Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Single SATA or Multiple Drive Array Setup FAQ  (Read 67540 times)

Galahad-fr

(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: 13-August-04, 14:24:18 »

already tried that a dozen of times ... both or one or the other .. I tried everything possible !

To think, I've also added the drivers to the windows cd, modifying some files and adding the *.sys files ..  I had to use a tut but, Isucceeded but Windows could not install anyway..
« Last Edit: 13-August-04, 14:27:49 by Galahad-fr »

empgdca

(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: 13-August-04, 14:31:01 »

Galahad, you may want to look at the edit to my previous post, which tells you how to extract the WinXP IDE drivers from the NVidia set.  I know these worked.

Note: I did not have SATA DMA enabled.  I think it unlikely that this would make a difference, but it might be worth trying.

However, it does sound like the problem may be in the Windows setup routine.  How far does it get before it fails?  Do you get to the "press F8 to accept the licence" or not?

David

Galahad-fr

(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: 13-August-04, 14:45:17 »

Ok I'll try a create another driver disk the way you have suggested it .. before,in bios v1.1 , the sata dma was not there, yet since in 1.3 I tthink I've tried both..

if the setup rebotts byi itself, I cant even see the F8 thing .. but if I only specify the first driver, I see it but I see 2drives instead of one ..

empgdca

(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: 13-August-04, 15:33:13 »

It sounds very frustrating.

If the NVidia drivers don't work, then I'm not sure I have any better suggestions.

It might be worth doing a "load optimised defaults" in BIOS and resetting the Hard Disk settings.   You could also try various other things, which have been discussed in this forum, such as unplugging all your USB devices or increasing the core voltages slightly.  However, I'm not sure these will assist with your problem.

It may also be worth trying to fully format / reformat the RAID array using a dos based partitioning / formatting tool (as long as you can get the RAID array to be seen by it).  I have experienced multiple reboots previously and I think this was caused either by a bad boot sector or by Windows not recognising the physical disk arrangement properly.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

David

Galahad-fr

(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: 13-August-04, 15:57:37 »

thx very much :
I used Partitio Magic, I have receated the array several times and olugged out all usb devices .. I tried this all ! no way to get it work !!

np ! I'll RMA the mobo I guess
is it the way u say it, what does RMA stand for  ?
let me have a guees, request manufacturer assistance ?
resend mobo away ? lol

c ya

empgdca

(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: 13-August-04, 18:21:21 »

Hi Galahad,

Sorry to hear that, but if it isn't working, then you may have no choice.

I laughed at your definitions of RMA.

RMA = Return Materials Authorization.  It is frequently used to refer to any returned product, whether authorized or not, but in the case of computer kit you usually need to get an RMA number authorised by the seller before you can send it back.

Cheers,
David

Galahad-fr

(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: 13-August-04, 20:34:30 »

thx !! :) the mobo will be on its way very soon !
thx again

Cannyone

• Easy OC
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: 14-August-04, 02:23:52 »

rsheppick thanks for the info!  am about to rebuild with this board and I would have placed my 2 SATAs on channels 1 & 2.
Eagles may Soar! But Weasels don't worry about being sucked into get engines!!  :)

horspowr1001

(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: 15-August-04, 00:10:59 »

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the info rsheppick! :biggthumbsup:

I want to have 2 WD 120 SATA hd w/ RAID 0 (media drive) and a 36GB Raptor (Boot/OS/APPS drive) configuration. I was just wondering if this was possible. Can i raid the two 120's and have the raptor still connected to SATA as a free drive? If so cananyone tell me how to config this? ???-)

Edit: :idea:From what ive read so far it seems that I have the ability to enable RAID individually for each header on the mobo. Therefore, would I connect all the drives and enable RAID on the headers that the 120's are connected to and disable on the rest?

Thanks! :-))
« Last Edit: 15-August-04, 01:53:14 by horspowr1001 »

opeer

(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: 15-August-04, 08:26:42 »

Ok, I am about to give up on this board.  I have followed rsheppick's guide for a single SATA drive.  I have changed to every single possible SATA connector to no avail.  Anytime I try to install XP Home w/ the floppy provided drivers it gets to "Setup is Starting Windows", and then just reboots.  If I reset the system to "Optimized Defaults" and just try to install, XP goes through all the steps without a hitch, but after going through the initial GUI of setting timezone, naming comp, and it reboots, the system will begin starting XP, and then just reboot.  

Any suggestions at this point?

System:
A64 3000+
K8N Neo Plat
Samsung 120gb SATA
Radeon 9600XT
Samsung CD/DVD IDE drive

Galahad-fr

I have given up already !
« Reply #60 on: 15-August-04, 12:15:56 »

2 SATA drives .. no way to set up WinXP ..
-> RMA ...

Cannyone

• Easy OC
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: 16-August-04, 00:58:10 »

Guys think about this for a sec.  No flavor of Windows yet has native support for SATA.  So even if you are not installing SATA drives in a RAID array, you should install some drivers, via F6, so that these drives are properly recognized.  There are reports of SATA controllers 1&2 not being properly recognized during installation and when one overclocks past a bus speed of 230MHz.  But after listening to you people I wonder that people just don't understand the principle here.  :noidea:  BIOS may be able to initially make ports 3&4 appear as regular IDE channels so that install works.  But that doesn't mean that drivers should NOT be loaded. :nono:

SATA is very much like the extra RAID controllers that manufacturers have been putting on motherboards for years.  Matter of fact every system I've built for myself in the past 6 years has had a RAID0 array.  That's been about 10 different computers.  (Though I have build custom computers for people for a living for the last 4 years, and have literally built hundreds of computers.)  This current system is the first one to not have RAID0.  But There ARE drivers on that floppy disk for setups without RAID.  Now why would Nvidia and MSI put those drivers on that disk if they had no purpose?

You may say that you can load those drivers up later.  And my response would be that you are probably mistaken!:bigthumbsdown:  These are not the same as the "software IDE" drivers that load with the chipset drivers.  It's very likely that these are just like RAID drivers.  You have to load them for a bootable array (or in this case to boot to a single SATA drive) and you can't change them after Win2K/XP is loaded.  Windows won't let you alter them in any way.

In the end, you don't have to listen to either myself, or rsheppick, I don't really care.  Follow the "Guide" and SATA will work.  Or don't follow the guide but shut up and don't contribute your confusion to the matter.  On almost any other forums this thread would be sticky'd and locked so some of you couldn't insert lame posts.
Eagles may Soar! But Weasels don't worry about being sucked into get engines!!  :)

opeer

(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: 16-August-04, 02:44:36 »

UPDATE:  Exchanged the samsung harddrive for a Maxtor.  Used Maxtor's utilities to format the drive.  Installed Windows like a normal system, no F6, and everything to this point seems to be working.

Schutze Wulf

hello Cannyone
« Reply #63 on: 16-August-04, 03:19:04 »

Hey Cannyone,
Sorry if i confused the issue of raid drivers if ur reply was directed at me. I was just agreeing to calculusarus's comment that u dont have to install drivers to get windows to install on single sata drive. I tried installing several times to set up raid function according to rsheppick's instructions but no go . Emailed MSI support for possible solution they said to try different drivers well i tried the other drivers but got message saying couldnt find the executable. Well my question is why doesnt the original drivers sent in box dont work? Sorry for the confusion but im a newb to this raid business and thought that i would give it a try so far no go and willing to try again in foreseable future. I assume that the problem is on my end in setting up bios settings and such one day i will hit the right keys:-D) and have success.

Cannyone

• Easy OC
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: 16-August-04, 10:05:02 »

Schutze Wulf I was not directing my comments at you in particular.  And I don't understand why the drivers on that floppy don't seem to work for you.  What I do know is that rsheppick's instructions did work for me.  And it makes sense to me that this would be the proper proceedure.

When I first set this board up I made no changes to BIOS that might affect the SATA system.  If I remember correctly, I changed the time by a few hours and set it to intialize the AGP system first.  I even forgot to disable the on-board audio until after I installed Windows.  I did however enter BIOS on the first reboot of the Windows Installation and double checked the "Boot Priority" settings.  I didn't even have to change those settings.

Because I read rsheppick's guide I knew to install my drives on ports 3&4, and I knew to use the floppy to install "non RAID" drivers. 8-))  I'm not installing RAID this time because I've come to the point where I'm not sure it's worth it.  I think you might see a moderate increase in HDD performance but CPU utilization will in fact increase.  And HDD performance will only increase for certain operations, specifically high volume sequential file reads and writes.  But that's not really the way I use my computer.  Reading and Writing a few small files (less than 8k) at a time isn't going to be any faster than a regular drive. :biggthumbsdown:

Rafterman

• Platinum
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: 17-August-04, 01:51:05 »

I had concerns about this(setting up a single SATA drive) from the first time I installed WinXp. The first time I did not load the Nvidia Storage Controller(f6) and ended up with 3 Primary IDE channels, 3 Secondary and 2 dual(I think), i.e. using the native windows controllers. Anyway my sata drive had an avg read speed of 65MB/s. The second time I did use the F6 method. I now have 3 entries(under ide/ata/atapi controllors) one NVidia CK8S Parallel ATA Controller and two NVidia CK8S Serial ATAController's. The main difference is the nvidia controller has a speed test you can run in device manager. Having tested the speed of my drive again the avg read is 63.8 using this method. The burst speed was also higher using the native windows controllors but not by much. So I think its a matter of choice. This was done for a single sata drive. So my conclusion is that it does not make that much difference when setting up a single sata drive whether you load the nvidia controller(F6) at installation or not.

One thing I did notice was although the burst speed and avg read speed of the sata drive was near enough the same the graph showing the burst speed when I loaded the nvidia storage controller was much more even, ranging from 55mb/s to 73mb/s whereas the reading when using the native windows ide controller the burst speed graph showed a lot of spikes droping to as low as 15mb/s and going as high as 73 mb/s although the avg read was very similar. I tested the drives speed using HDTACH.
« Last Edit: 17-August-04, 02:21:46 by Rafterman »
Coolermaster Wavemaster
EVGA nforce 780i
Intel QC 9450
Zalman CNPS9700NT
6GB Crucial DDR2
2 x WD Raptor 74GB - Raid
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250GB
MSI GeForce GTX 470 Twin Frozr II
EVGA 9800GTX+(PhysX)
BenQ DVD Writer
X-Fi Xtreme Music Sound Card
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Spks
PC Power+Cooling,Silencer 750W

sandoz

switching back to non-RAID?
« Reply #66 on: 18-August-04, 04:44:11 »

Hey everyone,
I have a single SATA and another IDE drive installed.  I followed the instructions and it all worked fine.  I did notice in an earlier post that someone had mentioned you could switch off the RAID after installation - is this correct?  Are there any advantages/disadvantages/risks to this? And to do this, do I just go into the BIOS and disable RAID?
Thanks

.FD.

(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: 23-August-04, 13:23:34 »

Hello all, I posted this in the mobo section but it may be relevant to this thread so if anyone could shed light on this situation then please do. My specs are:

K8N Neo2 Platinum
FX-53
1GB Corsair XMSPro PC4000 ddr ram
1 X WD Raptor 74Gb
1 X 300gig Maxtor MaxLine III
Antec NeoPower 480w PSU

When I power up my rig it has a problem when detecting the Raid arrays, I have installed XP on the raptor and hooked up the maxline but 8 times out of 10 it will just sit at "detecting arrays", I have to keep pushing reset until eventually it will detect the drives straight away and continue to boot, whether it actually does boot or not is a different matter however as it regularly freezes just as the xp logo comes up. I reckon that I get the system to boot maybe 1 out of every 25 times I try which is not good to say the least.

To make matters more mysterious I have tried to boot from floppy MaxBlast 3 and also Powermax to diagnose the drives, the system will freeze just after "starting Caldera Dos", there are no problems with any other dos based programs which is infuriating as it's this one I need to check the bloody drives !

Just to clear matters up I have disconnected everything from the board except the drives and it's the same, I have also tried each drive just connected on it's own and it's the same.

Is this a bios problem ? Would trying a beta bios fix this ? Also I have since set up xp on the raptor by having the Raid disabled on both the drives so they are treated as independant SATA's, problem is that this has made my nvidia network connection dissappear, also getting win32.sys and ntfs.sys errors every now & then. Setting the drives up like this has not made the freezing prob go away it just hangs at the post display after reading the memory rather than at the boot or raid detect screens.

HELP !!! :(

Cannyone

• Easy OC
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: 23-August-04, 16:13:24 »

.FD. I would get ahold of MSI and get the latest BIOS from them.  If that doesn't "fix" these problems I would consider exchanging the board.  But keep in mind, the Neo2 is a brand new board and things might be flaky for bit.  (Saying that I can feel your frustration!)  :shocked:

Oh BTW ":snr:" dude!   ;-))

Opie

(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: 23-August-04, 19:50:39 »

I have 2 raptors in a raid 0 on sata 1/2. About every other boot the NVRAID service has an error and has to shutdown on I get to desktop. This does nothing to overall performace - I can still play games, etc - but is very troubling.

I'm using the 1.1 bios & the latest nforce drivers off of the MSI site - 5.02 I think.

Has anyone else experienced this?

kweckstrom

(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: 24-August-04, 01:43:28 »

Mine did that when I didn't have drivers installed for all my USB devices during the build process. After doing that, it stopped happening.

Bigger problem though... I also have 2x 74GB Raptors in Raid0 striped via the nvidia controller. I have both this and the newest Gigabyte 939 nforce3. On the MSI board, RAID0 performance with the dual raptors is half of what it is on the Gigabyte.

I've also tested them on a P4C800-E asus board (P4). Scores are as follows in Sandra:

P4 ICHR5: 101MB/sec
Gigabyte 939 NF3: 106MB/sec
MSI 939 NF3: 57MB/sec

HDTach confirms that something's wrong with the MSI board's SATA. It's behaving worse than a single drive.

Install was done via the "F6" install, and I tried 3 sets of drivers. One from the website (MSI), the newest from Nvidia and the ones on CD (which are a rev  older). All 3 behave identically on the MSI.

Is this a known issue?

Cannyone

• Easy OC
(No subject)
« Reply #71 on: 25-August-04, 18:24:02 »

Well I have 2 plain Jane WD 120GB SATA drives, that I have now setup as a RAID0 Array.  I did a quick test with SP2 of 2004 Sandra and my score was 62MB/s.  Now this is less than what I've got with these same drives on my previous board that used an Silicon Image 3112 RAID Controller (that setup scored 72MB/s - with a 16k stripe size).   However this new setup is using an 8k Stripe size, which gives me 4k per drive and matches NTFS standard cluster size.  Part of the reason for a decrease in performance for me is that this benchmark favors a larger stipe size.  I'm guessing around 64k is what Sandra prefers, but that would be a waste for me.  

I installed drivers for this via "F6", but observed that the WinXP was still able to detect the individual drives at that point.  Mind you I was not using this as a bootable array.  But it wasn't until after I installed the chipset drivers that the array was recognized.  Because of this I suspect that the "RAID" implementation on the K8N Neo Platinum is just software.  Where all my previous setups used a discreat chip to control RAID.  This would also explain the decrease in performance.  I know if I had Raptor drives I would not be using the RAID on this board.   :biggthumbsdown:

kweckstrom

(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: 25-August-04, 18:32:21 »

Nah, that doesn't explain it.

This board AND the Gigabyte use the same implementation for RAID. They both use the nvidia PHY.

Some people are using Ports 3&4 and getting what they should be with RAID0. I simply am not, I might have a bad board.

Cannyone

• Easy OC
(No subject)
« Reply #73 on: 26-August-04, 00:00:41 »

kweckstrom You should try one thing first.  In Device Manager locate your "NVidia Stripe" and select properties, then under the SCSI properties tab select "Disable Tagged Queuing" and "Disable Synchronis Transfers".  Both of those are things used by SCSI drives that will slow the performance of your SATA drives down.

Astromarine

(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: 26-August-04, 00:21:32 »

First post here. I wanted to point out a problem I had with the Motherboard, but that is fixed. Maybe it's a newbie mistake, but I honestly thought I was doing OK :) I have 2 WD SATA Raptors, but I could not see the RAID controller, could not even see the prompt to press F10. The reason for this was that I had turned off the IDE chennels in the BIOS. Maybe idiotic, but the reasoning was that since I wasn't using the ATA controllers, just SATA disks, I wouldn't need the normal IDE channels. In case anyone having problems thought like me, well then, now you know :)

Opie

(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: 26-August-04, 00:22:16 »

kweckstrom, enable SATA DMA in the bios. Its disabled by default and your transfer rates will soar.

Also, please detail what you meant by fixing the nvraid service error by "installing all your USB devices." I've done so and I'm still getting the error. I'd love to get this fixed.

PorkchopExpress

(No subject)
« Reply #76 on: 26-August-04, 03:06:21 »

Originally posted by ninjastyle
:censored:?

I have heard from many many sources and reviews that no drivers / floppy disc is required for installing a single SATA drive. So who's correct? Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thing right now, but I understand that this guide is saying those reviews
and the people who didn't need no SATA drivers for a single HDD are wrong.

Not sure you've had this question answered, as I haven't read the entire thread (I read most of it).

You DO NOT need to install NVIDIA drivers to boot from a single SATA drive. I will explain the reason for this.

The reason why it is not necesary to install a specific IDE driver for a device attached to a standard IDE controller (attached to a standard legacy controller) is because the controllers on a motherboard will respond to the same major commands (all within what is called a disign spec). This so you can have IDE controllers from VIA, SiS, Intel, Nvidia, and all the other 100's of venders and not have to install separate drivers for each.

How is SATA affected by this? Well, it was designed to run in LEGACY mode, where it emulates another basic IDE controller.

IE, you don't have to install the Nforce drivers to get IDE functionality from your SATA controller. With the RAID controller disabled, they are effectively no different from PATA (I am not saying that the firmware used is the same). However, you CAN sometimes see better performance from using the manufactures specific driver, as they might use certain commands unique to the manufacture.

Example- manufacture 'A' might have found a better way to use Dynamic memory addressing than the current "standards" allow. So they implement these changes into their chipset. With the 'in-box' drivers (in-box drivers refer to the drivers included in the operating system) this implementation will not be used. The change will only be recognized with the new driver.

It gets more complicated when you add RAID to the equation. You have the same basic characteristics whether it is a SCSI raid controller, IDE raid controller, and SATA raid controller. They use the same basic commands in their drivers (in the NT line of OS's, they also use the same storage stack. However, the driver is more complicated than the IDE controller as there are many more commands used (you have to communicate with the RAID controller via device driver). This means each device has to have it's own device driver (especially since most manufactures use commands that are unique and sometimes out of spec to other controllers).

This was an in-depth explanation of a basic design. This isn't to say that the original advice to install the nvidia drivers wasn't correct. You just don't NEED to do it when you have a single harddrive setup as a single booting device.

kweckstrom

(No subject)
« Reply #77 on: 26-August-04, 04:36:58 »

Originally posted by Opie
kweckstrom, enable SATA DMA in the bios. Its disabled by default and your transfer rates will soar.

Also, please detail what you meant by fixing the nvraid service error by "installing all your USB devices." I've done so and I'm still getting the error. I'd love to get this fixed.

It's pretty much exactly what I said.... I saw that nvraid service crash on startup (but it didn't seem to affect anything). The crashing simply stopped after I installed all my USB devices.

I'm not saying that has something to do with it, in fact it's completely coincidental in all likelyhood. That's just when it decided to stop crashing :)

kweckstrom

(No subject)
« Reply #78 on: 26-August-04, 04:37:55 »

Originally posted by Opie

Oh yeah, the DMA thing fixed it :)

I'm wondering why they'd even include that setting. Just enable it and don't even put the option there. I can't think of a reason where ANYONE would want SATA without DMA :)

Klaasman

(No subject)
« Reply #79 on: 04-September-04, 04:40:35 »

I've installed XP a couple dozen times now on a motherboard with the Nforce 3 chipset and a single SATA drive and have never had to load any drivers during install.

scorpion15

you helped me a lot
« Reply #80 on: 10-September-04, 12:47:15 »

god bless you!

Levish

(No subject)
« Reply #81 on: 10-September-04, 18:40:09 »

Thank you!

I was ready to RMA my board and get something else

DougMac

Update Driver question
« Reply #82 on: 16-September-04, 16:33:03 »

Steve on another thread solved his problem by using updated drivers.  I loaded the drivers from the floppy that came with the mobo.  I can configure the array fine and it reports as healthy on boot.  The problem is that XP can't see the array when you go to disk manager.

Is there a way that I can update the drivers without having to reload XP?

Thanks,
Doug
K8N Neo2 Platinum
Athlon 3500+ Stock Heatsink
Antec Performance SL400 PSU (+5V/38A, +3.3V/28A, +12V/20A)
2*512MB Kingston PC2700 (333)
Matrox G550
2*Hitachi 160GB SATA, 7200/8MB Cache
2*Hitachi 1600GB ATA133, 7200/8MB Cache
Plextor DVD/CD R/W
Plextor CD-RW 52/32/52 Premium
Win XP Pro, SP1a

empgdca

RE: Update Driver question
« Reply #83 on: 16-September-04, 21:47:33 »

DougMac,

As others have said, it's not absolutely necessary to update drivers if you're not using RAID.  However, if you do want to, one pretty sure way to update them within Windows is to do it direct from the device manager.  However, you have to know which device it is that you want to update.

Go to Control Panel, choose System, then choose the Hardware tab, and click on the Devices button.

This will bring up a list of devices.  My RAID card is under the SCSI and RAID controllers section.  If you double click on this, one of the tabs will be called "Driver" and from there you can choose "Update Driver".

Of course you also have to have downloaded the updated driver from somewhere and know where to point the update programme.

Cheers,
David

DougMac

Thanks for the info
« Reply #84 on: 16-September-04, 21:54:46 »

To all who have responded,

Thanks.  I should have thought of going to the devices, just wasn't thinking.  I'll try that.

Doug

DougMac

Success!
« Reply #85 on: 20-September-04, 14:45:12 »

I installed the latest (5.1) nVidia drivers last night by letting the auto install do its thing.  After rebooting, I went to disk manager and the Initialize and Convert Disk Wizard popped up just like it should.  After stepping through the wizard, then allocating and formatting the space, I have a fully functioning RAID 1 array!

Thanks to all who offered help and were patient with me.  It turns out I'm not stupid (well, perhaps) and that I had followed instructions and done everything correctly, I just didn't have the right version of the drivers.  That's OK because the right drivers weren't released until Friday!

The only remaining issue I have is a conflict between the Neo2 Platinum and the Matrox G550 video card.  I'm RMA'ing the card.  Newegg has shipped me an MSI nVidia based card.  I better not have conflicts!

Thanks,
Doug
K8N Neo2 Platinum
Athlon 3500+ Stock Heatsink
Antec Performance SL400 PSU (+5V/38A, +3.3V/28A, +12V/20A)
2*512MB Kingston PC2700 (333)
Matrox G550
2*Hitachi 160GB SATA, 7200/8MB Cache
2*Hitachi 1600GB ATA133, 7200/8MB Cache
Plextor DVD/CD R/W
Plextor CD-RW 52/32/52 Premium
Win XP Pro, SP1a

Supershanks

• Xpower
  • Manchester U.K. Help us help U post specs.
(No subject)
« Reply #86 on: 20-September-04, 16:52:18 »

deleted - moved
« Last Edit: 20-September-04, 19:14:11 by Supershanks »

split

• Platinum
(No subject)
« Reply #87 on: 20-September-04, 17:33:19 »

I can see your point on a sticky, but note post in this thread by micgla

I had the exact same problem, I also quit using Raid on my 2 - 74 gb. serial drives. I then reinstalled os and used the XP os to find its own drivers. Works good now.

Hope this helps. Don't use the drivers

Really needs an MSI tech to sort this out, as what works for some doesn't for others  :bonk:
OCZ PowerStream 520w
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Beta BIOS
AMD Athlon FX53
Zalman CNPS7000B
OCZ PC3700 2x512
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
2 X Western Digital SE 120 GIG
LiteOn SOHW-832S
etc etc

Supershanks

• Xpower
  • Manchester U.K. Help us help U post specs.
(No subject)
« Reply #88 on: 20-September-04, 19:04:51 »

deleted - moved
« Last Edit: 20-September-04, 19:13:04 by Supershanks »

Odranoel1

(No subject)
« Reply #89 on: 21-September-04, 00:16:42 »

Thanks to all gurus who posted here. I got my RAID array working fine by following the FAQ. :worship:
Did somebody figure out the reason for the crash of "nvraidservice.exe" ? I keep getting that just after signon, but it doesnt seem to affect the computer at all.

kraggy

(No subject)
« Reply #90 on: 21-September-04, 19:27:39 »

Originally posted by Odranoel1
Thanks to all gurus who posted here. I got my RAID array working fine by following the FAQ. :worship:
Did somebody figure out the reason for the crash of "nvraidservice.exe" ? I keep getting that just after signon, but it doesnt seem to affect the computer at all.

Yes, PLEASE! I would like to get the nvraidservice.exe error problem solved too. Its driving me crazy!!

I have a 16k Raptor 2x74gig Strip on my Neo2 Plat! Any help on getting the above mentioned error fixed would be greatly apprecieated!!! :biggthumbsup:

Odranoel1

Installing two SATA drives and no RAID
« Reply #91 on: 21-September-04, 21:49:36 »

Another one for the gurus!

I have undone my striping array (unequal capacity disks = lost capacity :-(() and reinstalled from scratch.

I have the first Raptor running fine as a single drive stripe. Windows installed OK. :-D)

Whenever I connect the other Raptor, I am no longer able to boot into windows.
I suspect it has to do with the "previous life" of this disk as a member of a RAID array.
Is there a way to make the system ignore it at boot? I would then format it from Windows or something?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

falcon 2000

(No subject)
« Reply #92 on: 23-September-04, 15:54:09 »

HELP !!!!!

Hi guys,

First post for me here, I've been reading a lot about RAID 0,

I am having a strange problem!

Everything works fine to install winxp until the array is formated in NTFS and then i then system says can't copy file nvatabus.sys or any other file on the floppy disk.

The files are there but he keeps reporting it!!! I changed the floppy disk with another one and same stuff even with latest drivers!!!!

I am getting nuts!

If i ignore those files system hangs  :bonk:
« Last Edit: 23-September-04, 16:17:42 by falcon 2000 »

falcon 2000

(No subject)
« Reply #93 on: 23-September-04, 16:24:37 »

are you guys able to see the SATA drives into the bios under standard CMOS features?

Toolz

(No subject)
« Reply #94 on: 24-September-04, 03:32:24 »

SATA and Bootdisks - K7N2 Delta-ILSR

can any of you answer this thread for me as
i cant seem to get a Straight answer and you guys
seem to know your stuff

Thanks

Toolz

P.S
im in need of an answer as the drive is on order and i may be able to
change it before it is dispatched if needed

OafyC

(No subject)
« Reply #95 on: 24-September-04, 03:57:41 »

Maybe a dumb question but what is the advantage of raid when you are only using a single drive?

matchload

Raid problem
« Reply #96 on: 24-September-04, 04:19:11 »

If I set the bios to enable raid, then reboot, the machine just hangs at detecting array for hours and hours. What is the dealy? I am fed the hell up! I originally installed XP with raid disabled. I saw after install that only the installed drive was recognized in my computer. The other drive was notthere and all connections were good for the hardware. I did that first install on #1 and #2 SATA slots on the board. I have two WD Raptors. The jumpers are still at factory setting. I have 2 x 512 Kingston HyperX pc3200 that worked fine after that first install. The weird thing is that after that first non raid install, the computer would take a few minutes on the windows boot screen before it booted up. I have an OCZ 520 watt powerstream PSU. An Antec Lanboy with the front USB wires unhooked. My Neo2 Platinum is giving me a hard time here. I have built a few rigs in the past but nothing in the last 2 years. I never did a Raid Array but I am no moron. I followed the instructions for setting up Raid with the Raptors. Help me out!.
« Last Edit: 25-September-04, 06:51:28 by matchload »

Toolz

(No subject)
« Reply #97 on: 25-September-04, 06:45:23 »

Out of intrest can you boot a pc with a single SATA
drive with a Win98se boot floppy or win98se cd-rom
and access it ?

Toolz

rpb_apache

(No subject)
« Reply #98 on: 26-September-04, 03:34:35 »

Please post yours HDtach access time
My is too high 26 ms on maxtor plus 9 sata single drive

adamzetec

(No subject)
« Reply #99 on: 01-October-04, 21:23:09 »

I was about to RMA my board but stumbled accross this, worked the very first time and windows was installed. Installed the NF3 drivers and 9800 Pro drivers and windows would refuse to boot even into safe mode, restarting itself with no error.

I then deleted the array, reset the CMOS and tried again, my old problems persist. I cannot get to the 2nd part of windows (when the timer counts down) as the installation cannot find files. I know 100% the disk is ok as is the drive so it is undoubtedly down to the board.

Any fixes for getting it going again? Glad this happened now rather than me having to format and this happening when the board isn't in warranty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up