Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound is Horrible! Why?  (Read 3001 times)

boulder_bum

Sound is Horrible! Why?
« on: 15-January-04, 01:25:28 »

I have a K8T Master 2 FAR BIOS 1.1. I am using the native sound, but the quality is aweful! It sounds like there's an echo, and it's kind of faint. I installed all the drivers for everything from the MSI disk, tested my speakers on another system, re-plugged in the cord to the mainboard, etc.

Actually, this question may be twice as dumb as I think. The far left sound plug is analog, right?

scottg26

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 15-January-04, 03:57:51 »

is any environmental effects on?

boulder_bum

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 15-January-04, 08:11:59 »

I played with the equalizer in WMP and the manufacturer's media player, (which helps a little) but ultimately the problem still exists.

Where would the "environmental effects" be found?

angler

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 15-January-04, 14:46:56 »

Yes, the miniplugs along the left side (when you're facing the back) are the connections for 1/8'' coax. miniplug cables which carry analog signals.  The bottom left connection (which looks different) is for an optical S/PDIF connection, and the jack which is set off from the rest is made to carry a digital output through a coax. minplug.

How many channels of sound are you trying to produce?  If you're trying to produce 4-6 channel sound (not simply stereo) there are some additional setup procedures (see the Appendix of your mainboard manual).

Did you install the Realtek AC97 Audio Drivers?

P.S. - If you are using Windows 2000, you must have SP2 or later installed before using the AC97 Drivers.

-Angler

angler

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 15-January-04, 14:50:36 »

Also, if you are using only two channels of audio (i.e. left and right; stereo), try plugging your speakers into the Line Out jack.  It is located in the middle of the right column of speaker jacks (when facing the back of the motherboard).

-Angler

scottg26

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 15-January-04, 14:56:56 »

i think they call it soundman.exe or something, it should appear in the system tray beside the clock when u install the realtek drivers. go in there and check your settings.

boulder_bum

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 15-January-04, 19:44:22 »

The problem was with the environmental effects after all. I must have changed them at one point in all of my tinkering.  :-P)

"If you're trying to produce 4-6 channel sound (not simply stereo) there are some additional setup procedures (see the Appendix of your mainboard manual)."

Actually the sound system I'm using has the option of 5-channel, and surround sound. What must I do to optimize everything? It sounds fine now, but if I can improve it, why not? (I checked my manual, but all I could find was basic info on the front panel audio connection. The appendix just had SATA stuff).

scottg26

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 15-January-04, 20:54:08 »

you mean u want to use the digital/coax connection or something?

boulder_bum

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 16-January-04, 00:33:41 »

The on-board sound only has the mic in, line in, and speaker out. Angler mentioned some "additional steps" for 4-6 channel sound, and I'm just wondering what those steps are. (Sorry if these posts are dumb. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff)

scottg26

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 16-January-04, 01:25:38 »

my onboard audio has 7 connectors. MSI K8T Neo

there is optical out and coax even.

have a look on page 2-15 of the manual

boulder_bum

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 16-January-04, 19:34:37 »

2-15 in my manual talks about IDE connectors. Nevertheless, I may have misstated something in my last post. When I say I only have mic in, line in, speaker out, I am speaking of what's on the doo-dad that fits in the PCI slot, and when I say sound system, I simply mean my speakers.

In short, are there any further steps I can take to improve the sound with the manufacturer-supplied hardware, or will I need another card to squeeze out some juice?

scottg26

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 17-January-04, 00:04:48 »

lol i thought u were talking about k8t neo sorry :shocked_anim:

if u want a good card u can get the audigy 2 like i have

EAX 3 rocks  :biggthumbsup:

boulder_bum

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 18-January-04, 17:06:40 »

"if u want a good card u can get the audigy 2 like i have"

I've thought about it. I have a Christmas gift card burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm waiting for some killer rebate deal or something.

Thanks for the help!  :smile:
Pages: [1]   Go Up