Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do i need a floppy drive??  (Read 1710 times)

alzaeem

Do i need a floppy drive??
« on: 08-September-05, 18:13:26 »

I am building my first rig with an MSI neo4 plainum SLI mobo, and i am wondering if i really need a foppy drive, i mean is it a must for stuff like BIOS flashing?? is there anything that has to be done with a floppy drive??

thx.  ;-))

sixscrews

• Military Class
Re: Do i need a floppy drive??
« Reply #1 on: 08-September-05, 18:35:35 »

No, you don't need a floppy drive....except if you need to load extra drivers during install of Windows - the dreaded 'push F6 if you need to install other drivers.'  If you DO need to install other drivers that are not part of the Windows installation CD Windows will look on the 'A' drive and, to my experience, ONLY on the 'A' drive for these.  So, a floppy is required in this situation.  Extra drivers are those needed for RAID controllers such as the Silicon Image 3132 Soft RAID controller on the MSI7100 board (K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI).  There may be ways to make the motherboard recognize the USB system as the 'A' drive and use a USB memory device but I have never had any sucess with these.

As far as BIOS upgrades are concerned, you don't need a floppy (and you DON'T EVER WANT TO USE LIVE UPDATE FOR YOUR BIOS!!! see stickies above).  You can use a bootable USB drive or a bootable CD drive (that's what I use).

Hope this helps.

ss
International L120
Silver Diamond
Carter YF
AM Radio & Heater
Gun Rack

phill86

• Diamond
« Reply #2 on: 08-September-05, 18:36:04 »

hello alzaeem

No you dont really need a floppy drive , but like you said "flashing the bios etc " ,one does come in handy and they are cheep enough not to really worry about the cost.
I would buy one.
 Hope this helps. :biggthumbsup:
OCZ Powerstream 550W 
+3.3v@28a   +5v@40a   +12v@33a
-12v@0.5a   -5v@0.5a   +5vsb@2.0a
K9N Platinum v1.0
AMD2 5600cpu
MSI 8600GT silent 256mb PCI-E
Netgear pci card
4GB Corsair 800mhz
1000 GB Maxtor SATAII
LG SATA DVD/RW 18x
Liteon CD/RW 52x
Vista 64bit premium

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
  • Power Edition
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #3 on: 08-September-05, 18:47:12 »

They're so cheap that I'd put one in. Of course, you coud just connect it when you have to have one.
#1:
MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

alzaeem

« Reply #4 on: 09-September-05, 16:38:30 »

I dont want it coz the Floppy data cable is large and a floppy drive will definetly mess up the looks of my case's front panel, now i am not going to make a RAID array, soo i guess i wont need to install the RAID drivers that came on floppys, right??

also i have plugged my SATA2 drive in SATA port 1, now do i need to disable the other SATA ports that i am not using??

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
  • Power Edition
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #5 on: 09-September-05, 17:11:53 »

If you flash the bios and use a floppy, you can always do it as a temporary set-up. Just open the side and connect it to the board when you have to do so.
#1:
MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

alzaeem

« Reply #6 on: 09-September-05, 17:40:40 »

This is what i will do:
Install Windows on a new Hard disk(no RAID of anykind), flash the BIOS, upgrade the drivers for all the hardware like GPU, etc.
U told me these taks dont require a floppy drive, and after this i will never need a floppy drive for personal uses, so there is no point of buying a floppy drive. (correct me if i am wrong)
thx

::EDIT:: and why shouldnt i use Liveupdate to fash the BIOS??
« Last Edit: 09-September-05, 17:56:10 by alzaeem »

Flow

• Afterburner
« Reply #7 on: 09-September-05, 20:05:51 »

You don't really need a floppy drive,as you already say.
But,sometimes a harddrive fails,and then you need a floppy disk so you can try repair/rescue your drive.
Live update needs your internet connection.
I read several times live update can screw your bios flash,the general idea is that flashing from cd or floppy is the safest way.

To conclude,you don't want a floppy drive as you stated,so get one when you need it.
I have one,and the silver drive looks cool in my coolermaster aluminium case.:)
The beige one isn't ugly either,and hey,the space is already there,so looking at the plastic cover or the drive seems the same to me.
There is usually a space above or under the floppy drive,use round cable and you can put that there,almost out of sight if you have a modded sidepanel.
MSI K8N neo4 Platinum (bios 1.6),Amd64 xp3800+venice
 Corsair pc3200 2x512mb cas 2,2,2,5,
HIS X1900XT 256MB-iceq3
SB live 5.1 + 56k pci modem v92 trust,
Asus dvd player + aopen dvd rewriter.Nec floppy drive
maxtor200gb 8mb/7200rpm harddrive,
Philips Brilliance 109P4 monitor,
Coolermaster Centurion531 2 case fans + airduct,
Coolermaster realpower 450w and WindowsXP Pro SP1.

SAB

• AM2 Pioneer
  • HydroGen
  • The streets are fields, that never die.
« Reply #8 on: 10-September-05, 10:45:54 »

I have mounted floppy drives internally, that is.....I turn them 180 degrees in the bay, with the slot facing the rear of the computer...if you are concerned about looks. You'll have to open the case to use it...but it's still better than not having a floppy drive.
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
AMD FX-8350
G.Skill DDR3 ~ 16GB
Western Digital 2 ~ 150GB Raptors
ASUS 52X CD/RW
ASUS CD/DVD/RW
ASUS 2 ~ GTX770
Logitech Z-560 4.1 Spkr. Sys.
Logitech MX Pro Laser Mouse
Windows7 Ultimate X64 Edition
Linksys WMP55AG 811A/G Wireless Adapter
Thermaltake 1050W PSU

Adion

• Neo
« Reply #9 on: 10-September-05, 10:55:42 »

My new system also doesn't have a floppy drive, and I haven't really missed it yet.
All stuff such as recovery and bios updates can easily be done using a bootable cd (to create such a cd, the easiest way I have found is to download a bootdisk image from www.bootdisk.com and use it from Nero or other burning software)

So the ONLY reason is when you need a driver while installing windows, which is only the case with RAID and maybe SCSI hard drives.

alzaeem

« Reply #10 on: 16-September-05, 19:20:11 »

So i didnt get a floppy drive coz i thought i wont need it, i assembled the new hardware and fired it up with no apparent hadware failures, it boots from the winxp CD and it starts loading drivers for the setup and finishes it successfully, then it says starting Windows setup but an error message immediately sows up (that is before it shows the License agreement and stuff), the message says:"a probelm has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to ur computer."
the is tells me to follow these steps:
"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for harddrive corruption, and then restart your computer."

I only have one HDD in this rig, a brad new 80GB SATA2 Hitachi HDD, i have it connected to SATA port 1 im my MSI neo4 plat SLI mobo.
A friend suggested that i get a floppy drive and install the 2 diskettes that come with mobo, he thinks Windows is not detecting my HDD which is why the error message shows up before the HDD partitions show up, i thought its a good idea but then u guys said that u can install windows without a floppy drive.
now should i install the drivers form the MSI floppy disks?? shoul i try to connect the HDD to another port on the mobo?? or am i simply looking at a dead HDD :confused2:
thx

rogueUK

• Platinum
  • If you live for war & death then play video games.
    • Playing games don't kill people, people kill people
« Reply #11 on: 16-September-05, 20:06:04 »

If its size and air flow that putting you off, just use a rounded cable. Or put it in when you need as they are cheap. I have 2 floppy drives and connect them when needed. For storage they are not really useful due to the limited space (MB). USB pen drives/CDR/DVD hold so much more. I like caddies for removable back up/storage, not the smallest but space is only limited but the size of Hard disk (I have a 300GB one) or CDR/DVD disk you use.

Caddies are useful as long as yuo have USB2/firewire.  Usb 1 is painfully slow
« Last Edit: 16-September-05, 20:08:41 by rogueUK »
knowledge shared is better when aired.  :idea:
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (BIOS 1.D).
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 with 80mm fan.
X2-3800+ Toledo @ stock.
4x 512 2.6V, Crucial CT6464Z40B (2.5-3-3-7-2T)  333 MHz
512 MB Zotac AMP 8800GT @ 700/1700/2000 > core/shader/ram.
500GBx2 Seagate SATAII 32MB Cache.
Pioneer DVR-109 16x
Corsair TX650W +12V@52A / +5V@30A / +3.3V@24A 
5x 80mm case fans (2 in & 3 out)
SuperFlower SF-464T2
Sony 21" CRT
Caddies:2x 250GB Diamondmax 10, 40GB Seagate   40GB WD salvaged. 4GB kingston USB pen  :baby:

alzaeem

« Reply #12 on: 16-September-05, 21:42:35 »

OK OK, i will get the floppy drive, but do u think it would solve that problem??

Flow

• Afterburner
« Reply #13 on: 17-September-05, 00:03:42 »

I got 2 floppy disks with this mainboard and they are for sata drives.
So i pressume i will need them when i add 2 sata2 drives in near future.

I'm inclined to say yes to your question,but i simply don't know.
But you can troubleshoot with the floppy drive to see if anything is wrong with your harddrive.
HIS X1900XT 256MB-iceq3

alzaeem

« Reply #14 on: 17-September-05, 22:07:10 »

can u pls tell me what the 2 floppy disk drives are used for? i have tried using them but i still failed, has anyone here tried using a SATA drive with this mobo (neo4 plat SLI)?

::EDIT:: I noticed that some times some thing is recognized at the begining of the PC booting, it writes some Pin no. that describes the device and there is  76GB next to it (my hdd is supposed to be 80GB), the problem is that i only saw it recognized twice, now i will try to make the PC recognize it then install the floppy SATA drivers and hope for the best.

alzaeem

« Reply #15 on: 18-September-05, 10:43:36 »

Now i have tried installing the drivers from the floppy disks but still nothing, as i said the HDD is recognized and its model no and capacty are displayed (right after the screen that says press DEL to enter BIOS), pls guys i need help quickly.

SAB

• AM2 Pioneer
  • HydroGen
« Reply #16 on: 18-September-05, 11:52:43 »

Your HDD is SATA2, so make sure you are connected to the correct port on the mobo. Also, check jumper position on back of HDD, as I think some of them have pin arrangements for various functions such as backward compatability for standard SATA, Spread Spectrum or Boot Virus Detect. Make sure you are configured properly in BIOS for this device also. If no go, try switching SATA ports, and confirm good connections at both ends. In Hitachi's case, I believe you must download drivers from their site to support certain functions, ie...SATA2 and/or Native Command Queing.
AMD FX-8350
G.Skill DDR3 ~ 16GB
ASUS 52X CD/RW
ASUS CD/DVD/RW
ASUS 2 ~ GTX770
Thermaltake 1050W PSU

alzaeem

« Reply #17 on: 18-September-05, 12:50:50 »

Well the HDD runs as SATA first and will need some utility to make it SATA2, now there are no jumpers on this HDD, only a SATA power connector and a 4 pin molex connector plus the SATA data cable connector. i have it conncted to SATA port 5 in the mobo and as i told u it is being recognized by the mobo.

the error i get is still the same and appears at the exact same time, now tell me, what is the exact use of the 2 floppy drives??
thx

Flow

• Afterburner
« Reply #18 on: 18-September-05, 13:45:52 »

what is the exact use of the 2 floppy drives??
thx
No use anymore,in the past we only had floppy drives.So to play a game or run a program everything was kept in memory,in order to make a hardcopy you needed to connect a floppy drive so you could save the data you created.
Think of text letters and datasheets,spreadsheets etc.
The first hard drives were small in size and after a short while it was possible to install a dos operating system so you could start the pc without using a floppydisk.
To go even further back,first media that was used for hardcopies was audio tapes.Took several minutes to load the 64kB in memory to run a game.Well,that was after the 4kB machines (zx-spectrum i believe?) also at that time came the 5.25inch floppy drives,you could fold those disks,as they seemed to be made completely out of paper(carton?)
Anyway,the 3.5inch floppydrive was a big step forwards,more loading speed etc.So it was handy to have 2 of these devices since a new operating system came on several disks and this way you had to swap less when reading the disks,same went for games that came on multiple disks.
So the pc hardware builders found it usefull to add this feature as standard.And it's still here today although not used(maybe a few ppl do?)
Today we use the same principle by using multiple hard drives or more sata drives).

To get to your problem,you have connected to sata port 5 you say?I believe port 5 to 8 are the silicon image raid connectors,1 to 4 are the nvidia ones,you want to use 1 of these.I read somewhere that for 2 sata drives you want to connect to sata 3 and 4.With 1 drive i don't know,have you disabled ide drives in bios?
Somehow i feel the pin message points to a hardware problem,plz try all sata ports one at a time,also try a different sata data cable,perhaps it's damaged.After setting the bios correct it should really work,if not your drive is bust,this can happen with new drives(as with any hardware)
I knew someone that thought he had a persistent virus on his hard drive,after searching and talking for more then a month he decided to take it back to the store and his new HD he then got worked like a charm.
HIS X1900XT 256MB-iceq3

alzaeem

« Reply #19 on: 18-September-05, 15:12:23 »

Oh FLOW i am sorry that i made you write too much about floppy drives, what i meant was what is the exact use of the two floppy disks (not drives :wall:) that come with the mobo??

the mobo has only 6 SATA ports, i only have one ide DVD burner, but i didnt disable the other ones, ok i will try the other SATA ports and another SATA cable, but i dont think it will make a difference coz as i told you it is already recognized by the BIOS.
and hey might this problem be caused by me currently using a copied Windows XP CD??

::EDIT:: i found something interesting on MSI website:

Installing Windows 2000/XP on a single S-ATA Hard Drive

•    Right after booting off of the Windows cd, you need to push the F6 key when prompted (Fig-a)
•    Next when prompted (Fig-b) install the correct driver from the floppy disk provided with the motherboard, press the S key to specify the driver, and select the correct driver depending on which controller you are using, then press enter key to continue.
•    After this Windows 2000/XP will continue the installation, and will detect the S-ATA hard drive to be installed onto.

I think my mistake was that i installed the drivers from both the floppys rather than just the one i am using.

SAB

• AM2 Pioneer
  • HydroGen
« Reply #20 on: 18-September-05, 17:24:32 »

Since SATA is a native function on modern boards, there is no need to F6! After reading through this thread for the second time, I do believe your HDD is the problem, that is...if you have exhausted all other troubleshooting tactics.
AMD FX-8350
G.Skill DDR3 ~ 16GB
ASUS 52X CD/RW
ASUS CD/DVD/RW
ASUS 2 ~ GTX770
Thermaltake 1050W PSU

alzaeem

« Reply #21 on: 18-September-05, 18:05:05 »

Why dou say that F6 is not needed, ihave just showed u that MSI website says it shold be pressed.

anyway i have tried with and without F6 but still no go, before i judge the HDD i will have to check it in another PC, and before that i will try another Windows Disc.

::UPDATE::
It seems that the Windows disk was in fact corrupted, i tried another XP pro cd and everything went so smoothly, and as u said i idnt even have to press f6.
« Last Edit: 19-September-05, 13:29:18 by alzaeem »
Pages: [1]   Go Up