Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't connect to secure websites including Microsoft  (Read 2489 times)

epirb406

• SERGEANT

Hi folks, well as you may have seen I had a bit of a job getting my 865 connected to the network/web at all, but I did!

Now I have a bizarre problem which though I have found some info on have not found a solution.

Let me just state that most people who seem to have had this prob are on XP SP". I am on XP SP1.

I am getting a page cannot be displayed if I try to connect to any Microsoft site, ie hotmail, msn or mcrosoft iysel. I also can't connect to Ebay.

I can connect to yahoo and my internet bank account.

I have virus aand spyware checked
I don#t have a firewall.
I am on a dialup connection via a wireless network via a wireless network.
I have tried all the solutions I have seen on the microsoft site.

I will stop there in case this really is the wrong place to post this. However, it is a problem I don't have on any of the other computers on the network which includes XP, 98, laptops and desktops.

Interested in your comments, cheers, Epirb.

Normunds

« Reply #1 on: 21-October-04, 23:45:43 »

One of possible reasons might be that part of the "root" certificates are either obsolete, or expired or non present/invalid at all on your PC.

ALso, I am not sure if this could have any impact to root cert validity, but anyway there is no harm to check that system date&time is more or less accurate. This I mention becaus any SSL certificate has validity period.
« Last Edit: 22-October-04, 06:50:07 by Normunds »

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 22-October-04, 00:01:17 »

you could check that your system time & date are correct. a friend of mine had a problem with a worm that set his date "in the future" which meant that any security certificates were "out of date" (because his date was too far ahead) so he couldn't access any secure sites because the certificates were invalid.
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

epirb406

• SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 24-October-04, 21:29:44 »

Hi guys, sorry to have been absent from my own post for so long, I have been working at this in between other things.

A brief resume but by no means everything I have tried.

New minimal install of XP Pro.
Checked date and time.
Followed to the letter all instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444#4
Tried Opera browser.
Tried altering MTU settings on the network (this was a last ditch attempt, I am on dialup but as someone said, I had nothing to lose)

I am beginning to think this must be a network adapter problem, somewhere in the settings. The 865 is the only one on my wireless network that doesn't have a USR card.

Any experience of thoughts to share guys? Been at this a while now!!

Cheers, Epirb.

Normunds

« Reply #4 on: 25-October-04, 09:13:45 »

Originally posted by epirb406
I am beginning to think this must be a network adapter problem, somewhere in the settings. The 865 is the only one on my wireless network that doesn't have a USR card.

I guess an easy way to check this is to try to connect Mega with the wired network card

Also, is there any "common delimiter" among those secure websites which work and those which don't work for you?

rkoppen

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 25-October-04, 10:21:43 »

I forgot, is the default Windows XP firewall turned on or off when you install it ?

Ray
MSI Mega 865 Deluxe
Prescott 3Ghz P4 Mobo-bios 1.3
Kingston 1024Mb (2x 512 DDR400)
WD Sata 200GB HD - Windows XP Home SP2
LG GSA 4040B DVD+-R Writer
Club3D Radeon AIW 9800 PRO
 :angryfire:CPU temp :62oC under load / 54oC idle :angryfire:

Normunds

« Reply #6 on: 25-October-04, 11:28:51 »

Originally posted by rkoppen
is the default Windows XP firewall turned on or off when you install it ?

I don't believe Windows f/w could be the root cause here (although I don't use it myself)

a) there can't be any reason why outbound https would be disallowed;
b) even if M$ would consider outbound https as potentially dangerous, why would they deny it to a number of destinations and allow to a number of others??
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up