Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with RS480M2-IL and SATA RAID controller mode  (Read 588 times)

Enki

Issues with RS480M2-IL and SATA RAID controller mode
« on: 26-September-05, 08:33:06 »

After switching succesfully to SATA RAID mode on my fully configured and installed WinXP SP2 box, I found out 2 problems:

1) My BootMagic by PowerQuest is not working any more in SATA RAID mod. As I had 2 instances of WinXP (Work + Games) and Linux Debian, I miss this functionality.
Is there anybody, who has BootMagic or other boot loader program functional under SATA RAID controller mode?

2) I can not see temperatures and any info of my SATA disks (as I saw in IDE controller mode) in Speedfan.
As I have CPU cooled passively a case fan is slowed down to be quiet, I use Speedfan 4.26 for it. My disk is not in cage but in foam and it has a tendency to over heat itself so that Speedfan monitors the temperature and speeds up the case fan in case of over heating. Is there any work around to let Speedfan read temperatures in SATA RAID mode?

Thank your guys for your suggestions on my previous topic :-)

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
Re: Issues with RS480M2-IL and SATA RAID controller mode
« Reply #1 on: 27-September-05, 15:57:24 »

You should be able to install boot-magic again id the raid is bootable.

As for the temp, I don't think that's supported with a RAID controller.

Wirrunna

« Reply #2 on: 28-September-05, 12:38:20 »

Speedfan sometimes sees the SATA disk on my system, and sometimes doesn't see the SATA disk. I cannot work out why at this stage. I am running bios 3.8 and speedfan 4.26 .

Enki

« Reply #3 on: 29-September-05, 07:34:59 »

To Bas:
It didn't help. I have installed BootMagic v.8.0 and the same situation. The menu is displayed, I can choose the desired OS for booting, and then the last what I can see is the message that bootmagic is preparing data for boot OS and freezes.

What is even more strange is that if I start to DOS (Win98 stratup disk I use for Norton Ghost etc.), I can see the FAT partitions but after one or several attempts to list the directory (DIR), it freezes. If I start any program from CD or RAMdisk as Scandisk, Ghost etc. they works. Maybe it is the same problem as with BootMagic. Those problems appeared in SATA RAID mode. Do I have to configure my single SATA boot disk with RAID tools? I didn't do that.

To Wirrunna:
Yes, it corresponds to the fact that I have seen Speedfan detecting my SATA disk in a few cases :-( ussually after WinXP user logof nad logon back.
If any of you come accross to work around, please, don't keep it as a secret and let us know :-)

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #4 on: 04-October-05, 18:28:04 »

Might be related, as VIA (I know not same chipset) writes this in their Sata raid driver package:

“Everest and SpeedFan” program has problem on their coding that could not display the information of disks connected on VIA Storage Host.

As for bootmagic, does it support Sata-Raid controllers?

Enki

« Reply #5 on: 04-October-05, 20:38:24 »

My conclussion:
After repairing WinXP to SiI3112 drivers under SATA RAID controller mode I can switch back the IDE mode in BIOS and SATA SiI drivers stay active. Hot swap functional :-) !!!

It probably means that If You don't need real RAID configuration (JBOD as single drive) only need SATA drivers (device listed in XP under SCSII) then it is probaly possible to install XP in IDE mode and just press F6 and insert drivers and that way makes XP use them. Those drivers have higher priority.

Maybe the mentioned change on Win2000 (djdiego71's recomendation in http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=86670.msg624029#msg624029) on the fly just by updating drivers in properties if IDE device in Hardware device list is possible. Now I believe this.

Under IDE mode DOS programs and BootMagic works OK and WinXP uses SATA SiI2112 drivers with hot swap working. The only problem remaining is not functional Speedfan temeperature monitoring with those drivers instead of generic Microsoft IDE drivers. At the moment I am satisfied with the result :-)

Under SATA RAID mode BootMagic as well as DOS programs without loaded drivers for SiI3112 not working correctly :-(
« Last Edit: 04-October-05, 20:41:59 by Enki »
Pages: [1]   Go Up