Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do i connect one sata drive to existing sys  (Read 1368 times)

felixthecat

how do i connect one sata drive to existing sys
« on: 17-January-04, 17:34:11 »

hi i'm wondering if you can help with a problem?
i've just built this system and wanted to add a 160G maxtor 150 sata drive to it
promise drivers have been installed ok and and have also been able to use the cache settings utility however i'm now stuck...........
i only want to use the one drive not two ( as i guess you need in raid?)
how do i format?
 in the controll panell/  device manager the drive comes up as a scsi, but its sata?? am i being stupid? whats the next stage? i cant see the drive in "my computer". i just want to use this as an extra drive to store data... basically whats the easiest way... sorry never used these drives b4
  any help welcome

Jocko

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17-January-04, 19:09:22 »

Hi Felixthecat

Is the drive shown on the 'My Computer' list?

Lots of problems with maxtor SATA drives, I managed to get my 2 x 120GB Maxtors SATA 150s to work by disabling the Promise drivers in Bios, and using the VIA ones, XP is the problem.  On XP setup use the F6 key to load only the Via drives, then the SATA will be shown on the setup and format page of XP. Format is VERY fast, I wonder if it is a quick format. When I format from XP the format takes ages, best do it from the setup page.

See if the SATAs are shown from 'My Computer' -' Manage', 'Disk Management'. You can format or set partitions there.

Good luck

Jocko

felixthecat

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 18-January-04, 09:09:17 »

thanks for the help, all i needed to do was goto disk management and all worked well :lol_anim:
Pages: [1]   Go Up