Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Advanced search    

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Master2, SATA, XP: Ugh  (Read 5459 times)

billharris44

Master2, SATA, XP: Ugh
« on: 17-December-03, 01:51:50 »

I'm getting hammered trying to install XP and a single SATA drive. Initial hookup went fine (I had to reseat the memory, but that was my mistake). The bios sees the SATA drive. I didn't set up a RAID array or anything because I'm not using one. The Master2 manual makes mention of a driver diskette labeled "VIA VT6420/VT8237," but there's no floppy diskette. So when I hit F6 to interrupt the XP install so that I can install the SATA drivers, I don't have a floppy. I put one together from the /driverdisk directory of the "Server/Workstation" CD that came with the MB. XP accepts that and I think I'm good to go. It formats the drive, starts to install, and while its checking the hard drive it asks for the disk labeled "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver." It will no longer accept the original floppy that I built, even though the driver must be in the same place that it was before. So at that point I'm done--I'm not sure which specific file it's asking for. I even tried copying the three XP drivers for SATA into the root directory of the floppy drive, but no luck.

I'm not even sure that XP is formatting the disk properly--I'm not even using quick format and it seems like it's happening in about thirty seconds. That doesn't seem right.

I saw a previous thread that talked about this, but they didn't seem to run into the problem of being asked for a driver disk a second time.

I've been at this for about two hours now (at least) and I'm basically getting nowhere. So any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17-December-03, 03:01:28 »
  • Best Answer

• Hi,

If you look in the manual you see that the SATA-controllers are either RAID0 or RAID1, so you need 2 drive's to work with it.

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #2 on: 17-December-03, 03:07:39 »

Bas,
    Man, I hope that's not right. That would be bizarre, to force someone to use RAID to use an SATA drive. I see what you're referring to in the manual, though. I'm calling MSI in the morning and I'll let you know what they have to say. Thanks for the help.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 17-December-03, 05:55:16 »
  • Best Answer

• Manual page 1-2 SATA ports RAID 0 or RAID 1....

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 17-December-03, 06:09:33 »

plz ignore, my mistake

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 17-December-03, 06:46:06 »
  • Best Answer

• LOL

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 17-December-03, 09:22:57 »

LOL. Scott, I hope you're speaking for me.   :-D) I'm calling MSI this morning and I'll let you know what they say.

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 17-December-03, 12:07:04 »

This isn't looking too good. When you call MSI, they'll let you be on hold for a tech for about five minutes, then you get forced to leave a message for someone to call you back. That was two hours ago and nothing yet. Nothing like blowing half a day and getting no support yet.

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 17-December-03, 14:38:51 »

Well, I punted. I got an IDE drive, hooked it up, disconnected the SATA drive, disabled the controller, and XP is installing fine now.

I also have a clue as to what's going on, although no idea how to fix it. That message asking for the driver disk a second time is meaningless. It's meaningless because in the previous step, when Windows formats the drive, it's not getting formatted. It's doing a full format in ten seconds, which means it's not actually doing anything. Then, when it checks the drive, it's FUBAR. A driver won't do anything at that point.

So if I could figure out why Windows isn't formatting the drive, it would probably work. I also saw that the VT8237 is supposed to have a mode for single SATA drives called 'JBOD' (I think that's right--I may have misspelled it). So that mode is supposed to exist, but maybe I just can't activate it.

It pretty much all adds up to the same, though. For me, apparently, SATA just isn't going to work.

Thanks for the help that you guys have provided.

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 17-December-03, 17:16:50 »

jbod is "just a bunch of disks"

aka lots of disks, but none of them raided, they are all standalone

perhaps you should download the latest serial ata drivers from viaarena, and make the driver disk from that?

and are you using winxp slipstreamed with service pack one?

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 17-December-03, 17:56:40 »

Hi Scott,
    Thanks and I did download those drivers. I constructed a floppy disk with the oemtext file in the root, the 6420 file (I think) and then the drivers in the SATA/XP subdirectory. XP accepted that disk with no problem and installed the driver. It's the second driver request after the format that's stumping me--it seems like no matter what files or directory structure I try, it's not the right one.

I got what I think is confirmation from a few places that there shouldn't be an obstacle to using just one SATA drive. And it's apparently normal to not be able to access the RAID bios if you only have one drive. So this is just weird.

What I might do is hook up the SATA now that I've got XP installed on the IDE and take a look at it. Maybe I could even use Ghost and move it over that way.

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 17-December-03, 18:51:59 »

i only have one sata in the VIA sata controller, seems to work fine  ???-)

actually the SATA is my only hard drive

promise controller is disabled in BIOS

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 17-December-03, 20:28:38 »

I don't see a Promise controller option in the bios. There is a "Serial ATA controller" option in the Integrated Peripherals menu, which I enabled.

I think what I might do, since the IDE install went fine and things seem stable, is attach the SATA drive, make sure it's recognized, then use Ghost to clone the drive. That might work and I wouldn't have to screw with that $*##@ Windows install again.

I installed 3dMark2001SE just for fun, so that I would get some encouragement for continuing to screw with this. Flashed the bios so that it would run at 2.2GHz. I'm using a 9800XT graphics card.

21,487 at default settings.

That doesn't suck at all.  :-D)

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 17-December-03, 22:50:37 »

Okay, I finally got it. Here's what I did.
    --with the SATA drive disconnected, installed XP on a regular IDE drive.
    --installed Norton Ghost.
    --connected SATA drive. Installed SATA drivers.
    --verified that Windows was seeing the SATA drive properly.
    --ran Ghost to clone from IDE drive to SATA drive.
    --disconnected IDE drive. Also disabled primary IDE channel in bios.
    --rebooted.

Everything works fine. No errors.  :beerchug:

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 18-December-03, 05:32:10 »

glad to hear it  :biggthumbsup:

the promise controller can be disabled in intgrated peripherals under onboard PCI controller.

matrix-w

how to do that - pls help !!!!!
    « Reply #15 on: 18-December-03, 08:09:52 »

hi all,

Guys i can see that you solve the problem i am going throught all morning....

I have one (1) SATA disc drive and one (1) ATA disc drive conected to normal IDE. Now what i need is to make my XP see this SATA drive. When i just conected SATA do SATA port on my KT4 Ultra - XP just don't willing to see it. Nothing... Then i enabled Serial ATA in Peripherial (bios) - this same... i can't see sata drive under XP.

Pls help!! If u can just write step by step what to do.

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 18-December-03, 10:32:47 »

Matrix-w, is XP already installed? And are you trying to use the SATA as a boot drive or as a secondary drive.

Does the bios see the drive when you boot up? If not, that's your problem. Windows won't see it either.

Scottg26, so I could disable the 'SATA controller' option in the Bios and still be able to use the drive? That whole two controller thing for the SATA totally confused me. I think I'll leave it alone right now, though, since it's working.

Steve F.

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
    • CAPTAIN
    (No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 18-December-03, 13:36:09 »
  • Best Answer

• No! There is no Promise controller on your board. Scott was mistaken.
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Athlon 64 3400+ Clawhammer (stock heatsink/fan)
    Enermax EG465AX-VE 431W PSU (squillions of amps on all rails)
    2*512MB Kingston HyperX PC3500 (CL2.5)
    MSI FX5700-TD128 (<--junk!) BFG 256MB FX5700 OC
    2*WD Raptor 74GB SATA (RAID 0)
    1*Maxtor DM Plus 9 80GB SATA
    Plextor PX-712A DVD±R/RW
    Win XP Pro SP2
    Others: K8T Neo2-F + 3500 Venice, KT3 Ultra-ARU + XP 2500+

billharris44

(No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 18-December-03, 14:07:03 »

Thanks Steve.

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #19 on: 18-December-03, 16:55:01 »

Originally posted by Steve F.
    No! There is no Promise controller on your board. Scott was mistaken.

on my k8t neo there was a promise controller, which i disabled

the other sata option is for the via controller. if you disabled it your SATA drive would cease to function :)

Steve F.

• CAPTAIN
    (No subject)
    « Reply #20 on: 19-December-03, 04:09:54 »
  • Best Answer

• Scott, look at the title of the thread. Bill hasn't got a K8T neo. He only has the VIA controller.
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Plextor PX-712A DVD±R/RW
    Win XP Pro SP2

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #21 on: 19-December-03, 05:03:51 »

Originally posted by Steve F.
    Scott, look at the title of the thread. Bill hasn't got a K8T neo. He only has the VIA controller.

i did, after your post, lol :biggthumbsup: :shy: :shy: :shy: :shy: :shy: :shy: :shy: :shy:

matrix-w

sata...
    « Reply #22 on: 19-December-03, 10:35:56 »

Hi,
    So, hear we go.

I have MSI KT4 Ultra MB. When SATA drive is connected, and in bios features i have disabled SATA Controller (it is in metter in fact RAID controller) - Bios do not see this drive. When controller is enabled - i have to configure RAID, and then bios can see it. It is bootable if i put it in bios.

What i am wondring is, if i could disable SATA controller in bios and still can use SATA drive? I know this sounds strange, but what for is SATA port on MB if i can only use it with RAID...

Thx for help

Steve F.

• CAPTAIN
    (No subject)
    « Reply #23 on: 19-December-03, 11:35:37 »
  • Best Answer

• Tips for better response:

1. Start a new thread. Don't hop on someone else's.
    2. Post in the correct forum! > Socket A.
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Plextor PX-712A DVD±R/RW
    Win XP Pro SP2
    Pages: [1]   Go Up