Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 64 bit linux ISOs? (linux n00b)  (Read 1789 times)

diesel_travis

64 bit linux ISOs? (linux n00b)
« on: 18-January-04, 20:10:20 »

After googling for awhile I came upon this post which lists several different versions of 64 bit Linux.  I'd like to try out SuSE, Gentoo, Mandrake, and maybe Fedora (that's my order of preference anyway).  As far as windows goes, I'll be using XP Pro sp1a, XP 64 beta, and Longhorn 64 preview.  I was able to find ISOs for Mandrake and Gentoo very easily, but I'm having a hard time trying to find one for SuSE.  

I've checked the SuSE FTP site, and several of the SuSE US FTP mirrors, but I can't seem to find ISO files for the OS anywhere.  Do they even exist?  If not do I have to install from the files from the FTP (3.02+GB so far)?  :confused2:

A friend of mine told me that I should definitely try SuSE, and it's also the version that the Tech TV guys recomend the most.  I've read the multi-OS tutorial from BlackViper, so I'll install the three windows versions first.  

Thanks in advance for the help.

riprjak

RE: 64 bit linux ISOs? (linux n00b)
« Reply #1 on: 18-January-04, 20:21:38 »

Originally posted by diesel_travis
After googling for awhile I came upon this post which lists several different versions of 64 bit Linux.  I'd like to try out SuSE, Gentoo, Mandrake, and maybe Fedora (that's my order of preference anyway).  As far as windows goes, I'll be using XP Pro sp1a, XP 64 beta, and Longhorn 64 preview.  I was able to find ISOs for Mandrake and Gentoo very easily, but I'm having a hard time trying to find one for SuSE.  

I've checked the SuSE FTP site, and several of the SuSE US FTP mirrors, but I can't seem to find ISO files for the OS anywhere.  Do they even exist?  If not do I have to install from the files from the FTP (3.02+GB so far)?  :confused2:

A friend of mine told me that I should definitely try SuSE, and it's also the version that the Tech TV guys recomend the most.  I've read the multi-OS tutorial from BlackViper, so I'll install the three windows versions first.  

Thanks in advance for the help.

There is no real need to install THREE different linux distro's.  Beyond scripts and base layouts and some custom patch sets, they are all the same.  Choose your linux distribution based upon 1) personal empathy for the philosophy employed (slackware or gentoo) 2) freeness or otherwise (debian or everything else) 3) ease or otherwise of install (redhat/suse or slackware) or 4) configurability (gentoo! or slackware).

I recommend (personal bias) gentoo as it is easy to create a system from scratch without an excess of extraneous (and possible security risk) daemons and apps included.  From this base, it is easy to source diffs, themes and prepackaged apps to create workalikes of all the other effectively free distributions.  Furthermore, gentoo forums are widely considered to be some of the liveliest and most accessable of the major distributions.

The exception is that some commercial distro's do package commercial (non free) software which can assist interoperability with windows.

Furthermore, I recommend installing linux and windows on separate drives; XP has a tendancy to badly bork lilo and grub boot sector information during "initialisation".  So, install all your windowses ;) first.  Then, assign this as the slave drive and insall linux on the new master.  Then configure grub (or lilo), the bootloader, to cross map the hard drives and boot the XP drive as if it were booting directly; then windows will never know it's not in charge.

Feel free to contact me if you need some help getting started with linux; about windows I know bugger all beyond its being bloody hard to setup and administer.

err!
jak.

angler

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 18-January-04, 20:30:02 »

SuSE does not offer free ISOs of their distro.  It used to be that SuSE did not offer a free installation at all, but apparantely that is changing.

So, as it stands, your options with SuSE are as follows:

1) Buy the commercial distribution of SuSE, which definitely feels unwholesome.
2) Download the Live-Eval ISO of SuSE, which boots and runs completely off of the CD (definitely not a long-term solution).
3) Install (apparantely it is available now) SuSE 9.0 directly from the FTP server (ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/).  This is probably your best choice, although the network install sounds messy (chances are you'll be wanting an ISO).

As for the distro, I've had good experiences with SuSE in the past.  If you want 64 bit, make sure you're getting SuSE 9.0 (and not 8.2 or any of the older versions) unless you feel comfortable recompiling the linux kernel.

-Angler

diesel_travis

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 18-January-04, 21:19:38 »

Originally posted by riprjak
Furthermore, I recommend installing linux and windows on separate drives; XP has a tendancy to badly bork lilo and grub boot sector information during "initialisation". So, install all your windowses ;) first. Then, assign this as the slave drive and insall linux on the new master. Then configure grub (or lilo), the bootloader, to cross map the hard drives and boot the XP drive as if it were booting directly; then windows will never know it's not in charge.
Hmm, I was planning to just create a partition for each OS on my 80GB.  Are you saying that this would be bad?  Or should I just use a different physical drive for linux?

Thanks.

Originally posted by angler
3) Install (apparantely it is available now) SuSE 9.0 directly from the FTP server (ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/).  This is probably your best choice, although the network install sounds messy (chances are you'll be wanting an ISO).
By installing directly from the ftp, do you mean download everything in the http://ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/x84_64/9.0 and burning it to a dvd to install? or is there a way to install without downloading everything at once?

I think I'm probably getting offtopic since this has very little to do with MSI or even Athlon 64s at this point so I'll start looking for a SuSE forum or something.

Thanks for your help guys!

riprjak

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 18-January-04, 23:08:55 »

Originally posted by diesel_travis
Originally posted by riprjak
Furthermore, I recommend installing linux and windows on separate drives; XP has a tendancy to badly bork lilo and grub boot sector information during "initialisation". So, install all your windowses ;) first. Then, assign this as the slave drive and insall linux on the new master. Then configure grub (or lilo), the bootloader, to cross map the hard drives and boot the XP drive as if it were booting directly; then windows will never know it's not in charge.
Hmm, I was planning to just create a partition for each OS on my 80GB.  Are you saying that this would be bad?  Or should I just use a different physical drive for linux?

Thanks.

Since it seems like you are planning to "play around" with quite a few OSes; I strongly recommend a separate disk for linux/windows (that way you can more easily experiment with different methods of drive/partition management in linux).  That, or keep a separate, FAT32 drive for your data (emails and such), that is readable by both linux and windows, then hapily gouge away at another drive with all your experimental OSes.  I have found it more convenient to put separate OS on separate drives in the past, particularly when in the "learning till I break it" phase for safety ;)  

Originally posted by angler

JFYI, on a cable/DSL; the pure network install is quite simple and effective.  Ive often done this for SuSE and gentoo (based on a gentoo "Stage1" liveCD (<100MB to download initially) to boot with network support, then partition and preprepare the drive and ftp/rsync the data from an appropriate location).

Either way, feel free to leave me a priv. message here (or in forums.gentoo.org, same nick); Id be pleased to assist your linux adventures.

err!
jak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up