Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K8N neo2 RMAed and replcement no better  (Read 2786 times)

Zeus.

K8N neo2 RMAed and replcement no better
« on: 18-December-04, 09:40:46 »

Hi all

having problems with my second K8N neo2, the first one was running well, then the CPU got hot 116degrees C, everest reported the 12V rail at 1.79 volts, then it failed to boot with the fans just spinning-( this is an quick summary of the initail problem) but pior to problem passed memtest86 and prime95 stable for 18hr+ and stopped. was folding 24/7 with no issues temps below 50C

RMA the mobo got a new one (two week turn around) - great I thought - not

built the system and the replacemnet mobo will only boot with one stick of ram in slot 1 or slot 3 slot 2 is a no go. flashed the bios to the offical 1.4 and same problem. this is with everthing set to STD and no overclock.

haven't memtested the mem as it was fine b4 and runs fine on another system.

So it looks like RMA time again and no replacment mobo till after Xmas

any ideas

Zeus.

dacull

• CAPTAIN
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 18-December-04, 10:38:31 »
  • Best Answer

• A single stick in slot 2 isn't  a valid combination.

Read your manual or the following combination list

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607

I'm a bit dubious about your first board, I very much doubt your CPU reached 116degrees C otherwise it wouldn't be working now. (did you RMA your CPU also?) the A64 will shutdown at 90degrees (i think or less even) automatically without the help of your mobo.

The neo2 is known to give completely wrong temperature and voltage readings - somewhat improved now but still crap.

Anyway,  what happens if you put in two sticks in , slot 1 and 2?
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 54G v1.8 (C&C Working)
    AMD Athlon64 3500+ (DH7 CG)
    Gainward Ultra2400 (Nvidia 6800 GT) @ 400/1150
    Iiyama Hm903DTA Pro 454 (100hz)
    2*512 Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 CL 2.5 1T aggr Dimm 1 2 @235Mhz
    USB Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 optical mouse
    USB Generic Keyboard (PS2 keyboards don't work)
    Antec Trueblue Truepower 480W (+5V 38A/+12V 22A/+3.3V 30A)
    MSI DVD-burner DR8P IDE
    MSI Wifi card in Comm slot
    Samsung DVD-Rom SD616E
    Maxtor MaXLine Plus II 250GB S-ATA in last Sata slot 8MB cache 7200RPM
    Windows XP Pro SP2 / Linux 64bit AMD64 FC3 2.6.11
    Lian Li PCV1100

Zeus.

(No subject)
    « Reply #2 on: 18-December-04, 11:29:48 »

sorry if I wasnt clear( I was seeing red) - if mem goes in slots 1@2, 1@3,2@3 no boot  will only boot with one stick of mem and only in slots one or three.

agree about the CPU it didnt hit 116C IMO it was software I touch the top of the CPU after unclipping the STD HSF and like u said the temps software does suck

Zeus.

(No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 19-December-04, 04:18:45 »

had the mobo on the bench this morning - graphic card -hd -psu only

would only boot with one stick of mem - didn't matter which dimm slott I put the second mem in

well time to order a new one and send this one back RMA BLUES

dacull

• CAPTAIN
    (No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 19-December-04, 05:31:57 »
  • Best Answer

• you might need to up your voltage a bit, and or change the memory timings manually.
    OCZ ram is usually angled towards Overclockers so needs a bit more Oomph usually, what does the docs say?
    Also did you clear your CMOS after you flashed up to the latest bios?

More to the point, why do you think RMAing again would help if the first two haven't worked - I think you might need to do some more troubleshooting first, search the forum for people with the same RAM etc - I fear RMAing your board will only result in the same problem later on.

Best of luck .. :-((
    MSI DVD-burner DR8P IDE
    Samsung DVD-Rom SD616E
    Lian Li PCV1100

Zeus.

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 19-December-04, 07:11:04 »

Hi dacull again

and thanks for your input :biggthumbsup:, But this isnt may first call for help/assistance I have been elsewhere for help and also been on the phone to the poeple I got the mobo off. but when I found this forum I thought it was worth a post. in short-

the system was stable and running fine b4 the problems

I do overclock and I am no stranger to the problems and issues that come with it

the problem is there with two different PSUs and graphics cards

the mem is fine on other system, also treid with other mem - same issue

wont boot with DDR booster and the mem voltage at 2.9V

adjusted the mem timming manually and still no good

CMOS reset (dont need to look for the jumper!)

the way I see it is the first one was OK then it died. the second is faulty not DOA it works with one stick of mem but that give problems with F@H and a WU failed to fold.

no I didnt run memtest on the new mobo but if it wont boot with two sticks of mem I cant see the point .

I am not angery, these things happen (this isnt the first time a mobo has died (out of warrenty) and the replacement wasnt DOA but gave lots os issues and wham return and and repleced the issues dissappeared.

the people I got alll my system off only wanted the mobo to test,they are happy with the mem/CPU because of the nature of the fault when I sent it back it was tested and failed to boot . if the mem was faulty I would have issues on oter system -none to speak off . thay are happy to RMA it and repalce it woth another , MSI or other make. I intend to send it back and order a new MSI neo and they can refund me the monies when thay get the faulty one.

and if the next mobo gives problems then a agree with u the fault lies elsewhere in the hardware. but the mobo is central to all problems hard to test for faults and all the other hardware works fine on other system (except CPU only one mobo to run it on) and as CPU problems are few and far between, I think going for a replacement mobo is the only sensible thing to do. and take it from there.

I will let u know how it goes all the same and thanks again for your input on my problem :biggthumbsup:

dacull

• CAPTAIN
    (No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 19-December-04, 09:05:44 »
  • Best Answer

• Something i'm not entirely clear on is if you were running them successfully in dual channel with your first neo2?

Obviously you know what your doing, but it's always good just to get some random input I guess ;)

By all means RMA if you have tried everything - (im surprised you would go for another Neo after 2 already ;)

Anyway, do both sticks run successfully alone? or is it one of the two sticks that gives a prob? what timings and voltages have you tried?

Don't forget that the memory controller is actually on your Athlon64 not the motherboard, so unless there is something mechanically wrong with ALL your memory slots on your mobo then i am a bit suspicious.

What stepping have you got on your CPU?

you have tried to go back to optimized defaults and run in dual channel?
    MSI DVD-burner DR8P IDE
    Samsung DVD-Rom SD616E
    Lian Li PCV1100

bentvalve

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 19-December-04, 09:27:11 »

I dont have advice for you as you sound like you know what you are doing but I just wanted to add that for me this was a tough mobo to get set-up and on at least 3 different occations over the course of a few days I though for sure I had a bad motherboard.
    Out of the 10 or so systems I have built this was one of the tougher ones to get set-up right.

I cannot see how a system builder could make any money selling systems with this motherboard in it!  :noidea:  :-))

Zeus.

(No subject)
    « Reply #8 on: 19-December-04, 09:28:16 »

''but it's always good just to get some random input I guess ;)''

totally agree :)

''By all means RMA if you have tried everything - (im surprised you would go for another Neo after 2 already ;)''

for the same reasons I picked it in the first place - best of what is curently avalibe - plus third time lucky

''Anyway, do both sticks run successfully alone? or is it one of the two sticks that gives a prob? what timings and voltages have you tried?''

yes both work alone - std timmings 1T 2 2 2 11 (you dont pay £200 for mem then set them lower when the CPU HTT is at only 200, did have it stable at 1T 2.5,4,4,11 HTT255 HTx4 CPUx10 CPUvolts 1.55 on first mobo b4 it died) -mem auto and voltage and 2.9V

''Don't forget that the memory controller is actually on your Athlon64 not the motherboard, so unless there is something mechanically wrong with ALL your memory slots on your mobo then i am a bit suspicious.''

went though that option with the people I bought the goods off - they said very unlickly- but I still have a little dought in the back off my head

''What stepping have you got on your CPU?''   ADA3500 DIK4BI CBBFD 0437WPAW 1087844J40030

''you have tried to go back to optimized defaults and run in dual channel?'' dual channel is a complete no go!

thanks again for the input :biggthumbsup:

Zeus.

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 19-December-04, 09:35:42 »

quote ''I dont have advice for you as you sound like you know what you are doing but I just wanted to add that for me this was a tough mobo to get set-up and on at least 3 different occations over the course of a few days I though for sure I had a bad motherboard.
    Out of the 10 or so systems I have built this was one of the tougher ones to get set-up right.

I cannot see how a system builder could make any money selling systems with this motherboard in it! no-idea Smile'' unquote

Hi bentvalve

mst say the first time I set up the first mobo it was s dream everting went so soothly ran it for a week at STD the overclocked it and hit 25500MHz no prob HTT255

heres a link to the screens of the mobo at std and 2500MHz b4 the probs
    STD

2500MHz

Zeus.

(No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 09-January-05, 12:38:46 »

well dacull

I got the replacement MSI mobo- fast tracked it by ordering a new one whilst they did a refind on the old one

New mobo same problem - so sent the CPU back - they tested it and it would onlt work on as explained earlier - A new CPU is on its way (delayed by Xmas and the new year)

syar2003

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 09-January-05, 12:55:25 »
  • Best Answer

• Should be careful with OC booster . There is a possibility you fried the ch2
    memory controller in the A64 due to high voltage .
    Hardware signature
    -Nothing special-

DrCool

(No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 09-January-05, 13:33:10 »

the a64's built-in memory controller seems to be a double edged sword.. on the one side is AWESOME performance, on the other, compatibility / difficult to troubleshoot

dacull

• CAPTAIN
    (No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 09-January-05, 14:06:20 »
  • Best Answer

Originally posted by Zeus.
    well dacull

I got the replacement MSI mobo- fast tracked it by ordering a new one whilst they did a refind on the old one

New mobo same problem - so sent the CPU back - they tested it and it would onlt work on as explained earlier - A new CPU is on its way (delayed by Xmas and the new year)

Nightmare,
    Good luck with the new CPU :),  as syar said leave out the ram booster for now and don't go too high on the voltage..

Although i notice that the K8N Neo2 platinum is *specifically* mentioned on their website as compatible, and has been tested at a crazily high voltage.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=DDRBoostermobocompatibility

worth a quick search through the forums to check out the problems other people have had with OCZ ram (generally they have had to up the voltage just one notch).

By the way , make sure you have DOT (dynamic overclocking) turned off, it has been responsbile for peak overclocking some systems (it did that to mine) if you already have some OC on , it can really toast your system.

Let us know how you get on third time lucky maybe....
    MSI DVD-burner DR8P IDE
    Samsung DVD-Rom SD616E
    Lian Li PCV1100

-Canuck

RE: K8N neo2 RMAed and replcement no better
    « Reply #14 on: 09-January-05, 15:58:38 »

Originally posted by Zeus.

built the system and the replacemnet mobo will only boot with one stick of ram in slot 1 or slot 3 slot 2 is a no go. flashed the bios to the offical 1.4 and same problem. this is with everthing set to STD and no overclock.

haven't memtested the mem as it was fine b4 and runs fine on another system.

So it looks like RMA time again and no replacment mobo till after Xmas

any ideas

Zeus.

Had the exact same problem, almost. Mine would boot with ram in 1 and 3 but not any other configuration. But the minute I loaded any game or anything needing memory I would get a total system freeze. With one stick of ram my games never freezed up.

Solved that problem an hour ago.

Went to my BIOS>Cell Menu>DRAM Configuration and where it says Auto I changed everthing there to the highest setting.

Fired up the pc, started a game and no freeze up. I reduced to setting to 200-2T-3-3-8-3 (from the top down) and everything is running just the way it should. :biggthumbsup: :-D)

-Canuck

(No subject)
    « Reply #15 on: 09-January-05, 16:01:07 »

What tipped me off was I disabled 'Full Screen logo Display" and enabled 'Small logo display' (BIOS>Advance BIOS Features) so when I booted I saw that the system was reading my DDR400 as DDR333.

Hopefully this will help others I've seen post here with similar problems.

Zeus.

(No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 17-January-05, 14:57:28 »

Got the replacement CPU on friday - boots fine and all going well so far up to 2500MHz and stable so far :biggthumbsup:

Shame the CPU temp readings on the MSI/A64 are so poor - think it would be more accurate with a mercury thermometer stuck to the side of the heat sink  :biggthumbsdown:
    Pages: [1]   Go Up