Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terrible Sound from Onboard  (Read 16713 times)

flu1d

Terrible Sound from Onboard
« on: 21-July-04, 20:42:50 »

Hey guys, I finally resolved my graphics card lockups so it's on to the next issue. The onboard sound is terrible! I mean I know onboard isn't the cream of the crop but this is just painful to listen to. It's like someone completely killed the low end and jacked the high end. Everything is very very tinny sounding. Wondering if anyone would care to divulge their secrets to getting at least passable sound out of the onboard solution.

Raven

• GENERAL
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21-July-04, 21:08:01 »
  • Best Answer

• do you use the right drivers ?

SAB

• AM2 Pioneer
    • GENERAL
    • The streets are fields, that never die.
    RE: Terribly Sound from Onboard
    « Reply #2 on: 21-July-04, 21:13:01 »
  • Best Answer

• Have you made adjustments with MSI's Sound Manager?
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
    AMD FX-8350
    G.Skill DDR3 ~ 16GB
    Western Digital 2 ~ 150GB Raptors
    ASUS 52X CD/RW
    ASUS CD/DVD/RW
    ASUS 2 ~ GTX770
    Logitech Z-560 4.1 Spkr. Sys.
    Logitech MX Pro Laser Mouse
    Windows7 Ultimate X64 Edition
    Linksys WMP55AG 811A/G Wireless Adapter
    Thermaltake 1050W PSU

knightofnee

(No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 21-July-04, 21:31:12 »

I get the same problem, Ive tried new drivers and it doesnt help, its still tinty sounding.

I used to have a gigabyte k8ns pro which used the same realtek 850 chip and it sounded great, I dont know why it sounds so bad.

SAB

• AM2 Pioneer
    • GENERAL
    • The streets are fields, that never die.
    (No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 21-July-04, 21:33:43 »
  • Best Answer

• Guys, have y'all tried configurations with either MSI's Sound Manager, or even Control Panels limited adjustments?
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
    AMD FX-8350
    G.Skill DDR3 ~ 16GB
    Western Digital 2 ~ 150GB Raptors
    ASUS 52X CD/RW
    ASUS CD/DVD/RW
    ASUS 2 ~ GTX770
    Logitech Z-560 4.1 Spkr. Sys.
    Logitech MX Pro Laser Mouse
    Windows7 Ultimate X64 Edition
    Linksys WMP55AG 811A/G Wireless Adapter
    Thermaltake 1050W PSU

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 21-July-04, 21:43:43 »
  • Best Answer

• to clarify.

do you use msi or realtek drivers for the sound ?

the msi drivers for my motherboard sucks but the realtek drivers are very good,

flu1d

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 22-July-04, 18:20:16 »

I think I have the MSI drivers installed.... where do I get the realteks?

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 22-July-04, 18:24:45 »
  • Best Answer

• Niclord

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 22-July-04, 19:05:52 »

I had the same problem.
    Verry bad sound in games and MP3 hickups.
    But next to that i also had bad mobo stability, stange sounds coming from mobo and no way to instal my SB audigy2 ZS.

All that came from my PSU.

Changed to one with more power on te 12V rail and less on the 3.3v rail and all those problems where gone.

It seems this mobo is realy senitive about what ram, graphic card and PSU u use.

flu1d

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 22-July-04, 21:08:25 »

Originally posted by Raven_
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-2.aspx?modelid=2003101

this is what i found about 850 on http://www.realtek.com.tw

That's only the databook... I can't find any drivers on their site....

knightofnee

(No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 23-July-04, 17:57:35 »

Ive tried every setting, it doesnt sound like there is any bass.

If I mess with the eq to try to add bass, it just doesnt sound right, it gets destorted.

flu1d

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 23-July-04, 18:02:25 »

sorry to be a pain in the butt guys, but does anyone know where to get the realtek drivers? The above link only leads you to a page that leads you to the data book. Thanks,

flu1d

knightofnee

(No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 23-July-04, 18:12:19 »

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

Im using those right now, but it doesnt make a difference which driver I use, they all sound tinty, and none of them will let me go into normal windows advanced options under volume control :(

coollg

(No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 23-July-04, 18:16:46 »

my onboard sound perfect using my altec lansing 251

knightofnee

(No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 23-July-04, 18:21:51 »

Originally posted by coollg
    my onboard sound perfect using my altec lansing 251

Try listening with a pair of headphones!

vlovich

(No subject)
    « Reply #15 on: 23-July-04, 19:15:04 »

Everything's fine here.  Maybe you messed up some of the audio settings in the msi sound effects (probably the equalizer).

On a related note, can someone explain to me what Stereo Microphones is in the Microphone Effect page is and how to enable it.

flu1d

(No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 23-July-04, 19:19:40 »

Nope, everything seems to be stock in the mixer...

knightofnee

(No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 27-July-04, 10:29:39 »

Every setting is stock in my mixer, I have tried reinstalling it about 10 times and it still soundss tinty with no bass.

PRES_00

(No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 27-July-04, 11:03:00 »

Then put the lower frequencies higher if they're all at  0 DB, jeez.

knightofnee

(No subject)
    « Reply #19 on: 27-July-04, 17:37:49 »

dont jeez me!, Im not a retard.

I have tried doing that only resulting in added distortion, and still no bass.

If I could only get to the windows advanced volume bass controls, but it seems they are greyed out. :idea:

jettoblack

(No subject)
    « Reply #20 on: 08-August-04, 05:17:06 »

I've got the exact same problem with the onboard sound... sounds like AM radio! Virtually no bass or mid-treble, but lots of midrange and high treble. Really weird stuff...

Tried both the MSI drivers on the CD, and the latest from Realtek, with the exact same problem. It sounds a little better if I crank up the bass and high treble in the EQ, but still doesn't sound as good as a $5 cheapo soundcard. Really sucks that I paid more for this board just because its onboard sound was rated highly in the reviews I've read, but in reality it really sucks, unless we've just gotten defective boards...

Unless I've missed something, I'm ready to just give up on the onboard sound, put in a $25 Envy24HT-S based card, and swear to never buy another MSI product again...

Any ideas? Thanks!

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #21 on: 15-August-04, 20:29:19 »

*bump*

got my board 2 days ago and i have the exact same problem.  5.1 sounds really good - much sharper and clearer than my soundstorm  :biggthumbsup: BUT try it with a set of headphones and youll hear what he means  :biggthumbsdown:.

There is no lows  just mids/highs.  wherever there SHOULD be bass there is only CRACKLING AND DISTORTION even for example with the "Bass" preset set in the EQ   :rolleyes:.  It sounds exactly like a stereo speaker that has "blown".  it reminded me of the early crackly soundstorm days but with no bass   :cry:.

Speaker config is Headphone in realtek and Stereo Headphones in windows control panel

I have used:

Drivers from CD
    Drivers from MSI website
    Drivers from realtek (3.62)

Other things I have noticed about the sound:

1. No matter what I do I cannot get rid of the big ugly blue MSI version of the control panel - even when running the control panel applet directly from the realtek website drivers folder with no drivers actually installed and all files manually deleted (maybe im missing one?).  My other computer with alc650 has a very different control panel with the same drivers - which i cant use on the K8N no matter what i do  :bonk:.

2. The "UAJ" thing doesnt work at all - and some of the audio jacks grab hold of the plugs and wont let go without considerable wiggling   :think:

LordBritish

(No subject)
    « Reply #22 on: 15-August-04, 20:39:30 »

I simply gave up this AC97, It was as you described  - thin and tinny.

I'm also using headphones.

For comparison, I have another computer with a 7 year old ISA Sound Blaster 16. It sounds better (for MP3s) than my K8N Neo !!!

That's pretty sad when a 7+ year old sound card sounds better.

I tried everything:
    * Boosting bass in the equilizer (didn't really help)
    * Tried Realtek and nVidia drivers (didn't help)

Nothing helped.

This did help however:
    * Disable AC97 in BIOS
    * Stick in a Audigy 2 ZS

The above worked for me !!

I'm happy as a clam now  :-D)

I recommend you do the same.

Strijker

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
    • FIRST LIEUTENANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #23 on: 15-August-04, 20:54:47 »
  • Best Answer

• get a cheapass €25 euro sound set from the Lidl... then there's no difference in wether you have a high-end sound card or the crappy onboard :P
    I FOLD..... DO YOU?

Asus Striker Extreme
    Intel Core2Duo E8400
    Corsair TWIN2X DDR2-6400 cas 4 4x2GB Dual Channel
    Asus EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M
    RAID 0: 2x Seagate 80GB SATA300
    JBOD: 2x Hitachi 640GB, 1x Seagate 250GB
    Backup: 2x Seagate 250GB - offline
    Coolermaster Stacker
    Corsair TX 750W
    Windows Vista Home Premium

-Sometimes life's a b*tch... and windows sure ain't making it better-

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #24 on: 16-August-04, 04:40:05 »
  • Best Answer

• cant compare Sound Blaster 16 with ac97.
    the soundblaster is hardware and ac97 is software and ac97 is cheap.
    and a soundcard aint expensive today.

and if you got soundstorm DONT USE REALTEK drivers as they wherent made for it.

martdj

(No subject)
    « Reply #25 on: 16-August-04, 09:54:43 »

Just reading this thread and I think the wrong questions are asked. One important question I think is: With what type of speakers are you trying? I think all of the people who have bad sound are using headphones or stereo speakers, which leads me to the following idea:
    The front speakers (and so any speakers connected to that output) aren't supposed to give bass sounds as those should be sent to the sub.
    Of course if you select that you have only 2 speakers connected it should give you bass sounds on the front outputs too, but can you guys choose what kind of speaker setup you have?

peter_storm

(No subject)
    « Reply #26 on: 16-August-04, 10:36:55 »

I have my line-out plugged into a hi-fi system, using the MSI "Rock" profile and a few tweaks on my amplifier EQ and I have warm bass and sharp treble from a cheap sound card. Couldn't ask for anything more, you must be doing something fundamentally wrong to get constant tinny sound, or have some windows settings incorrect. There is no way that a company would make a sound-chip (or sound card) that doesn't produce a decent quality output  - it wont sell therefore they wont make money. The AC97 is adequate for most needs, but in the end it's down to what speakers you are using. If you have "200 watt" desktop speakers then don't complain about the AC97 sound, as those speakers' frequency response and output is far from special. If you have Eltax towers, or Jamo's, then you will be able to pick up the quality difference betwen AC97 and a professional card.

LordBritish

(No subject)
    « Reply #27 on: 16-August-04, 10:37:55 »

I'm using standard 2 channel headphones.

I had my speaker setup as 2 channel stereo. I tried headphone setting but it didn't make much difference.

So I just gave up and bought a Audigy 2 ZS and I've been Mp3ing and Dooming (3) ever since  :like:

I don't know if the AC97 problem can be fixed or not but I wasted too much time on it. I finally realized, it's not worth my time to try to fix it.

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #28 on: 16-August-04, 12:56:20 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by peter_storm
    If you have "200 watt" desktop speakers then don't complain about the AC97 sound, as those speakers' frequency response and output is far from special. If you have Eltax towers, or Jamo's, then you will be able to pick up the quality difference betwen AC97 and a professional card.

i can here a VERY big difference between onboard and addon sound.
    but i want very much bass when using headphones and it there i can here the difference most.
    and i use VERY cheap headphones as they are the best i have tried sofar.
    and the onboard does not provide much bass or strong output as a soudblaster16 for example does.

Darth Vader

• CORPORAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #29 on: 16-August-04, 13:49:31 »
  • Best Answer

• My sound is sweet using headphones or 4 way speaker system.

But I can't get my sub and center speaker channels working.
    I've got a 3.5mm jack that splits into 2 rca female plugs, ie 1 for center speaker and 1 for sub. I've tried swopping them around but this does'nt help.

Does the center speaker need to be amplified ? I've tried plugging a set of head phones in to the sub/center output as 1 side should play bass and other side center speaker output but there is no audible output.

Am i being  :bonk:
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3000
    512Mb Kingmax DDR400
    Chaintech GeForce 4200Ti
    Seagate 160GB Barracuda Sata drive

knightofnee

(No subject)
    « Reply #30 on: 16-August-04, 17:27:00 »

I used to own a gigabyte k8ns pro, but had to get rid of it do to memory problems with that board.

It also used the realtek 850 chip but it sounded awesome with alot of bass, I dont know why it sucks so bad on this board considering its the same chip.

Xusen

(No subject)
    « Reply #31 on: 16-August-04, 18:01:26 »

I Hate this crappy board now  o_0...you pay £100 and expect some decent sound ...NOT having to pay extra 100 to get a Creative Labs Soundcard, maybe they should have just missed out on the on board sound and included a voucher for a better sound card than the bundled crappy onboard sound. :angryfire: :angryfire:

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #32 on: 16-August-04, 23:34:11 »

Originally posted by martdj
    Just reading this thread and I think the wrong questions are asked. One important question I think is: With what type of speakers are you trying? I think all of the people who have bad sound are using headphones or stereo speakers, which leads me to the following idea:
    The front speakers (and so any speakers connected to that output) aren't supposed to give bass sounds as those should be sent to the sub.
    Of course if you select that you have only 2 speakers connected it should give you bass sounds on the front outputs too, but can you guys choose what kind of speaker setup you have?

yes you are right, it sounds like it still thinks it is in surround mode and only sends the front left/right signal, with the Sub signals only causing distortion/crackle/interference instead of being mixed in.  I have tried putting speakers to the sub/center and surround jacks while in headphone mode and nothing comes out of them though.  

id like to reiterate that 5.1 channel analog sounds good (as good as or better than soundstorm/audigy) - it is only 2 speaker/headphone that has the problem - with both windows control panel and the driver set to "headphone".  

Some progs exhibit the problem more than others (jedi academy sounds almost right - just a little tinny, doom3 sounds almost right - just a little tinny with some distortion, in sof2 there is no bass at all and wind/flames/gunfire crackle and distort badly - DVD movies are tinny, distorted and quiet)  there is a general lack of bass and volume in everything.  the more bass there should be, the more distorted it gets.

my old soundstorm used to give the feeling of vibrating feet with headphones, as if there was a real subwoofer going.  this sounds as if the low end was coming out of a tweeter.  

It seems like a mixing problem in the driver to me.  like its trying to upmix into surround when only 2 channels are being used for output.

BTW this is not a picky-audiophile-subjective-quality-issue between speakers/soundcards etc.  it is very obvious.  it doesnt sound "cheap" just plain wrong - like its busted.

Darth Vader

• CORPORAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #33 on: 17-August-04, 00:27:48 »
  • Best Answer

• Are the people experiancing problems using front audio output on there pc cases or straight from the mobo ?
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3000
    512Mb Kingmax DDR400
    Chaintech GeForce 4200Ti
    Seagate 160GB Barracuda Sata drive

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #34 on: 17-August-04, 00:57:55 »

straight from the mobo here with the jumpers 5-6 and 9-10 set to disable front audio

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #35 on: 18-August-04, 20:24:27 »

i watched master and commander DVD last night (DTS) with 5.1 analog:

Sounds great - punchy, powerful but still crisp and clear - very definite 3d positioning.  but the subwoofer is not being activated with the front left/right.  

it DOES get mixed to the rear speakers (for the meatiest rear speaker sound ive ever heard) i have to turn my rear speakers to 2/3 the volume of the front speakers.

seems like it is not only with phones and is just that no bass is mixed with the front left/right channel period.

Soundstorm did the same thing but with the rear channels.

REALTEK/MSI please fix your driver........... :waiting:

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #36 on: 27-August-04, 06:13:32 »

*bump*

have any of you tried with headphones or are you just thread crapping?  I havent heard even 1 person yet say their sound is ok with headphones. anyone?

kxdude

(No subject)
    « Reply #37 on: 27-August-04, 09:55:11 »

The sound is very thin with the headphones connected to the onboard soundcard but it is almost perfect when connected to a amplifier with stereo speakers

jettoblack

(No subject)
    « Reply #38 on: 27-August-04, 10:00:57 »

I got very thin sound with either headphones or with stereo amplified computer speakers. EQ settings helped to boost the bass a little, but caused crackling distortion. Switching to a $25 soundcard solved all my audio troubles. Still, I'd rather use the onboard sound if it actually worked...

Strijker

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
    • FIRST LIEUTENANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #39 on: 27-August-04, 10:34:00 »
  • Best Answer

• I've got perfect sound both with my desktop 2.1 system (standard plugged into rear green (front speakers) plug) and also perfect sound with my headphones in the front output of my case..
    I'm using the MSI CD drivers

In the MSI Sound Manager Tab speaker configuration I've set it to 2 channel stereo speakers and it all sounds good...

in the Sound Effect tab, I've got it set to rock

Some info from the general tab:

Audio Driver Version: 5.10.0.5510
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
    Audio Controller: nVidia(00EA)
    Audio Codec: ALC850
    I FOLD..... DO YOU?

Asus Striker Extreme
    Intel Core2Duo E8400
    Corsair TWIN2X DDR2-6400 cas 4 4x2GB Dual Channel
    Asus EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M
    RAID 0: 2x Seagate 80GB SATA300
    JBOD: 2x Hitachi 640GB, 1x Seagate 250GB
    Backup: 2x Seagate 250GB - offline
    Coolermaster Stacker
    Corsair TX 750W
    Windows Vista Home Premium

-Sometimes life's a b*tch... and windows sure ain't making it better-

evilpanda

(No subject)
    « Reply #40 on: 27-August-04, 13:33:27 »

Originally posted by knightofnee
    dont jeez me!, Im not a retard.

I have tried doing that only resulting in added distortion, and still no bass.

If I could only get to the windows advanced volume bass controls, but it seems they are greyed out. :idea:

Exactly the same thing for me. I try to add more bass through the MSI EQ resulting only in added distortion. I think I'll go buy an Audigy 2 OEM.

slpnsld

(No subject)
    « Reply #41 on: 28-August-04, 14:53:01 »

i just got a k8n neo platinum and have the exact same problem with headphones not reproducing any lower frequencies.  i have not tried it with speakers tho.  tweaking any sort of equalizers doesnt do anything but distort sound.  im running on realtek drivers right now ver 5650.

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #42 on: 28-August-04, 17:48:58 »

who wants to be a guinea pig

Try this:

run regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005\Settings

Then set "DisableHeadphone" to 0
    and "HeadPhoneVolume" to 00 00

Then reboot

Only use if you are using headphones.  When switching to speakers change it back to be safe.

slpnsld

(No subject)
    « Reply #43 on: 28-August-04, 18:34:21 »

tried the registry change, didnt do anything

slpnsld

(No subject)
    « Reply #44 on: 29-August-04, 19:12:48 »

anyone have any luck yet?

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #45 on: 30-August-04, 04:03:34 »

it worked for me for a while - lots of bass and LESS crackle.  Now it doesnt work anymore gah.

The only other things I changed were

DisableCentreLFE 1

and this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005\Sensaura\Configuration

ForwardSpeakerConfiguration 0
    IgnoreDSSpeakerConfiguration 0

Maybe it was one of those that did it in combination.  Will test it properly when I have the time.

slpnsld

(No subject)
    « Reply #46 on: 30-August-04, 11:12:19 »

tried those extra reg changes to no avail

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #47 on: 08-September-04, 15:22:14 »

Realtek has done 3.63 drivers.  Now there is bass!!!!!.  Even without EQ on there is bass!!!.

I noticed however that if you use too much bass on the eq, it still crackles a bit.  But still 10x as much bass and 1/3rd of the crackle is good!!!  I found that when it is at the level where it crackles there is too much bass anyway.

download here:

http://ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a363.exe

Pottsy

(No subject)
    « Reply #48 on: 08-September-04, 16:16:05 »

scratch tht, use these, work a charm

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_audio_4.31_win2KXP

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #49 on: 08-September-04, 17:09:30 »

ok i did try those before and i got NO SOUND and the installer took about 5 minutes.  just tried them again updating manually via device manager and they work!!  Hopefully nvidia will fix the installer.

the new realtek drivers are just as bassy though and a bit clearer sounding mids and highs. worth a try.

I rather like the nvmixer though so im sticking with the nvidia drivers.

thanks Pottsy!

VatoLoco595

Suddenly Poor Sound Out
    « Reply #50 on: 09-September-04, 16:54:57 »

Is there a method of throughly testing the sound output from my Realtek AC97 Audio Driver?
    I am in the process of building and testing my new system.  Everything has been fine until this....  I was in the process of troubleshooting my capture features with my ATI All in Wonder 9600.  Unable to capture the audio and tired of trying I resumed my DOOM3 play.  This is when I noticed the difference in my play sound.  It is as if some channel of the processing is missing. I have checked all of my settings throughout the system and cannot find a solution.  I fear I have somehow blown my sound.  If any of this is familiar please comment.
    Thanks  o_0

VatoLoco595

RE: Suddenly Poor Sound Out
    « Reply #51 on: 09-September-04, 18:07:01 »

Issue fixed.
    I noticed a new driver at MSI.  ALC69
    I loaded it and my sound was restored.
    This probably could have been accomplished with the old driver.
    Thanks. :biggthumbsup:

Egold

troubles with onboard sound
    « Reply #52 on: 12-September-04, 21:55:56 »

I've read through the threads and my problem is when i installed the nvidia refrence drivers device mgr shows no multimedia audio controller. I tried the betas and got the same thing, nvmixer is in programs under nvidia but it cant find the needed component I take it the multimedia audi controller.

If I install the realtek drivers off the cd I dont get any sound from the rear speakers. Im using logitech z 640 analog. connections are right as I did try changing that first.

any sugestions on why im getting and ! for multimedia audio controller?

I did not install the ide controller Im using xp's

Thanks in advance

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #53 on: 13-September-04, 00:08:44 »

in dveice manage, right click the multimedia audio controller and select update driver.
    select the 'dont search. I will choose the driver to install'

then click 'have disk' and point to where the 'audiodrv' folder is (usually something like C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\4.31\AudioDrv)

Both sets of drivers have their pros and cons.  The nvidia driver has nvmixer but it crackles and pops like o_0 with headphones.  

The realtek driver lets you toggle hardware acceleration in games, which fixes the crackling.  The realtek also has punchier rear-speaker sound in surround mode, but tinnier front speaker output.

UPDATE: The nvidia 4.42 drivers (in the 4.27 UDP) also allow hardware acceleration in games, which fixes the crackle also.  These sound really great!!.

Nvidia 4.42 =  :like:

Egold

(No subject)
    « Reply #54 on: 13-September-04, 19:41:00 »

I did what you sugested but in the display list there was no multimedia controller. I tried using the sounds, video and game controllers and still xp would not accept any if the ini files from n vidia reference driver audio. I removed the nvidiamixer and loaded back in the new realtek drivers off the msi site and Im back to where I started all the speakers work except the rears.

Im curious why I cant use the n mixer though not installing the nvidia ide driver had anything to do with it, ok so Im grasping at straws. I suppose I could remove all the nvida files use driver cleaner and then re install?

Egold

(No subject)
    « Reply #55 on: 13-September-04, 22:05:39 »

I uninstalled and re-installed the nvidia drivers and still the nv mixer would not load . I installed the latest realtek drivers off the msi site and low and behold all the speakers work. I wish the audio pannel didnt look so childish but hey it works im happy.

Thanks for all your input

OafyC

(No subject)
    « Reply #56 on: 13-September-04, 22:18:52 »

Mine sounds great with Nvidia or Realtek drivers.  I have a Logitech z680 hooked up with both optical and analog and both sound great.  Headphones hooked up to the z680 sound fine too, are you trying to hook the headphones directly to the sound outputs on MB?

mescalito

(No subject)
    « Reply #57 on: 14-September-04, 01:29:38 »

@Egold:  

if you have audio drivers installed, remove them in add/remove programs first.

sorry i skipped the step to select sound, video and game controllers.  

the inf is in C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\4.27\AudioDrv for the 4.42 - select the "Nvidia audio codec interface"

XP will tell you the driver is not made made for your hardware, just ignore this and continue.

device manager will show another device detected - do the same for this one (you can select to install the driver automatically and XP will find it)

reboot.

the XP mixer will reappear in the tray after reboot. NVmixer appears in start->programs->nvidia corp.

@Oafyc - I am using the green line-out/headphone jack on the mobo.  1 guy reported connecting to the front audio connector works fine.

Miron

(No subject)
    « Reply #58 on: 28-September-04, 16:56:51 »

This did it!!!

Thank you very much. Works just as well with the mcp driver also.

Saved me from having to return this problematic mobo.

Sorry MSI, but no more.

These fourms and the good people who help their brethern save MSI from a lot of returns.

Thanks again,

Miron
    Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up