Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Athlon 64 3400  (Read 5859 times)

McGeyser

Athlon 64 3400
« on: 23-November-03, 18:15:30 »

I have just received an Athlon 64 3400+. This chip is not a public release yet, but in 3200 mode I get horrible 3dMark03 Scores. 4493 is the highest I have seen for this rig using the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3400
K8T- FIS2R- Bios 1.1
ATI 9700 Pro-Catalyst 3.9
512M Corsair XMS Platinum 3200 TWINX 2-2-5-2 -if I set higher,3DMark03 scores are worse.

Questions being:
1. Bios 1.2 will not flash, says the model number is different from the one expected
2. DRAM clock always at 333 regardless of settings, should I get 400?
3. 3Dmark03 I get a LOW cpu score of 155.
4. Doesn't the manual say the board will support a 3400? It doesn't.

Could someone give me some insight as to why my friend running a single channel board with 1.2 G of PC2700, AMD 2200 and a ATI 9800 Pro can get 5200 from 3DMark03, and after all I spent I am worse off??

Thanks,

McGeyser

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 23-November-03, 22:46:27 »

I knew I should have bought an ASUS.

Bibihest

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    • http://vivaldi.dk
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 24-November-03, 02:12:56 »
  • Best Answer

• First, a score in 3Dmark isn't everything. If the cpu is faster in everything else, then whats the problem?? Yeah, you should have a beter score definetly, but could be a driver issue or some other software conflict or wrong BIOS settings.

You say your scores get worse when you set your mem higher? Are you sure the MEM can run at those speeds. You can check MSI's site for incompatible mem modules. Hope you get a solution, because I think it's a great board and CPU (at the moment :-D))

1. I don't know about the BIOS. Don't think anyone have tried that yet so where did you get that?
    2. It should say 400MHz, but if your mem isn't 100% compatible, maybe they run slover.
    3. If your score is 155, then it's not the CPU and board, it's the whole thing including software and drivers. Somethings wrong :)
    4. The manual says that it supports:
    "Supports up to 3200+, 3400+, or higher CPU"

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 24-November-03, 02:53:31 »

Thanks for the reply Bibihest. The 3DMark03 test was a confirmation to myself that it was money well spent on the new gear. I am very disappointed in my CPU score as that is my major weakness in the test. I'm heartbroken (no returns). Cool N Quiet is a crash festival of torment and blitzed hopes.

1. I got the Bios from the update page. Update Live will not patch to 1.2, yet on the D/L page for K8T Neo it says 1.2 BIOS available and will fix DDR issues. 1.2 will not install, says it's not for my model-K8T Neo FIS2R 1.0. EDIT: can't find that Bios ver. here now, must have misread something.

2.  I am running Platinum Corsair 3200 matched 2 cas, the MEM itself runs fine in this mode, and alot better on my Asus A7N8X. I have tried all configs of Bios to resolve the DRAM clock always at 333, including perfomance and auto settings. No avail.

3. I Swapped my Asus A7N8X mainboard and chip with the K8T and 3400, using the same box and hard drive without doing a fresh install of XP pro, I was surprised this worked without the BSOD. The board found all it's drivers and Device Manager is solid. Maybe some drivers got stuck so to speak, but I removed all the apps portaining to the old board. My CPU score is horrible and visibly worse in games and apps than my Asus rig. I have about 5G of free space on a 100G drive.

4. The chip is stamped 3400 and I got it from a reliable source. The Bios will not recognize a 3400 and in turn XP sees it as a 3200 as well.

Any other suggestions are welcomed, thought if I do a fresh install of XP pro and get the same reults I will be really discouraged.

MuffinMan

(No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 24-November-03, 03:54:27 »

Originally posted by McGeyser
    1. I got the Bios from the update page. Update Live will not patch to 1.2, yet on the D/L page for K8T Neo it says 1.2 BIOS available and will fix DDR issues. 1.2 will not install, says it's not for my model-K8T Neo FIS2R 1.0. EDIT: can't find that Bios ver. here now, must have misread something..

Yea, there isn't a BIOS 1.2 yet. You probably downloaded a 1.2 BIOS for another board in error, which is why it wouldn't load ;)

I have BIOS version 1.14 if you want to give that a try. Let me know and I'll mail it to you (post your email addy)

You say Cool 'n' quiet isn't up to scratch. Without wanting to sound condescening, I just want to make sure that you (a) installed the AMD Athlon64 driver from their website and (b) set your power options to Minimal Power Management.

Also, just a quick check to make sure you're using SP1 (plus updates) with your XP and also the latest VIA drivers. I'm sure you are, but it's always best to ask these questions ;)

Additionally, have you tried swapping the memory around between the 3 slots (and not just 1 and 2 as is usual) as well as only using 1 strip of memory to see if it will then recognise it as 400mhz?

Lastly, you mentioned about your friend getting a better 3dMark2K3 score. Well, he does have a better graphics card and, in 3dMark2k3 at least, there is a world of difference in scores between a 9700 and 9800.

T|2IPL3_6

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 24-November-03, 04:01:56 »

Originally posted by McGeyser
    3. I Swapped my Asus A7N8X mainboard and chip with the K8T and 3400, using the same box and hard drive without doing a fresh install of XP pro, I was surprised this worked without the BSOD. The board found all it's drivers and Device Manager is solid. Maybe some drivers got stuck so to speak, but I removed all the apps portaining to the old board. My CPU score is horrible and visibly worse in games and apps than my Asus rig. I have about 5G of free space on a 100G drive.

I would suggest you do a fresh install of th OS. Just swapping the board and cpu isn't going to cut it.

MuffinMan

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 24-November-03, 04:18:52 »

Oh hell, I didn't notice that. How can you not do a fresh install and then complain about performance? ;)

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 24-November-03, 08:10:18 »

Wow! I'm an idiot. After a fresh install(over the existing install same partition) I now have acheived a 654 CPU score for 3DMark03. Heh, well I doubt anyone else will be this dumb but here is what happens in such a case. Thanks for your replies guys. I limp away, embarrassed and happily corrected. Money well spent after all.

I still have the problem of the 333 SDRAM clock not going to 400, I am moving my gear downstairs to swap sticks. Thanks again for the help.

:beerchug:

zerox_no1

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 24-November-03, 09:04:48 »

654 CPU score? I get 740p using Athlon64 3200+, so shouldn't you get higher then me?? Is it because your memory running at 333?

Here is my compare url:
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1552670

MuffinMan

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 24-November-03, 09:16:15 »

Originally posted by zerox_no1
    654 CPU score? I get 740p using Athlon64 3200+, so shouldn't you get higher then me?? Is it because your memory running at 333?

Here is my compare url:
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1552670

I get 676 (80.7/11.1), so I think his isn't out of line totally.

Even though it's labelled a CPU score, the Vid card is still used, and Radeons are far more processor hungry than Geforces. It's always been one of my bugbears (along with crappy drivers) about going back to ATI.

zerox_no1

(No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 24-November-03, 11:46:28 »

I did not know that but now i do.

:)

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 25-November-03, 06:34:57 »

Hey all, I re ran the 3dMark03 again and pulled a 684 CPU score. Though my overall score went to 5367 from 5474 w/ CPU score of 654. I still can not get the Bios to recognize my memory at 400 yet, nor will it see a 3400 only a 3200. I guess my problem is dependent on the next Bios release. Thanks again for your input.

MuffinMan

(No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 25-November-03, 08:45:07 »

Have you tried taking out one of the strips of ram to see if the single one gets recognised at 400?

Maybe I missed it earlier, but exactly how are you seeing what frequency your memory is running at? The system won't boot if you set it to 400Mhz? Or are you using software within windows, or what? For example, 3dMark03 states that my memory is running at 0Mhz ;)

Another couple of questions. Have you installed the Athlon64 driver yet? Have you enabled Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS? Are you running MSI Core Center?

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 25-November-03, 17:24:10 »

Hey MuffinMan, I have tried every configuration of the RAM including single strip. The DRAM Clock in Bios always reports 333. I have examined the RAM again and it is definitely 3200 Cas 2 Corsair XMS Platinum. I can set the system to limit 400, but will make no difference. 333 is always reported on the opening Bios screen.

Where do I get the driver for the processor? I have not enabled Cool N Quiet in the Bios and I am not currently running Core Center. Thanks MuffinMan.

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 25-November-03, 18:22:24 »

Ok, I found the processor driver  on AMD's website. Unfortunately all it did was lower my 3Dmark03 score ???-). No luck on 400Mhz DRAM or 3400 recognition. I guess I await the next Bios release. Thanks again.

MuffinMan

(No subject)
    « Reply #15 on: 26-November-03, 10:01:23 »

Sorry about the lower score  :think:

Anyway, as I said, I do have a copy of the 1.14 Bios (it was on the German MSI site for awhile) which I've been using with no problems. Maybe it'll help you? Let me know if you want to take a chance with it and I'll mail it to you.

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 26-November-03, 11:39:38 »

:lol_anim: the lower CPU score could be a myriad of other things besides the proc driver by now. I have been doing my homework since my last posts. I checked out
    Anandtech and learned alot. Unfortunately nothing I learned related to my problems exactly.

MuffinMan I will PM you my e-mail, thanks again for the help. The Bios is in English though it is a German release? I hope :smile:.

Also, you say Cool N Quiet is stable? Have they opened the AGP/PCI Lock with 1.14?

Bibihest

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
      • http://vivaldi.dk
    (No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 26-November-03, 13:03:38 »
  • Best Answer

• I don't think the 1.14 BIOS is quite as stable as 1.1, but it runs ok, but not brilliant, but maybe it'll fix your 3400 problem.

If someone else wants it, get it here http://msi-1.colt-isc.de/download/bios/67xx/6702v114.zip

mitodna

(No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 26-November-03, 13:36:02 »

hmm, i wondering how you guys get the 3400+? is it a 2.2GHz chip?

what is the advantages of BIOS 1.14? how do i flash it? i usually use Live Update

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #19 on: 26-November-03, 14:48:19 »

Thanks for the link Bibihest, I am going to try it now.

To be honest mitodna I really don't know how fast the 3400 is. I got it from someone who is associated with AMD near where I live. I have not been able to get the cpu to run at 3400 because it doesn't exist yet as far as Bios recognition(only sees a 3200).

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #20 on: 26-November-03, 15:25:05 »

Bios 1.14 is a no go for 3400 or 400 DRAM clock. I guess I have exhausted every last resource, I'll just have to wait patiently for the next Bios. Thanks again.

mitodna

(No subject)
    « Reply #21 on: 28-November-03, 14:25:42 »

i dunno why the DRAM can set to DDR400, is the RAM is not verified or what? if the processor is recognized as 3200+ then the speed should be 200*10, so the DRAM should doing 1:1 sync right?

McGeyser

512M OCZ 3500 Platinum
    « Reply #22 on: 09-December-03, 14:00:16 »

Hey all, I put new ram in and I have finally achieved a 400 MHz DRAM clock. I start now to wonder if the 3200 Corsair memory I purchased from Ebay was intentionally mislabled at my expense. If you change the labeled heat spreaders how would someone tell exactly what they are getting? It took me a year to figure this out, a little late for a refund. Mike Cao@Ebay, you are a Shady MF!

My CPU score for 3Dmark03 is now 756 from 698-704 with 333 DRAM clock. I can not get past the 214 FSB mark with Aquamark 3, it crashes consistently at 215. 3DMark03 will sporadicaly endure a 216-218 FSB setting.
    I had to set all my RAM timings at auto to get a stable 214 FSB. Any attempt at fixed timings yields blue screen. The RAM is rated 2-2-5-2 at DDR 400, so it kind of bumz me to have to use auto settings.

3400 Support is still unavailable, running in 3200 Mode.

MSI where are you? My manual says 3400+ Support and I am %100 positive my CPU is not labeled improperly in this particular case. Also, is the PCI/AGP Lock even a possibility or are you baiting us to purchase this average in comparison board??

Has anyone acutally SEEN a post from MSI or their tech department in here EVER?

Sorry to B*tch and moan but get it together MSI, we need answers. I feel more sorry for the FX51 1800MHz users, I hope they fix you guys up soon. How DID Tom's Hardware get it to go 2.2GHz??? Was he bought off, or did he actually perform these tests?

MSI you need to be more concerned with customer satisfaction than paying a half-ass PR site to hype your gear. What happened to the bold flashing Tom's Hardware billboard on your main site? For a couple of days, the flashing Tom's banner was the only thing working, the forums and links were dead. Priorities?? Tom's Banner is no where to be found on the main page now. Wonder why.

PolarBear

3400+ possibly an early sample
    « Reply #23 on: 15-December-03, 08:56:45 »

Gentlemen, check this:

Sent :  Monday, December 15, 2003 9:26 PM
    To :  "XXX"
    Subject :  RE: got an athlon 64 3400+

I have one I got months ago labled 3400+ which was actually an engineering
    sample that ran at 2GHz.  AMD was making that a 3400, but they changed to
    3200.  Do you have a pic of it?  It is not a 3400+ if it auto clocks to
    2GHz.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 2:48 AM
    To: XX@amdzone.com
    Subject: got an athlon 64 3400+

Hi XX,

Yesterday I bought an Athlon 64 3400+ in Taipei, Taiwan. But so far it only
    shows up as a 3200+ on my MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R and clocks at 2Ghz. Overclocking
    is only stable to 2.1 Ghz. I hope a BIOS update will fix that. Any
    suggestions?

If you'd like, I'll send you a picture - it appears genuine and undoctored.

Perhaps we both have an early sample.
    I'll try out the BIOS 1.14 and see what's what.
    P.S. Got XP 64 - some interesting performance but hardly any drivers.

Best to yas

McGeyser

(No subject)
    « Reply #24 on: 16-December-03, 14:33:12 »

Ahhh man, if I got a CPU that is mislabled on top of my Ram that was mislabled, I'm going to lose it! I guess we will have to wait for a Bios with 11X mult. to know for sure. Thanks for the info.

cwigster

(No subject)
    « Reply #25 on: 18-December-03, 20:33:16 »

My guess is MSI (or any other m/b manafacturer) probably won't release a bios to support a CPU that has not itself been officically released. As far as I can see the 3200 is the only version avail in my neck of the woods, that being Australia.

Perhaps some of your perf issues are due to the CPU not being a full retail release (ie an engineering release or something).

If I were you I wouldn't  pin my hopes on a new bios release (even if it does support the 3400) fixing your problems given the fact you don't fully know the  background of your CPU.

Having said all that I do really  hope it does work for you.

regards

Craig
    Pages: [1]   Go Up