Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Single SATA or Multiple Drive Array Setup FAQ  (Read 89227 times)

empgdca

« Reply #49 on: 13-August-04, 13:18:46 »

Galahad,

It sounds like the BIOS and hardware are correctly set.  Where you say:
"Adanced bios features" : "hard disk boot priority" we got
1. "SCSI-0 : NVIDIA STRIPE 306.77G" first and
2. "bootable add-in cards". this is correct, isn't it ?

This implies that the RAID stripe has been identified and recognised perfectly by the MOBO.

NOTE: When set up as a RAID array the BIOS does not "see" the array as IDE disks in it's POST startup checks - effectively the hardware RAID device makes the array look like a single SCSI HDD to the Mobo, in your case, SCSI device 0.

So the problem seems to be getting Windows to recognise the array at start up!

I believe the drivers you already have (i.e. from NVA020.zip) ought to work.  Presumably you extracted these to a floppy disk?  So when you press F6 while Windows boots, then press "S" to add a driver at the right time, you should be presented with 2 driver options - one the NVidia Parallel or Serial "ATA Controller" and the other the "ATA RAID Class Controller" (or similar description).

EDIT - NB - If you wanted to try the drivers from the 30mb NVidia executable file (drivers version 4.27), you can open the ".exe" file using Winzip or Winrar and then find in the list of files the subdirectory for IDE/WinXP drivers.  Ensure you select all these files, and then extract them to a directory and coppy them to a floppy.

Have you loaded *both* the drivers before installing windows?

I think both are needed for Windows to recognise the array.  Basically, you add one (I don't think it matters which is first) and then press "S" again and add the other.

Does this do the trick?

David
« Last Edit: 13-August-04, 20:24:32 by empgdca »

Galahad-fr

« Reply #50 on: 13-August-04, 13:24:18 »

already tried that a dozen of times ... both or one or the other .. I tried everything possible !

To think, I've also added the drivers to the windows cd, modifying some files and adding the *.sys files ..  I had to use a tut but, Isucceeded but Windows could not install anyway..
« Last Edit: 13-August-04, 20:27:49 by Galahad-fr »

empgdca

« Reply #51 on: 13-August-04, 13:31:01 »

Galahad, you may want to look at the edit to my previous post, which tells you how to extract the WinXP IDE drivers from the NVidia set.  I know these worked.

Note: I did not have SATA DMA enabled.  I think it unlikely that this would make a difference, but it might be worth trying.

However, it does sound like the problem may be in the Windows setup routine.  How far does it get before it fails?  Do you get to the "press F8 to accept the licence" or not?

David

Galahad-fr

« Reply #52 on: 13-August-04, 13:45:17 »

Ok I'll try a create another driver disk the way you have suggested it .. before,in bios v1.1 , the sata dma was not there, yet since in 1.3 I tthink I've tried both..

if the setup rebotts byi itself, I cant even see the F8 thing .. but if I only specify the first driver, I see it but I see 2drives instead of one ..

empgdca

« Reply #53 on: 13-August-04, 14:33:13 »

It sounds very frustrating.

If the NVidia drivers don't work, then I'm not sure I have any better suggestions.

It might be worth doing a "load optimised defaults" in BIOS and resetting the Hard Disk settings.   You could also try various other things, which have been discussed in this forum, such as unplugging all your USB devices or increasing the core voltages slightly.  However, I'm not sure these will assist with your problem.

It may also be worth trying to fully format / reformat the RAID array using a dos based partitioning / formatting tool (as long as you can get the RAID array to be seen by it).  I have experienced multiple reboots previously and I think this was caused either by a bad boot sector or by Windows not recognising the physical disk arrangement properly.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

David

Galahad-fr

« Reply #54 on: 13-August-04, 14:57:37 »

thx very much :
I used Partitio Magic, I have receated the array several times and olugged out all usb devices .. I tried this all ! no way to get it work !!

np ! I'll RMA the mobo I guess
is it the way u say it, what does RMA stand for  ?
let me have a guees, request manufacturer assistance ?
resend mobo away ? lol

c ya

empgdca

« Reply #55 on: 13-August-04, 17:21:21 »

Hi Galahad,

Sorry to hear that, but if it isn't working, then you may have no choice.

I laughed at your definitions of RMA.

RMA = Return Materials Authorization.  It is frequently used to refer to any returned product, whether authorized or not, but in the case of computer kit you usually need to get an RMA number authorised by the seller before you can send it back.

Cheers,
David
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28  All   Go Up