Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Workstations and Dock  (Read 212 times)

chris.hronekTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
MSI Workstations and Dock
« on: 12-February-20, 09:21:50 »

Anybody have a good dock solution?  I'm testing a WS75 to possibly be our go to workstation at a Mechanical Contracting company that uses Autodesk Products all day.  So far I like the model I got but have had a few issues.  For this to be a mainstream machine and compete against the other bigger players in the workstation market (Dell, HP, Lenovo) There has to be a good, easy, fast, docking option.  I'm coming from a 3-4 year old HP Zbook and I had one cord to connect to my dock that connected my laptop to my monitors, lan, external hd and powered it.  I bought the MSI dock assuming it was thunderbolt 3 only to find out it was usb-c and didnt supply power.  Then I bought another dock (CalDigit USB-C pro dock) with has 87w power only to find out (after calling MSI) that these laptops draw to much power to power it with thunderbolt and I needed "active displayport" cords to use hdmi monitors.  HP had a duel cord that had two plugs in it to make it work.  I'm fine plugging in two but that should have been defined from the start. 

Also every page on the website show the msi creator center having setting for Autodesk Products but once I got mine it only has Adobe stuff which is very disappointing. 

Is anyone using a dock with their MSI workstations?  I'm looking for options.  I'd prefer it be a Thunderbolt 3 so I can use the speed.  Otherwise I have no idea why make it a thunderbolt 3 instead of a standard usb-c.  Just trying to start the conversion, maybe I'm missing something.  I want this to work.  Going forward our department would be buying almost 100 more this year but even sticking with the MSI dock I can only find it on Amazon from a company that says they only have 3 left....... Maybe this isn't an option yet but I'd really like it to be.

Please share your thoughts on these workstations being a good solution for a mechanical contractor that uses Autodesk products like CAD and Revit all day everyday and if your using a dock.

-Thanks

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: MSI Workstations and Dock
« Reply #1 on: 12-February-20, 09:23:17 »

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: MSI Workstations and Dock
« Reply #2 on: 12-February-20, 09:25:32 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up