Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with a new MSI K7N2 Delta L not installing windows  (Read 2787 times)

gdawg304

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've recently had a problem with memory errors caused by my old Leadtek nforce2 motherboard, constant freezing, crashes, etc.

I have just installed a new MSI K7N2 Delta L motherboard, ran windows memory diagnostic - no errors! Great, or so i thought.....

I reinstalled windows, it froze first time so i did a repair, installed it... but there were still instability problems as i tried installing hardware once more...I tried reformat/reinstall once more...now it won't even install windows on my system. HAve tried with 2x 256MB Nanya DIMMS and 1x 512 Crucial, then 2 x 256MB Nanya in dual mode, then 512MB Crucial DIMM on its own. All DIMMS are 333 PC2700. Still no joy!

Memory diagnostics, fine - errors present with the Leadtek are not present with the MSI board, Hard Disk diagnostics (official Western Digital one), fine.

I have currently given up after about 20 failed attempts to install Windows XP, i have played with the BIOS, reduced FSB to 133MHz, moved the DIMMs around between slots, removed all non essential expansion cards, checked the jumpers, etc etc

The only change to my system is the mobo, now i have a heap of mostly fully functional components that i'm seriously considering dropping in the bin because something's not working and i can't work out what! My supposedly knackered Leadtek, with its random crashes, at least had more functionality than this! Has my new motherboard come to me D.O.A.??

Athlon XP 2700+, 256MB Galaxy 6800GT, WDC 120GB HD, one floppy, one DVD drive connected. Tagan 480W PSU, Thermaltake SilentBoost HSF on CPU, Nexus 80mm case fan.....have removed Audigy 2 and TV tuner cards...

HELP!!!

Sharp

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #1 on: 24-May-05, 22:34:59 »
  • Best Answer

• Hello,

Good power supply  :-))

Maybe a dodgy 6800GT? (It can cause windows to freeze/BSOD)
    Did you plug a power connector into it?

The memory test program, was it this one?
    www.memtest.org
    http://www.memtest.org/download/1.55.1/memtest86+-1.55.1.floppy.zip
    How long did you run this for? 8 hours is the best way to test the memory 100%.
    MSI 760GM-P33 BIOS v1.3
    AMD Athlon II 240 X2 2.8Ghz Socket AM3
    Crucial BallistiX Tactical 2x4GB PC3-12800 8-8-8-24
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB SATA IDE mode
    Nvidia GTS 250 512MB 800Mhz : 1850Mhz : 1200Mhz (Core : Shader : Memory)
    Coolermaster GX450W PSU

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Birmingham, UK
      • StuOnline.co.uk
    « Reply #2 on: 24-May-05, 22:38:38 »
  • Best Answer

• hmm, you were experiencing problems with these components on your old Leadtek board, now you are having problems with your new K7N2 Delta - that suggests to me that maybe it isn't the mobo at fault then

:think:

i don't know what this windows memory diagnostic is you mentioned, but i bet it is not as comprehensive as Memtest86. maybe you have one stick that is faulty (Crucial?), and the others just incompatible (Nanya?)

the other possibility is that your CPU could be at fault. the only way you will really be able to tell is to try some *known* working parts out of a good system....

at least we haven't had to ask about your PSU specs - i can't see your Tagan being the problem here...

EDIT: Sharp, you just beat me with the Memtest link... :biggthumbsup:
    Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

gdawg304

« Reply #3 on: 24-May-05, 23:22:57 »

it was the Microsoift 'official' memory diagnostic, which threw up errors memtest missed; it showed Stride6 errors for all my DIMMs, irrespective of which slot they were in, tested individually. the DIMMS work fine with no errors reported in another PC i tried them in. I also tried the system with my old ATI Radeon 9800, and yes the 6800GT is plugged in properly. The memory test run with the new MSI board shows no memory errors at all.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare CPU to hand to test this out.

However my problems have escalated since installing the MSI board....

having read consumer reviews on ebuyer, i see some people have had trouble with this board - not working with memory speed higher than 266MHz, memory sticks not working in some slots, etc etc

Could my new board be duff?

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • There's always a risk.
    « Reply #4 on: 24-May-05, 23:29:41 »
  • Best Answer

• What is your temperature? Any recent updates or installs?
    Try with only one, the bigger stick.

gdawg304

« Reply #5 on: 24-May-05, 23:33:13 »

Temp is under 40 (probably if i tried now it would be lower than that after being off so long) although new arctic silver settling in after installing CPU and HSF.

Have been trying just with the crucial 512MB stick

will not install windows, freezes every time, not always the same place but always freezes...
    have tried complete and quick reformats of the HD.

Fredrik

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • There's always a risk.
    « Reply #6 on: 25-May-05, 00:04:12 »
  • Best Answer

• How is the DVD and the hard disk configured and placed? Have both as single Master (at the end of the cables) and the hard disk on IDE channel 1. Make sure they are correctly recognized by BIOS.
    The FSB should be at 166, and if that is a problem you must reseat it.
    Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up