Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is "VIVO"??  (Read 1277 times)

Hannibal

What is "VIVO"??
« on: 02-February-05, 06:09:51 »

Well.... I am in the market for a pci-e card and some of the higher end ones are touting "VIVO". I understand it is Video in, video out. But what is that for and what can I do with it?

MODS: Sorry if this is in the wrong place.  :bonk:

Beaon

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 02-February-05, 06:39:55 »

you will have the option of having a Coax cable going in. You can do alot with VIVO.

Basically you can have an external signal send in video. Cable TV? Satalite? Regular local channels? Or another device. Its quiet nice for turning your system into a TIVO and has other perks as well.

Hannibal

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 02-February-05, 06:44:04 »

Ok, SO I can watch TV on my PC? Record to DVD etc??
 WHat is TIVO? vs VIVO :idea: :rolleyes_anim:

Beaon

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 02-February-05, 16:20:58 »

VIVO is a device on your video card that makes it capable of recreiving input video.

TIVO is the ability to record videos and save them on that machine. Tivo is more like a service or a workstation capable of preforming that service.

Hannibal

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 02-February-05, 17:07:06 »

So, If I get a vid card that is "VIVO" Capable, then...

1.I can watch TV etc on my PC
2. I will be "TIVO" enabled on my Desktop to record to DVD Etc?
3. I thought VIVO had to do with camcorders etc, allowing me to transfer video to my PC.   (also on 1394 Firewire)

Is it worth it to look for this VIVO feature on a video card?? It looks just like an S-Video jack, so I am a little thrown off.

**PS** Will this VIVO Allow me to transfer signal to an HDTV (If I had one)? SO like I could play games on my 42" toshiba DLP? :idea:
« Last Edit: 02-February-05, 17:08:18 by Hannibal »

Beaon

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 02-February-05, 20:32:02 »

S-Video is simply video out.  It is not a video in or a VIVO attribute.

You should have a Coaxal in.

1. yes
2. yes
3. I dont know much about this technology however I am sure there is away to set this option up in your home entertainment system and then into your system.

=LKS= KA DRUMA

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 02-February-05, 21:58:28 »

I believe on some boards the s-video will do video in, but it has to be "VIVO".  I think the MSI 5900xt was like this.  If there is S-vid but no VIVO designation, then its only video out.

I Use Ati tv wonder pro. My comp is a pseudo Tivo box.  Now i have to stop playing games to record shows for my wife, not my intention but too late now.  :smash2:

LKS

xavier2010

msi 6600gt
« Reply #7 on: 03-February-05, 10:14:49 »

i think all of the MSI 6 series has vivo, but i know that the 6600gt's do.
with this card you have..
SVIDEO          IN/OUT
COMPOSITE    IN/OUT
COMPONENT   OUT
HDTV             OUT

it doesnt have coax in or out but the quality is so bad on it anyways that it's just way better off without, but also with this card the one problem that i have *(may not be much of a problem with anyone else)* is that the msi media center program that does all of the vivo stuff is kinda unstable. by this i mean it just wont seem to grasp the inputs sometimes, and i even get stop errors every once in awhile, but like i said thats me, may not happen to you, but i know you get the most bang for your buck with msi 6 series though.

spookywillow

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 08-February-05, 18:51:15 »

but to watch tv using VIVO wouldn't you still have to run the audio cables to the pc aswell?

i just got a VIVO card and would like to use it.

Beverman

Re: What is \
« Reply #9 on: 20-February-05, 14:04:24 »

I use VIVO to watch TV on my PC, basically VIVO is Video in and Video out (what you said before) you can have a camera, VCR or DVD player sending video into or out of your PC. (I haven’t worked any with the Video out) Anyway the way I do it is have my VCR plugged into the TV antenna and my VCR out put cables plugged into the input on my vivo card I then use a program like WINDVR to watch the input signal. I change channels with the VCR.

If its a new VIVO card you should have instructions on how to install it and what you can / how you can plug things in, and yes you need to plug the audio in.  :smash:
« Last Edit: 20-February-05, 14:07:17 by Beverman »

JER101

Re:
« Reply #10 on: 20-February-05, 17:44:23 »

So, If I get a vid card that is "VIVO" Capable, then...

1.I can watch TV etc on my PC
2. I will be "TIVO" enabled on my Desktop to record to DVD Etc?
3. I thought VIVO had to do with camcorders etc, allowing me to transfer video to my PC.   (also on 1394 Firewire)

Is it worth it to look for this VIVO feature on a video card?? It looks just like an S-Video jack, so I am a little thrown off.

**PS** Will this VIVO Allow me to transfer signal to an HDTV (If I had one)? SO like I could play games on my 42" toshiba DLP? :idea:

The s-video like socket is for a breakout box which should come with any VIVO card. You plug the breakout box cable into that socket, and the breakout box has sockets for composite/s-video in and out.

JER101

« Reply #11 on: 20-February-05, 17:50:02 »

The best way to use a PC as a TIVO is to use a TV card which schedules recordings, and an MSI motherbaord which supports Power On Agent. That way you set up  the programs you want to record using the TV card software, and then set up Power on Agent to start the PC before the first program starts, and shut's it down when the last program finish's.

I just wish my SLI board was supported by Power On Agent.

Zoomee

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: 03-March-05, 00:21:00 »

ooooh - interesting! - thanks for that fellas - got VIVO on my rx800-xt - will give it a shot  :biggthumbsup:
2700k@4.8 | ASRock Z68 X4 G3 | 16Gb Vengeance
Asus 670GTX@1.3 | Asus STX | TX-850W
Custom Water Cooled
Pages: [1]   Go Up