Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why won't it boot?  (Read 2289 times)

big_slick

Why won't it boot?
« on: 18-January-04, 19:27:04 »

New rig won't boot.  I'm getting fans, power's getting to video card and optical drives, monitor is not receiving a signal.  Getting a beep code, one beep repeating every third second or thereabouts.  Assuming it's a memory problem.  So I switch out my Corsair PC 3200 for Kingston PC 3200, try every slot, try just one stick, still a no-go.  VGA is seated, and is receiving power (integrated fan is spinning).  I don't get it.  Any thoughts?

o_0

MSI K8T Master-FAR2
AMD Athlon 64 FX-51
Antec True430 (3.3/5/12)
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Tried both Corsair TwinX PC3200 DDR400 and Kingston PC3200 DDR 400

sharmane

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 18-January-04, 22:09:59 »

What does the D-bracket have to say?

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threadid=34535&sid=

What is your PSU?

Give full specs.

Mchlhotrod

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 18-January-04, 22:11:57 »

it might be your power supply, i just went through it with mine....start unplugging any dvd, cdrw, or hard drive that are not needed. Just to see if you can get it to boot in and you will now if its the power supply.

sharmane

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 18-January-04, 22:13:50 »

Agreed. Try doing what he says.

Ex Forum User 3

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 19-January-04, 03:38:29 »
  • Best Answer

• RAM!!!!!

The board MUST have REGISTERED ECC MEMORY.... :shocking:

joshr45

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 19-January-04, 08:56:47 »

yes if people bothered to read what board he has it does require ECC until the new 939 boards and chips come out as bas says

big_slick

Probably not the PSU
    « Reply #6 on: 19-January-04, 15:34:10 »

I tried unplugging some of the peripherals, still same response.  I'm pretty sure the Corsair XMS sticks are registered, but  tom's hardware reported they  couldn't get a boot off of the Corsair XMS RAM on the K8T Master.  I might try yet another type of RAM.  
    Here's the Amps on my PSU:

3.3-28A/5-36A/12-20A

TimW

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    RE: Probably not the PSU
    « Reply #7 on: 19-January-04, 16:44:39 »
  • Best Answer

• OK, absolute longshot, but you do have BOTH power cables plugged into the board don't you? I only have the K8T Neo FISR so I don't know if your symptoms suggest the CPU is working, but it sounds like when I made the switch from AthlonXPs to a P4 and spent hours rebuilding the PC outside the case when the board would spin up the fans and beep but not boot, only to find it needed the 4-pin connector plugged in too!  :-D)
    MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R
    AMD Athlon64 3200+
    2 x 512MB Hynix DDR400 @ 2-3-3-6
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Enermax 465 PSU

big_slick

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 19-January-04, 18:05:51 »

Good call on the 4-pin 12V, but it is already plugged in.  I actually forgot to plug it in earlier, and the fans and peripherals would go on but that would be it.  No beep codes either.  I only figured that one out on a re-build.  Unfortunately the only good it did was give me a beep code, which thankfully rules out the CPU.  
      So, ruled out the PSU, the CPU, just pertending the MoBO is good, which leaves the memory and the video card.  I'd like to get some diagnostics on it so I could rule out either memory or VGA.  I don't have a d-bracket, too bad MSI doesn't package it with the board.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up