Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone tried 1.2C BIOS?  (Read 17282 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

hostile 17

  • Guest
Has anyone tried 1.2C BIOS?
« on: 05-July-04, 07:01:56 »

I just recieved a reply from MSI asking me to try the 1.2C BIOS attached.

I'm a bit of a n00b myself so I don't know if it's worth trying, I was going to just return my motherboard.

Can you still return a motherboard once it's BIOS has been flashed btw?
Logged

Dragula

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 05-July-04, 07:06:42 »

Dont know about returning, but this is the 1st i've heard of the 1.2 C bios must be only out 2 day, post a link 4 it some where and a few of us will test it

D.
Logged

ksarkisian

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 05-July-04, 07:10:53 »

I just patched with 12c and my temp is fixed!!!!!  I have a Clawhammer CG.  God bless america.  I will try and post soon.  Can I email this to someone to post?
Logged

hostile 17

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 05-July-04, 07:25:22 »

Please forgive me being a dumbass, but the email they sent me had 2 links to 2 different sets of instructions for installing the BIOS. One was "AMI flash procedure" and the other was "flshing the BIOS for users using NON FAT file system".

Which of these do I use with my motherboard?

(and if anyone still has an answer to that flashing bios and returning motherboard question that'd be groovy  :-D))
Logged

lichtje

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 05-July-04, 07:27:43 »

Quote
Originally posted by ksarkisian
I just patched with 12c and my temp is fixed!!!!!  I have a Clawhammer CG.  God bless america.  I will try and post soon.  Can I email this to someone to post?

Email it to me, and ill put it online :)
Logged

noob64

  • CORPORAL
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 05-July-04, 07:31:14 »
  • Best Answer

  • can someone send it to me mail

    i can host it if u want   8-))
    Logged
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum using BIOS v1.2C
    A64 3200+(CG) running @ 2 GHz  250HTT
    2x512MB Kit Geil PC4000 Ultra Platinum 2,5-4-4-7
    FX 5900
    1 80GB Samung sata
    1 160GB Samsung sata
    Windows XP Pro Sp1
    Plextor 116A DVD
    NEC 1100A DVD
    Enermax 460 Watts
    Cpu, Gpu and PS watercooled

    gertvdijk

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 05-July-04, 07:33:57 »

    Quote
    Can you still return a motherboard once it's BIOS has been flashed btw?
    As long as you don't flash a 'hacked' BIOS there's no way your supplier nor MSI don't want to take it back. The BIOS you have is from MSI with the instructions to flash. I don't see any concern to flash your mobo and try it. ;-))
    Logged

    MattyD

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 05-July-04, 07:54:53 »

    ME too, send it this way and i'll host it in the UK :)
    Logged

    Deeez

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 05-July-04, 08:05:39 »

    Cmon where is the link for the new bios???????????????????? :confused2:
    Logged

    Dragula

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 05-July-04, 08:07:01 »

    lol make sure and test it online with COd folks.
    Logged

    lichtje

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 05-July-04, 08:13:00 »

    Quote
    Originally posted by Deeez
    Cmon where is the link for the new bios???????????????????? :confused2:

    Cant host it if i dont have it :)
    Will post a link as soon as someone mails it to me
    Logged

    Deeez

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 05-July-04, 08:53:36 »

    Hostile 17 has it. Im telling him to post it. If i dont get anything today, its RMA'd
    Logged

    FrankenBerrie

    • FIRST LIEUTENANT
    • ***
    • Offline Offline
    • Posts: 280
    (No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 05-July-04, 09:39:01 »
  • Best Answer

  • Me also please info@maksys.biz
    Logged
    Intel Q9550 • MSI P35 Platinum (bios 1.10) • OCZ DDR1066 8GB (2GBx4) • XFX 8800 Ultra • OCZ 700W • Vista Business x64

    AcUaViVa

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 05-July-04, 09:58:44 »

    Logged

    JayPSC

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 05-July-04, 10:22:25 »

    Anyone hosting this yet? I wanna give it a go before I RMA this crappy board
    Logged

    WannaFly

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #15 on: 05-July-04, 10:22:48 »

    send me one plz, and thanks.

    kendotcomdotcn@hotmail.com :biggthumbsup:
    Logged

    Deeez

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 05-July-04, 10:26:40 »

    Why post emails,  just post the damn thing here.   o_0
    Logged

    MattyD

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 05-July-04, 10:55:44 »

    I just sent Hostile 17 an email to his profile email address, fingers crossed he reads his mail :)
    Logged

    hostile 17

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 05-July-04, 11:09:39 »

    Me to the rescue!

    It's sent, sorry I had my PC off for a while there due to the fear of extreme heat  :angryfire:
    Logged

    lichtje

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #19 on: 05-July-04, 11:16:22 »

    Logged

    MattyD

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #20 on: 05-July-04, 11:18:08 »

    Logged

    Deeez

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #21 on: 05-July-04, 11:24:35 »

    Your file is corrupt,     :nooo:   Unbelievable
    Logged

    noob64

    • CORPORAL
    • ****
    • Offline Offline
    • Posts: 19
    (No subject)
    « Reply #22 on: 05-July-04, 11:25:57 »
  • Best Answer

  • and here too

    K8N_Bios12C
    Logged
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum using BIOS v1.2C
    A64 3200+(CG) running @ 2 GHz  250HTT
    2x512MB Kit Geil PC4000 Ultra Platinum 2,5-4-4-7
    FX 5900
    1 80GB Samung sata
    1 160GB Samsung sata
    Windows XP Pro Sp1
    Plextor 116A DVD
    NEC 1100A DVD
    Enermax 460 Watts
    Cpu, Gpu and PS watercooled

    WannaFly

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #23 on: 05-July-04, 11:26:28 »

    :biggthumbsup:thanks for the link:P

    i will try this right now.and post the result later.
    Logged

    Thomas1234

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #24 on: 05-July-04, 11:28:23 »

    God with you WannaFly , just tell us when you are done  :-D)
    Logged

    MattyD

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #25 on: 05-July-04, 11:37:08 »

    bugger, I didnt have an FTP package on this pc so used the cmd promt, perhaps I didnt do the binary switch.... well its reporting a date of 02/07/04, so its only a couple of days old.
    Logged

    iSteez

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #26 on: 05-July-04, 11:37:39 »

    Flashing in a bit as well... Will advise shortly !!!  :shocking:
    Logged

    MattyD

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #27 on: 05-July-04, 11:40:42 »

    ok resent the file to my FTP with the binary option set :P
    Logged

    ksarkisian

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #28 on: 05-July-04, 11:44:29 »

    I just emailed a whole bunch of you guys.  temp is right!!!  also caveat...if you get funky vga problems then do this...bios...core cell...shift-f2 and turn off ati/nvidia performance enfancement.  Only for the new cards and it took me 2 hours to figure out!!!!
    Logged

    JayPSC

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #29 on: 05-July-04, 11:50:33 »

    Just flashed the new bios, still can't get above 220 HTT 1:1 - this board is officially WANK  :angryfire:
    Logged

    Deeez

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #30 on: 05-July-04, 12:10:40 »

    Quote
    Originally posted by ksarkisian
    I just emailed a whole bunch of you guys.  temp is right!!!  also caveat...if you get funky vga problems then do this...bios...core cell...shift-f2 and turn off ati/nvidia performance enfancement.  Only for the new cards and it took me 2 hours to figure out!!!!


            Most of us tried this, still VGA problems . I have totally had it.
    Logged

    WannaFly

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #31 on: 05-July-04, 12:25:04 »

    simple test finished.


    no surprises :angryfire:

    Still cant cold boot over 232FSB, whatever multis.

    and seems more unstalbed than offical 1.1

    i used to get stable at 232*10 ,Vcore1.5v

    but with this bios, it cant finish Super PI 1M even o_0

    when running at stock 200*11, it just cant finish running 3D mark03 :angryfire:

    one warnning was coming out.

    But it fixed the temp probs just like the 1.2A.

    dissapointing :bonk:
    Logged

    iSteez

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #32 on: 05-July-04, 12:31:22 »

    Yet another no better no worse for me... I am not dissappointed w/ the board to this point though...  :biggthumbsup:
    Logged

    Dragula

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #33 on: 05-July-04, 13:27:55 »

    N e body tried runnin COd or other games @ stock

    D.
    Logged

    Prodani12

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #34 on: 05-July-04, 13:31:12 »

    I am using the 'new' bios now and the board still sucks at overclocking.  Failing prime all over the place.
    Logged

    Tiresmoke

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #35 on: 05-July-04, 13:35:08 »

    If your failing Prime then you have a hardware or setting proplem with Bios typically. Have you tried running Memtest86+ to see if RAM< is good or set right?
    Logged

    Prodani12

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #36 on: 05-July-04, 13:52:09 »

    Yes I have tried memtest86 and the ram is passing no problem.

    I also tried lowering the multi to 9 and raising the voltage to 1.6 and HTT to 235.  At which it still failed prime, just took a bit longer.
    Logged

    moinerus

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #37 on: 05-July-04, 13:52:34 »

    Feckin A my temps are fixed and I now have no problems with this board at all YEY! Idlin at 37c. much better than 57||>.
    Logged

    Tiresmoke

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #38 on: 05-July-04, 13:53:56 »

    Quote
    Originally posted by Prodani12
    Yes I have tried memtest86 and the ram is passing no problem.
    Did you do a clean install of Windows or just recycle what you had when you built the system?
    Logged

    BlackHearted

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #39 on: 05-July-04, 14:14:31 »

    :confused2:

    Flashed the new Bios with some weird results:

    Case = 41C
    CPU = 44C at Idle
    Case Fan = Dead on reboot (Well not quite dead spins for about 15 secs on startup)


    Rapidly Losing Patience,

    Black
    Logged

    Tiresmoke

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #40 on: 05-July-04, 14:23:23 »

    Did you disable virus protection in the Bios before you flashed? I would reflash back to the last version that worked and make sure that you disable the Boot Sector Virus Protection in Bios first. Beta Bios's are for testing only. They can fix some issues or make some worst. Best to let MSI know the results and what Hardware you have so they can get the beta info they need to correct it.
    Logged

    Prodani12

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #41 on: 05-July-04, 15:01:44 »

    Yea I have a clean install of windows and not a recycled one.

    I dont know any more.  Ppl are getting like 240x10 at 1.55 vcore with otherboards.  I know every chip varies but I doubt I got the worst one.
    Logged

    Tiresmoke

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #42 on: 05-July-04, 15:08:27 »

    Well first off I did not realise you are overclocking that much. Back that down and if you are going to overclock then take things one step at a time. Run memtest86+ and Prime95 at each step and overclock a couple mghz at a time until those tests show things becoming unstable. Then back off a step or two and see where you are at. If the system is unstable then you are clocking too high and stability is more important than getting the absolute last drop of speed out of it.

    Also if you expect continued help post your specs in your signature in your system profile. It is hard to help someone when you have no idea what they have or what they are doing with it.
    Logged

    Deviation56

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #43 on: 05-July-04, 15:52:48 »

    Hallelujah! (sp? lol)

    My temps are finally fixed!!! For anyone that needs to know how to flash the bios:

    --Quick Guide for flashing BIOS, provided by MSI--
    1. Create a MS-DOS boot diskette, then copy the AWFL833D.EXE and BIOS file(W7030NMS.12C) to the floppy disk. Both of these files can be found in the package you downloaded.
    2. Press "Delete" and go to BIOS setup while computer bootup.
    Check BIOS advanced features and see if BIOS flash write control is enabled
    (This option must be enabled. If you can not find this setting, it means the BIOS can be
    flashed.)
    3. Boot from MS-DOS boot diskette and get a:\> prompt.
    4. Type "AWFL833D W7030NMS.12C", then press ENTER
    5. The flash program will then ask "Do you want to save BIOS?", please press "N" for no. The when you see Press 'Y' to program or 'N' to Exit, please press "Y" to continue.
    6. After flashing complete, remove floppy and reset the system .
    7. Press DELETE or F1 when prompted at first reboot after flashing.
    8. Load BIOS optimized defaults, then save settings and exits.
    Logged

    pieman109

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #44 on: 05-July-04, 16:10:02 »

    Geat news about the temps, but has stability at higher overclocks been sorted? I'm currently at 2400 (240 x 10), HTTx3,1.6Vcore, but being greedy I want more. Does this bios versh give a higher attainable fsb, say 250 and higher?
    Logged

    Jasonxxx

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #45 on: 05-July-04, 16:26:30 »

    Well I flashed to this bios and my temps didn't change any, but I didn't have any temp problems in the first place. 36C Idle, and 47C Load.... Aircooled

    I see alot of people posting saying they can not get stable overclocks.. Well I must have spent hours on upon hours testing, taking notes, and isolating the problems...

    One of the first things I noticed was that my 3200+ (CG Clawhammer) was not a very good OCer.. It's max stable at first was 2340mhz.... at 1.6v.. My temps were rising over 54C... and My max OC was 2425mhz

    So after exhausting the memory and finding it's max stable. I then found that the motherboard will not cold boot async corectly.. So I have reamained with the stock multi until I get some 3700EB to run 1:1.
    I maxed out 2 X 512mb(Corsair BH5) @ 233mhz, and ran stable at 230Mhz...

    I then was looking for a better way to cool the processor, as I could tell that voltage did not help any for stability over 2340mhz, So I removed the IHS on the CPU and then clean the processor w/ alcohol and cleaned the heatsink with jewelry cleaner and then recleaned it with alcohol.. The bottom of the heatsink instantly shined and was completely free of any finger prints, thermal compound or residue...

    I then placed a good amount of AS5 on the middle of the cpu ( I did not spread it ) and heated it up with a hair dryer, and also heated up the bottom of the heatsink. After a couple of minutes of heating, I quickly and carefully placed the heatsink on top the cpu w/o the stand off's ( so the heatsink would make good contact with the cpu).
    I counted my turns as I screwed the heatsink down alternating between sides after 1 full revolution of the screw..

    Now with the heatsink still fairly warm I attached the bare components to run on the bench and ran prime95 for 3- 4 hours with 1. 8v Vcore at 2300mhz to burn it in real good.. Then I installed everything back into the case and started testing again..

    I was now able to run prime stable at 2475 @ 1.65v and my max OC is now 2565mhz..@1.8v

    After a couple of days of running the system and testing I have become stable @ 2500mhz (At least 2hours of Prime "Small FFT's" )

    So as you can see when it comes to OCing the A64 these three main components are more crucial than the motherboard:

    1- Cpu
    2- Powersupply (By the way I'm using a PC Power & Cooling 510)
    3- Memory

    Most of the popular motherboards, i.e. MSI Neo Plat, Gigabyte K8NS-Pro, Epox boards have less to do with the OC than the older NF2.. (That is with aircooled & watercooled anyway)

    I have seen many A64 chips max out @ 2600mhz on the above motherboards with phase change cooling..

    I would suggest that you do your homework and start simple and one by one test your system and find the limiting components...

    If you obtain somewhere between 2300 -2500mhz with a Clawhammer you are most likely at your cpu's max OC... Unless your running 1:1 then your memory has to be factored in(or you have cheap memory)..

    If you have a newcastle core then you can expect about 100 - 200mhz more overclock than the average clawhammer, but your performance is the same as the clawhammer...
    If you are using phase change cooling you are most likely better off with a Newcastle core because of the higher multi's...
    Logged

    Deviation56

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #46 on: 05-July-04, 16:45:58 »

    Quote
    Originally posted by Jasonxxx
    Well I flashed to this bios and my temps didn't change any, but I didn't have any temp problems in the first place. 36C Idle, and 47C Load.... Aircooled

    I see alot of people posting saying they can not get stable overclocks.. Well I must have spent hours on upon hours testing, taking notes, and isolating the problems...

    One of the first things I noticed was that my 3200+ (CG Clawhammer) was not a very good OCer.. It's max stable at first was 2340mhz.... at 1.6v.. My temps were rising over 54C... and My max OC was 2425mhz

    So after exhausting the memory and finding it's max stable. I then found that the motherboard will not cold boot async corectly.. So I have reamained with the stock multi until I get some 3700EB to run 1:1.
    I maxed out 2 X 512mb(Corsair BH5) @ 233mhz, and ran stable at 230Mhz...

    I then was looking for a better way to cool the processor, as I could tell that voltage did not help any for stability over 2340mhz, So I removed the IHS on the CPU and then clean the processor w/ alcohol and cleaned the heatsink with jewelry cleaner and then recleaned it with alcohol.. The bottom of the heatsink instantly shined and was completely free of any finger prints, thermal compound or residue...

    I then placed a good amount of AS5 on the middle of the cpu ( I did not spread it ) and heated it up with a hair dryer, and also heated up the bottom of the heatsink. After a couple of minutes of heating, I quickly and carefully placed the heatsink on top the cpu w/o the stand off's ( so the heatsink would make good contact with the cpu).
    I counted my turns as I screwed the heatsink down alternating between sides after 1 full revolution of the screw..

    Now with the heatsink still fairly warm I attached the bare components to run on the bench and ran prime95 for 3- 4 hours with 1. 8v Vcore at 2300mhz to burn it in real good.. Then I installed everything back into the case and started testing again..

    I was now able to run prime stable at 2475 @ 1.65v and my max OC is now 2565mhz..@1.8v

    After a couple of days of running the system and testing I have become stable @ 2500mhz (At least 2hours of Prime "Small FFT's" )

    So as you can see when it comes to OCing the A64 these three main components are more crucial than the motherboard:

    1- Cpu
    2- Powersupply (By the way I'm using a PC Power & Cooling 510)
    3- Memory

    Most of the popular motherboards, i.e. MSI Neo Plat, Gigabyte K8NS-Pro, Epox boards have less to do with the OC than the older NF2.. (That is with aircooled & watercooled anyway)

    I have seen many A64 chips max out @ 2600mhz on the above motherboards with phase change cooling..

    I would suggest that you do your homework and start simple and one by one test your system and find the limiting components...

    If you obtain somewhere between 2300 -2500mhz with a Clawhammer you are most likely at your cpu's max OC... Unless your running 1:1 then your memory has to be factored in(or you have cheap memory)..

    If you have a newcastle core then you can expect about 100 - 200mhz more overclock than the average clawhammer, but your performance is the same as the clawhammer...
    If you are using phase change cooling you are most likely better off with a Newcastle core because of the higher multi's...

    I also want to remove my IHS but I'm not too fond of voiding my warranty... How hard/easy is it to screw up your CPU after removing the IHS?
    Logged

    mitchw

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #47 on: 05-July-04, 16:55:56 »

    I just flashed with the 1.2C BIOS I downloaded from here - and no change to my temps.  :biggthumbsdown: :nooo:

    BTW - when the computer boots, the POST readout reports the BIOS as 1.2B12, not 1.2C -- is that what you guys are seeing?
    Logged

    c3po

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #48 on: 05-July-04, 16:56:37 »

    hmm just got the board and it workes fin by me...

    just update to 12C bios

    i can OC me 3400+ 2200 to 2550 np her...

    i uset clockgen. to get multi 10.5 FSB 240 and HT at x3 workes fin
    Logged

    Deviation56

    • Guest
    (No subject)
    « Reply #49 on: 05-July-04, 16:56:45 »

    Quote
    Originally posted by mitchw
    I just flashed with the 1.2C BIOS I downloaded from here - and no change to my temps.  :biggthumbsdown: :nooo:

    BTW - when the computer boots, the POST readout reports the BIOS as 1.2B12, not 1.2C -- is that what you guys are seeing?

    It's supposed to be 1.2B12
    Logged
    Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up