Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gentoo Linux problem  (Read 1589 times)

AnatolibusPectis

Gentoo Linux problem
« on: 13-December-03, 06:39:32 »

when i try to install linux, after the kernel boot my pc hangup
in the sequence of linux boot, this happen when it enter in RUNLEVEL3 and in particullary when it test Athlon64 with scrolling color bar...

why?

Ulukay

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 14-December-03, 06:14:44 »

you have to disable the USB LEGACY setting in the bios

riprjak

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 14-December-03, 18:11:35 »

Originally posted by Ulukay
you have to disable the USB LEGACY setting in the bios

that or pass "idle=poll" as a kernel parameter; although this will disable use of the HLT instruction and increase power usage and temp of CPU...

[SOAPBOX]
The problem is that stepping C athlons have a bug in SMM mode relating the the HLT instruction; when executing HLT, the top 32bits of an address are overwritten with zeroes (which is why That Crud From Redmond (tm) is currently unaffected).  This problem, erratum #93, requires a work around in BIOS; a workaround which ASUS issued about a month ago and MSI still haven't, to my knowledge, even admitted is a problem.  Please anyone who has experienced this issue, email MSI support and request they issue a BIOS upgrade to work around "erratum #93".
[/SOAPBOX]

err!
jak.

AnatolibusPectis

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 15-December-03, 05:43:36 »

thanx for replays!
but i think my USB LEGACY is alredy disabled.
i try idle kernel command

riprjak

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 15-December-03, 21:22:31 »

Another note; occasionally hardware autodetect will "fail"; in that it will run indefinately; a hard reset will generally correct this.

I had the same problem 1 in every 4 boots or so on the LiveCD; but I diagnosed the cause to be my USB card reader...

err!
jak
Pages: [1]   Go Up