Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Optix MAG271CQR flashing/flickering  (Read 301 times)

cursedTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
MSI Optix MAG271CQR flashing/flickering
« on: 09-May-20, 05:29:06 »

Hi,

I have an issue with a new MSI Optix MAG271CQR monitor connected by DisplayPort. Brightness varies with FPS, so in situations with rapidly changing FPS 60 > 144 Hz for example there's a strobe effect which is really bad on bright / white colours - actually makes me a bit sick. Not usually applicable in-game, but for example when application changing

Disabling FreeSynch does prevent the issue because monitor FPS won't vary, but I bought this screen for that... Anyone have any advice on settings to tweak to solve the issue? Otherwise it'll have to be a return :(

zerijelly

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
Re: MSI Optix MAG271CQR flashing/flickering
« Reply #1 on: 10-May-20, 21:18:14 »

Could you know the monitor firmware version(see attached picture)?

cursedTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 12-May-20, 14:03:13 »

It's FW.013

festusmcracken

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 14-May-20, 13:30:06 »

I too am having this problem. Mine is a MAG271C with the same firmware as yours. I've spent many sleepless nights searching and searching for fixes and trying them with no luck at all. One of the issues is this is a problem that seems to happen to a lot of non-MSI monitors and there's a dozen reported fixes for it. Some people fixed it by getting a new cord, some people fixed it with driver settings etc.  I plan to do more testing before the return date and if none of them have any effect I might have to return the monitor. It's not a bad monitor once you fiddle with the settings but if the freesync is broke, it's still defective even if I could live without FS.

cursedTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 22-May-20, 17:10:18 »

After trying everything I could think of, tried contacting MSI directly. They blamed AMDs graphics drivers. As festusmcracken has a similar issue, on a very similar screen, I suspect truth is there's some issue between MSIs implimentation of FreeSync in firmware/hardware that is not happy with AMD's mid-2020 graphics drivers. Let this be a lesson to anyone buying MSI's slightly older ~2018? era FreeSync screens. They sync, but may destoy your eyes!

If you buy one, would suggest checking you're ok before leaving return period. Enable freesynch, set monitor refresh to >100 Hz, boot one of the games below and find a situation where FPS isn't stable. Move your head from normal 90 degree viewing angle to ~20 degrees, so you're looking along the screen rather than at it. 

Fix: Disable Freesync via monitor menu or graphics driver settings, or by running games in windowed modes, not fullscreen, or lock FPS

Games confirmed with the issue:
Heroes of the Storm
Overwatch
Apex Legends
Ashes of the Singularity (very very bad!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up