Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K8T Neo + AGP card say 'bee-bar bee-bar'  (Read 2531 times)

DPerkins

K8T Neo + AGP card say 'bee-bar bee-bar'
« on: 17-December-03, 04:33:39 »

Hello

To set up my system (Monday) I used a PCI gfx card and which worked fine.  I have now tried to install my Tyan Tachyon G9600 Pro card.  On boot-up I get LEDs 2&4 on red and it makes a bee-bar, bee bar sound.  

The CMOS settings are set to the defaults (as on page 3-11 of the manual) and the default display is AGP.

Since I took the PCI card out, it it complaining because it cannot see any video card, or it thinks my AGP slot is not set up correctly?

The AGP card has just been removed from an MSI KT3 AMD XP 2000 system where it worked fine.

Any ideas?

David

AMD64 3200 - AMD supplied cooler (Temp: CPU: 41/105 - SYS: 32/89)
MSI K8T Neo
2 x Samsung 512Mb PC3200 400MHz DDR Original
1 * Maxtor 6Y120Mo SATA 120Gb - connected to SATA2
Basic PCI video card
Antec Sonata case - 380w PSU

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17-December-03, 05:43:30 »
  • Best Answer

• Underpowered?
    Most other boards give this sound when:

CPU NOT cooled properly....
    Case Open switch detects something....
    Powersupply too little power or unstable...

DPerkins

(No subject)
    « Reply #2 on: 17-December-03, 06:02:52 »

I think I can rule out CPU cooling and case open detection. It's an Antec 380w truepower PSU and apart from the mobo/cpu I'm running a CDR and one SATA HDD.

Since the D-Bracket shows 'Testing VGA Bios' it's almost as though it doesn't recognise there's a card in the AGP slot, or, the gfx card has gone t*ts up.

Archiver

• CORPORAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 17-December-03, 15:15:34 »
  • Best Answer

• Have you checked your cmos setup if AGP is selected as primary graphics adapter?

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 17-December-03, 17:20:27 »

does the 9600 have it's own power connector? i know my 9700/9800XT do.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 17-December-03, 17:23:44 »
  • Best Answer

• 9500pro has it too....

riprjak

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 17-December-03, 17:51:02 »

Originally posted by DPerkins
    I think I can rule out CPU cooling and case open detection. It's an Antec 380w truepower PSU and apart from the mobo/cpu I'm running a CDR and one SATA HDD.

Since the D-Bracket shows 'Testing VGA Bios' it's almost as though it doesn't recognise there's a card in the AGP slot, or, the gfx card has gone t*ts up.

Does the card still work in the old box??  have you tried another AGP card??; you might have borked something in the assembly/disassembly; (whilst people like largo in megatokyo take it too far) never underestimate the importance of proper anti-static protection ;)

The Antec power supply is a bloody good animal, I use a 480w personally; but I doubt its a power supply issue, unless you have 4000+rpm fans connected to EVERY header on the board...  Im assuming you havent knocked one of the power connectors off the motherboard.  The PSU isnt running something exotic like a water pump or phase change cooler or daisy chained to the monitor is it??

Tip for young players, As a general rule, *ALL* case fans should be powered by a molex connector and only be connected to the motherboard for the purpose of monitoring; particularly with a good quality PSU like the antec that has separate rails for the motherboard connectors (attaching more inductive loads than nescessary to a power source that is incredibly sensitive to noise is just not a good idea).  

Try setting resetting the CMOS or setting the bios to safe defaults and rebooting too.  But basically, make sure the video card still works (or, if you cant, try another known good card in the slot) to make sure the problem doesnt lie with the card; then try a cmos reset; then, assuming you have no power issues as described above, panic :)

Oh yeah; try removing one of the ram sticks (or replacing with lower end, pc2700 or something) too; the issue might be with the agp aperture.

err!
    jak.

PS, my powercolour 9600pro (bravo edition) doesnt have a secondary power connector on it...  additional power connectors may be manufacturer specific (built by vs. powered by ati perhaps...).

DPerkins

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 17-December-03, 18:46:16 »

Thanks all.  It's working, but to answer your questions:

AGP was selected as the primary display in the BIOS.

This card doesn't need additional power.

What did I do to get it working?

1. Downloaded Bios 1.10(?)
    2. Switch a dip switch on the card to make it use AGP 4x

I'm not sure which of those did the trick, I'll flip the dip switch back to AGP 8x tomorrow.

One question:  why doesn't the bios give 8x AGP as an option?

riprjak

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 17-December-03, 19:19:24 »

Thanks all.  It's working, but to answer your questions:

AGP was selected as the primary display in the BIOS.

This card doesn't need additional power.

What did I do to get it working?

1. Downloaded Bios 1.10(?)
    2. Switch a dip switch on the card to make it use AGP 4x

I'm not sure which of those did the trick, I'll flip the dip switch back to AGP 8x tomorrow.

One question:  why doesn't the bios give 8x AGP as an option?

Best guess : Downloading the new bios (which reset the CMOS) was the fix.
    Perhaps the 1.0 bios has a bug relating to swapping from a pci-agp video card (perhaps missing watch timers/loops??); guess it doesnt really matter either way.

Id be very surprised if the card doesnt work at 8x now...

Please, in future, change only one thing at time when troubleshooting; we dont learn anything unless we know *exactly* what caused a problem.

err!
    jak.

DPerkins

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 18-December-03, 06:33:23 »

>>Please, in future, change only one thing at time when troubleshooting

Nice theory  ;-))

Actually, I had a reply from the gfx card manufacturer who said:

Both dip switches = '1'  = AGP 4x
    Both dip switches = '0' = AGP 8x

I had received the card with one switch at '0' and one at '1', so I've no idea what mode the card was in.  I suspect it was changing the card's dip switches that fixed the problem.

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 18-December-03, 16:50:04 »

with troubleshooting if you change more than one thing at a time then how do you know what was cauing the problem?

riprjak

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 18-December-03, 17:13:28 »

>>Please, in future, change only one thing at time when troubleshooting

Nice theory  ;-))

Actually, I had a reply from the gfx card manufacturer who said:

Both dip switches = '1'  = AGP 4x
    Both dip switches = '0' = AGP 8x

I had received the card with one switch at '0' and one at '1', so I've no idea what mode the card was in.  I suspect it was changing the card's dip switches that fixed the problem.

LOL; maybe it is a secret, experimental AGP 6x ;)  obviously your old mobo only supported 4x, so the card automatically fell back and then when the new board tried to handshake with the card, it was having a gender crisis and was unable to respond :)

thats some funny :censored: .  /me wipes tears from eyes.

err!
    jak.

EDIT : hehehehe, it sensors "sh!t"; who woulda thunk it...  I keep forgetting that some cultures still get their panties in a knot over words :) lol, thats even funnier than the whacked out dip switches...  my sides hurt :)
    Pages: [1]   Go Up