Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Newbie, the dragon, and MSI...  (Read 5007 times)

Mordakar

The Newbie, the dragon, and MSI...
« on: 11-September-02, 00:51:13 »

As the title mentions (vaguely) I'm new to PC building, and I have a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra. I'm looking for a good video card and MSI's TI4400 caught my eye. The price range is right (190 w/shipping at Newegg) and the reviews I read looked pretty solid.

Here's my problem. When I got my mobo I didn't realize that while Soyo makes pretty decent boards, they are REALLY picky with the components you place in them. My question is, does anyone have any information pertaining to MSI cards paired with Soyo mobo's?

Actually I have 2 questions now that I'm thinkin of it. I have read a few of the posts HERE and found that there are those that have had heat and/or chipset problems (not really sure which) with the MSI GF4 TI4400. Is this simply a small percentage of ppl who own this card being that this is a forum, or are the majority of these cards proven faulty?

As previously stated I'm ENTIRELY new to this field and I'd hate to be putting my pretty little box together then have to RMA a faulty video card. Being that this is my first experiance I'm looking for the fewest possible complications (though I'll hit several I'm sure). ANY help would be great! Thanx!

Fam

• STAFF SERGEANT
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 11-September-02, 01:41:54 »
  • Best Answer

• you should have no problems with either. i own both the dragon ultra and msi 4400 and they work fine together. as far as faulty cards, mines is fine. my only problem is it doesn't o/c as high as others have gotten their cards.
    Athlon XP 2100+ | MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ VIVO | 512MB PC2700 Xtreme DDR@Cas2 | Soyo Dragon Ultra KT333 | Asus 16x DVD | Lite-On 40x12x48 CD-RW | 80GB Western Digital w/ 8MB Cache | Back-UP 80GB Western Digital | Digital Doc 5 | NewQ Gold DSP |  MSI TV@nywhere | Antec SX1030 w/ Antec True 430

Mordakar

(No subject)
    « Reply #2 on: 12-September-02, 02:38:41 »

Okay then, that's one. Anyone else know anything about this? And it's not that I'm disregarding what you say Fam, in fact I'm REALLY glad that you responded since I been stewin about this for a while. It's simply that being as paranoid as I am, I'm just looking for as many opinions as possible before I commit to it.

Thx again for responding so quickly! :)

Fam

• STAFF SERGEANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 12-September-02, 04:05:09 »
  • Best Answer

• no problem. another suggestion i will make is that you find some more forums to post in cuz this one moves kinda slow. i guess cuz there's not a lotta members. one can suggest is http://www.amdmb.com they have a soyo motherboard forum and i'm pretty sure others there have the same combo of hardware as me. once again, glad i could help.
    Athlon XP 2100+ | MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ VIVO | 512MB PC2700 Xtreme DDR@Cas2 | Soyo Dragon Ultra KT333 | Asus 16x DVD | Lite-On 40x12x48 CD-RW | 80GB Western Digital w/ 8MB Cache | Back-UP 80GB Western Digital | Digital Doc 5 | NewQ Gold DSP |  MSI TV@nywhere | Antec SX1030 w/ Antec True 430

Mordakar

(No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 12-September-02, 05:04:33 »

LOL. I found THIS forum COMING from http://www.amdmb.com. I did post this there and someone told me to come here. Most people there prefer Leadtek or Gainward. Though not bad, MSI was the cheapest, and the most compelling to own.

Ah well. The post I had in that forum gave me some pretty positive feedback relating to MSI video cards, though noone that replied to me had both Soyo mobo's and MSI vid cards. Usually their rigs were set up using Abit or MSI boards with the MSI's.

It's cool though  ;)  I'll give this GF4 a shot. Thanks alot. I do appreciate it.

Fam

• STAFF SERGEANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 12-September-02, 22:58:01 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by Mordakar
    LOL. I found THIS forum COMING from http://www.amdmb.com.

now that's funny. i still don't think you'll have problems with it tho. that's the same reason i bought cuz it was cheap as some of the 4200 i was looking at.

Lumber Slayer

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 14-September-02, 07:23:20 »

The cards them self aern't bad at all but the fake heatsink and fan is a joke!  Considering putting some real heatsink on it and not chromed up crap plastic!  I got a thermal take GF4 cooler on mine!

Det.JohnKimble

Hi,

I am having problems with a Soyo Mobo and MSI Vid card combination.  Mine is simply that games crash my system after a few minutes.  This MSI Ti4600 card replaced my VisionTek Ti4400 because I wanted Video Input support.  The VisionTek NEVER had any problems, and I'm starting to get mad because I updated all kinds of system drivers, and I tried nVidia detonator and MSI's own nVidia drivers, to no avail.

Please read my full post at http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/viewindex.php?threadid=3967&boardid=9&styleid=&page=1#1

and reply there if you can help me. Thanks.

Mordakar

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 22-September-02, 09:29:16 »

Okay, it's me again. I just got my system together and have encountered a rather odd problem.

When I load Warcraft 3 the picture on the monitor scrambles. It's hard to describe really like i said, scrambled and looks like its moving vertically. I have tried many things to try and resolve the issue including but not limited to...

Uninstalling/Reinstalling
    underclocking the memory and core speed
    disabling different deatures in my Direct X control
    different monitor resolutions
    several driver versions (both Nvidia and MSI signed versions)
    Varied BIOS settings

I have thrown every game in my arsenal at this thing and all of them work beautifully with the exception of this one. I also thought mybe it was my monitor frequency. Currently it's at 60Hz and anything above that scrambles. (The thing is 5+ years old!!!) however before i built this one it worked using this monitor on my crappier system with on-board graphics. It was just lousy to play.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas? I'd sure appreciate it if anyone had any knowledge about this problem or not.

BTW, here are my specs should that help:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 GHz
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra
    512 MB Corsair XMS PC2700 DDR
    MSI GeForce 4 TI 4400
    Old azz MGC (?) 15" monitor
    Foxconn/Allied 450W PSU

Mordakar

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 22-September-02, 09:32:57 »

And just FYI, I've posted this in SEVERAL forums, just wanting to get every viewpoint possible. Like I said I dont know if its hardware or software...

Det.JohnKimble

(No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 22-September-02, 10:16:25 »

I'll tell you what, plain and simple.  This MSI Ti4600 is a piece of crap.   :O

I just reloaded XP and installed Service Pack 1 for it, and my problem still persists.  I don't care if I find out how to fix it later or not. This is the fault or poor electronic manufacturing and is not the fault of my system, since I have said over and over the VisionTek Ti4400 worked perfect.

As of now I am getting rid of this hunk of junk on eBay.  Maybe someone else can have better luck with it.

Det.JohnKimble

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 22-September-02, 10:18:31 »

By the way, it gives me a satisfied feeling that my MSI bashing is being hosted on their own site, hahah.  I don't care,  because maybe if they would have answered my technical support email I sent a week ago, I wouldn't be so mad.

Athlonix

(No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 23-September-02, 10:41:49 »

Originally posted by Det.JohnKimble
    I'll tell you what, plain and simple.  This MSI Ti4600 is a piece of crap.   :O

I just reloaded XP and installed Service Pack 1 for it, and my problem still persists.  I don't care if I find out how to fix it later or not. This is the fault or poor electronic manufacturing and is not the fault of my system, since I have said over and over the VisionTek Ti4400 worked perfect.

As of now I am getting rid of this hunk of junk on eBay.  Maybe someone else can have better luck with it.

I rezent that comment my MSI Ti4600 is the best 3D card i have ever had and worked first time with no probs, usually when someone denies there system is NOT at fault it usually is, always look closer to home to find your problems :)

Det.JohnKimble

(No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 23-September-02, 16:49:38 »

How can it be the fault of my system?  I have better specs than are required, and the VisionTek Ti4400 worked perfectly, and so the MSI should have too.

Take a look at most of the forums out there on Geforce4 technical support, and you will see MSI is the name most on the list of support requests and problems. VisionTek and some other brands have almost none.

You probably just lucked out and have a motherboard that the MSI likes.

Mordakar

(No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 24-September-02, 08:25:23 »

Okay, could that maybe be my problem? The mobo not liking the vid card? Like I said all my games run sweet (running nVidia Detonators v40.41 and all games are rock solid but this one. Should I RMA the MSI card, or can someone offer me some advice on what I may have overlooked? I am at a total loss and would really appreciate help/advice/suggestions rather than complaints (no offense Det.JohnKimble, not that I can't condone your aggrevation).

Once again, thanx.

Wonkanoby

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #15 on: 24-September-02, 08:40:55 »
  • Best Answer

• well if it works with all other games i would be inclined to blame the game ,and look for patches to it

patches up to 1.20

try this fix tolink
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    4GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850

Det.JohnKimble

(No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 24-September-02, 10:47:13 »

All I can tell you is that I am in the process of selling my MSI card on eBay, and I ordered a LeadTek Winfast model Ti4600 MyVIVO edition.  I will let you know how it works when I get it.

Mordakar

(No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 26-September-02, 02:28:45 »

Okay, problem resolved, chaos averted.

The problem IS in fact my monitor. Turns out the game runs at a default 75 hertz refresh rate. Well, like I said my monitor bugs at any more than 60. I went into regedit, found War3's files, went to video and set it to run at 60. The game now works perfect. So shoot me, I"M AN IDIOT. In all my frustration the answer was RIGHT under my nose! Goes to show you the simplest answer is usually the right one.

Gettin a new monitor this week. My bills are caught up, and payday's Thursday. Lookin at a NEC 19". Time to retire this poor old thing. Can only squeeze 1024x768 res on this refresh, ACK!

Thanx to you all for the advice anyway. I'd rather get info, try it, and find out it doesn't work then get no feedback at all. Thanks guys and gals (if applicable).

Richard

• nForce & GeForce Guru
    • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 26-September-02, 08:57:02 »
  • Best Answer

• Mordakar,

Glad to hear you problem has been solved.

Take Care,

Richard
    Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
    Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
    Athlon64 3700+ Sandy
    (o/c'd 2.8Ghz)
    Zalman CNPS9500LED
    2-1Gb Mushkin Extreme PC-4000 (Slots 2 & 4)
    (o/c'd 510Mhz)
    2 x MSI NX6800GT-T2D256 (o/c'd Stock)
    X-Mystique 7.1 GOLD - Dolby Digital Live
    2-WD Raptors Raid 0
    (16k Stripe)
    NEC 16 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
    Logitech Z-680 500W Dolby Digital DTS THX 5.1
    Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
    Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

MarioL

I also don't recommend the MSI GF4 Ti4600
    « Reply #19 on: 26-September-02, 16:30:18 »

I also don't recommend the MSI GF4 Ti4600.  The MSI drivers and video software are a joke.  Sub par video performance and buggy video software apps.

The board itself is a very good performer, once you find the right drivers for it.  But those drivers do not come from MSI.  Do you read or hear from MSI on these forums.   Anything at all about how they are addressing their drivers or video software bug reports?  No.  Not a peep.

I won't get rid of this card, but I cannot recommend a video card that requires the user to have the knowledge of a PC technician in order to run properly.

Richard

• nForce & GeForce Guru
    • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #20 on: 26-September-02, 20:46:31 »
  • Best Answer

• MarioL,

Humm.... If you do not like the card, do by all means go get another one.  If you have an issue with drivers, go get the new nVidia Drivers.  Either the 40.41 or the 40.52. They are both an excellent set of drivers.

There are plenty of reviews on the MSI GF4Ti4600.  You might want to read them.

Richard
    Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
    Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
    Athlon64 3700+ Sandy
    (o/c'd 2.8Ghz)
    Zalman CNPS9500LED
    2-1Gb Mushkin Extreme PC-4000 (Slots 2 & 4)
    (o/c'd 510Mhz)
    2 x MSI NX6800GT-T2D256 (o/c'd Stock)
    X-Mystique 7.1 GOLD - Dolby Digital Live
    2-WD Raptors Raid 0
    (16k Stripe)
    NEC 16 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
    Logitech Z-680 500W Dolby Digital DTS THX 5.1
    Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
    Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

Mordakar

(No subject)
    « Reply #21 on: 27-September-02, 08:27:49 »

Humm.... If you do not like the card, do by all means go get another one. If you have an issue with drivers, go get the new nVidia Drivers. Either the 40.41 or the 40.52. They are both an excellent set of drivers.

I must agree here. Now my system has only been up for about a week, but so far the only problem I've encountered is this, and it turned out not to be the card at all. Most of the time, the trouble truly is something small and trivial.

I'm not saying your troubles aren't card related. Indeed, the cards MAY very well be faulty, however not all video cards are created equal. No manufacturer is perfect and I'm sure even the greats like VisionTek (may they rest in peace) screwed it up now and again.

From my understanding of ppl in some very credible forums, my setup should be almost non-existant. Soyo mobo's have always been very prejudice, Audigy and VIA aren't sposed to like each other (just installed one yesterday) and alot of ppl have had trouble with the 40.41 Detonator's although my system screams with all these "problematic" parts  ;) .

I have to give MSI a little credit, mines a TI4400 (which is most likely just an underclocked version of your 4600's as most of them are, but I have no direct evidence supporting it in MSI's case) and it's probably the nicest card I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Now if only I could afford the Radeon 9700...

I for one wouldn't be so quick to bash the card before I tried a second or third one. If I got two faulty cards then I would be angry, tryin it a third time and havin it mess up again...THAT's grounds for bashing  :D   :D . At least, this is my opinion...

In any case, best of luck to ya, hope everything works out. A little research and it did for me.  8)

MarioL

Is well written drivers and video software too much to ask?
    « Reply #22 on: 29-September-02, 14:41:51 »

For the price of the card, I think I have every right to expect that.

DeathStalker wrote:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Humm.... If you do not like the card, do by all means go get another one. If you have an issue with drivers, go get the new nVidia Drivers. Either the 40.41 or the 40.52. They are both an excellent set of drivers.

There are plenty of reviews on the MSI GF4Ti4600. You might want to read them.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Perhaps, it wasn't clear in my earlier posting, I already own the MSI GF4 4600.

At the time of my earlier posting, I had already addressed all issues I had with the card and it is running quite well now.  Like I stated in my earlier posting, the card is excellent performer, once you find the right drivers and software for it.

The reason I don't recommend the MSI to my customers and friends is because of their (MSI) drivers and video software.

Perhaps you are used to dealing with PC techs, PC gamers and PC aficionados who live to tweak their systems performance to the absolute max.  Most of my customers do not share that same level of commitment.  To them, the card and ALL  its features should work well right out of the box.  My customers are not just gamers who don't care if all the features on their cards work or not.  Many want high end cards for video recording and digital photography work, training and business presentation purposes etc.  They want to spend their time doing work, not tweaking their systems

You get this great presentation when you buy the card, features, connectors and lots of bundled software.  Then they shoot themselves in both feet by providing shotty drivers and video software.

If MSI would pay as much attention to developing their drivers and video software as they do to the manufacture of the cards themselves,  then I would recommend the MSI as the best high end video and TV cards on the market.  

Come on MSI, you have well made products.  Now it is time to follow-up with WELL written drivers and software.

ajkarp

(No subject)
    « Reply #23 on: 29-September-02, 15:59:06 »

Um.....

I'm not having any issues.
    I JUST upgraded my board and card as well.

http://www.Newegg.com

ALL my games and programs runn just fine if not better on the MSI GF4 Ti4600.

Like stated before. Double check ALL your settings and connections. Make sure the card is FULLY seated as well. Try removing it and reinstalling it as well. if it giving you that many problems.

You do know you can return parts right?

Anyway My Soyo Dragon and MSI GF4 Ti 4600 kick major buttolla on just about everything.
    It should work just fine.
    Good luck.

Det.JohnKimble

(No subject)
    « Reply #24 on: 29-September-02, 20:02:20 »

You know, after all this trouble, the card could simply be defective.  I'm sending it back
    Pages: [1]   Go Up