Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GS60-2PE draw power when turned off  (Read 299 times)

blookers.obolukTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
GS60-2PE draw power when turned off
« on: 08-November-19, 20:58:04 »

Hello guys!

Something weird is happening with battery on my MSI GS60-2PE 2014 laptop. The battery is 1 year old as the old one used off after 4 years of daily using the laptop (with power AC connected almost all the time, sporadically used the battery power source or when gaming). I've bought a desktop for 2 months ago though, so I charged laptop battery to 100%, turned it off and put it on a shelf before I moved to PC. Since then the battery discharged itself 2 times to less than 0%, in just a week! Lemmie explain. About a week after I put it on a shelf I picked it up to check some stuff there, tried to start it, but couldn't. The power button was not responding, no LED indicator, like the laptop was completely dead, even when I connected power source to it, but after 30-40 minutes of being connected to AC the battery LED finally started to lit, and I could start laptop like normal, but the battery percentage was only 2% when I logged into Windows. Exactly the same thing happened for just 3 weeks ago... so I've started to read stuff on internet in finding an answer why it happening and saw some recommendations about checking & disabling power saving features in Device Manager of Windows 10. I've disabled all of them (only keyboard wake up and Bluetooth was set to not save power) but it wasn't that as the laptop still draw power when turned off. I've charged battery to 98% for 3 days ago and it's on 72% today. Scary... What's going on? Someone could tell me what to do, to put it on a shelf and not carrying about dead battery in next 2 months? Fast start in Windows is disabled since day 1 of this Windows installation, no hibernation. I understand that Li-Polymer batteries are discharging itself when not in use, but not this speed. Thanks in advance.

Amaella

• MAJOR
Re: GS60-2PE draw power when turned off
« Reply #1 on: 09-November-19, 03:34:24 »

From what I read, this appears to be pretty standard with windows 10... I use the laptop regularly and usually plug it in after I am done using it so it recharges again, but I did notice that it discharges to 0% even if it's completely shut off when I don't use it for a bit and forget to plug it in. Can't really care though, so idk how long it takes but I generally don't go more than a few days without it. What would concern me more is that it took such a long time to be able to turn on after you plugged it in, it should be pretty much instantly ready to go. Tried resetting the EC? There should be a pin sized hole on the bottom somewhere, it basically has the effect of disconnecting the battery when you press it. Sometimes it helps with small weird behaviors like this. Also, msi has a battery calibration app - tried that?
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktops:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
                          i7-7740x, msi x299 raider, msi gtx 1060 armor 6GB, 2x8GB RAM, NZXT h440
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 09-November-19, 11:08:16 »

Thank you for your time.
Unbelievable that modern Windows 10 draw power when turned off out of the box at all, and that it's because of it, with all power saving, wakening features and fast boot disabled. I use my desktop as a daily driver since I bought it and laptop only when I'm travelling every 2 month or so. I hate to remember to charge it once a week or two or have it plugged in all the time to not self-destroy the battery within 1-2 week of not using it, as after this time, like in my case, the battery is completely discharged and discharging level is on it's highest, very deep. I can't even start laptop in 30-40 minutes after AC has been connected to it... it's not responding to power button before the battery charging LED start to lit after this time. It happened me 2 times already. One day if I forget to charge, it will not be possible to start it anymore, without taking the battery out and using power source only as it won't start with a dead battery as I already had a dead battery in it and couldn't start it at all, before I took it out and used AC. It's ridiculous and some hacks (if it's really a normal behavior) must exists to prevent it from happening? Not just to deep discharging like in my case, but discharging at all. Is microcrap really so crappy? I guess I can't blame them and they don't bother about all batteries they destroy? Why... Some explanation to it? It's not happening on my Android smartphones. They can be powered off 1 year and battery goes down from 100 to 60-70% within this time and both devices uses the same type of battery technology.

It wasn't a trouble before when laptop was my daily driver and I didn't even knew about this misbehavior cause it was plugged in almost all the time to AC. I'll test to reset EC and calibrate the battery with MSI Battery Calibration tool but all this takes time to verify. May someone check my BIOS settings? Maybe there's something which should be disabled/enabled? It looks good for me though.

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #3 on: 09-November-19, 18:50:10 »

Unfortunately MSI has some notebooks that suffer from a poor battery storage design.
Other than pulling it, it will be drained in the matter of 30 days no matter what you do.
MSI will claim this is normal behaviour .... 
For their notebook Yes, as I have never seen this behaviour in any other brand.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 11-November-19, 15:54:13 »

Unfortunately MSI has some notebooks that suffer from a poor battery storage design. Other than pulling it, it will be drained in the matter of 30 days no matter what you do. MSI will claim this is normal behaviour .... For their notebook Yes, as I have never seen this behaviour in any other brand.

You must kidding me? Even if they say it's a normal behavior, no matter what they say, it's not. It's just their poor designed hardware which MSI should pay a price for. I can't believe what I'm reading :think:
Can someone take a look at my BIOS settings? Maybe there's something which need to be turned off/on?

I've checked two other laptops with Windows 10 installed on them, an 10 years old Samsung and 2 years old Lenovo with Intel Core i5 with 6700 processor on-board and they aren't discharged themselves. I can truly tell you that hibernation state on them take less power than mine MSI laptop being disconnected and completely turned off...

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #5 on: 11-November-19, 16:56:54 »

Can someone take a look at my BIOS settings? 
Your behind 1 in your Bios updates https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS60-2PE-Ghost-Pro#down-bios
Go to Device Manager, expand Hidden Devices, update Firmware.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 12-November-19, 05:44:28 »

I know that BIOS isn't updated to the latest E16H2IMS.122 version (a version just before it is flashed though) and to be honest, I don't believe it will solve my problem with power drawing as per MSI it only fixes HDD visibility issues. EC is up to date.
Laptop is running fine and newer had any trouble except the power drawing when it's completely turned off, so it's not anything I will do just to have the latest. It'a a nonsense imo, at least when MSI doesn't tell right off that it will fix this kind of issue.
What kind of firmware should I update in Device Manager? There's couple of hidden questions marks but they're related to paired Bluetooth devices which actually are not connected to the laptop.

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #7 on: 12-November-19, 11:00:13 »

What kind of firmware should I update in Device Manager? 
You update the FIRMWARE ... Its the Bios.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 12-November-19, 18:33:55 »

How you want me to update BIOS through Device Manager? It's impossible. I'm not gonna update BIOS just to have a newer one and possibly mess something, especially if it doesn't gonna solve my trouble.
Anyone else could put some cents to this thread and tell if you have the same trouble with power as me? Anyone else could take a look at my BIOS setting and can surely tell that everything is set up correctly and may not impact power drawing?

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #9 on: 12-November-19, 19:21:07 »

How you want me to update BIOS through Device Manager?   It's impossible.

I'm not gonna update BIOS
Whatever .....

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 13-November-19, 17:46:32 »

I don't have anything like that on mine, and to be honest I've never seen it on any PC I was using im my whole life.

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #11 on: 13-November-19, 18:05:52 »

I don't have anything like that on mine,
I've never seen it on any PC I was using im my whole life.
I'm guessing by your skills you haven't been at this too long.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 15-November-19, 18:48:11 »

I don't have this position in Device Manager mate. It's simply not there. Maybe my laptop don't support it? I've never seen something like that in my whole life, to be honest.
Could you MSI staff take a look at this thread and help me solve the trouble with your bad designed stuff for god damn? Or should I forget MSI as a good brand and choose any brand else in the future? It's a disaster that it works this way, on a device which I've paid a fortune back in time. Or maybe you want me be buy a new laptop with MSI logo on it as it's an 5 years old device? You can then just forget I buy something else from you. It never gonna happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up