Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't connect to secure websites including Microsoft  (Read 1547 times)

epirb406

• Easy OC
I can't connect to secure websites including Microsoft
« on: 21-October-04, 22:52:03 »

Hi folks, well as you may have seen I had a bit of a job getting my 865 connected to the network/web at all, but I did!

Now I have a bizarre problem which though I have found some info on have not found a solution.

Let me just state that most people who seem to have had this prob are on XP SP". I am on XP SP1.

I am getting a page cannot be displayed if I try to connect to any Microsoft site, ie hotmail, msn or mcrosoft iysel. I also can't connect to Ebay.

I can connect to yahoo and my internet bank account.

I have virus aand spyware checked
I don#t have a firewall.
I am on a dialup connection via a wireless network via a wireless network.
I have tried all the solutions I have seen on the microsoft site.

I will stop there in case this really is the wrong place to post this. However, it is a problem I don't have on any of the other computers on the network which includes XP, 98, laptops and desktops.

Interested in your comments, cheers, Epirb.

Normunds

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22-October-04, 00:45:43 »

One of possible reasons might be that part of the "root" certificates are either obsolete, or expired or non present/invalid at all on your PC.

ALso, I am not sure if this could have any impact to root cert validity, but anyway there is no harm to check that system date&time is more or less accurate. This I mention becaus any SSL certificate has validity period.
« Last Edit: 22-October-04, 00:50:07 by Normunds »

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22-October-04, 01:01:17 »

you could check that your system time & date are correct. a friend of mine had a problem with a worm that set his date "in the future" which meant that any security certificates were "out of date" (because his date was too far ahead) so he couldn't access any secure sites because the certificates were invalid.
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

epirb406

• Easy OC
Still at it
« Reply #3 on: 24-October-04, 22:29:44 »

Hi guys, sorry to have been absent from my own post for so long, I have been working at this in between other things.

A brief resume but by no means everything I have tried.

New minimal install of XP Pro.
Checked date and time.
Followed to the letter all instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444#4
Tried Opera browser.
Tried altering MTU settings on the network (this was a last ditch attempt, I am on dialup but as someone said, I had nothing to lose)

I am beginning to think this must be a network adapter problem, somewhere in the settings. The 865 is the only one on my wireless network that doesn't have a USR card.

Any experience of thoughts to share guys? Been at this a while now!!

Cheers, Epirb.

Normunds

RE: Still at it
« Reply #4 on: 25-October-04, 10:13:45 »

Originally posted by epirb406
I am beginning to think this must be a network adapter problem, somewhere in the settings. The 865 is the only one on my wireless network that doesn't have a USR card.

I guess an easy way to check this is to try to connect Mega with the wired network card

Also, is there any "common delimiter" among those secure websites which work and those which don't work for you?

rkoppen

• Afterburner
« Reply #5 on: 25-October-04, 11:21:43 »

I forgot, is the default Windows XP firewall turned on or off when you install it ?

Ray
MSI Mega 865 Deluxe
Prescott 3Ghz P4 Mobo-bios 1.3
Kingston 1024Mb (2x 512 DDR400)
WD Sata 200GB HD - Windows XP Home SP2
LG GSA 4040B DVD+-R Writer
Club3D Radeon AIW 9800 PRO
 :angryfire:CPU temp :62oC under load / 54oC idle :angryfire:

Normunds

« Reply #6 on: 25-October-04, 12:28:51 »

Originally posted by rkoppen
is the default Windows XP firewall turned on or off when you install it ?

I don't believe Windows f/w could be the root cause here (although I don't use it myself)

a) there can't be any reason why outbound https would be disallowed;
b) even if M$ would consider outbound https as potentially dangerous, why would they deny it to a number of destinations and allow to a number of others??

rkoppen

• Afterburner
« Reply #7 on: 25-October-04, 12:47:08 »

Well, it is just one of the things I would check on a friend's system if I had to handle this problem in person.

I did not say it would be logical :) .... but if all the logical checks do not yield a result, you better check all the non-logical ones. How trivial it may be.

My second rule is, only trust what you see yourself.

Third (I mentioned this one before) If you get really stuck, leave it be and try again the next day.

BTW I do not trust the Windows firewall either, so I am not using it either.

Ray
« Last Edit: 25-October-04, 12:48:10 by rkoppen »
MSI Mega 865 Deluxe

epirb406

• Easy OC
Some more info but no solution
« Reply #8 on: 25-October-04, 22:59:11 »

OK, Here goes.......

PLugged the mega 865 into the wireless access point directly, established that since it still could connect to the net but not the secure sites that it was not the wireless connection that was at fault.

Used a crossover cable and connected straight to the host PC, every thing worked.

That woud suggest that wireless acess point is at fault.

But. have other machines connected in the same way that have no problem.

SO. This PC (mega 865) must be having a problem with the USR 8054 Wireless access point. What is it?

Gutted about all this, hope you not all losing interest, thanks to all for all so far, cheers, Epirb.

PS all firewalls disabled whilst trying to sort this!

rkoppen

• Afterburner
RE: Some more info but no solution
« Reply #9 on: 26-October-04, 08:50:31 »

I'm still a bit baffled, and looked around on internet; these steps might be worth-while investigating;

http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=3724

or this ;

http://verisign.netscape.com/advisor/check.html

Ray
MSI Mega 865 Deluxe

Normunds

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 26-October-04, 09:08:50 »

Indeed, it looks like the problem is in the PC

To be completely sure about that, one could connect this PC directly to Internet. In theory it could be so that ssl (tcp:443) is not allowed (on some sort of router in your network) from the IP range where the Mega PC belongs to a ranges of external addresses. Such configuration seems sort of strange to me though :undecided:

I suppose two links provided by rkoppen and the Microsoft's own one describe sufficiently what needs to be checked.
If everything is checked positively as to PC-s support for HTTPS, and even a direct connection to Internet doesn't help, I guess you need to talk to your ISP....
« Last Edit: 26-October-04, 09:13:57 by Normunds »

epirb406

• Easy OC
still gutted, a few more thoughts
« Reply #11 on: 26-October-04, 23:18:07 »

Hi Guys,

Yes, I have tried all the steps on the belkin site, they are the same as the microsoft suggested.

I cannot check the verisign one, it will not load on the mega, it does so on all other computers on the network.

Yes I can get a sucessful connection to all sites with an ad hoc connection throught the host PC with a crossover cable.

ALL firewalls disabled whilst I sort this out.

Have not chased up the MTU issue, I am fairly convinced it is a red herring with a tiscali dial up connection (Ie no broadband, no AOL)

I have upgraded the firmware on my USR wireless acess point.

It has been not only a pain but made no difference.

I have tried various different network configurations, all to no avail.

I have a further question though. It seems that all the troubleshooting advice that I have been following relates to problems connecting to secure sites, ie ones with the prefix https:// I cannot connect to some http:// sites either, ie Ebay hotmail or plain old microsoft. Am I missing something here?

Anyone here with nothing better to do than review all this post and suggest where I may be missing something so very obvious it is embarrasing?

Thanks for continued interest, Epirb.

Normunds

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 27-October-04, 09:15:55 »

if you can't connect to some unencrypted sites as well, it rather clearly indicates a problem with the basic IP connectivity, rather than the "add-on" SSL functionality on a particular pC. In a way it was actually suspected, because you seemed to indicate that some of encrypted websites were accessible

I would try to proceed with these further checks -

a) connect the PC directly to ISP (if possible)
b) assign to the troublesome PC an IP address of one of fully-functional PC-s
c) make sure that name resolution is fully functional on the troubled PC

Purpose of a) is to exclude possible influence of any "local network" of yours
b) is to exclude possible influence of local router configurations
c) it could just be that DNS resolution for some reason doesn't work very well  on the PC under question

epirb406

• Easy OC
On that last....
« Reply #13 on: 27-October-04, 14:34:23 »

Normunds, Haven't tried your suggestions yet, after a few confirmations.

a) I can connect to ISP with NO problems (All sites accesible with a crossover cable to host PC.
b)Above works either with manual IP address or Automatic.
c)Name resolution functional?

Thanks, sorry to be a dummy!

Cheers, Epirb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up