Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: low voltage on +3.3v line?  (Read 1886 times)

BioHazard71

low voltage on +3.3v line?
« on: 15-April-05, 20:44:32 »

I have an ANTEC Truepower 430, when I monitor the voltages in speedfan or the bios I get 3.07v on the +3.3v line. Is anyone else seeing the same or should I RMA the PSU?

HelpMe

Re: low voltage on +3.3v line?
« Reply #1 on: 15-April-05, 20:49:06 »

Don't trust the readings for the psu rails on speedfan and the the only accurate readings is using a mulitmeter. Anyway sisoft reported my +12v rail at 1.95v  :bonk:

Tiresmoke

« Reply #2 on: 15-April-05, 21:31:27 »

Some proggies out there Like Sandra or others like it don't read every chip in every computer. Like was said the only accurate readings are with a meter. Try other proddies and you will find different results with each. It is well known and documented.

BioHazard71

« Reply #3 on: 15-April-05, 21:33:38 »

Would the readings in the BIOS be considered accurate?

Tiresmoke

« Reply #4 on: 15-April-05, 21:41:26 »

Not all that accurate really. Voltage level readings in a computer are more an afterthought than anything realistic anyways. They are there to so you when something is happening like a bad overclock that is pushing a componant to far more than anything else as far as we the user are concerned. If the voltages go to far out of whack a computer won't even start. That said though a Bios can affect the readings in so far as it's multiplier settings are concerned with how it sets up to interpret the data from the sensor info on the MB. However like I said for a true reading the only real accurate indication is with a meter.

BioHazard71

« Reply #5 on: 15-April-05, 22:00:53 »

Not all that accurate really. Voltage level readings in a computer are more an afterthought than anything realistic anyways. They are there to so you when something is happening like a bad overclock that is pushing a componant to far more than anything else as far as we the user are concerned. If the voltages go to far out of whack a computer won't even start. That said though a Bios can affect the readings in so far as it's multiplier settings are concerned with how it sets up to interpret the data from the sensor info on the MB. However like I said for a true reading the only real accurate indication is with a meter.

OK with that said, if the system is stable should I bother RMAing the PSU? I don't have a multimeter handy.

BioHazard71

« Reply #6 on: 15-April-05, 22:11:04 »

Don't trust the readings for the psu rails on speedfan and the the only accurate readings is using a mulitmeter. Anyway sisoft reported my +12v rail at 1.95v  :bonk:

What does your BIOS report for the +3.3v line? just want to see if its similar.

skippy9146

« Reply #7 on: 15-April-05, 22:19:08 »

They are there to so you when something is happening like a bad overclock that is pushing a componant to far more than anything else as far as we the user are concerned....only real accurate indication is with a meter.

Clouds of thick, acrid smoke from a small fire are also tried & true indicators of an overclock "gone bad" because of excessive voltage! :shocking:

Tiresmoke

« Reply #8 on: 15-April-05, 22:20:36 »

Skippy... Truer words were never spoken. LOL

You did know that science has proven that Computer Chips workl on Smoke? Proof; Let the smoke out and see if it still works. LOL

skippy9146

« Reply #9 on: 15-April-05, 22:32:02 »

Skippy... Truer words were never spoken. LOL

You did know that science has proven that Computer Chips workl on Smoke? Proof; Let the smoke out and see if it still works. LOL

I forgot to mention that the smoke is usually accompanied by a small but distinct "POP" - but you can only hear it if you have a particulary quiet machine! ;-))

"Let the smoke out and see if it still works" has been heard by myself more than once at some SOLO II events I've been to!

Tiresmoke

« Reply #10 on: 16-April-05, 01:11:15 »

LOL I let the smoke out at a SoloII. Coming off the starting line I over Revved a tires old Z engine. I did finish that race and did not take a last place either. Heck once it went there was nothing left but to gun the crap out of it and go.

skippy9146

« Reply #11 on: 16-April-05, 13:43:55 »

LOL I let the smoke out at a SoloII. Coming off the starting line I over Revved a tires old Z engine. I did finish that race and did not take a last place either. Heck once it went there was nothing left but to gun the crap out of it and go.

Confuscious say - Smoking Tires are good, smoking PSU is very bad indeed! :nono:

Long Live Power Oversteer & 4 wheel drifts! :agrees:

Tiresmoke

« Reply #12 on: 16-April-05, 15:50:47 »

LOL Long live getting back on topic. Sorry for the detour.

duffyone

« Reply #13 on: 16-April-05, 16:43:03 »

in response to your question bio... mine reads 3.25v

skippy9146

« Reply #14 on: 16-April-05, 17:48:56 »

in response to your question bio... mine reads 3.25v

Hmmm... That seems to be OK.

I'm having a "brain fart" at the moment.... what exactly is the 3.3 rail powering these days?

Tiresmoke

« Reply #15 on: 16-April-05, 17:53:57 »

The memory modules and some to the vid card if it requires it. Otherwise very little.

skippy9146

« Reply #16 on: 16-April-05, 18:14:52 »

3.25v would seen to be OK then...

SpeedFan & MBM 5 reports mine @ 3.14v and I'm experiencing no adverse effects, even with the OC in my sig.

duffyone

« Reply #17 on: 16-April-05, 18:59:37 »

the bio guy said that his 3.3v was reading 3.07v.  I'm taxing my mem (low voltage there), but isn't a tolorance of +/- 5% OK?  If so, that would mean that bio's 3.07v would be out of tolorance....

RMA da' sucker!  o_0

skippy9146

« Reply #18 on: 16-April-05, 19:25:15 »

Yeah... I think that +/-  5% is the "rule of thumb"

BioHazard71

« Reply #19 on: 18-April-05, 17:05:04 »

Must of been too tired the first time  :bonk: , checked the voltages in the BIOS and the +3.3v lines was 3.24 which I is within spec of the PSU (+/- 3%).
Pages: [1]   Go Up