Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI X79 BIG BANG X POWER II OC  (Read 190 times)

fraser797Topic starter

• SERGEANT
MSI X79 BIG BANG X POWER II OC
« on: 18-October-19, 10:37:07 »

OK,

So instead of starting a new thread I'll keep this one - But there is a change of topic but based on the same board.

I've OC'ed several CPU's now on Asus motherboards but I have several MSI boards as well - So now it is time to OC a CPU with this board.  The CPU to be OC'ed is Xeon E5 2687 W_0 - I've been lucky to be able to get some of these now the prices have tumbled considerably.  After this CPU I'll be OC'ing a 4930 K (Ivy Bridge)__

I do know it is a BCLK OC btw and not a traditional ratio x multiplier OC !!!

OK, I'm stuck on one aspect - which is to get the x38 multiplier to show when I do a Passmark Performance Test in V9.0.  Other apps I use are Core Temps, AIDA 64 Engineer & ??? - So far I've only been able to see the x34 multiplier.

>>>Please not this is my 1st OC on an MSI board so please be patient (I do have a good idea how to get a good OC)__but a little help is needed - Even if it is to point out that something is not technically possible on a certain motherboard and or CPU.

I've seen the three modes for OC >>> Eco, Standard & OC Genie - I've also seen the options in "My OC Genie" where the voltages can be altered - So right now I'm trying to correlate the differences between what I learned on Asus motherboards with the MSI way of doing things and hopefully in a day or two I'll have covered some bases which enables me to move on with the OC.

a 360 mm Corsair H150i will be used on my test bench (usually I'm on air)__OK, please explain which setting in the BIOS is responsible to enable the x38 multiplier which is available on E5 2687 W_O_turbo

PS_I've experimented with turbo and EIST and C-States - (I've not seen C3 states on this board).

flobelix

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
    • Afterburner New Features Introduction | MSI
Re: MSI X79 BIG BANG X POWER II OC
« Reply #1 on: 18-October-19, 15:17:04 »

Split this post off for a new thread. Has nothing to do with the original topic.

Are you trying to oc with software or via bios?
MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK (MS-7A90) Bios 1.D0
Core i7 7820X @ 4404.45 MHz (44 * 100.1 MHz, fixed all cores), 1.245v - delidded and using der8auer Skylake-X Direct Die Frame
Corsair H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMR32GX4M4Z3200C16 @ 1602.9 MHz (DDR4-3206), 16-18-18-36-2t, 1.35v
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUKE 11G OC
1TB Crucial MX500 M.2 SSD + 2TB Crucial MX500 SSD
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W Platinum • +12V: 100A • +3.3V: 25A • +5V: 25A
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

fraser797Topic starter

• SERGEANT
Re: MSI X79 BIG BANG X POWER II OC
« Reply #2 on: 19-October-19, 03:56:57 »

ok next time I'll start a new thread and try to get it in the correct place.

I'll be clocking in the BIOS - I've spent a while experimenting as I can be slow on the uptake sometimes to understand things.  I see OC Genie is a special tool to OC from the motherboard and can be controlled in the BIOS or from the motherboard - From the motherboard it locks the screen in the BIOS - which could be useful possibly.  I 've also seen the core voltage gets bumped up considerably for an overclock on the motherboard direct OC - I've not tried this yet but will try it after I get the manual OC done.

I was a total newbie at OC'ing before the few Asus OC's that have been completed - All manually done.

I've seen the options__***EIST_(Intel_Speed_Step)__and ***Turbo Technology 2__these seem to have to be enabled to get the higher multipliers__and also__***C States need to be enabled as well to get the higher multipliers.

Yesterday at some point in the "standard OC" window I did manage to get the x38 multiplier to make an appearance but I forgot how I did this.

Apart from the parameters above are there any other options that need to be enabled or disabled to get the max. multi.?
Pages: [1]   Go Up