Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone tried 1.2C BIOS?  (Read 17189 times)

hostile 17

Has anyone tried 1.2C BIOS?
« on: 05-July-04, 07:01:56 »

I just recieved a reply from MSI asking me to try the 1.2C BIOS attached.

I'm a bit of a n00b myself so I don't know if it's worth trying, I was going to just return my motherboard.

Can you still return a motherboard once it's BIOS has been flashed btw?

Dragula

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 05-July-04, 07:06:42 »

Dont know about returning, but this is the 1st i've heard of the 1.2 C bios must be only out 2 day, post a link 4 it some where and a few of us will test it

D.

ksarkisian

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 05-July-04, 07:10:53 »

I just patched with 12c and my temp is fixed!!!!!  I have a Clawhammer CG.  God bless america.  I will try and post soon.  Can I email this to someone to post?

hostile 17

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 05-July-04, 07:25:22 »

Please forgive me being a dumbass, but the email they sent me had 2 links to 2 different sets of instructions for installing the BIOS. One was "AMI flash procedure" and the other was "flshing the BIOS for users using NON FAT file system".

Which of these do I use with my motherboard?

(and if anyone still has an answer to that flashing bios and returning motherboard question that'd be groovy  :-D))

lichtje

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 05-July-04, 07:27:43 »

Originally posted by ksarkisian
I just patched with 12c and my temp is fixed!!!!!  I have a Clawhammer CG.  God bless america.  I will try and post soon.  Can I email this to someone to post?

Email it to me, and ill put it online :)

noob64

• CORPORAL
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 05-July-04, 07:31:14 »
  • Best Answer

• can someone send it to me mail

i can host it if u want   8-))
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum using BIOS v1.2C
    A64 3200+(CG) running @ 2 GHz  250HTT
    2x512MB Kit Geil PC4000 Ultra Platinum 2,5-4-4-7
    FX 5900
    1 80GB Samung sata
    1 160GB Samsung sata
    Windows XP Pro Sp1
    Plextor 116A DVD
    NEC 1100A DVD
    Enermax 460 Watts
    Cpu, Gpu and PS watercooled

gertvdijk

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 05-July-04, 07:33:57 »

Can you still return a motherboard once it's BIOS has been flashed btw?
    As long as you don't flash a 'hacked' BIOS there's no way your supplier nor MSI don't want to take it back. The BIOS you have is from MSI with the instructions to flash. I don't see any concern to flash your mobo and try it. ;-))

MattyD

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 05-July-04, 07:54:53 »

ME too, send it this way and i'll host it in the UK :)

Deeez

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 05-July-04, 08:05:39 »

Cmon where is the link for the new bios???????????????????? :confused2:

Dragula

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 05-July-04, 08:07:01 »

lol make sure and test it online with COd folks.

lichtje

(No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 05-July-04, 08:13:00 »

Originally posted by Deeez
    Cmon where is the link for the new bios???????????????????? :confused2:

Cant host it if i dont have it :)
    Will post a link as soon as someone mails it to me

Deeez

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 05-July-04, 08:53:36 »

Hostile 17 has it. Im telling him to post it. If i dont get anything today, its RMA'd

FrankenBerrie

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 05-July-04, 09:39:01 »
  • Best Answer

• Me also please info@maksys.biz
    Intel Q9550 • MSI P35 Platinum (bios 1.10) • OCZ DDR1066 8GB (2GBx4) • XFX 8800 Ultra • OCZ 700W • Vista Business x64

AcUaViVa

(No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 05-July-04, 09:58:44 »

JayPSC

(No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 05-July-04, 10:22:25 »

Anyone hosting this yet? I wanna give it a go before I RMA this crappy board

WannaFly

(No subject)
    « Reply #15 on: 05-July-04, 10:22:48 »

send me one plz, and thanks.

kendotcomdotcn@hotmail.com :biggthumbsup:

Deeez

(No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 05-July-04, 10:26:40 »

Why post emails,  just post the damn thing here.   o_0

MattyD

(No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 05-July-04, 10:55:44 »

I just sent Hostile 17 an email to his profile email address, fingers crossed he reads his mail :)

hostile 17

(No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 05-July-04, 11:09:39 »

Me to the rescue!

It's sent, sorry I had my PC off for a while there due to the fear of extreme heat  :angryfire:

lichtje

(No subject)
    « Reply #19 on: 05-July-04, 11:16:22 »

MattyD

(No subject)
    « Reply #20 on: 05-July-04, 11:18:08 »

Deeez

(No subject)
    « Reply #21 on: 05-July-04, 11:24:35 »

Your file is corrupt,     :nooo:   Unbelievable

noob64

• CORPORAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #22 on: 05-July-04, 11:25:57 »
  • Best Answer

• and here too

K8N_Bios12C
    FX 5900
    1 80GB Samung sata
    1 160GB Samsung sata
    Windows XP Pro Sp1
    Plextor 116A DVD
    NEC 1100A DVD
    Enermax 460 Watts

WannaFly

(No subject)
    « Reply #23 on: 05-July-04, 11:26:28 »

:biggthumbsup:thanks for the link:P

i will try this right now.and post the result later.

Thomas1234

(No subject)
    « Reply #24 on: 05-July-04, 11:28:23 »

God with you WannaFly , just tell us when you are done  :-D)

MattyD

(No subject)
    « Reply #25 on: 05-July-04, 11:37:08 »

bugger, I didnt have an FTP package on this pc so used the cmd promt, perhaps I didnt do the binary switch.... well its reporting a date of 02/07/04, so its only a couple of days old.

iSteez

(No subject)
    « Reply #26 on: 05-July-04, 11:37:39 »

Flashing in a bit as well... Will advise shortly !!!  :shocking:

MattyD

(No subject)
    « Reply #27 on: 05-July-04, 11:40:42 »

ok resent the file to my FTP with the binary option set :P

ksarkisian

(No subject)
    « Reply #28 on: 05-July-04, 11:44:29 »

I just emailed a whole bunch of you guys.  temp is right!!!  also caveat...if you get funky vga problems then do this...bios...core cell...shift-f2 and turn off ati/nvidia performance enfancement.  Only for the new cards and it took me 2 hours to figure out!!!!

JayPSC

(No subject)
    « Reply #29 on: 05-July-04, 11:50:33 »

Just flashed the new bios, still can't get above 220 HTT 1:1 - this board is officially WANK  :angryfire:

Deeez

(No subject)
    « Reply #30 on: 05-July-04, 12:10:40 »

Originally posted by ksarkisian
    I just emailed a whole bunch of you guys.  temp is right!!!  also caveat...if you get funky vga problems then do this...bios...core cell...shift-f2 and turn off ati/nvidia performance enfancement.  Only for the new cards and it took me 2 hours to figure out!!!!

Most of us tried this, still VGA problems . I have totally had it.

WannaFly

(No subject)
    « Reply #31 on: 05-July-04, 12:25:04 »

simple test finished.

no surprises :angryfire:

Still cant cold boot over 232FSB, whatever multis.

and seems more unstalbed than offical 1.1

i used to get stable at 232*10 ,Vcore1.5v

but with this bios, it cant finish Super PI 1M even o_0

when running at stock 200*11, it just cant finish running 3D mark03 :angryfire:

one warnning was coming out.

But it fixed the temp probs just like the 1.2A.

dissapointing :bonk:

iSteez

(No subject)
    « Reply #32 on: 05-July-04, 12:31:22 »

Yet another no better no worse for me... I am not dissappointed w/ the board to this point though...  :biggthumbsup:

Dragula

(No subject)
    « Reply #33 on: 05-July-04, 13:27:55 »

N e body tried runnin COd or other games @ stock

D.

Prodani12

(No subject)
    « Reply #34 on: 05-July-04, 13:31:12 »

I am using the 'new' bios now and the board still sucks at overclocking.  Failing prime all over the place.

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #35 on: 05-July-04, 13:35:08 »

If your failing Prime then you have a hardware or setting proplem with Bios typically. Have you tried running Memtest86+ to see if RAM< is good or set right?

Prodani12

(No subject)
    « Reply #36 on: 05-July-04, 13:52:09 »

Yes I have tried memtest86 and the ram is passing no problem.

I also tried lowering the multi to 9 and raising the voltage to 1.6 and HTT to 235.  At which it still failed prime, just took a bit longer.

moinerus

(No subject)
    « Reply #37 on: 05-July-04, 13:52:34 »

Feckin A my temps are fixed and I now have no problems with this board at all YEY! Idlin at 37c. much better than 57||>.

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #38 on: 05-July-04, 13:53:56 »

Originally posted by Prodani12
    Yes I have tried memtest86 and the ram is passing no problem.
    Did you do a clean install of Windows or just recycle what you had when you built the system?

BlackHearted

(No subject)
    « Reply #39 on: 05-July-04, 14:14:31 »

:confused2:

Flashed the new Bios with some weird results:

Case = 41C
    CPU = 44C at Idle
    Case Fan = Dead on reboot (Well not quite dead spins for about 15 secs on startup)

Rapidly Losing Patience,

Black

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #40 on: 05-July-04, 14:23:23 »

Did you disable virus protection in the Bios before you flashed? I would reflash back to the last version that worked and make sure that you disable the Boot Sector Virus Protection in Bios first. Beta Bios's are for testing only. They can fix some issues or make some worst. Best to let MSI know the results and what Hardware you have so they can get the beta info they need to correct it.

Prodani12

(No subject)
    « Reply #41 on: 05-July-04, 15:01:44 »

Yea I have a clean install of windows and not a recycled one.

I dont know any more.  Ppl are getting like 240x10 at 1.55 vcore with otherboards.  I know every chip varies but I doubt I got the worst one.

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #42 on: 05-July-04, 15:08:27 »

Well first off I did not realise you are overclocking that much. Back that down and if you are going to overclock then take things one step at a time. Run memtest86+ and Prime95 at each step and overclock a couple mghz at a time until those tests show things becoming unstable. Then back off a step or two and see where you are at. If the system is unstable then you are clocking too high and stability is more important than getting the absolute last drop of speed out of it.

Also if you expect continued help post your specs in your signature in your system profile. It is hard to help someone when you have no idea what they have or what they are doing with it.

Deviation56

(No subject)
    « Reply #43 on: 05-July-04, 15:52:48 »

Hallelujah! (sp? lol)

My temps are finally fixed!!! For anyone that needs to know how to flash the bios:

--Quick Guide for flashing BIOS, provided by MSI--
    1. Create a MS-DOS boot diskette, then copy the AWFL833D.EXE and BIOS file(W7030NMS.12C) to the floppy disk. Both of these files can be found in the package you downloaded.
    2. Press "Delete" and go to BIOS setup while computer bootup.
    Check BIOS advanced features and see if BIOS flash write control is enabled
    (This option must be enabled. If you can not find this setting, it means the BIOS can be
    flashed.)
    3. Boot from MS-DOS boot diskette and get a:\> prompt.
    4. Type "AWFL833D W7030NMS.12C", then press ENTER
    5. The flash program will then ask "Do you want to save BIOS?", please press "N" for no. The when you see Press 'Y' to program or 'N' to Exit, please press "Y" to continue.
    6. After flashing complete, remove floppy and reset the system .
    7. Press DELETE or F1 when prompted at first reboot after flashing.
    8. Load BIOS optimized defaults, then save settings and exits.

pieman109

(No subject)
    « Reply #44 on: 05-July-04, 16:10:02 »

Geat news about the temps, but has stability at higher overclocks been sorted? I'm currently at 2400 (240 x 10), HTTx3,1.6Vcore, but being greedy I want more. Does this bios versh give a higher attainable fsb, say 250 and higher?

Jasonxxx

(No subject)
    « Reply #45 on: 05-July-04, 16:26:30 »

Well I flashed to this bios and my temps didn't change any, but I didn't have any temp problems in the first place. 36C Idle, and 47C Load.... Aircooled

I see alot of people posting saying they can not get stable overclocks.. Well I must have spent hours on upon hours testing, taking notes, and isolating the problems...

One of the first things I noticed was that my 3200+ (CG Clawhammer) was not a very good OCer.. It's max stable at first was 2340mhz.... at 1.6v.. My temps were rising over 54C... and My max OC was 2425mhz

So after exhausting the memory and finding it's max stable. I then found that the motherboard will not cold boot async corectly.. So I have reamained with the stock multi until I get some 3700EB to run 1:1.
    I maxed out 2 X 512mb(Corsair BH5) @ 233mhz, and ran stable at 230Mhz...

I then was looking for a better way to cool the processor, as I could tell that voltage did not help any for stability over 2340mhz, So I removed the IHS on the CPU and then clean the processor w/ alcohol and cleaned the heatsink with jewelry cleaner and then recleaned it with alcohol.. The bottom of the heatsink instantly shined and was completely free of any finger prints, thermal compound or residue...

I then placed a good amount of AS5 on the middle of the cpu ( I did not spread it ) and heated it up with a hair dryer, and also heated up the bottom of the heatsink. After a couple of minutes of heating, I quickly and carefully placed the heatsink on top the cpu w/o the stand off's ( so the heatsink would make good contact with the cpu).
    I counted my turns as I screwed the heatsink down alternating between sides after 1 full revolution of the screw..

Now with the heatsink still fairly warm I attached the bare components to run on the bench and ran prime95 for 3- 4 hours with 1. 8v Vcore at 2300mhz to burn it in real good.. Then I installed everything back into the case and started testing again..

I was now able to run prime stable at 2475 @ 1.65v and my max OC is now 2565mhz..@1.8v

After a couple of days of running the system and testing I have become stable @ 2500mhz (At least 2hours of Prime "Small FFT's" )

So as you can see when it comes to OCing the A64 these three main components are more crucial than the motherboard:

1- Cpu
    2- Powersupply (By the way I'm using a PC Power & Cooling 510)
    3- Memory

Most of the popular motherboards, i.e. MSI Neo Plat, Gigabyte K8NS-Pro, Epox boards have less to do with the OC than the older NF2.. (That is with aircooled & watercooled anyway)

I have seen many A64 chips max out @ 2600mhz on the above motherboards with phase change cooling..

I would suggest that you do your homework and start simple and one by one test your system and find the limiting components...

If you obtain somewhere between 2300 -2500mhz with a Clawhammer you are most likely at your cpu's max OC... Unless your running 1:1 then your memory has to be factored in(or you have cheap memory)..

If you have a newcastle core then you can expect about 100 - 200mhz more overclock than the average clawhammer, but your performance is the same as the clawhammer...
    If you are using phase change cooling you are most likely better off with a Newcastle core because of the higher multi's...

Deviation56

(No subject)
    « Reply #46 on: 05-July-04, 16:45:58 »

Originally posted by Jasonxxx
    Well I flashed to this bios and my temps didn't change any, but I didn't have any temp problems in the first place. 36C Idle, and 47C Load.... Aircooled

I see alot of people posting saying they can not get stable overclocks.. Well I must have spent hours on upon hours testing, taking notes, and isolating the problems...

One of the first things I noticed was that my 3200+ (CG Clawhammer) was not a very good OCer.. It's max stable at first was 2340mhz.... at 1.6v.. My temps were rising over 54C... and My max OC was 2425mhz

So after exhausting the memory and finding it's max stable. I then found that the motherboard will not cold boot async corectly.. So I have reamained with the stock multi until I get some 3700EB to run 1:1.
    I maxed out 2 X 512mb(Corsair BH5) @ 233mhz, and ran stable at 230Mhz...

I then was looking for a better way to cool the processor, as I could tell that voltage did not help any for stability over 2340mhz, So I removed the IHS on the CPU and then clean the processor w/ alcohol and cleaned the heatsink with jewelry cleaner and then recleaned it with alcohol.. The bottom of the heatsink instantly shined and was completely free of any finger prints, thermal compound or residue...

I then placed a good amount of AS5 on the middle of the cpu ( I did not spread it ) and heated it up with a hair dryer, and also heated up the bottom of the heatsink. After a couple of minutes of heating, I quickly and carefully placed the heatsink on top the cpu w/o the stand off's ( so the heatsink would make good contact with the cpu).
    I counted my turns as I screwed the heatsink down alternating between sides after 1 full revolution of the screw..

Now with the heatsink still fairly warm I attached the bare components to run on the bench and ran prime95 for 3- 4 hours with 1. 8v Vcore at 2300mhz to burn it in real good.. Then I installed everything back into the case and started testing again..

I was now able to run prime stable at 2475 @ 1.65v and my max OC is now 2565mhz..@1.8v

After a couple of days of running the system and testing I have become stable @ 2500mhz (At least 2hours of Prime "Small FFT's" )

So as you can see when it comes to OCing the A64 these three main components are more crucial than the motherboard:

1- Cpu
    2- Powersupply (By the way I'm using a PC Power & Cooling 510)
    3- Memory

Most of the popular motherboards, i.e. MSI Neo Plat, Gigabyte K8NS-Pro, Epox boards have less to do with the OC than the older NF2.. (That is with aircooled & watercooled anyway)

I have seen many A64 chips max out @ 2600mhz on the above motherboards with phase change cooling..

I would suggest that you do your homework and start simple and one by one test your system and find the limiting components...

If you obtain somewhere between 2300 -2500mhz with a Clawhammer you are most likely at your cpu's max OC... Unless your running 1:1 then your memory has to be factored in(or you have cheap memory)..

If you have a newcastle core then you can expect about 100 - 200mhz more overclock than the average clawhammer, but your performance is the same as the clawhammer...
    If you are using phase change cooling you are most likely better off with a Newcastle core because of the higher multi's...

I also want to remove my IHS but I'm not too fond of voiding my warranty... How hard/easy is it to screw up your CPU after removing the IHS?

mitchw

(No subject)
    « Reply #47 on: 05-July-04, 16:55:56 »

I just flashed with the 1.2C BIOS I downloaded from here - and no change to my temps.  :biggthumbsdown: :nooo:

BTW - when the computer boots, the POST readout reports the BIOS as 1.2B12, not 1.2C -- is that what you guys are seeing?

c3po

(No subject)
    « Reply #48 on: 05-July-04, 16:56:37 »

hmm just got the board and it workes fin by me...

just update to 12C bios

i can OC me 3400+ 2200 to 2550 np her...

i uset clockgen. to get multi 10.5 FSB 240 and HT at x3 workes fin

Deviation56

(No subject)
    « Reply #49 on: 05-July-04, 16:56:45 »

Originally posted by mitchw
    I just flashed with the 1.2C BIOS I downloaded from here - and no change to my temps.  :biggthumbsdown: :nooo:

BTW - when the computer boots, the POST readout reports the BIOS as 1.2B12, not 1.2C -- is that what you guys are seeing?

It's supposed to be 1.2B12

pieman109

(No subject)
    « Reply #50 on: 05-July-04, 17:36:31 »

One thing that might/might not be a factor is I'm using 3 x 256 pC3200 memory atm. I've got 2 x 256 OCZ PC3200 platinum and 1 x 256 Kingston PC3200 (bh5) installed atm. I'm showing single channel in cpu-z and with 2.7v Vdimm. I know these sticks will easily take 2.85v. Would I be better off just using the OCZ in dimm slots 1+2 or 1+3 or doesn't it matter at all what memory is installed provided the timings are near enuff the same.

As has been said, I might have hit the max overclock of me cpu though.

Jasonxxx

(No subject)
    « Reply #51 on: 05-July-04, 17:58:56 »

I have had the best results using 1&2 slots. I have not tried all three slots, but on a couple of reviews they mentioned that when they use all three dimm slots that there max OC was limited?

My board shipped with bios v1.1, I have found this the most stable for me, but I also have never had any problems with the temp reading with a CG Clawhammer.

2.85v should be fine....
    Use LDT 4 up to about 250htt and then use LDt 3
    Set AGP MHz to 67 in bios
    disable cool n quiet
    disable or set to manual the memory and overclock settings
    play with your memory timmings

Removing the IHS is not hard you just need to be very careful not bend the pins on cpu, and use a sharp razor and keep it parrallel with the pcb on the cpu( you don't want to dig into the pcb).. Don't cut too deep either, there is caps and resister sitting around cpu like the Bartons.. Don't worry you have plenty of room to cut, just keep in mind to not cut deeper than you have to.... If you are going to remove the IHS make sure you have either a Thermalright SLK-948U or a Swiftech 6400V heatsink if your aircooled.. As the stock heatsink willl not work once you remove your IHS..(It will not be able to touch it)..

I have unistalled and installed my heatsink twice now, since I removed my IHS and I don't see any damage at all.. I would suggest counting your turns or measuring the distance on both sides to make sure you as flat as possible on the core... don't go crazy and use straight nut and bolts, you increase your chances of crushing the core greatly... If you use the springs supplied with the heatsinks you and you keep it as close to flat as you can, I couldn't see you damaging your core...

rocketman2047

(No subject)
    « Reply #52 on: 05-July-04, 18:54:27 »

my nc 3200 o/c nicely at 2580 1.6v . on water

i keep it at 11x235 cuz i can run tighter ram timings 5/6

but eventually (when im playing a game that could use it and i dotn mind having to upgrade if it breaks)  im going to rip of the IHS off and start maxing my o/c would you

-mind posting some pics of your IHS casteration job?
    -what TIM did amd use to connect the core with IHS?
    - was it say harder to take off then the damn glued on backplate on the k8n??

noob64

• CORPORAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #53 on: 05-July-04, 19:10:39 »
  • Best Answer

• here is a link about removing the HS but beware it's german  ;-))

removing the HS
    FX 5900
    1 80GB Samung sata
    1 160GB Samsung sata
    Windows XP Pro Sp1
    Plextor 116A DVD
    NEC 1100A DVD
    Enermax 460 Watts

scoughlin

(No subject)
    « Reply #54 on: 05-July-04, 21:25:01 »

1.2c bios didn't fix the temps for me.  :biggthumbsdown:

hostile 17

(No subject)
    « Reply #55 on: 05-July-04, 21:39:44 »

Can anybody tell me if you have to enable the flash write control in the 1.1 BIOS for the K8N Neo? Or does it not have the option?

Also, to create the MS-DOS boot disk I need, do I just right click>format>create MS-DOS boot disk?

And is the flash utility needed the exe included in the extracted 1.2C folder?

Cheers fellas

noob64

• CORPORAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #56 on: 06-July-04, 01:19:32 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by hostile 17
    Can anybody tell me if you have to enable the flash write control in the 1.1 BIOS for the K8N Neo? Or does it not have the option?

Also, to create the MS-DOS boot disk I need, do I just right click>format>create MS-DOS boot disk?

And is the flash utility needed the exe included in the extracted 1.2C folder?

Cheers fellas

i don't have this option in the bios

yup right

yup but you can use the winflasher if you want.
    install liveupdate and you have a folder called "drive:\programs\msi\Live Update3\FlashUty\Award". use the flasher in the award folder "WinFlash.exe"
    FX 5900
    1 80GB Samung sata
    1 160GB Samsung sata
    Windows XP Pro Sp1
    Plextor 116A DVD
    NEC 1100A DVD
    Enermax 460 Watts

Jasonxxx

(No subject)
    « Reply #57 on: 06-July-04, 04:17:21 »

rocketman2047

(No subject)
    « Reply #58 on: 06-July-04, 05:07:16 »

Ich spreche deutsche nicht sehr gut!

thanks guys for the pics, with a clear picture of how its setup under the cover its easy to safely cut it.

FrankenBerrie

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #59 on: 06-July-04, 06:54:51 »
  • Best Answer

• Installed bios with no problems, OCing a little better but now my Powerlight also acts like my HD activity light... hahahah

If its not one thing its another.  :shocked_anim:
    Intel Q9550 • MSI P35 Platinum (bios 1.10) • OCZ DDR1066 8GB (2GBx4) • XFX 8800 Ultra • OCZ 700W • Vista Business x64

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #60 on: 06-July-04, 07:08:56 »

Is it a steady blink or does it really act like the HD light?

Tydyt

• STAFF SERGEANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #61 on: 06-July-04, 07:42:14 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by FrankenBerrie
    but now my Powerlight also acts like my HD activity light...
    I have same problem. ;-((
    :rolleyes: Core i7 2600K, MSI P67A-GD65, 4x2048 RAM A-Data 1600+, RAID 1 => 2x WDI BE 640GB, POV 580GTX, Creative SB X-Fi Gamer :rolleyes:

Deeez

(No subject)
    « Reply #62 on: 06-July-04, 07:55:51 »

Anyone else have there temps go back up to 60C again. Only worked for one day.

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #63 on: 06-July-04, 08:32:09 »

If your case light is flashing slow and steady it isn't something to do with Bios at all. That is a Power Supply overload warning. Basically it is saying that the power supply is to small.

hostile 17

(No subject)
    « Reply #64 on: 06-July-04, 08:35:51 »

I just flashed to 1.2C and my CPU temp is down to about 40C idle, my case temp is up to 51C! Also, the temperature probe that I put in the CPU heatsink has gone up 10 degrees to 40C.

:censored:

mitchw

BIOS 1.2C and CnQ
    « Reply #65 on: 06-July-04, 08:59:20 »

The new BIOS didn't fix my temps, but it did affect Cool n Quiet.

I've had CnQ disabled but I turned it on this morning and found that it now has a greater "range" - previously, it never dropped the multiplier below 9; now it can drop it to 5, so that when idling the CPU is running at 200x5 and 1.1 volts.

Under load it ramps up, of course.

I've also noticed that CPU-Z reacts much more quickly to changes in the multiplier and voltage than CoreCenter does.

hostile 17

(No subject)
    « Reply #66 on: 06-July-04, 09:03:05 »

My CPU fan is also refusing to spin at more than 1400 rpm, why?

Obviously why my heatsink temp went up. I've emailed the site that sold me this POS 3 times to return it and they're ignoring me.

scoughlin

(No subject)
    « Reply #67 on: 06-July-04, 09:09:58 »

Just last night the cpu temperature reading seemed to magically fix itself. Right after flashing to the 1.2c bios it did nothing at all but it appears to be fixed now. 34C idle cpu temp, but 38C case temp. So obviously the case temp reading is still messed up.

Tydyt

• STAFF SERGEANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #68 on: 06-July-04, 10:03:49 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by Tiresmoke
    If your case light is flashing slow and steady it isn't something to do with Bios at all. That is a Power Supply overload warning. Basically it is saying that the power supply is to small.
    But with bios 1.1 without problem.  :angryfire:
    :rolleyes: Core i7 2600K, MSI P67A-GD65, 4x2048 RAM A-Data 1600+, RAID 1 => 2x WDI BE 640GB, POV 580GTX, Creative SB X-Fi Gamer :rolleyes:

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #69 on: 06-July-04, 10:08:48 »

If a bios change caused the overflow you must have been critically borderline to begin with. A Bios change could cause a componant to work right and thus use the right amount of juice. However a Bios flash does not change your power supply specs. If it is doing a slow steady flash that is a power supply overload circut telling you that you have a problem.

Oh yes and read this thread please.

lichtje

RE: BIOS 1.2C and CnQ
    « Reply #70 on: 06-July-04, 10:15:56 »

I've had CnQ disabled but I turned it on this morning and found that it now has a greater "range" - previously, it never dropped the multiplier below 9; now it can drop it to 5, so that when idling the CPU is running at 200x5 and 1.1 volts.

I've also noticed that CPU-Z reacts much more quickly to changes in the multiplier and voltage than CoreCenter does.

Thats interesting, maybe time for me to flash 2! :)

FrankenBerrie

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #71 on: 06-July-04, 12:05:03 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by Tiresmoke

I am using a 550W power supply!!  It is not overloading.. This did not happen until I flashed the bios.  The only thing that is overloading is my nerves!!

Jasonxxx

(No subject)
    « Reply #72 on: 06-July-04, 12:43:24 »

What is your ambient room temps and case temps? Also, if your powersupply is 550watts, what do you have in your case? i.e. (how many hard drives, Optical drives, etc...)
    What 550watt powersupply do you have? I used to have an 460w Enermax and experienced problems with a Barton OC'ed to 2600mhz.. And the A64 at default clocks (depends on which cpu you have) requires about 15% more power than the default Barton core...When you OC the A64 if you have a weak powersupply you will find out....

The new 520watt OCZ powersupply shut down and showed problems at around 4400mhz on a prescott, which is about 2600-2700mhz on a clawhammer...The OCZ did well, but there are many powersupplies that could not even dream of that, even if they are rated at 500watts..

Some 350watt powersupplies will out perform a 500+ watt powersupply. The quality and how they test and rate the powersupply is what you need to know first...

moinerus

(No subject)
    « Reply #73 on: 06-July-04, 12:50:33 »

yep my cpu temps are back up again very strange.

moinerus

(No subject)
    « Reply #74 on: 06-July-04, 12:54:12 »

:censored: my temps are fixed only if i reset,  cold boot and there all high again this is screwed. can someone else try this to confirm.

yeh and my power light is still out.

Tiresmoke

(No subject)
    « Reply #75 on: 06-July-04, 12:59:44 »

Well guys this stuff should all be reported to MSI via their tech support e-mail along with all the details you can give them. I am sorry if it isn't an overload for giving poor advice but then again I have never heard of an occassion where a bios setting can make the case lights flash. So they need to know this directly and asap. I would also recommend not using the beta bios if that is one of the problems with it as it is hard to say what it is doing.

Keep in mind also that MSI does not read this forum directly so please email them the details so they know about it or they may not hear it at all.

WannaFly

(No subject)
    « Reply #76 on: 06-July-04, 13:55:39 »

I sent several email to MSI support team.

And they never ever reply one!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

The big problem i am getting is the board cant cold boot over 232FSB,whatever ram setting , multi setting,or volt setting. :angryfire: :angryfire:

DAMN!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire:

BlackHearted

(No subject)
    « Reply #77 on: 06-July-04, 15:15:15 »

Hrmmm,

I posted earlier about losing a case fan after i flashed to this bios. And under load the power LED on my case turn off. Specifically, when im in farcry and and things get hot and heavy i lose the case fan & the power LED. Ordered a new PSU and will see if that remedies this situation, currently using when the light fails:

3200+ Newcastle (Vcore @1.55V)
    Zalman 70000Cu
    512MB Kingston HyperX PC4000 (3-4-4-8-1T @ 2.6V)
    Sapphire 9600Pro 128 (Auto AGP in Bios, 4x AGP & VPU Recov disabled in ATI)
    160gb ATA133 HD
    Audigy 2zs
    1 CDRW Drive
    1 Case Fan
    Antec True380 (12v, 18a)

And yup, my old temps are back! 51C at idle as opposed to 40C right after the BIOS flash.

I emailed all issues to MSI, no response here either.

FrankenBerrie

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #78 on: 06-July-04, 15:45:39 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by Jasonxxx
    What is your ambient room temps and case temps? Also, if your powersupply is 550watts, what do you have in your case? i.e. (how many hard drives, Optical drives, etc...)
    What 550watt powersupply do you have? I used to have an 460w Enermax and experienced problems with a Barton OC'ed to 2600mhz.. And the A64 at default clocks (depends on which cpu you have) requires about 15% more power than the default Barton core...When you OC the A64 if you have a weak powersupply you will find out....

The new 520watt OCZ powersupply shut down and showed problems at around 4400mhz on a prescott, which is about 2600-2700mhz on a clawhammer...The OCZ did well, but there are many powersupplies that could not even dream of that, even if they are rated at 500watts..

Some 350watt powersupplies will out perform a 500+ watt powersupply. The quality and how they test and rate the powersupply is what you need to know first...

My room temp is a steady 70F.  My powersupply is a Antec TruePower 550-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply.  I just pulled out that powersupply and inserted a Thermaltake 480w and the same problem! MY SYSTEM:

No overclocking!  
    AMD 64 3200+ Retail Fan
    MSI K8N Plat 1.2C bios
    ATi Radeon 9800XT 256mb (AGP Slot)
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 (PCI Slot #3)
    2 WD Raptors Raid mode (SATA)
    1 Plextor CDRW
    1 Plextor DVD 708A
    Antec TruePower 550-Watt  
    My system is running on a APC 1400
    What else can I tell you, My system only uses tampons,
    my carpet is brown........ :)

moinerus

(No subject)
    « Reply #79 on: 06-July-04, 16:21:08 »

give thema chance guys some times they take a while but 7/9 of the emails i have seen have been replyed (latest took a week). think of all the problems they gotaa fix

Firelord

(No subject)
    « Reply #80 on: 06-July-04, 16:45:02 »

This BIOS is terible!
    Now clockgen doesn't work cos onboot it reads my FSB as 9mhz! Temps are the same. Nic now doesn't pick up DHCP now and refuses to connect to network!

Talk about buggy! Reflashed back to 1.1 and problems remain!

[SuPeRmAn]

(No subject)
    « Reply #81 on: 06-July-04, 20:05:26 »

flashed it.... no difference whatsoever...

a word to MSI:

FIX THE REAL PROBLEMS! false temperatures are the least... we want better ram compatibility, more cpu stability and if possible, more vdimm voltage and vdd voltage control! THESE are issues

cheers

mitchw

RE: BIOS 1.2C and CnQ
    « Reply #82 on: 06-July-04, 20:24:41 »

Originally posted by lichtje

Thats interesting, maybe time for me to flash 2! :)

I didn't mention it before because I assumed it was obvious, but while my temps remain too high when the CPU is running at "full speed" (i.e., 200x11 and 1.5 volts), when CnQ slows it down, the temps of course do decrease.

Right now, for example, the CPU is running at 201x5 = 1005 Mhz and the CPU temp (according to CoreCenter) is 47C.  (MBM says it's 43C but CoreCenter is always a few degrees higher than MBM.)

Another interesting measurement:  in MBM, I have temp sensor 3 set to Winbond 3 and it currently reads -1C (yes that's one degree below 0C).   This is just a wild guess, but I think that's probably inaccurate.  :-P)  (Before flashing, that sensor usually read about the same as the system temp; now the system temp is 34C while sensor 3 is -1C.)

If I change Sensor 3 from Winbond 3 to one of the other variants of Winbond 3 (including Winbond 3 Diode), the temp changes to 127 degrees C, which I also think is probably inaccurate.   :bonk:

I think I may just stop paying attention to the temperature readings until MSI gets the bugs out of the BIOS.

Metaltronix1

(No subject)
    « Reply #83 on: 06-July-04, 22:28:57 »

Hey everyone, I flashed the 1.2c bios and ended up with the power light flickering,also when you check Aida32 the vcore is 2.74 volts . volts go up and down , so i flashed it back to 1.1 .  I'm still getting the studdering that everyone is getting when playing online games(UT2K4) . I hope MSI will fix it .

moinerus

(No subject)
    « Reply #84 on: 07-July-04, 01:49:16 »

Stupid quote dosnt work any here my converse with MSI so far

ME3:

The power light was working fine(checked by flashing back to official BIOS 1.1) until I flashed to BIOS (2A10) after the flash it seams to go out when the system is under heavy load i.e.(playing games, running synthetic benchmarks) or after half an hour of low use. The same problem persists with the latest BIOS  2B12. Also I thought my CPU temperature misread problems were fixed but, after a cold boot I still get high temps(57-70), a reset changes these temps to normal again(37-49).

A link to other peoples experiences with 1.12c: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threadid=53895&sid=&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

Here are some system specs:

Using latest Nforce, Athlon 64, ATI(omega)drivers.

Winxp pro updated using Windows Update

Athlon 64 2800 Newcastle(CO stepping) @260x9 - 1.6V w/Zalman 7000A-Ca
    MSI K8N Platinum nFore3 250
    1G (512x2) Corsair XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX(166mem div (3-3-3-7-1T))
    power color 9800(softmod+oc(425/371)w/VGA silancer & TweakMonster RAM sinks
    Maxtor DimondMax Plus9 SATA 200Gb
    iiyama vm 17"
    Logitc cordless optical desktop
    creative 5.1 spek
    Enermax 365-VE(FMA)(3.3V@32A/5V@32A/12V@26A)
    Beantech Igloo 3 w/window

If you need any other info I will provide.

MSI2:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    Thank you for contacting MSI Technical Support.

We can't see the same symptom at our side. There is no problem with our power light with the latest BIOS W7030NMS.12C. Could you please change another case to check the power light again? If you make sure the power light itself is ok, please tell us the detailed system equipment and the driver version , and please tell us how did you see this symptom, which will help us duplicate this issue and analyse it.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

MSI Technical Support

ME2:
    Still have the problem with the power light, but my CPU temperatures are now correct. thanks

MSI1:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting MSI Technical Support.

There are the new BIOS(W7030NMS.12C) and BIOS flash utility(AWFL833D) in the attachment .Please try attached BIOS then check it again.

Thanks for your supporting MSI product. Please feel free to let us know if you still have any further issues or inquires.

Best regards,

MSI Technical Support

ME1:

Hi Iv’e just flashed to the beta bios 2A10 and noticed my power light is off.  Several other users are also experiencing this problem (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threadid=53612&sid=). Just letting you guys know.)

Metaltronix1

(No subject)
    « Reply #85 on: 07-July-04, 01:52:05 »

What are you Getting?

[SuPeRmAn]

(No subject)
    « Reply #86 on: 07-July-04, 05:35:17 »

another issue: after i play ut2k4, i have a blue screen about memory dumping. even with default settings
    Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up