Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP :) PC restarts automatically at windows xp splash screen  (Read 1205 times)

stonerhino

• Neo

i'm about to commit suicide...i bought a K8N Neo4 platinum SLI mobo from a friend from a prefectly working PC...i even sent the mobo back to MSI for that free upgrade for the X2 and 7800 video cards. i also bought new psu, new memory(from the list of compatibles modules from the MSI site) and a new sata2 hdd. It installs windows perfectly and when it finishes and restarts, when the xp splash screen appears, the bar doesnt appear and after a 2 seconds it restarts automatically. a friend told me that it maybe the winxp pro cd that doesnt have the service pack  and doesnt recognize the entire size of the hdd sata, so i got a winxp home with the SP1 already inside and it detected the hdd correctly but still does the same stupid thing. another friend told me it was the bios settings for the ram and stuff. i'm out of options and im about to burn it down and buy a brand pc lol. Before this PC i had a athlon xp 2500 with a gygabite mobo and it ran perfectly..then i bought this motherboard and a new psu..reused the memory and the disks drives and it gave me problems, throwing blue screens at installation and copy errors...i swaps memory sticks and psu and it got a little better but still restarted at the splash screen...ok here goes the impossible part. I installed back ALL my original equipment that it was working perfectly fine..and when i installed windows it gave me the same problems as with the new one...how was that possible??...then i decided to buy everything new and it still giving me problems. please help guys.

here are my specs:
K8N NEo4 platinum sli mobo
athlon 64 3800+ (90nm..forgot the core name)
corsair 1gb module valueselect ddr400
western digital sata2 250gb hdd
POWMAX demon psu 580 watts +3.3V@32A, +5V@40A, +12V@24A, -5V@0.5A, -12V@0.8A, +5vsb@2A
XTASY ati radeon x300SE 256mb pci express
liteon 1663s dvd+-rw
aopen dvdrom
please help :(

stonerhino

• Neo

forgot to add.
BIOS version 3.6 071505

mpelle4456

You've got to strip the comp down to basics and then try to isolate the problem: 1 HD, 1 CD ROM, 1 stick of RAM, and do on.  Make sure the bios settings are all at stock values.

Are you running 2X 1GB of RAM?  That could be one possible cause - 1 GB sticks can be problematic.  If so, try running it at a lower speed than its rated at really loose timings.  Test it by running Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/ 

Check to see what your vcore is.  If the bios incorrecly identified your processor, it might not be getting enough juice and that would cause a reboot like what you described. 

Have any other RAM you can substitute?

Have you tried running with failsafe values set in the bios?

Doggy

• Cyclone

Hi Rhino,

Sounds like a mess (>.<)

Make sure that you reset the cmos jumper on your mother board so that you know the bios is all set to defalut.  Everything that Mpelle mentioned is right on.  Go through the steps and eliminate the problems one step at a time.

The bios reset is critical.  If you have something wierd configured, you need to reset the cmos to clear it.  Blue screens can come from bad settings in bios, bad ram timings, voltages and even temperatures.  Check to see that your cpu temps are ok when you fire up and check the bios settings.

Let us know how you do bro.  good luck

doggy
MB: MSI K8N Diamond Plus
PROC: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ (Toledo Core)(40 degrees idle, 44 degrees loaded)
MEM: 2x Corsair TwinX-3200C2-Pro (2.5, 3, 3, 6, 1T @ 2.7 volts)
GPUs: (2x) eVGA GeForce 7800GT 256MB PCIE-16, nVidia v81.94
PSU: UltraX-Connect 500W (+3.3v = 28A, +5v = 30A, +12v = 34A)
HD: WD Raptor 74G 10,000 rpm
CD: Plextor DVD-R/W
FAN/HS: XP-90 e/w SilentCat fan
Windows XP SP2

stonerhino

• Neo

ok i did the isolation thingy . First i disabled my dvdrw drive and when i startedup , the splash screen's bar moved six times and then restarted...theres and advance...it did nothing b4. I changed the memory sticks to old ones i have and did the same thing..so memory it isnt.
FInally i enabled back on my dvdrw and disabled my dvdrom and windows magically boot up perfectly...how a dvdrom drive affect the windows boot?...im still checking if it crashes or reboot again but for now everything is fine...really thanks a lot for ur help guys. By coincidence, the 2 drives were the only things that i reused from my old pc...im installing drivers and we'll see how this turns out :)

Marbin Diaz

ok i did the isolation thingy . First i disabled my dvdrw drive and when i startedup , the splash screen's bar moved six times and then restarted...theres and advance...it did nothing b4. I changed the memory sticks to old ones i have and did the same thing..so memory it isnt.
FInally i enabled back on my dvdrw and disabled my dvdrom and windows magically boot up perfectly...how a dvdrom drive affect the windows boot?...im still checking if it crashes or reboot again but for now everything is fine...really thanks a lot for ur help guys. By coincidence, the 2 drives were the only things that i reused from my old pc...im installing drivers and we'll see how this turns out :)

A que te doy una gaznata, te lo dije saca todas las viejeras ese mobo es de clase y no para q estes usando porquerias en el.

By the way I am the guy who sell the mobo to him.

Doggy

• Cyclone

Glad to hear you've got it isolated!  Nice Work :biggthumbsup:

doggy
MB: MSI K8N Diamond Plus
PROC: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ (Toledo Core)(40 degrees idle, 44 degrees loaded)
MEM: 2x Corsair TwinX-3200C2-Pro (2.5, 3, 3, 6, 1T @ 2.7 volts)
GPUs: (2x) eVGA GeForce 7800GT 256MB PCIE-16, nVidia v81.94
PSU: UltraX-Connect 500W (+3.3v = 28A, +5v = 30A, +12v = 34A)
HD: WD Raptor 74G 10,000 rpm
CD: Plextor DVD-R/W
FAN/HS: XP-90 e/w SilentCat fan
Windows XP SP2

mpelle4456

Look on the DVD ROM and I'll bet you the jumper is set wrong (to Master when it's s'posed to be "slave" or something.

stonerhino

• Neo

both drives were set to cable select.

Wonkanoby

• Lightning

not all devices like that just try master slave

dvd roms tend to like being master but try both ways .........and with it master alone

as some times they just dont get on
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850
Pages: [1]   Go Up