Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange power up problem  (Read 1900 times)

wrgunny

Strange power up problem
« on: 16-December-03, 17:16:10 »

I have just installed a K8T800 Master2-Far motherboard, with 2 new Opteron 240 processors (retail box), 2 512mb sticks of Kingston PC2700 DDR ram, in Dual channel mode, and an ASUS vt-7100 gf2 video card. So far nothing is plugged to the motherboard except the video card.  I have a Thermaltake Xaser 111, 480 watt power supply, that when plugged in and switched on via the power supplies switch the pc comes on instantly. shut it off via the front panel and turn it back on and it will run for a couple second and shut off. The front panel power led then flashes on and off slowly and the pc will not power back up.  I then tried a new Real PC Power 450 Watt Power supply. It comes on fine but will not initialize the video!?  I then tried a generic 300 watt power supply I pulled out of a generic case and it seems to work fine!?  Do I have the makings of a bad board right out of the box or am i missing something here?

Thomas Grace

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 16-December-03, 17:26:11 »
  • Best Answer

• Are these the specs of the Real thing?

+3.3V @ 14A maximum
    +5V @ 30A maximum
    +12V @ 18A maximum

They don't look very good to me.....
    Cheap quality in my eyes.....

wrgunny

power up problem
    « Reply #2 on: 16-December-03, 17:58:29 »

The Thermaltake Purepower Power Supply is rated at

3.3V =30A
    +5V =40A
    12V =18A

The problem is that this thing is acting wierd, and yet a cheap generic power supply with 3.3V=14A, +5V=30A, 12V=8A, is running just fine. In fact the pc is running now and is formatting my 2 120Gb Western Digital hard drives.  

I have seen problems like this in the past and it ended up being a bad Board, but for two better quality P/S not to work and this junk one to work fine is puzzling.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 17-December-03, 01:47:45 »
  • Best Answer

• I can't answer that, try an Antec or Enermax, if they have problems too, then something is real strange.

evilyoda

Same problem
    « Reply #4 on: 18-December-03, 00:04:43 »

Hey,
    I've had the same trouble. I have the K8T800 Master2-FAR and a Xaser III 480 W P/S and the symptoms you describe are exactly what I've been seeing. Is it really the power supply? I was under the impression that the Thermaltake brand was one of the best. Have I been deceived ?????

Anyway, any workarounds would be welcome!

- Josh
    Pages: [1]   Go Up