Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Motherboard G316551825 H110M PRO-VH  (Read 424 times)

chrisowen876Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
MSI Motherboard G316551825 H110M PRO-VH
« on: 16-May-20, 10:37:42 »

In December 2019 my old hard disk died so I bought a new Seagate 4TB disk.
A month later it started constantly disconnecting and reconnecting every 20 seconds or so.
I found it worked slightly better on a different SATA port, but then it started failing again a few days later.
So I contacted Seagate and they sent me a replacement hard disk and the same thing happened a few weeks later.

I am reading that I have to update my motherboard hard disk drivers, is this correct?
I cant find anything about this on your website, I have updated everything I can find.
What can I do? Maybe I need an earlier version of some driver? I find this happens sometimes?

Also I just spent the last 2 hours trying to register my product but the MSI website wouldn't even accept the information either manually or using the automatic sw, and I couldn't find any other way of contacting MSI other than here on this forum. What can I do about this also? Not very impressed so far..
Again This is the information written on my MSI Motherboard:   G316551825   19002    H110M PRO-VH

One other unrelated question, in the bios settings for windows options when I select windows 8/10 boot with WHQL the system does not boot, it starts up with the MSI BIOS

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: MSI Motherboard G316551825 H110M PRO-VH
« Reply #1 on: 16-May-20, 11:18:41 »

I just found an old, slightly longer SATA cable and it seems to be more stable than the original shorter 6GB/s SATA cable.
I am starting to think that the SATA hardware design is too high performance for its own good, and the engineers have not fully considered worst case tolerances.

If possible I would still would like some answers to the other questions I raised, especially the one about windows 10 WHGL support.
I am not even running windows 7 and this is the only setting that boots!

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 17-May-20, 07:44:29 »

The cable turned out to only be an improvement, and not a fix. The Seagate 4TB GREEN hard drive is still disconnecting, but much less often.
Sorry to have to say this but this is not supposed to be 1987 again, what is wrong with modern tech?

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 17-May-20, 08:24:08 »

One other unrelated question, in the bios settings for windows options when I select windows 8/10 boot with WHQL the system does not boot, it starts up with the MSI BIOS
If possible I would still would like some answers to the other questions I raised, especially the one about windows 10 WHGL support.
I am not even running windows 7 and this is the only setting that boots!

That's expected, you need to install OS in UEFI Mode after Enable this option.
If there is no such detected, it will go straight to the BIOS Setup.

The cable turned out to only be an improvement, and not a fix. The Seagate 4TB green hard drive is still disconnecting but less often. Sorry to have to say this but this is not supposed to be 1987 again, what is wrong with modern tech?

* change SATA cable for the drive
* change power cable for the drive
* change the SATA port for the drive
if none helps:
* test the drive in another PC
* check for firmware update for the drive

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 17-May-20, 09:03:29 »

Hi Svet, thanks for reply.

Is it possible to convert the SSD with my win10 installed on it from MBR to GBT to allow it to use UEFI mode WITHOUT having to re-install windows and everything else from scratch?
I am reading various pages and it is just not clear..
https://www.techdim.com/mbr-vs-gpt-one-chosen-new-ssd-hdd/
The 4TB drive is already GBT in order to use the full size. I assume having two different modes is ok.

Regarding the Seagate disconnection issue, it seems to be a common fault with Seagate. It will be the last product I will ever buy from them no matter what after causing this much trouble.
I have tried all of your suggestions already many times and even tried two of the same Seagate 4TB drives after they replaced the first with the same result. Which is why I am now looking at the MSI motherboard.
I didnt know you could get a firmware update for a hard drive.. I actually came to this MSI forum to see if there was a driver update for the motherboard SATA interface.

My view as a hardware engineer is that there is either a SATA serial interface clock timing tolerance issue or a logic voltage levels tolerance issue.
That is why a different cable is making such a difference. The better cable in this case is actually worse.
In this day and age seeing such tolerance failures when there are so many simulation tools available is unacceptable.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 17-May-20, 09:34:48 »

I was just able to use the command mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS to update my SSD to GPT.

There was one error "failed to update ReAgent.XML. Try to manually disable and enable WinRE"
Have no clue what this is about yet, but I am able to start and use my computer.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 17-May-20, 09:53:32 »

Hi Svet, thanks for reply.

Is it possible to convert the SSD with my win10 installed on it from MBR to GBT to allow it to use UEFI mode WITHOUT having to re-install windows and everything else from scratch?
I am reading various pages and it is just not clear..
https://www.techdim.com/mbr-vs-gpt-one-chosen-new-ssd-hdd/
The 4TB drive is already GBT in order to use the full size. I assume having two different modes is ok.

Yes, but its not recommended. Often doesn't works or may cause issues,
in any case backup your important data if you going to try it.
Else my suggest for such conversion you can find here:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=305105.msg1765701#msg1765701

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 17-May-20, 10:04:40 »

I disabled and re-enabled Reagentc and it said successful, so hopefully that means the windows recovery is still working. I also created a restore point ok.

I noticed my pc seems a little faster.
Also I seem to have a new drive letter D: system reserved.
I now have 4 partitions on the SSD: 100MB system reserved. 111GB NTFS. 100MB EFI partition. 511MB healthy recovery.

I am not sure if I can still make changes similar to bios by pressing del button at boot. If so will I need to change any defaults?

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 20-May-20, 09:42:36 »

I am not sure if I can still make changes similar to bios by pressing del button at boot. If so will I need to change any defaults?

What kind of changes did you mean?
Do you have any issues now left?

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 20-May-20, 09:55:39 »

I initially expected to not be able to access the MB bios anymore but nothing seems to be different, just the MSI logo at switch on.

Remaining issues:

Very occasional hard disk grinding like it did before, but not complete disconnection.
As well as a longer older SATA cable I had to choose the best most reliable SATA port.
It is alot better though, at one point it would disconnect every 20s or so and windows explorer would pop in the middle of writing a message for example.
Since this is likely a tolerance issue I cant say whether it is MSI or Seagate which is ultimately at fault.

Also I cannot register my MSI MB product on my MSI account. I got the information directly from the MB so it is correct unless this number is for something else..

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 20-May-20, 13:56:00 »

Very occasional hard disk grinding like it did before, but not complete disconnection.
As well as a longer older SATA cable I had to choose the best most reliable SATA port.
It is alot better though, at one point it would disconnect every 20s or so and windows explorer would pop in the middle of writing a message for example.
Since this is likely a tolerance issue I cant say whether it is MSI or Seagate which is ultimately at fault.

try a different HDD, like WD and see if will works fine
assume if you already replaced power and data cables and changed the SATA ports

hardcore.games

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #11 on: 20-May-20, 19:09:48 »

I suggest checking to be sure the PSU is adequate, a bad PSU can damage hard disks fast

Cooler Master HAF 932, Corsair HX1000i
MSI owes me a ton of points when they disabled the social logon

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 22-May-20, 22:24:11 »

The same problem has returned, as bad as ever.
I will look into the power supply. However wouldnt I see issues with my video card also?

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #13 on: 23-May-20, 08:01:33 »

I disconnected the front fan and since this was the only thing being used on this 12V output cable, I used that to power just the Seagate 4TB hard disk.
My power supply may be a little on the low side at 400W rating. It is currently powering a 7th gen i7, 16GB, 128MB SSD, 4TB hard disk, and a Nvidia 1060 3GB video card. I just kept upgrading..

It maybe that the power supply is weaker when hot and that is when the hard disk issues begin.
Or it could be a noisy 12V rail, but the SSD had no trouble sharing the same 12V output. Anyway we shall see over the next week or so. On the 4TB HD I was just able to copy a 5GB file from one folder to another quickly and without error.
I also have a 650W supply on order.  I have a very hard time believing that I am using 400W let alone 650W though. Perhaps these PS ratings are nonsense and should not be trusted.

hardcore.games

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #14 on: 23-May-20, 15:44:30 »

I disconnected the front fan and since this was the only thing being used on this 12V output cable, I used that to power just the Seagate 4TB hard disk. My power supply may be a little on the low side at 400W rating. It is currently powering a 7th gen i7, 16GB, 128MB SSD, 4TB hard disk, and a Nvidia 1060 3GB video card. I just kept upgrading.. It maybe that the power supply is weaker when hot and that is when the hard disk issues begin. Or it could be a noisy 12V rail, but the SSD had no trouble sharing the same 12V output. Anyway we shall see over the next week or so. On the 4TB HD I was just able to copy a 5GB file from one folder to another quickly and without error. I also have a 650W supply on order. I have a very hard time believing that I am using 400W let alone 650W though. Perhaps these PS ratings are nonsense and should not be trusted.

400W these days is a tad weak while the 650W unit is definitely a move towards a safer place. All PSU units are most efficient at around 40% load. 

Having some reserve also covers gaming when TDP rises above the usual levels. Metro 2033 was reputed to push TDP to 120%.

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #15 on: 24-May-20, 11:06:04 »

As an analog designer I was thinking peak efficiency would be around 70% of power supply rating.
However for these PC power supplies it depends on the several factors, hence the range 40% to 80%.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

"Ideally your unit will delivers plenty of power to your components and offers some extra headroom in case you want to attach additional components later. Most power supplies hit their peak efficiency levels with loads in the range of 40 to 80 percent. Building to about 50 to 60 percent of a PSU’s capacity is advisable to achieve maximum efficiency and yet leave room for future expansion.

An efficient PSU is a better PSU
A power supply’s efficiency rating is important because higher-efficiency units tend to have better components, waste less power, and generate less heat—all of which contribute to less fan noise. A power supply with an efficiency rating of 80 percent provides 80 percent of its rated wattage as power to your system, while losing the other 20 percent as heat.
Five of 80 Plus’s certification levels.
Look for units with “80 Plus” certification. Though the certification process isn’t especially stringent, 80 Plus-certified units are confirmed to be at least 80 percent efficient; and 80 Plus has tiers for even more-efficient units, including 80 Plus Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Titanium certifications. Power supplies in the higher certification tiers tend to command very high prices, however. Average users with average needs should probably stick to the simple 80 Plus or the 80 Plus Bronze level unless they find a particularly juicy deal on a Silver or Gold PSU.
Corsair provides a thorough overview of power supply efficiency and of the 80 Plus program, if you’d like to learn more."

hardcore.games

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #16 on: 24-May-20, 14:58:35 »

back in the day I made a PSU from discrete components starting with a bridge rectifier and a large MOSFET managed by a zener diode. This keep the voltage very steady.

I used a NE555 to handle the PWM feeding the zener and the power MOSFET

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
  • Yes, that is a picture of me as the Bud Knight.
« Reply #17 on: 24-May-20, 18:59:00 »

Just because it has an 80 plus rating, even platinum, doesn't make it an inherently good supply....it just means it matches some efficiency rating. It could still be a crap, chinese design that when pushed to 100% loading will fail easily.

Looking at the designs is more important than even the efficiency anymore.....those ratings are junk ratings to begin with. 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

There's a good list that rates them according to their designs, not just by some poorly devised rating.

I'll trust that list before I trust some 'industry standard' that only covers a single specific aspect, and allows for great safety measures to be overlooked.

hardcore.games

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #18 on: 24-May-20, 20:52:17 »

Just because it has an 80 plus rating, even platinum, doesn't make it an inherently good supply....it just means it matches some efficiency rating. It could still be a crap, chinese design that when pushed to 100% loading will fail easily. Looking at the designs is more important than even the efficiency anymore.....those ratings are junk ratings to begin with. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/ There's a good list that rates them according to their designs, not just by some poorly devised rating. I'll trust that list before I trust some 'industry standard' that only covers a single specific aspect, and allows for great safety measures to be overlooked.

I am more or less in agreement with that assessment of power supplies. 

I built a load tester to test a PSU, so :censored: accused me of copyright infringement, so every time see him around, I accuse him if making a false accusation which is an offence in my country.

I used high power (100W) resistors and a shunt ammeter to measure the load. Crude it but can test any claim of capacity.

Design is simple, SPST switch to enable or disable a given resistor. In parallel, more resistors increases the load.

Had to use aluminum to handle the heat from the resistors

Pages: [1]   Go Up