Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fried USB? Time to RMA Neo4 Platinum/SLI?  (Read 3821 times)

peecee150

Fried USB? Time to RMA Neo4 Platinum/SLI?
« on: 18-May-05, 08:42:20 »

Just when I thought that everything was good, it turned bad. System won't post & hangs on BIOS Sign On.
D-Bracket:
 :yes:  :angryfire:
 :angryfire:  :yes:
I've already checked D-Bracket Troubleshooting & followed all the links.

Here's the full story.

System (as shown in sig below) ran fine for 2+ days, with Windows installed. I was even able to connect it to my G4 Mac via (Marvell) Gigabit Ethernet. Shared files, no problems. Everything was running smooth.

I hooked up the keyboard, mouse & monitor via a Dr. Bott 4-port MoniSwitch USB KVM switch, to share them with the Mac, & this appears to be when things turned bad. The KVM switch has worked perfectly with my Macs for years. Since my new PC keyboard doesn't have a USB port built-in, like my Mac keyboards, I had to hook the PC keyboard & mouse into a powered USB hub, then hook the USB hub into the KVM switch. The hub needed to be powered because the trackball mouse is optical. Here's a simple diagram:

PC ----|                    |----Monitor
       |-----KVM Switch-----|               |----Keyboard
Mac ---|                    |----USB hub----|----Mouse

This is when things started getting flaky. Windows, & perhaps the BIOS, disconnects the USB device when it is unplugged, & in this case when the KVM switches it from the PC to the Mac. Windows would then reconnect the USB device when the KVM switched back to the PC. Windows dutifully announced each connect & disconnect with it sound alerts. I verified that this is indeed what was happening, by checking the meaning of the specific alert sounds, & I could see Windows on-screen notice "new hardware found, driver loaded, etc.) on the USB device icon in the tray.

A couple of times when I switched back to the PC the USB keyboard didn't reconnect in Windows. Fortunately, the mouse did reconnect & I was able to reboot. Everything was OK upon reboot. The last time I switched back neither the mouse or the keyboard reconnected in Windows, & I was stuck. Grudgingly, I hit the reset button on the front of the PC to reboot. Upon reboot the system wouldn't post.

I tried plugging the keyboard into the USB ports on the back of the PC. No post. I used the PS2 adapter on the keyboard. No post. I reset the CMOS by pushing the reset button on the motherboard (power supply was disconnected from the mains). No post. I disconnected all drives, USB, Firewire & audio connectors from their headers on the motherboard, creating a barebones system. No post. I removed a stick of RAM. No post.

I've removed the CMOS battery & will leave it out for a few hours to see if that resets the BIOS. If that doesn't work I'll call MSI in the morning.

Is it possible that I fried the USB ports somehow?
« Last Edit: 19-May-05, 07:54:23 by peecee150 »

peecee150

Re: Fried USB?
« Reply #1 on: 18-May-05, 10:34:20 »

CMOS battery removed for 2+ hours. CMOS reset button pressed. Still no post, & same D-Bracket display.

Looks like the motherboard has given up on me. ;-((  Perhaps the USB ports are fried. I've tried everything that I can think of. I'll call MSI tech support to RMA the board, unless anyone has any ideas that will bring this board back to life.

syar2003

• HydroGen
« Reply #2 on: 18-May-05, 15:39:52 »

Reset cmos and reboot with the kvm switch removed (other has had issues with kvm's) .

Hardware signature
-Nothing special-

Supershanks

• Xpower
  • Manchester U.K. Help us help U post specs.
« Reply #3 on: 18-May-05, 18:36:31 »

peecee150 ,
I'd try as syar suggested as he says there have been plenty of people having issues with Kvm.
CD-TRAY auto opening on Each computer restart, reboot  - shows skippy9146  running a similar PC - Mac setup you might try him for advise on howto (after your rig is backup & running :smile: )

luck

peecee150

« Reply #4 on: 19-May-05, 04:15:41 »

RE: KVM...
I removed the KVM switch from the setup the very first thing, before my first post at the start of this thread. I tried keyboard (no mouse) directly into back of the PC -- I tried all USB ports, then the PS2 port. Same result -- NO POST, D-Bracket 1-green, 2-red, 3-red, 4-green.

I had a long conversation with a tech support guy at Dr. Bott (KVM manufacturer). They had not received any reports of problems with Mac & PC setups, including those using USB hubs in the same manner as I did. We both figure that the USB hub was at fault.

RE: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard...
I called MSI tech support today. My system was already barebones (only video card, CPU/fan, 1 stick of RAM). While we were on the phone, he had me do the following, with & without keyboard (PS2 adapter):
1. a. unplug PSU 24-pin & 4-pin power connectors & press CMOS reset
    b. plug in only the 20-pin part of 24-pin connector (my OCZ PSU uses a 20+4 connecting scheme), & the 4-pin CPU connector from PSU
    c. restart PC
    d. NO POST -- D-Bracket 1-green, 2-red, 3-red, 4-green
2. a. reseat video card
    b. restart PC
    c. NO POST -- D-Bracket 1-green, 2-red, 3-red, 4-green

He suggested that I remove motherboard from case & motherboard tray, lay on cardboard tray that came with motherboard. Connect barebones as above. Try my PCI-E video card in another system, which I can't do. Try another video card in motherboard, even regular old PCI. I found on old Matrox PCI video card & tried it. Results the same, except the 6800GT PCI-E card displayed "Platinum" splash screen, & Matrox PCI displayed the following (no splash screen):

Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00.PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984-2004, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

W7100NMS V3.0 123104 11:29:55

Main Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+

Press DEL to enter SETUP, F11 to Enter Boot Menu
12/31/2004-MS-7100-6A61FM4BC-00

Does this eliminate my 6800GT PCI-E card as a possible problem?

The MSI tech also recommended that I try each RAM slot. I tried each of my 2 RAM sticks, separately, in each RAM slot, but the results were always the same. Does this eliminate the RAM as a possible problem?

I also tried using the Y-connector for the PCI-E power to the 6800GT, instead of the PCI-E video connector from the OCZ PSU. Same result.

Does it seem reasonable to conclude that my motherboard is at fault? The MSI tech said that if his suggestions didn't enable the motherboard to POST that I should RMA it. Looks like that's what I'll do, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

If I do RMA the motherboard, how does MSI handle that? Will they immediately send me a new motherboard, before they receive mine?

Thanks

peecee150

Re: Fried USB? Time to RMA Neo4 Platinum/SLI?
« Reply #5 on: 19-May-05, 21:10:33 »

MSI has issued an RMA for my motherboard. Since nobody here could help me, the motherboard is going back. I really want this motherboard to work for me, becuase I like its features. However, if I have problems with the replacement, I may look into my options to request a refund from the reseller or MSI, then look for a comparable motherboard from another manufacturer. Unlike others here, I don't care about overclocking, I just expect this product to perform correctly under normal conditions, using industry standard components. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

peecee150

« Reply #6 on: 19-May-05, 22:49:20 »

I called MSI & they told me that turn-around time on RMAs is running 3 weeks. UNBELIEVABLE!!! :angryfire:

I'm afraid that my first experience with an MSI product has not been a satisfying one, & will be my last. I would rate my user experience with, & opinion of, MSI at about zero (or less) at this point. :wall: 

I hope they can satisfactorily repair my motherboard, & get it back to me in a reasonable amount of time. 3 weeks is not reasonable!!! :nono:  :rolleyes_anim:

syar2003

• HydroGen
« Reply #7 on: 19-May-05, 23:08:14 »

I suggest you take it up with who ever you bought it from.
Tell them that MSI has approved a RMA for it (copy of email/rma ) and ask the dealer for a replacement .

Hardware signature
-Nothing special-

peecee150

« Reply #8 on: 20-May-05, 00:36:09 »

I suggest you take it up with who ever you bought it from.
Tell them that MSI has approved a RMA for it (copy of email/rma ) and ask the dealer for a replacement .

Great suggestion. Thank you very much.

Even though I was past ZipZoomFly's 30-day return limit by a couple of days, they have agreed to let me RMA the motherboard to them. They will test the board to determine if it's defective, then let me know what my options are. Their turn-around time is 7-10 days, which is reasonable. So I've decided to try ZipZoomFly to see if I can get resolution to my problem.

I was hesitant to use ZipZoomFly for the RMA, because there were problems with my original order, & they didn't resolve that issue well. But given a choice between ZipZoomFly's 7-10 days, & MSI's 3 weeks, I'll give ZipZoomFly a chance to redeem themselves.

syar2003

• HydroGen
« Reply #9 on: 20-May-05, 00:44:49 »

Also i suggest you study the usb front connectors coming from the Antec cabinet thourougly
when you install the replacement .
Make sure usbpin #10 named USBOC in the motherboards JUSB connectors isn't connected .
Some antecs have a gnd wire in this place , and connecting it can damage the mobo .

Another case (of many) of the USBOC connection side effects:
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=65542.msg456721;topicseen#msg456721
Hardware signature
-Nothing special-

peecee150

« Reply #10 on: 20-May-05, 01:12:37 »

Also i suggest you study the usb front connectors coming from the Antec cabinet thourougly
when you install the replacement .
Make sure usbpin #10 named USBOC in the motherboards JUSB connectors isn't connected .
Some antecs have a gnd wire in this place , and connecting it can damage the mobo .

Thanks for the heads-up. I checked every connector from every source prior to assembly. I researched this project to death, downloaded & studied all manuals, etc., both prior to ordering parts, then again after all parts were received. I wanted to make certain that I did everything correctly & didn't screw anything up. ;-))

The USB connector from the Antec case has no connection on pin 9 (key) or pin 10. :yes:  All of the Antec connectors, at least on my case, comply with the appropriate Intel standard.

I followed all the proper assembly procedures. Heck, I even wore a grounded wrist strap & worked on a grounded anti-stat mat the whole time. Perhaps overkill, but I didn't want to take any chances. ;-))

Triox

« Reply #11 on: 20-May-05, 01:59:23 »

I've had the same problem today which brouht me to this forum, for the first time. I shut down windows to auto-install updates,
and thought, I might as well install my d-card (which i've been meaning to do for some time).
    After the updates, and the installation, I experienced a problem, not too unlike yours. Mine just keeps re-booting, no post either.
Installation of the d-card is simple, I don't think I erred, I also didn't use it before I tried to boot up the system.
 :wall:   <--- Me at the moment

peecee150

« Reply #12 on: 20-May-05, 02:11:51 »

Hi Triox. If you can provide some specific details, we might be able to help you solve your problem. The people here can be quite helpful, when we aren't bitching & moaning about our own problems.  ;-))

Triox

« Reply #13 on: 20-May-05, 02:41:55 »

system- msi k8n neo2 platinum
           amd 3200+
           1GB patriot pc3200 2-2-2-5 2t
           WD 80 SATA HD
           ATI 9800 pro
           Windows XP SP2
           Lite-on DL DVD

I get the splash screen, where it says "platinum", then it does post, i was wrong before. After that i get the screen where it says checking
Raid drivers or something, the at the bottom of the screen it syas veryfiying DMI pool, then the system restrts, I get the splash screen again.

Supershanks

• Xpower
« Reply #14 on: 20-May-05, 02:55:10 »

Go into the bios & disable the splash screen you might see more :smile:
Advanced bios features - 1st item.

see Putting the parts together - Build Order  item 10) for connections

luck :smile:

Triox

« Reply #15 on: 20-May-05, 03:05:25 »

Loads too fast to really get any great info, what do you want?

Conections are fine, been using this comp for 3 monthes.

Supershanks

• Xpower
« Reply #16 on: 20-May-05, 03:20:53 »

you have connected the leads into the correct sockets as shown.

Triox

« Reply #17 on: 20-May-05, 03:31:41 »

Yeah, I connected them correctly.

By no means am I a comp tech, but I did build this one, I know enough to be dangerous anyway
Like I said before, i've had the comp for 3 monthes working fine, only today have I any trouble.
The only thing that changed, was the d-bracket and windows updates.

Supershanks

• Xpower
« Reply #18 on: 20-May-05, 03:41:16 »

The only thing that changed, was the d-bracket and windows updates
Good you'll soon have it sorted then. :smile:  :biggthumbsup:

Triox

« Reply #19 on: 20-May-05, 03:46:19 »

Good you'll soon have it sorted then. :smile:  :biggthumbsup:

Quite helpfull, thanks, goodjob on your post count by the way.

peecee150

« Reply #20 on: 28-May-05, 20:34:51 »

Just in case anyone is curious... ;-))

As stated earlier in this thread, I RMA'd my motherboard to ZipZoomFly, instead of MSI, because:
  • ZipZoomFly stated a quicker turn-around time -- 7-10 days vs. 2-3 weeks for MSI.
  • If the motherboard was deemed defective, ZipZoomFly would send me a brand new replacement motherboard, while MSI stated that they'd either repair mine & return it, or send me a refurbished motherboard.

The results...
  • ZipZoomFly tested the motherboard, deemed it defective, & shipped out a new replacement just 2 days after receiving my motherboard. Impressive!
  • They don't do any real diagnostics -- the motherboard either POSTs & runs Windows or not.
  • After speaking with tech support for MSI, & manufacturers of my USB KVM switch, keyboard & mouse, & reading hundreds of USB-related problem reports on the web, I still don't know what actually caused the motherboard to fail. There is no indication that any other component/device caused the failure. MSI's guess is that the motherboard was faulty. Infant mortality syndrome?
  • MSI suggested that I do everything exactly the same as with the old motherboard. If the new motherboard fails (again) I'll have to RMA it to MSI this time, & maybe they'll be able to identify exactly what component or circuit on the motherboard failed, & possibly what caused it to fail.

I should receive the new motherboard on Thursday, & have the system re-assembled by next weekend. I'll be keeping my fingers, toes, & anything else that I'm capable of, crossed. :rolleyes_anim:  I'll knock on wood frequently, & wear a rabbit's foot around my neck. ;-))  Hopefully, everything will be just fine this time around.

I must give ZipZoomFly credit for their fast turn-around & sending me a brand new motherboard. :biggthumbsup:  They have redeemed themselves for their less than stellar response when the original motherboard was missing the D-Bracket2 & Firewire port bracket. After initially reporting the missing parts to ZipZoomFly, they failed to return my calls. I had to call MSI myself, & MSI shipped the missing parts to me without hesitation.

Pats

« Reply #21 on: 28-May-05, 20:51:00 »

I've got  some USB problems aswell. Actually, I got three kinds of USB ports in my system:-P). 2 on the d-bracket and 2 of the 4 in the mobo work 100% usb 2.0 speed. = total 4 of my 7 usb ports workin'. I don't like that ratio  ;-)) .

However if i plug my 20gb hdd mp3 to either of the upper 2 of the mobo usb jacks.. it will just say "connected" on my mp3's screen, but no drives are detected in device manager  :wall: (and ofc it will not show on my computer).

The front usb port in my case doesn't work at all. It has 4 pins (only 1 port) that I've plugged to the jusb thingy on the mobo. The connector on the mobo has 9 pins and 8 of them are quite similar. 1=2, 3=4, etc... until 9 isnt 10 at all.. (am I right?) I used the 4 pins on the lower row... and it doesn't work... what should I do? hook it up to the upper pins (from left: vcc , u-,u+,gnd)?? :confused2:

Denali

« Reply #22 on: 29-May-05, 10:02:12 »

Triox

Forgive me for not fully understanding this "I shut down windows to auto-install updates".  What exactly do you mean, because if windows is shut down, it can't automatically be doing anything?

The loading to the "Verifying DMI Pool" sounds more like a software problem to be honest(aka can't succesfully boot to the HD).  Have a spare hard drive or partition you could do a test install on?  Or at least boot to a floppy or CD-Rom?

/me

JJWOLD

« Reply #23 on: 29-May-05, 14:10:23 »

I hope you guys are not using an older D-Bracket, I have posted a number of times that the wiring for the usb on this board is different from the older boards. The bottom row Left to right Red, White, Green, AND Black, Top row should be the same if the top row starts out Black which the older bracket does NO USB, Pull out the top row and make it the same as the bottom row .

Btw that might explain the KVM switch it could be wired older and not pinned right for this board Page 2-19
« Last Edit: 29-May-05, 14:19:00 by JJWOLD »

peecee150

« Reply #24 on: 29-May-05, 17:11:14 »

JJWOLD - Speaking for my situation, all of my USB wiring is/was correct, & all devices (including KVM switch) are in compliance with USB 1.1 or 1.1/2.0 specifications. The KVM switch is PC & Mac compatible, & has worked flawlwssly with my Macs for over 5 years. My USB devices are not at fault. The only issue with the KVM switch is that Win XP doesn't handle USB switching (hot swapping, connect/disconnect) gracefully. It's a known & documented problem that seems to affect all versions of Windows.

Pats - Earlier in this thread, Supershanks posted a link to threads dealing with USB issues/wiring.

JJWOLD

« Reply #25 on: 29-May-05, 23:50:32 »

All I said was the old D-Brackets are wired different My board did not come with a D-bracket so I used one from my KT266 Pro and no Usb only when I found out the wiring is different on the new board and changed the pinout on the top row did I get Usb. I also use a Linksys KVM switch and have not had trouble with switching, infact except for the wiring this board has rocked running a 4000 Rev-e cpu, one gig of corasir 3200XL Memory,and 2 evga 6800gt video cards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up