Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Boot and Multiple beeps! Please HELP!  (Read 1161 times)

chattam

No Boot and Multiple beeps! Please HELP!
« on: 30-August-04, 16:11:35 »

Ok i was doing some maintenance yesterday (finally got around to connecting my computer to my home network) and i used liveupdate to update some of my drivers and to bring me to Bios 1.2 (and i updated windows too).  I have got a Beta version of the new bios on floppy but i was gonna install that today.  Everything went fine so i installed prince of persia (free with my graphics card), watched a few tv eps, switched off my computer and went to bed.  I tried to restart this morning and my computer has started beeping at me! (just a continuous beeping from the system speaker, not morse or out) it won't let my monitor come on so i can't tell what the problem is.
I have disconnected all my drives (HDD CDRW DVD FDD) and it still does it. can anybody help me? i am really worried about this!

Thanks!

sharmane

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 30-August-04, 17:21:36 »

Remove RAM and re-seat it.

Try clearing CMOS.

NovJoe

• Hawk
  • ~DeSTinY~ Destined 2 Be HeRe ^^
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 30-August-04, 18:35:39 »

The beeping sound should repeat in a certain sequence, for example, 1 long beep followed by 2 short beep.

Post how your beep code sounds and it'll be able to define what the problem is.
HTPC - DVI to HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz (B) on MSI 865PE Neo2
512MB x 2 Kingston @ 333MHz, 80GB Seagate
MSI NX6800Ultra, AcBel 560w PSU, WinXP Pro SP3

MSI Wind Love U100 Netbook - VGA to Sony Bravia LCD
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP SP3

Acer Aspire 4741 - HDMI to Sharp 32" LCD
Core i5 M450 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 7 Hm Premium

HP Compaq V3136 - VGA to Sharp 32" LCD
C2D 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP Media Centre SP3

Gigaworks S750, 7.1 THX Dolby Surround
Altec Lansing XA3501, 5.1 Gaming THX

MSI HQ Forum USB flasher

chattam

beeps
« Reply #3 on: 31-August-04, 09:26:45 »

the beeping is not in morse code (if it was i might have been able to work it out myself!) it is just a long sequence of short beeps. the beeping stops but because of a (potentially related) problem with the screen that i've been having i can't find out much!
I'll try the ram thing.

Danny

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 31-August-04, 14:42:36 »

chattam

i am now into windows!
« Reply #5 on: 31-August-04, 16:42:05 »

yup it was the cmos thing.
I reset my bios settings and the computer worked!
I now just have severe instability in windows. any more ideas anyone?
Could this be an instable bios (xp freezes, all input devices stop working and the sound stutters)
If its a windows prob tell me. i've got a backup somwhere (or i could just reinstall!)

Cheers

Danny

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 31-August-04, 17:48:20 »

What version bios do you have?

What are the amp ratings for the +3.3/+5/+12v power supply lines?

chattam

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 31-August-04, 18:03:36 »

i am using bios v1.2

on the ampage of my power leads i really don't know, it doesn't say in my case manual, and i can't find it on the net.

But looking in my case manual it says that i have a 6pin AUX and a 4pin 12v connector for my motherboard, which i haven't connected. (i am just using the normal 20 pin main connector)
Does this matter?

Sorry to be such a pain, this is the first time i have put together a custom computer!

chattam

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 31-August-04, 18:14:35 »

Ok i have found the output table.

OUTPUT         +5V    -5V      +12V   -12V      +3.3V   +5VSB  

Max. Load      35A*   0.5A    18A*    1.0A      28.0A*  2.0A  

Min. Load       0A       0A       0.8A     0A        0A        0A  

Load Reg.      ±3%    ±5%    ±3%    ±5%     ±3%     ±5%  

Ripple V(p-p)  50mV  50mV  120mV  120mV  50mV    50mV  

* +5V, +3.3V & +12V maximum output 360 Watts max.

Thanks for your help!

Danny

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 31-August-04, 18:16:44 »

I don't see a 6 pin AUX connector, but the 4 pin JPW1 does need to be connected. It supplies power to the CPU and I'm surprised you can boot without it.

The ATX1 connector is a 24 pin connector, not a 20 pin connector.

We are talking about the 915P Neo2 Platinum, correct? What page in your manual shows the 6 pin AUX connector?

chattam

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 31-August-04, 18:47:11 »

sorry, me being stupid. the 4 pin cpu connector is obviously plugged in.

I was talking about my case manual when i mentioned the 6 pin aux connector. it says in there that it could be plugged in somewhere on my motherboard. but perhaps my one doesn't need it.

It is the 915p neo2 platinum that i have got

chattam

return to status quo
« Reply #11 on: 02-September-04, 08:40:38 »

After restting my cmos and setting up my bios again i thought i had solved the provblem, but now my computer is doing exactly the same as it was before. it seems that every time i switch off the computer it screws up.  Am i gonna have to reset the cmos all the time or is there another solution?

Danny

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 02-September-04, 21:32:17 »

Your power supply looks on the light side. The Northwood and Prescott socket 478 cpu's have required power supplies in the 400W class, with Prescott's needing 450W or higher. The +12V rail should be at least 22A for your hardware, and preferrable in the 30A territory that companies like Enermax are providing in the 450+ Watt class of supplies.

chattam

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 03-September-04, 09:04:46 »

Ok i'll get on that.
Any other suggestion for psu? enermax are quite rare in this country (UK) and are pretty expensive when you can find them.

In the mean time i reset my cmos once more (only the second time) and i am now getting a different error on startup.  i switch on and eventually i get two fast beeps. Apparently this means i now have a parity/memory error.
Could this be connected to the power shortage or is my computer just really screwed up?

Your most stupid poster

Chattam
Pages: [1]   Go Up