Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K8T Neo problem  (Read 2628 times)

cwigster

K8T Neo problem
« on: 13-December-03, 09:01:56 »

Hi all,

well this is my 1st MSI board and I'm having a little problem I am hoping some of you could help me with.

First the specs...

MSI K8T Neo (Athlon 64 3200....was the MSI bundle pack)
ATI 9800XT
1Gb Kingston Ram
2x WD 80Gb HDs
1 x Pioneer DVD
1 x Pioneer DVD+RW
1 x FDD
450W PSU
WinXP Pro

The problem is if I enable to onbaord Realtek 5.1 audio codec the system become extremely unstable and will generally crash/reboot within 20sec. Occasionally it would reboot during reboots. Typically a complete power off for 5-10 sec or so and it would restart ok.

The 1st things I did to try and improve the stability was to flash the system bios to 1.10. This seems to have worked ok, however the provided tools don't seem to report it correctly, however the post boot messages indicate it is in fact the 110 bios.

After the bios I updated the LAN and Audio drivers. This all resulted in some slight improvment, but as soon as anything demanding audio wise occured the system would just reboot.

It doesn't seem to be a heat issue, the CPU seems to sit around 36C and the sysem board at 32C.

The only way I have managed to get around this was to install an old Audigy card I had laying around. Since this has been installed and the onboard audio disabled in the bios the system has been stable.  Now I think the Audigy is probably a better sound card than the onbaord 5.1, however that's beside the point, the onboard audio should not cause this to happen, assuming it is the onboard audio.

Anyone got any ideas? Is there a known issue with the RealTek audio codec on this m/b?

Any help/comments welcome.

[UPDATE]

Ok, looks as if it's not the onbaord audio, the thing just did it again with the Audigy. I'm now wondering if it's HD related as this seems to be another common thread. Most of the times I was downloading when it happened. The disks are just hanging off IDE1 and IDE2, nothing fancy.

I've also just installed the AMD Athlon64 driver patch of AMDs site. Will see if this makes any difference. If it does then I'll remove the Audigy and see how things go with the onboard audio.

Comments still welcome  :-P)

tia

Craig

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 13-December-03, 10:30:43 »
  • Best Answer

• Please give the details of the powersupply.....
    You might be short on power?

cwigster

(No subject)
    « Reply #2 on: 13-December-03, 18:15:32 »

Hi Bas (and anyone else reading this),

Well afer looking over some of the other posts I decided to take the thing apart and double check everything, including the mount points of the m/b. I did find one or two of the mounting screws were lose, and that I had missed putting in one of the supports. Neither should have caused the problem, but I suppose the lose screws could have caused some intermittent grounding issue. Anyway I've tightened up all the screws and redone all of the power connections, front panal connectors and so on. At least it had the decency to boot 1st time this time round  :-))

I spose being in the industry for so long and building these things so many times you can think you know it all and assume you can do no wrong, and therefore waste time chasing ghosts instead of checking the basics. :( Mind you I'm not writing myself off yet, I'm sure it's something fundanentally wrong with AMDs and VIA chipsets, or so my Intel fanboy friends tell me.  :-P)

Anyway it's back to the bog standard onboard periphs (ie. no Audigy) and we'll se how it goes now. I'll give it a stress test for awhile.

Bas, the PSU is a Codgen 450W. It's definately not up their with Ennermex or Antec, but it did serve the old ASUS AV7266-E and a XP1700 for a few years, all without a single hitch. As far as I can tell from the h/w monitoring here are the voltages it's supplying....

Vcore: 1.52
    3.3v  : 3.45
    +5v   : 5.16
    +12v : 12.12

These were taken from Core Centre 1.6.0.0

regards

Craig

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 13-December-03, 18:25:48 »
  • Best Answer

• Hahahaha.....

Happens to the best of us....

And I wouldn't listen to your Intel friends too much, they can't run 64-bit software or match your CPU in speed.
    As for VIA problems, every chipset has problems, not a single one is bug free....
    Some more severe then others, but I have to say, the latest VIA chipsets are pretty good in stability and speed.....
    But as usual with VIA boards, there are some minor quirks, no biggies, but there are...see my Hammerland posting :lol_anim:

cwigster

(No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 14-December-03, 05:54:19 »

Hi Bas,

well it gets more interesting as time goes on. Basically the system is rock solid till I do anything dirextx related, at which point...whoosh...reboot or whoosh...hang.

I've tried two different cards, a Gigabyte 9800Pro and the GexCube 9800XT. 2D=fine, 3d=crash and burn. I've tried various games, BF1942, Dungeonseige, NWN, ect. It's always the same..ie they crash. In some cases to the desktop, in others the audio gets corrupted and then the system freezes or just what appears to be a hardware reset.

At this point I ran DXDIAG and even that crashed!!! However I did notice that AGP Fast Writes was enabled, so I turned this off as I had heard that this can cause stability issues. When off DXDIAG works, however the games still crash. In desperation I installed 3dmark03 and whislt the demos work, the actual 1st test hangs the machine after 10sec or so. Interestingly enough it crashes at exactly the same point each time. Apparently there's a patch for it so I'll dload that and see if it helps 3dmark.

I'm now begining to think it could be a ram issue. The ram used was Kingston DDR400-PC3200. Although Kingston is mentioned as a supported memory type, I don't think the memory I've used is mentioned. Do you think the ram could cause these sorts of errors? I don't really want to give up on this board yet, nor do I want to go the P4 route either. I'll see if my supplier will either

a) swap baords in case this is faulty
    b) swap ram to one of the supported brand/models.

I suppose if all else fails I'll see if there prepared to swap it for the ASUS K8V. From what I have read the two boards are nearly identical in features and specs, just different onbard peripheral brands. MSI mainly used Realtek and Promise whereas ASUS used 3Com, SoundMax and Promise.

regards

Craig

Update: It now appears to be working, no more crashes and fast agp writes are enabled. What was the problem? Well to say I'm embaressed is an understatement, but I'll fess up anyway. Some idgit (ie me) put the ram in dim slots 2 and 3. I put them in 1 and 2 and the system instability has now gone. I'm pretty sure ASUS had dim slot 3 closest the CPU, but it seems the reverse on the MSI board. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.   :-P)

Actually looking at the manual it doesn't explicity say to put the ram in dim slot 1 1st and so on it just says optimum performance can be acheived by doing this. No mention of system crashes if you don't.

Craig

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 14-December-03, 16:38:28 »

Glad you got it working :)

actually yesterday i was at this LAN and bf1942 or it might have just been when running Desert Combat kept crashing to dektop randomly. happened about 3 or 4 times over a few hours.

cwigster

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 14-December-03, 18:16:23 »

Originally posted by scottg26
    Glad you got it working :)

So am I!!! Going to give it a real work out tonight when I get home just to make sure. Still not 100% convinced all is right with it, but it's a big step in the right direction.  Although I don't put to much faith in synthetic benchmarks, what makes me a little nervous is that the Ogre test. In the 1st run it averages about 40fps, the lowest value being in the low 30s. When it does the 2nd Orge test (as a CPU test) it actually drops to about 1fps and averages around 8 or 9 fps. This is the test that has me concerned as I am pretty sure my old AUS AV7266-E XP1700 paired with a Gigabyte 9800Pro didn't suffer from this. Just to make things more confusing is that the overall 3dmark score seemed to be in the ballpark for other similar configured PCs. Odd.

My supplier has offered to swap the m/b out to a ASUS K8V if I want, but I don't particularly want to take that path yet. In some sadomasatisic way I kind of like working out why systems don't work or become unstable, you always tend to learn something usefull like RTFM  :-P) and don't rush.

actually yesterday i was at this LAN and bf1942 or it might have just been when running Desert Combat kept crashing to dektop randomly. happened about 3 or 4 times over a few hours.

BF1942 is a funny beast, it has a reputation for crashing to the desktop. From what I can recall it has something to do with the refresh rate your monitor (or possibly the desktop) is set to. If it was something other than 60Hz then it could cause the game to crash. The official Bf1942 forums at EA had a thread on it and what changes needed to be made to the config file to stop it from happening and to allow you to run your monitor at a higher refresh rate. To be honest I thought they had addressed this with the later patches, 1.5 being the latest I think.

Will keep everyone updated.

Craig

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 15-December-03, 04:07:57 »

on my old computer it ran at 100Hz fine, i still use the same settings/drivers/programs to keep the refresh rate the same, so i don't know what is up with it  ???-)
    Pages: [1]   Go Up