Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temperature and HD Issues  (Read 2351 times)

kasimir

Temperature and HD Issues
« on: 18-December-03, 06:07:39 »

Hi

a64 boxed hsf with hercules 9800 pro.. and sblive...using 300w psu in acrylic window box with side extractor fan .... temp of cpu runs mostly 56-60 with sys temp bout a 2/3 degrees behind....... i want to add some more fans .... because this temp seems way to high....still running on standard bios....will upgrade to 1.1 ....

btw ..running 1gb kingston ddr

also.....have had my first 120gb ide go totally screwed on me.... i kept getting crashes in black hawk down and then call of duty (and i have not yet upgraded to 3.10 catalyst) ... and then my mohaa started falling over as well...at that point i was running with the box open......decided to reload windoze xp pro sp1..... reloaded everything..drivers etc...no problemo....crashed once ..then reboot...windowz couldn't start .. lost a file or two in the system32 ... then i couldn't format the drive again for a new round..... WD Cav.....i got it swopped out for another which I installed last night..... so far so good...still need to get some games on...that should test it properly....

the machine is only about a 6 days old so that could very much just have been a bad hd .... and maybe some temp instability that screwed wind...
any ideas out there ???

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 18-December-03, 06:18:21 »
  • Best Answer

• I think you need a new PSU....300W is way too light to handle that system...

kasimir

Psu
    « Reply #2 on: 18-December-03, 06:27:34 »

What would you suggest ? ... 420 or even higher ?

and would a better psu result in lower temps .... or just better stability ?...

Krazyme

RE: Psu
    « Reply #3 on: 18-December-03, 12:46:53 »

Hello Guys, just a newby 2 cents...

My system have a small graphic card and no sound card
    at all but I been running a 300 w psu and the system is running
    very stable and cool (CPU 44 degree). It's even a littled overclocked.
    You may need a bit more power because the the great cards but I
    think that you had other problems, search for somebody that have
    the same configurations as you but with a bigger psu and see how
    he is doing... Maybe your psu is defective and is not putting all the power out.
    Wish I could help you more but I'm still learning myself... Good luck.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 18-December-03, 14:14:58 »
  • Best Answer

• All very nice that you are lucky it does run on such a small PSU.....
    But I wouldn't risk it, as the PSU will be running at MAX load all the time (maybe even above that) and if the PSU does decide to blow because it's MAX loaded all the time don't come and cry here....

A good PSU costs only a fraction of your system BUT is the MOST important part in the system!! :idea:

Supafishel

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 18-January-04, 17:27:01 »

I'm looking at the PC Health in the bios and it shows my CPU Temperature is 38C/100F and system temperature is 40C/104F.  At this rate my chip is gonna burn out in a few hours.  I have the stock heatsink on the 3200+.  Can someone tell me what the heck is going on?  My case temperature gauge shows 81F.  This is nuts!!!  HELP someone!

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 18-January-04, 17:40:12 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by Supafishel
    I'm looking at the PC Health in the bios and it shows my CPU Temperature is 38C/100F and system temperature is 40C/104F.  At this rate my chip is gonna burn out in a few hours.  I have the stock heatsink on the 3200+.  Can someone tell me what the heck is going on?  My case temperature gauge shows 81F.  This is nuts!!!  HELP someone!

Your temps are fine :biggthumbsup:

Supafishel

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 18-January-04, 17:45:48 »

Originally posted by Bas
    Originally posted by Supafishel

Your temps are fine :biggthumbsup:

Oh mygod..i updated the bios to 1.10 and now my CPU Temp shows 65/149 ...lol..scares me just to look at it.

Actually what are suppose to be the normal CPU and system temps (Fahrenheit)?

scottg26

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 19-January-04, 04:04:15 »

sometimes my bios says 66 degrees C as well. sometimes forty something

cool n quiet shows 49~50 idle and speedfan shows 46~48 idle.

GoffyOne

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 19-January-04, 04:38:04 »

cool n quiet shows 49 at full load.

TimW

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 19-January-04, 04:41:02 »
  • Best Answer

• Running my 3200+ with Cool'n'Quiet enabled, at 800Mhz, Core Centre reads a CPU temperate of 37C. If I idle at 2000Mhz the temperature goes up to 43C, and under full load it maxes out at 49C.

I did spend some time mucking about with the stock heatsink before I fitted it. I removed the standard gunk with acetone and checked the base of the heatsink but you could feel the grooves with your nail. So I spent 20 minutes lapping the heatsink with wet and dry paper and metal polish getting it to a perfect mirror finish and then cleaned it again with acetone. Finally I applied Arctic Silver which has always given me good results. I'm happy with the results, and I love the silent fan. I think the cooler is the best thing about the A64 - all my benchmarks have been little better than my P4 2.53@2.8/845PE setup.
    MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R
    AMD Athlon64 3200+
    2 x 512MB Hynix DDR400 @ 2-3-3-6
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Enermax 465 PSU
    Pages: [1]   Go Up