Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Gaming X 5700 XT insanely weird junction(GPU 2 in Afterburner) temperature b  (Read 273 times)

souller.jetsTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Check video example(HD processing atm): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qalUahi8fpA&feature=youtu.be

Hi Guys, I'm not that experienced but one thing concerns me, my partners version of 5700xt GPU junction temp jumps over 40c from GPU 1 sensor. My case is phanteks 400a with mesh 3 front fans + 1 exhaust. My card works at 70c under heavy load Metro Exodus 2k Ultra in stock 2100 mhz and 1180v. but junction goes to 110c, is it expected? I was expecting Better results according to Hardware Unboxed channel and some of the other reviews. Fans are set to 40% in and tuning, setting them to max doesn't do anything to the junction temp it seems, i will still act wonky as hell. For whatever reason it also sometimes doesn't show VRM temps but when it does its about 10c more than GPU1 sensor which i think is cool and expected. I don't even know what else to add tbh. Tried to undervolt it to 2000 frequency voltage 1107 according to "ancient gamers" it's a sweet spot, same :censored:  but about 105c. Tried to pull out my tempered glass from the case and I can see 1-3 C difference but nothing more.
Had anyone ever encountered something similar to my problem? Right now in stable with no black screens after reinstalling windows and troubleshooting that a lot of issues was caused by MSI SDK and Dragon Centre but this thing still worries me alot, should I RMA my card while I still have the time or?

Computer Type: Desktop MTower phanteks p400a
GPU: MSI 5700xt Gaming X overclocked memory to 1840 but it's the same in stock
CPU: 3600 with Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO , only set precision overdrive to Enabled in motherboard
Motherboard: MSI Mortar b450m Max
RAM:Crucial DDR4 8Gb 3600 Mhz pc- 28800 Ballistix Black RGB BL8G36C16U4BL in slot 2 and 4 Used XPM1 profile stable
PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 700 Вт ATX BN248
Case: PHANTEKS Eclipse P400A Black PH-EC400ATG_DBK01
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 pro 2004
GPU Drivers: latest AMD beta drivers drivers 20.5.1 or something
Chipset Drivers: not sure how to check that but i downloaded chipset drivers from AMD website
Background Applications: chrome, razer chroma+razer synapse, steam, msi afterburner, steelseries engine, telegram maybe.
Description of Original Problem: everything above
Troubleshooting: Tried to undervolt but its still the same, while undervolting caught some artifacts and returned to more stable stock + memory overclock (+90 from stock)

Nichrome

• Global Moderator

Hi

AMD says it's normal and expected.
But personally, my last card was HD7770 in 2013 and ever since I was avoiding AMD cards due to buggy drivers, issues with vRAM, and very odd "standards" of 110C on junction.

Yes, most people get this kind of temps on junction, as it's expected by AMD. I don't have a clue how is that going to affect its lifespan though.
I've seen people been also reapplying thermal paste, which was improving this temperature. But mind that depending on MSI's rules in your country, this may void warranty. So best check with them first: >>How to contact MSI.<<
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32.
99% of issues would be solved if people would read the manual first.

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi

AMD says it's normal and expected.
But personally, my last card was HD7770 in 2013 and ever since I was avoiding AMD cards due to buggy drivers, issues with vRAM, and very odd "standards" of 110C on junction.

Yes, most people get this kind of temps on junction, as it's expected by AMD. I don't have a clue how is that going to affect its lifespan though.
I've seen people been also reapplying thermal paste, which was improving this temperature. But mind that depending on MSI's rules in your country, this may void warranty. So best check with them first: >>How to contact MSI.<<
Thank you for answering, everywhere i look i see that junction temp should be about 20c above regular temp and not 40+

Gonna check MSI warranty in Russia to see if i can look into the card. thanks.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator

Let us know what they say.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32.
99% of issues would be solved if people would read the manual first.

OutroSpect

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey, replying from the other thread where you asked me this question. So did I fix my issue? Yes and no.

Both MSI Afterburner and Radeon overlay will display that my junction temperature is 108-112 degrees. Technically MSI afterburner called this gpu2. However, if HWiNFO is to be trusted (and several have indicicated to me that I should rely on this rather than HWMONITOR), the metric associated to the MSI/Radeon junction temperature is actually labelled as GPU hotspot instead! The metric for GPU junction temperature in MWiNFO is actually only 0-10 degrees higher than my regular GPU temperature. 

If HWiNFO is to be relied upon, this would imply that hot spot is not equal to junction temperature despite 90% of reddit or forum discussions which use these terms interchangeably and 80% of those responses just link to an article stating that AMD considers the termperatures to be normal... Not very useful. 

Since discovering that, I am no longer concerned with my temps as I rarely flirt with 80 degrees based on HWiNFO even at junction. I recall that my GPU (MSI 5700 XT Gaming X) was reviewed for very low temps. With the sensors on HWiNFO, this seems to agree with those reviews and I'm sure junction temps of 110 degrees would have been flagged otherwise. I can still be very wrong since I am not an expert in this area and may have arrived at an incorrect conclusion. But I am satisfied with my findings thus far. 

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey, replying from the other thread where you asked me this question. So did I fix my issue? Yes and no.

Both MSI Afterburner and Radeon overlay will display that my junction temperature is 108-112 degrees. Technically MSI afterburner called this gpu2. However, if HWiNFO is to be trusted (and several have indicicated to me that I should rely on this rather than HWMONITOR), the metric associated to the MSI/Radeon junction temperature is actually labelled as GPU hotspot instead! The metric for GPU junction temperature in MWiNFO is actually only 0-10 degrees higher than my regular GPU temperature.

If HWiNFO is to be relied upon, this would imply that hot spot is not equal to junction temperature despite 90% of reddit or forum discussions which use these terms interchangeably and 80% of those responses just link to an article stating that AMD considers the termperatures to be normal... Not very useful.

Since discovering that, I am no longer concerned with my temps as I rarely flirt with 80 degrees based on HWiNFO even at junction. I recall that my GPU (MSI 5700 XT Gaming X) was reviewed for very low temps. With the sensors on HWiNFO, this seems to agree with those reviews and I'm sure junction temps of 110 degrees would have been flagged otherwise. I can still be very wrong since I am not an expert in this area and may have arrived at an incorrect conclusion. But I am satisfied with my findings thus far.
I appreciate your answer homie! Gonna look into this thing. So hotspot can hit 110 and its fine i guess?

OutroSpect

• PRIVATE E-2

That's not what I said, but that does sound reasonable. Since most discussions state that the issue is junction temperatures being at 110 (which AMD says is normal) rather than hot spot being at 110 degrees, and since hot spot and junction appear not to be the same thing, AND since my actual junction temperature is less than 80 degrees according to HWiNFO, I am no longer looking into the matter. I hope you end up in a similar boat.

• PRIVATE E-2

That's not what I said, but that does sound reasonable. Since most discussions state that the issue is junction temperatures being at 110 (which AMD says is normal) rather than hot spot being at 110 degrees, and since hot spot and junction appear not to be the same thing, AND since my actual junction temperature is less than 80 degrees according to HWiNFO, I am no longer looking into the matter. I hope you end up in a similar boat.

I think thats where you wrong tbh, just google gpu memory junction temperature. i would love to add image here but forum wont allows me
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/110%C2%B0c-hotspot-temps-expected-and-within-spec-amd-on-rx-5700-series-thermals.258228/
https://www.google.com/search?q=gpu+memory+junction+temperature&rlz=1C1GCEA_enRU907RU907&oq=g&aqs=chrome.1.69i60j69i59l3j69i57j69i60l2j69i61j69i60l2.1297j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
what im implying that when people talk about junction temperature they mean hotspot and the issue with the hotspot temperature itself sadly, so we're still in the same boat indeed with our cards having way more junction temperature from what Nexus Gamers, etc have in reviews... its pretty crazy
Pages: [1]   Go Up