Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External antenna on mini PCI WiFi card  (Read 9167 times)

alanhulsebus

External antenna on mini PCI WiFi card
« on: 24-March-05, 15:08:30 »

Hello,
    The stock mini PCI WiFi card on the MEGA 865 has terrible range.  I can not connect to an access point beyond 20 feet.  Can an external antenna be added to the card?  Does someone sell a mini PCI WiFi with external antenna?  The new MEGA 865 PRO has an external antenna!!!!!  Where can I buy this 865 PRO WiFi card and antenna?  My PCI slot is filled and USB keys seem to have about the same range. 
     In another computer I have a D Link PCI card 802.11 a/b/g with external antenna with excellent signal at 100 feet.

Thanks for your help!

-31.A.I.T.-FS[NL]

Re: External antenna on mini PCI WiFi card
« Reply #1 on: 13-April-05, 04:01:07 »

I've taken the normal radio antenne (because i have a other tv card with radio and antenne) and taken the mini pci card and linked both up to each other and now i have the radio antenna as a wifi antenna wich has a range of +- 100 M measured

steinmr

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 13-April-05, 07:16:55 »
  • Best Answer

• Hi, could you post a picture of this solution.

cestmua

« Reply #3 on: 14-April-05, 13:59:50 »

I've taken the normal radio antenne
    U mean the radio antenne you get with the hi fi option of the mega pc?? or any other from some normal radio xD

and taken the mini pci card and linked both up to each other
    Can any 1 tell me where is located the wifi card?? PLEASE

cestmua

« Reply #4 on: 14-April-05, 15:38:36 »

ok I see...

here its a image in which you can see the mini pci with the wi fi card. (NOT the perpendicular block, this is the RADIO)

i think im going to add some changes to my mega 180 MOD and im going to add also a wifi antenne. A how to guide >HERE< sorry not in english  :-P) ask google

i will be thinking in how to connect the antenne to the wi fi card for the next 2 hours lol (not truth) i will post here what i conclude :)

SiLenTYL

« Reply #5 on: 16-July-05, 00:25:42 »

hi there
    i got myself a wireless-g/b/a mini-pci centrino card to replace with the current wireless-b card in my MSI 865 deluxe

I managed to pluck the card out of the mini-pci socket, but the antenna wires are still on the card :( so it wont come out

can i cut the wires and reattached them? i would have thought that would disrupt the wireless signal of the new card tho

i dont want to remove all the cages..as that seems too much work

does some1 have a guide/pics to replace the card?

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Birmingham, UK
      • StuOnline.co.uk
    « Reply #6 on: 16-July-05, 05:45:34 »
  • Best Answer

• normally the two antennae unplug from their connectors on the mini-pci card

its exactly the same setup as you would follow when replacing a mini PCI card in a notebook/laptop

Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

Jadi

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    « Reply #7 on: 16-July-05, 09:38:15 »
  • Best Answer

• Try to use a pair of tweezers to detach the antenna cables. I would not advise you to cut the wires!

JaDi
    Mega 180 with Athlon 2400+
    2x256 DDR PC 2100, 60 GB HDD
    Compro Videomate TV card (scheduled power-on)
    BTC 9019URF Wireless keyboard

SiLenTYL

« Reply #8 on: 16-July-05, 12:37:25 »

got it :)

i realised i could not take the riveted frame apart, so i just used brute force ...and its in and working.. :)

it seems to disconnect/reconnect a lot from the network tho..might need some tweeking

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Birmingham, UK
      • StuOnline.co.uk
    « Reply #9 on: 16-July-05, 13:13:46 »
  • Best Answer

• it may be a signal problem, try setting your router/AP to a different wireless channel

SiLenTYL

« Reply #10 on: 01-August-05, 03:19:44 »

nope...no change when changing wireless channels

i have mapped a network drive on my MSI MEGA...so it can access movies/pictures etc from another PC
    whenever i click (in My Computer) on the networked drive (named it M: ) it takes about 30 seconds to connect...also the internet takes just as long before anything appears....i have "Reconnect on Log-in" checked on the mapping
    after *finally* a connection is made..then the connection drops off after a few minutes....as if the connection is meant to be only active when used then shuts itself down to save power or something

i checked out the "View Wireless Networks" and discovered it had lost connection with the router
    i click on "Refresh" and it still says "No Networks Available"....im lost here....
    either it takes ages and lasts a few minutes to connect...or it doesnt connect at all

im talking about a wireless network here...heheh

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Birmingham, UK
      • StuOnline.co.uk
    « Reply #11 on: 01-August-05, 12:28:46 »
  • Best Answer

• oh i get occasional problems with my wireless network just like yours

(in fact just happened again!)

try using a Site Monitor utility (there may be one included in driver utility) to see if there are any other wireless networks nearby that may be interfering

select your channel to be as far away from others as possible

restarting your router is a useful (if annoying) fix

also check you don't have any cordless phones, microwave ovens etc affecting wireless signal strength

SiLenTYL

« Reply #12 on: 04-August-05, 03:09:13 »

there are no other wireless networks in my street
    restarting the router doesnt do anything useful
    i changed the channel number for wireless..no difference
    i have a microwave..but hardly eve use it and a cordless phoe which does not run on 2.4Ghz..

im thinking its perhaps a driver problem or hardware problem..but dont know where to start..

my wireless connection seems very fast...reaches 54Mb/s but the connection doesnt stay on long enough..only a few minutes at a time

*ggggrrr*  :think:

Stick

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
    • LIEUTENANT COLONEL
    « Reply #13 on: 04-August-05, 03:49:38 »
  • Best Answer

• try moving your rig and the router to various positions in the house, to see where you get the best signal. i installed my wireless network at home about 2 weeks ago and had the same problems, till i found a good location in the house for the router. the positions of the antenas from the router also makes a big difference, since they are probably omnidirectional antenas. another thing that i found to be usefull is to place the router at aprox. the same vertical level as the wireless cards in the computers. if after this it is still a no go, i suggest you try purchasing some high-gain omnidirectional antenas (preferably >= +9dBi) and replace the ones that you have on the router and on the wireless cards.
    good luck.
    A64 3000+ Winchester Sk939 CBBID 0451 (289.11x9 - 2601.95 MHz - stock cooling, 46C full load, using clockgen)
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=25523
    MSI K8N SLI PLatinum
    Asus Extreme N6600GT/TD/128M(@600/1300) - replaced with HIS ATI HD 4560
    2x512 Geil Ultra (2-2-2-5)
    2x160GB WD IDE
    DVD-RW LG4160B
    Philips 170S5 LCD, Liteon 19"CRT
    Logitech X-530
    SBLive 24bits 7.1 onboard
    Thermaltake Purepower 480W

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M3438G, Pentium M 760 (2.0 GHz), 2 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 533 MHz, 2 x 100 GB Fujitsu S-ATA 5400 rpm - RAID-0, GeForce Go 6800 - 3850 3dmark05, 17"
    Acer Aspire 7730G, Core2Duo T9800 (2.8 Ghz), 2 x 2 GB Hynix DDR2 800 MHz, 2 x Seagate S-ATA 7200 rpm, GeForce 9600M GT, 17"

SiLenTYL

« Reply #14 on: 27-September-05, 05:15:45 »

ahh ha! success...

I got new Intel drivers for my wireless Mini-PCI card from the Intel site itself.
    It now is very stable...transferred more than 5gig at once without dropouts :)
    Only problem is that the speed is sacrificed a bit...i was getting slightly higher transfer rates with the original drivers(which came with the card).. now im getting max 2MByte/s(16Mbits/s) with these new drivers....also Windows can see the wireless network connection as "Status:Excellent"..so im pleased with the stability

Can any1 explain how(even when 2 wireless-G devices are sitting next to each other) they can never reach 54MBit/s ??? So then 108MB/s must be an absolute load of crap ..and not even reach 54MBit/s properly

I should be getting around 54MBit/s ..after all why say its 54MBit/s when its not ....grrrr

lucie

« Reply #15 on: 17-October-05, 04:04:47 »

Hi, I'm having trouble with my wifi connection (I have a 865 deluxe and a 180 and both have a very bad wifi range it seems)
    So
    I've taken the normal radio antenne (because i have a other tv card with radio and antenne) and taken the mini pci card and linked both up to each other and now i have the radio antenna as a wifi antenna wich has a range of +- 100 M measured

I'm interrested in this method if possible. Has any one infos ?

Thanks

wiretap

« Reply #16 on: 19-October-05, 13:55:38 »

About the speeds...
    In my CISCO class, they told us that half of that speed is reserved for data transmission or encryption.. thats why it always goes a little slower than it says. In reality, I guess it is around half. So, for 11mb/sec, figure around 5.5mb/sec, and so on.. Sometimes with newer driver and optimial conditions without interference, you might get your actual speed as advertised.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up