Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: If you're having problems with USB ports, read on...  (Read 173516 times)

truelove

i'm reading that alot of people on here are having problems with their front (or top) usb on their cases not working with their k7n2 boards.  i have come across the correct solution to this problem in one of the posts (after having solved the problem on my own), however noone has posted the solution by itself on this forum so everyone can easily see it.

The trick is to make sure that pin 10 (at least on a K7n2 delta-L), the pin labeled USBOC (USB Open Connection), is wired to NOTHING.  If the connector to your front usb ports is fused into one giant connector and it HAS a wire that will connect to this pin (labeled GND2 or Shield or something), CUT THAT WIRE.  Pin 10 on JUSB2 (at least on a K7n2 delta-L) must be OPEN.  If this pin IS connected to something (even if it is only GND), the motherboard will think something is connected to this usb port and you will get many unknown devices listed in your windows device manager and the rest of your usb ports may or may not work.

As a general rule of thumb, if a pin on a motherboard is labeled OC for "Open Connection" and you wire something to it, you're asking for trouble.

If you cannot understand this you should not be attempting to wire a motherboard in the first place.  ;)

Here is a picture to go along with this discussion.  If you cannot see this picture, I am sorry for it has probably been removed from the place I posted it online as I cannot attach pictures physically to this post.  If someone here has a way to permanently host this picture and post it to this thread permanently, that would be wonderful.

In summary: all usb ports/headers have only four pins associated with it (VCC, USB+, USB-, GND).  If the connector (whether it's one big connector or individual sockets) to your front/top usb port has 5 sockets, don't connect the 5th socket to anything.  That goes for any case/motherboard combination.  This is what i'm talking about above.  I have no idea why motherboard and case manufacturers have a 5th pin involved in any way on either the pin or socket side.  It is not used for usb.

EDIT:  I just noticed this has already been discussed in the trouble shooting guide in the above sticky post.  oh well, now we have a pretty picture to go along with it (i hope).

Raven

• GENERAL
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by truelove
    the pin labeled USBOC (USB Open Connection), is wired to NOTHING.
    i have seen that wire called usb over current.

NOTE.
    if you cut the wire make sure to insulate it too.
    also sometimes a wire can be pulled out of a block if a little needle is used to lift a little plastic piece that locks it in place.

not a bad picture.

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
    • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Virginia, USA
    (No subject)
    « Reply #2 on: 12-August-04, 15:04:08 »
  • Best Answer

• With Antec cases, there is a tab you can lift to pull the wire out (better than cutting). But , as Raven stated, insulate the exposed wire with electrical tape.
    I even folded it back and wrapped mine.  

This USB issue is not limited to this board and a single case manufacturer.  This is effecting many boards and many different brands of cases.

Edit: We seem to be getting a lot of posts concerning this issue. Maybe this post or another should be made into a sticky in the "Good Articles Forum" or "AUS."
    #1:
    MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
    MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
    Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

truelove

Originally posted by Raven
    Originally posted by truelove
    the pin labeled USBOC (USB Open Connection), is wired to NOTHING.
    i have seen that wire called usb over current.

NOTE.
    if you cut the wire make sure to insulate it too.
    also sometimes a wire can be pulled out of a block if a little needle is used to lift a little plastic piece that locks it in place.

not a bad picture.
    ah yes, 'over current'.  you may be right.  anyway, that still does not change the fact that is must be left open.  ;)

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 12-August-04, 16:15:06 »
  • Best Answer

• the usb wires on my antec sonata didnt came in a big block so it was easy to install them and get them to work.

truelove

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 12-August-04, 17:30:44 »

Originally posted by Raven
    the usb wires on my antec sonata didnt came in a big block so it was easy to install them and get them to work.
    same with my brother's case.  so i had the pleasure of finding this out with my case after i'd had no problems with my brothers.   :undecided: ;-))

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 14-August-04, 08:28:36 »
  • Best Answer

• truelove.
    is it okej if i take your image and include it inmy trouble shoot guide ?

D Engr

• SERGEANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 17-September-04, 19:04:44 »
  • Best Answer

• Is this applicable for 865PE Neo2 PFISR motherboard?

I have WinXP SP1 installed and my USB 2.0 Flash drive can't be detected by Windows when I plug it on the front panel but will work once I plug it on the rear USB panels.
    MSI Z68A-G45 (B3) BIOS V10.1
    Intel i5-2400
    4x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT
    Intel X25M-G2 80GB SSD
    samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD
    Samsung SH-S203D DVD-RW
    Samsung 226BW Monitor
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Silverstone Strider ST56F 3.3V 30A | 5V 30A | 12V1 18A | 12V2 18A

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 17-September-04, 19:07:57 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by D Engr
    Is this applicable for 865PE Neo2 PFISR motherboard?

I have WinXP SP1 installed and my USB 2.0 Flash drive can't be detected by Windows when I plug it on the front panel but will work once I plug it on the rear USB panels.

it has nothing do to if its amd or intel.
    asus or msi.
    it has to do how usb works.
    remove the usboc wire.

axeluktoo

• MAJOR
    (No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 18-September-04, 00:21:06 »
  • Best Answer

• Hi,

Good Post Truelove! Very informative!!!  :biggthumbsup:

Axel  :-D)
    Axel's Most Excellent Rig:  :biggthumbsup:
    [/COLOR]

WinXP Pro 2002 SP1 X2, SP2 x1 Multi-boot
    MSI K7N420 Pro  BIOS V2.8
    Athlon 2400XP+ Thorton!
    3x256MB A-Data DDR PC2100

MSI NX6600GT-VTD 64MB
    SoundBlaster Audigy
    Compro DVB-T300

Seagate 80GB
    120GB & 160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9
    Pioneer DVR-109 DVD-RW

Tagan 480W +3.3V - 28A, +12V - 28A, +5V - 48A

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 18-September-04, 05:42:44 »
  • Best Answer

• Axel im going to include the image in my trouble shoot guide in the next update.

jjscram

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 18-September-04, 09:29:22 »

on my lanboy it is called a ground. raven you right on leaving the wire off on antec cases. last i new there was no stanard for usb connection to on the motherboard.

Raven

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 18-September-04, 12:59:01 »
  • Best Answer

• its on all cases.
    not only antec.

also if you remove ground it will not work.

i got 1 ground for 1 usb channel.
    that makes it 2 grounds in total.

D Engr

• SERGEANT
    (No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 19-September-04, 15:45:05 »
  • Best Answer

• thanks.

I've checked the inside of my case and there's no wire connected to pins 9 and 10.

but still "device not recognized" pops in the system tray when I plug my USB 2.0 Flash drive. other devices work like my USB to infrared adapter.
    MSI Z68A-G45 (B3) BIOS V10.1
    Intel i5-2400
    4x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT
    Intel X25M-G2 80GB SSD
    samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD
    Samsung SH-S203D DVD-RW
    Samsung 226BW Monitor
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Silverstone Strider ST56F 3.3V 30A | 5V 30A | 12V1 18A | 12V2 18A

matchload

usb
    « Reply #14 on: 20-September-04, 00:47:01 »

I have the same confusion with my lanboy and the Neo2. Can anyone tell me where the front panel USB wires actually go? Which one does not get hooked up out of the five?

NeoFrank

Thanks for the heads up with the connection of pin 10 on the USB connector. I have a K8N Neo w/ AMD Athlon 64 and an Antec Silencio case. Front panel USBs (Antec) OR rear panel (MSI) USBs were not working. After reading your post, I found the front panel connector did indeed have pin 10 (brown) lead connected. I removed it and both front and back are now fiunctioning! Good call! Thanks for an excellent diagram and clear diagnosis of the problem.
    NeoFrank

maons

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
    (No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 29-November-04, 01:33:27 »
  • Best Answer

• I noticed that my USB2 port doesn't have the same pin configuration... as what you posted.  I'm wondering if the manual has an error.

Look at ms-6330 version 5.0 and note the pins on the jusb2 port...

Thanks

Wonkanoby

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    (No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 29-November-04, 02:45:14 »
  • Best Answer

• http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=24

i think you will find thats usb 1 not 2

and the drg shows just the 8 wires

so connecting it should be easier
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    4GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850

CBHedricks

(No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 10-December-04, 12:04:35 »

This is weird!  I have tried it both ways and I see the difference.  I have the ANTEC Sonata 'Piano Black' case with the MSI K8T800 Neo FSR (MSI-6702) and the connector is the problem.

FIRST:

Thanks for the informaiton!!!!!

Secondly, If you really dig into the header description on the USB.org site you will find that the 10th pin is for 'overcurrent' sensor link ment for daughter card or other USB device that has the overcurrent (read fuse) present on the daughter card.  If you fuse is blown on the card it will shut down the USB path on the motherboard.  On my system the USB ports would work in USB1 mode but not for USB2.   There appears to be a signal or voltage return on that pin when connected.  That might be what is causing the issues.

Thanks again for the excelent work on this issue.

Hammaren

Weeeee
    « Reply #19 on: 12-December-04, 08:16:52 »

Thanks a lot for this info. I just cut the shield cable and now I have 6 working USB ports instead of 2.
     K8 Platinium Neo with Antec sonata chassie

:biggthumbsup:

Wicket-

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Front USB Hangover
    « Reply #20 on: 19-December-04, 23:06:21 »

I've never had a problem with an MSI mainboard in the past and I have installed hundreds of them, its what I do.  But after searching for hours and finally finding that the Front USB port is the cause of the system not powering up I was baffelled.

I use Auriga Midi Tower Cases mainly and this 2168B was no exception.  I changed the Front USB connector and still have the same problem.  There are only 8 pins for 2 USB channels at the front.  There is no OC connector or wire here.  Unless it is grounded right at the front of the case.

I will check this out and if anyone else has any bright ideas please post.

Wicket Of Endor

jto

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!
    « Reply #21 on: 12-January-05, 13:56:00 »

You just solved a problem that had me stumped!  I had no front case USB and no USB from the rear USB adapter, only the two ream MB connhectors. The problem was the pin 10 wire on the front case connector. That also disabled the other on MB connector!  One clip and I have six more USB ports.  Sincere thanks.  Why do they do that???????????????

CBHedricks

(No subject)
    « Reply #22 on: 12-January-05, 14:05:32 »

Not all manufactures will follow the specs on USB to the letter.  I have researched this intensly and have yet to find anyone that will mention it in the User Manuals of their products.  My own issue with MSI not responding to email was resolved when I called about a different problem (video card HSF died).  The Tech that I talked with apologized profusely, but was unable to give me a definitive reason why it was not mentioned in the users guide.  There will be a addition to them in the near furture supposedly.

Anyways - Good luck and stay tuned.  If I find out more information I wll be sure to post it.  Also check out the CPU Forums for more good information.

Later.

Brad.

npk06

USB 2.0 front connectors freeze
    « Reply #23 on: 20-January-05, 16:58:14 »

Hello guys,

working in a university, I recently bought for one of our departments 60 MSI mainboards (model i865PE Neo2-V). Now that we installed the PCs, we just discovered this USB problem... when you connect a USB 2.0 device on the front connector, the system (Win 2000) hangs and stops responding but it works fine on the rear connectors.

This is quite a big issue for us as USB mass storage flash disks are the main (I should say the only one) storage media we allow our students to use. Of course they also can use the 3"5 floppy disks but well....  :-D)

I'll try to unwire pin 10 tomorrow (it's currently wired to the shield end of the front connector cable) and if that works, I'll thank you gratefully tomorrow... and will probably damn MSI for a hundred years for not mentionning this in the "user manual" provided with the mainboard cause I'll have to open 60 cases thanks to this lack of information despite it seems to be a known issue...  :angryfire:

Anyway thank you for the input, and stay tuned for the answer...

Regards

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
    • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Virginia, USA
    (No subject)
    « Reply #24 on: 20-January-05, 19:59:14 »
  • Best Answer

• Actually, it's the case manufacturers fault rather than MSI (although, why the #10 pin isn't electrically isolated...). The case manufacturers are including this 9th wire to the #10 pin which is unneccessary with using the Intel USB spec. I kinow Gigabyte uses a different layout.
    #1:
    MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
    MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3

MSI Wind U100

npk06

(No subject)
    « Reply #25 on: 21-January-05, 19:23:04 »

:-D)Hello guys,

as promised I come back here to give the results of my tests... and I have to say that you saved my day (even if I had to open back 60 secured cases).

So the solution was the right one, when I unplugged the "ground" end of the front USB connector cable from the USBOC pin, those connectors finally worked as expected with USB 2.0 compliant devices.

So thank you really much for this very usefull information !

And even if maybe it's not only MSI's fault, I still believe that more information on those connectors in the user's manual would be really usefull (who knows what USBOC means except a few people and who could imagine that pluggin on it a "ground" cable would make it unserviceable ??). And who ever saw a user's manual bundled with a case ?? it's pretty unusual   :-P)

Hope that someone at MSI will read that and take it into consideration, not for me (because now I'm aware) but for the thousands other consumers that will feel a little bit "annoyed" with that issue. I don't think that adding one line about it in user's manuals would be so much expensive  ;-))

But I'm quite lucky myself... being able to understand and write english (even if I still have some progress to do  :-D)) gave me the possibility to find the solution... but a lot of my french fellows can't do that... and there's no french forum here... How can they do ? They rely on user's manual ;-))

Best regards,

Nicolas

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
    • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Virginia, USA
    (No subject)
    « Reply #26 on: 22-January-05, 00:04:11 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by npk06
    ... And who ever saw a user's manual bundled with a case ?? it's pretty unusual   :-P)...

Actually, my antec case came with a manual.
    #1:

#2:

MSI Wind U100

KaptCrunch

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
      • http://n/a
    (No subject)
    « Reply #27 on: 22-January-05, 23:10:07 »
  • Best Answer

• so this OC lead to nul the ports when using both 2.0 USB port at same time.
    PCI header came with a sticker covering second 2.0port for that reason
    to pervent overload.

OC pin is idiot proofing when wired correctly so beware not to overload when cut wire
    Originally printed in MBmanaul
    BECAUSE the BLUETOOTH connector shares the USB inface with onboard USB pinheader. the USB port coverd by a sticker will not function when you attach a bluetooth module to this connector.
    MS-6570 K7N2-Delta-L
    Barton 3200xp
    Chilled by HydroCool 200 EX 41c loaded 37c idle
    1gigDDR PC3500 Dual Channel fsb400
    MS-8929 FX5900u 256ram
    SB Audigy with opticial out
    3.3v-25a/5v-35a/12v-20a
    -----------------------------------
    Caution :noidea:
    for everyone  thinks with #X.GHZ cpu is  just as fast floppy drive, speed dont match CPU speed, is a very slow operation!
    and please wait for this brain surgery to complete (min 15mins)
    to reassemble its bytes FLASH bios :confused2:
    -----------------------------------
    above all READ the  :rtfm: or the screen

usb-toobad

(No subject)
    « Reply #28 on: 25-January-05, 20:12:22 »

As you can see over there [KT4V-L MS-6712] USB 2.0 & Win2k pilots , I really pulled my hair off as this damn bug can't possibily be spot if the user manual is dumb about it !!!!

I didn't reinstall this box for a very long time and this :censored: bug is the only thing which got me on my knees !  :angryfire:

Forgeman

• SERGEANT
  • Best Answer

•  :biggthumbsup:

Great posting!  Wish I'd read this a couple of days ago - and saved myself a lot of hassle.

I've just bought a Neo2 Platinum board (MS-7028) designed for Intel processors and have the same problem.  If I connected a USB device to ANY of the ports connected to ANY header on the mb, the system would hang.  Occasionally I'd also get a Windows error message, "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub ports.  You should disconnect the device."  The four rear-facing USB connectors on the mb were unaffected.

My case is a Termaltake Tsunami and has two flat connector plugs on the two front-facing USB leads.  After reading this posting I checked and all 5 pins in both connectors are wired.  Both flat connectors have to plug into the same USB connector on the mb.  As it turns out, plug 1 on row 1 is OK because of the missing pin 9 but row 2 was the culprit because all 5 header pins were connected.  Disconnecting USBOC and taping the wire back has solved my problem.

MSI support (UK) blamed SP2 saying, "Windows XP service pack 2 has stricter (power) requirement than pack 1".  This clearly wasn't the cause of my problems.  I would suggest MSI revise the motherboard manual to mention this.

Thanks once again.
    915P Neo2 Platinum PCI-E (MS-7028) m/b
    BIOS v1.6
    Pentium 4 550 3.4GHz 'Prescott' processor
    Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 1Gb RAM
    Asus Extreme GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB (PCI-E) graphics
    Maxtor DiamondMax +9 7200RPM SATA 120GB h/d
    Thermaltake 480W ATX PSU Xaser Silent Edition
    Thermaltake Tsunami Aluminium Case
    LiteOn DVD-ROM
    LiteOn Dual Layer 16x DVD±RW ReWriter
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Dexman

Wow, great information, thank you! Any time now I have problems with USB that will be first thing I check!

mystvearn

• STAFF SERGEANT
  • Best Answer

• on my mobo, there is only 9 pins, and using the tsunami casing, The top panel USB are 2:
    USB1
    USB2

Since there is only 9 pins, the USB 1, the 5th does not connect  to the USBOC thing/there is no 5th pin. So I did not cut the wire for this one. Is it ok? For USB2, there are 5 pins, I just gvut the wire going to USBOC, the 5th wire. Tried 1.1 it works. I have trouble finding 2.0 devices now.

Forgeman

• SERGEANT
  • Best Answer

• on my mobo, there is only 9 pins, and using the tsunami casing, The top panel USB are 2:
    USB1
    USB2

Since there is only 9 pins, the USB 1, the 5th does not connect to the USBOC thing/there is no 5th pin. So I did not cut the wire for this one. Is it ok? For USB2, there are 5 pins, I just gvut the wire going to USBOC, the 5th wire. Tried 1.1 it works. I have trouble finding 2.0 devices now.

Assuming both your top panel USB cables are plugged in to the same USB header on the mb, this should work.  AFAICR, mine are plugged in to JUSB2 and I have the D-Bracket USB connector plugged in to JUSB1.  Mine both work and I did not disable USBOC on USB1.

I can't understand why 1.1 devices should work OK but you are having trouble with USB 2.0 devices.  Have you checked your BIOS settings?
    915P Neo2 Platinum PCI-E (MS-7028) m/b
    BIOS v1.6
    Pentium 4 550 3.4GHz 'Prescott' processor
    Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 1Gb RAM
    Asus Extreme GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB (PCI-E) graphics
    Maxtor DiamondMax +9 7200RPM SATA 120GB h/d
    Thermaltake 480W ATX PSU Xaser Silent Edition
    Thermaltake Tsunami Aluminium Case
    LiteOn DVD-ROM
    LiteOn Dual Layer 16x DVD±RW ReWriter
    Windows XP Pro SP2

chrissp26

• SERGEANT
      • http://www.chris-spittles.co.uk
  • Best Answer

• I have the CMStacker and have the front USB 2.0 ports installed. I'm having problems with the rear devices (Saitek Gamers Keyboard and Razer Diamondback mouse). Would it help by following the instructions above? I don't really want to cut a wire to find that I didn't need to.

Thanks

Chris
    CPU:  Intel Core i7
    RAM: 4gb Corsair Dominator
    GPU:  ATI 5870
    SFX:  Creative x-Fi

GC61

USB Problem
    « Reply #34 on: 04-May-05, 13:06:03 »

I had gotten a reply from you in another message area and couldn't find a way to start a new thread.

I've been thru every message in this area at least 100 times. I understand that some have cases that
    have usb ports on the front panel, and a extra wire was connected that needs to be cut. One person
    left a message in the same situation I'm in. Our case don't have USB ports and we're just using the
    D-Panel. We get the same problems everyone else has. That person who left the message didn't
    get a reply. I did read one message where WinXP SP2 maybe the problem, before I reinstall winXP SP 1
    I would like to see if I have other options to help correct the problem. When I plug my Scanner in to a usb
    port on the rear, I get "unknown device". I connected 2 D-Panels in to jusb1 and jusb2 then try these
    ports, the two ports on jusb1 don't even see the scanner, the ports on jusb2 i get the "unknown device".
    I cleared the cmos and reset the bios, that didn't help, hell I ever upgraded the bios. Does anyone have
    any other ideas on this problem? I would like to go to bed at reasonable hour.
    Thanks everone

MSI K8N Neo Platinum BIOS 3.80
    AMD 64 3200+
    1gig DDR400
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 128MB
    5 120 gig IDE Hard Drives
    Sony CD-RW CRX230A
    Plextor DVD PX-712
    NEC AccuSync LCD9v 17' Monitor
    Windows XP Pro (SP2)
    Generic PSU 3.3V 30A | 5V 50A | 12V 25A

Glenn

• GENERAL
    • Former Moderator
    Re: USB Problem
    « Reply #35 on: 04-May-05, 13:53:18 »
  • Best Answer

• I had gotten a reply from you in another message area and couldn't find a way to start a new thread.

"New Topic" is at the top right of each forum. 8-))
    msi P55-GD65
    i7-860 Lynnfield
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4x2) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Zalman CNPS9900A LED CPU Cooler
    Diamond Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 Ruby Edition
    Acer X203w 20" LCD
    Samsung LN-T3253H 32" LCD HDTV
    Kingston 128GB SSDNow V-Series
    WDC Blue WD5000AAKS-22A7B2 500GB
    Sony DRU710A DVDRW
    Logitech Z-5500's
    Creative Audigy2 ZS
    Antec 300 Case
    PCP&C Silencer 500 EPS12V PSU
    Windows 7 (64bit)

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • There's always a risk.
  • Best Answer

• Is it just the scanner? Other USB devices, do they work?

Sometimes, but this probably not the case here, you have to install the scanner driver first, reboot, and then attach the scanner.

USB devices doesn't need mush more than a correct connection to the pins.

mystvearn

• STAFF SERGEANT
  • Best Answer

• Just cut the wire and evreything is settled. Nothing more. Only 2.0 does not work. All 2.0. Thanks.

GC61

Is it just the scanner? Other USB devices, do they work?

Sometimes, but this probably not the case here, you have to install the scanner driver first, reboot, and then attach the scanner.

USB devices doesn't need mush more than a correct connection to the pins.

I don't think you were reply to mine, but I have been having the same usb problems. So happens I got in to this trying
    to get my scanner going. I'm only using jusb1 for the d'panel. The usb ports say "unknowm device". I have cleared the
    cmos. I removed all usb drivers and had the system renstall them. What I have now is the on-board usb disabled, and
    installed a pci usb card and this found my scanner right off. With the pci card installed I turned the on-board usb and
    the pci card still sees the scanner and the on-board usb still don't see the devices. If you or someone else can figure
    something out, I'll love you for ever

MSI K8N Neo Platinum BIOS 3.80
    AMD 64 3200+
    1gig DDR400
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 128MB
    5 120 gig IDE Hard Drives
    Sony CD-RW CRX230A
    Plextor DVD PX-712
    NEC AccuSync LCD9v 17' Monitor
    Windows XP Pro (SP2)
    Generic PSU 3.3V 30A | 5V 50A | 12V 25A

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • There's always a risk.
  • Best Answer

• You say you have a scanner. I do think I was answering your post. :undecided:

Nice you got things going. I don't think you would have needed the PCI-card to fix your problem. Letting Windows have its way, with its own drivers, should have sufficed. Which you did! :biggthumbsup:

Rowens

My front USB  ports and internal Addonics card reader on a K8N Neo Platinum have never worked but I haven't had the time to troubleshoot the problem. I saw this thread Friday and pulled the USBOC wire on Saturday. Everything is now working. Cool!

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
    • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Virginia, USA
  • Best Answer

• Glad it's working for you now.
    #1:

#2:

MSI Wind U100

duvallite

• SERGEANT
  • Best Answer

• This is a good thread, but the USBOC fix did not work for me.  I recently discovered that the front USB ports on my Antec Plus660AMG case would not work with USB2.0, even though the USB headers on my 865PE board worked fine.  Even after making sure that nothing was connected to pin 10 (USBOC), it still would not work, I just kept getting the "unrecognized device" message whenever I tried to plug in my jump drives :confused2:.  After searching several forums, it turns out that the PCB that Antec uses in my case for the USB front ports could only handle USB1.1, and not the 2.0 version.  I made a quick call to Antec customer support to verify this, which they did, and they sent me a new PCB at no charge that they said would work with 2.0 devices.  Three days later I got it in the mail, hooked it up. and it works fine now  :smile:.  Both PCBs were visually identical, but obviously different in some way.  So, if the USBOC fix doesn't work for you, and you have an Antec case, this may be another option for you to try. 
    MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR, MS-6728, ver. 2
    AMI Bios, A6728IMS, v3.5
    P3.0 Northwood @ 3.3MHz
    Thermalright XP-90, AS5, Thermaltake Silent Cat
    Kingston HyperX PC3200, 1G @ 4x256MB
    Antec Plus660AMG case with 4x80mm Panaflo L1A fans
    Enermax 420w Noisetaker PSU
    (2) WD SE HDs, 80G, 8MB cache, 7200 rpm
    ATI 9800 Pro, 128MB, AC VGA Cooler rev. 3, Vantec Copper Ram Sinks
    Pioneer DVR-710  DVD/CD RW
    SB Audigy2 ZS Gamer
    Sony 3.5 Floppy
    XP Pro, SP2

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
    • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Virginia, USA
  • Best Answer

• Good for you. I've found Antec's customer support to be very good. They were very responsive to me.
    #1:

#2:

MSI Wind U100

folken

ok i have a k7n2 delta mobo.  i have the usb problem in both front and back of my pc. i get the error with my hp scanjet 3970 scanner.  i read in the hp website that nfoce chipsets arnt compatible with with the 3000 modle series scanners.  ok i notice the pic about taking out the usboc wire. the pin definition chart is the same as my manuel but the plug is not the same as mine in my mobo.  where u take the plug part out of pin 10 it says in the side of it GND instead of usboc. anyway i took it off pin 10 so nothing is there and i still get the problem. can soemone please point me in the right direction.

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Birmingham, UK
      • StuOnline.co.uk
  • Best Answer

• what error do you get? the scanjet 3970 will still work with USB 1.1, i know cos i tested one at work on my PII test rig, which only has USB 1.1
    Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

folken

the error i get is when i plug in the usb is Unknown Device and the in a box it says this device (usb) has malfucntioned or no longer works or something like that.

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Birmingham, UK
      • StuOnline.co.uk
  • Best Answer

• ok, so have you tried the scanner in another machine? do any other USB devices work ok in the same port?
    Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

folken

the scanner works ..it stop wroking when i got this new mobo. it work before with an Asus mobo.  yes other devices work in the same port and i have tried it in all the ports.

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • There's always a risk.
  • Best Answer

• It sounds odd it would work on an Asus but not on MSI. Are there any other differences? Like, even more USB devices, USB hubs, etc? There is a 500mA limit for USB devices. You can sum your USB devices up somewhere in XP I believe.
    Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up