Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Advanced search    

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 40X CDRW won't write at 40X  (Read 13921 times)

rangove

New 40X CDRW won't write at 40X
« on: 22-July-02, 06:52:06 »

Has anyone had any problems writing at 40X with the new MSI CDRW?

CDR's I have that are rated for 32X will only write at 16X in Nero.  I went and bought some Philips 40X CDR's this afternoon and same problem Nero says max speed 16X.

I put a cheap CompUSA CDR in the drive and Nero says it is a 32X drive.  If I leave a cd out Nero will say the drive is 40X.

I have not had this problem before my 24X TDK always says 24X for all the CD's.

Thanks

Jmedic

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22-July-02, 07:43:50 »

I just got the new dragon writer also.

When disk is in it shows 4x. If I eject it will alow me to set speed. ?(

Also burned some cd's and when I put them in my cd player in the car, I keep getting error messages. Is this related to the write speed and the cd's not being certified for those speeds?
J. :P

Assaf

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • GENERAL
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22-July-02, 12:01:53 »
  • Best Answer

• Did you try the latest Nero?
    http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#download

A year ago Nero saw my x16 burner as x8 (hehe, it was fast at the time).

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #3 on: 22-July-02, 12:07:29 »

Hey Assaf,

do MSI manufacture their own drives or do they re-badge OEM drives?  If the case is the latter (all this of course assuming that Nero isn't the problem), then it's a simple matter of determining the OEM of the drive and getting an updated firmware.

I just bought a Sony 40X CDRW last week, (firmware E1), and it burns my 24x CDRs at 32X without problems  :D

Assaf

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #4 on: 22-July-02, 12:10:50 »
  • Best Answer

• MSI did buy an optical drive manufacturing plant but I think it will only start shipping at the end of this year.

A firmware might solve it, but trying the updated Nero would be the first step.

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #5 on: 22-July-02, 12:17:33 »

I agree,  but I find it strange that these CDRWs are supposed to SHIP with Nero and that same Nero wouldn't work :))

I also find it strange that MSI's press release on THG's website claims that users can download firmwares for their CDRWs from the MSI website, yet I can't seem to find any on the website....

Weird  :evil:

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #6 on: 23-July-02, 03:27:34 »

I need to download the latest update for nero.

I have already downloaded the firmware update but it can only be run in DOS. There is no windows application.

BTW the cd's are playing now. Poss a moisture problem in my car.

rangove

(No subject)
    « Reply #7 on: 23-July-02, 04:28:16 »

I am using the latest nero 5.5.90 I think.  There is something with the bios I think.

I am going to try and find the OEM that built this.  As of last week this drive is not yet on the Nero supported drives list, maybe to new.

If I find any answers I will post.  I sent an e-mail off to MSI but not expecting any reply soon.

rangove

BenQ (ACER)
    « Reply #8 on: 23-July-02, 04:38:51 »

These drives are Acer drivers.  No firmware update yet.  I found this in the FAQ and am thinking they added this problem (Feature) back on these drives.  I am hoping they remove it soon.  I have good 40X and 32X CDR's that will only write at 16X.

Q8. I don’t have 8X-speed option in my writing software, my drive is 8432A.

In earlier firmware version (5.FV), we add one writing quality protective function, so not all media can support 8X writing if these media not qualify by us. We have canceled this function and improve writing strategy for some special media. Please click the firmware upgrade page to download latest firmware to fix this problem. (later than 5.GV)

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #9 on: 23-July-02, 16:50:04 »

Hi Rangove,

If your drive is an Acer/Benq 40X CDRW drive, and your firmware is of the type V.xW,

You can get the latest one from the Benq site or an even later one from the firmware site

The Benq one is P and the firmware one is Q.

HTH
    BIM2k

Assaf

• GENERAL
    (No subject)
    « Reply #10 on: 25-July-02, 19:54:39 »
  • Best Answer

• The firmware from MSI is here if it helps.

rangove

(No subject)
    « Reply #11 on: 26-July-02, 04:34:42 »

Thanks I do have the newest firmware.  This drive is real picky as CD's go.

Anyone know how long it should take to write a full 700mb at 40X?

I did a little test between my TDk 24X and this drive.

it took 4min on the 40X, 20+ seconds of this time was closing the CD.

It took 4min 8 seconds on my 24X.  The 40X time don't seems a little high, I would less then 3 1/2 min to complete.

No really a big deal but with the writing at 40X problem and the speed wondering if this drive may be a little screwy.

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #12 on: 26-July-02, 06:06:53 »

I can write in about 3 min at the 32x setting. Dont have any 40x certified disks yet. You can cut burn time if you don't run simulation, but being a new drive, I run it to make sure.

Also it took my cd player in the car about 3-4 try's to read the disk after I burned it.

Assaf, How do you install this firmware update? It keeps opening a dos window. ?(

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #13 on: 26-July-02, 15:15:54 »

JMedic,

Assaf's link to the firmware is an archive (zipped) file .  I right-clicked on it with WinRAR installed and it allowed me to extract the contents to a folder.

Inside is the utility and the instruction manual in a Word Document.

==========Contents of Word document===========

Firmware Upgrade Instruction for DOS Version
    Once you have confirmed which version of firmware you are currently having inside your CD-ROM drive, determine which of the version from the download list you would like and save it to your local drive.

Notice:
    1.you must confirm your firmware version first (How you can see your firmware version,please reference above )

2.The upgrade process has to be carried under MS-DOS environment-not in the MS-DOS mode

To do firmware update,you can process the following steps:

1.choose start bottom and select shut down option.

2.select Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode then your computer will restart in MS-DOS mode. ( or you can shut down the computer and restart in again in Command Prompt in the Windows 95/98 Start Menu )
    Notice:Under this MS-DOS environment your CD-ROM must be detect by system,i.e..e. the Device Driver and the MSCDEX must be executed. Or putting it simply, you must be able to read the disc in your CD-ROM drive.

3.In the directory where you savethe firmware,type the name of executable at prompt(i.e.CDROM:tofp.exe,CD-RW:3.lr.exe)

4.You will see a massages New firmware upgrade successfully about one minute later then the update process is success.

5.Restart your computer and check whether your firmware has changed.

============END of CONTENTS==========

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #14 on: 26-July-02, 17:26:00 »

I Downloaded the file, clicked on it and it self extracted to a folder I set up. I got the word file and the exe. file "vow-dos".

I can't restart my computer in any dos window. :(  I don't have that option on boot up. Should I boot from a Win ME start up floppy? ?(

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #15 on: 26-July-02, 17:49:08 »

Also, since this is a dos firmware, will it make a difference in windows? ?(

Or is this upgrading the drive itself? Like a bios upgrade for example.

J. :P  Thanx for the help so far.

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #16 on: 27-July-02, 03:53:58 »

JMedic,

Yes and Yes.

You can boot to DOS from a WinME boot floppy. Once there, you follow the instructions in the .DOC file.  

The firmware upgrade is like a BIOS upgrade, only that it's normally more permanent (and bug-free) than the mobo BIOS one.  Personally I've never heard of anyone having to flash downwards their firmware for CDRW or DVD. :))

I've flashed a DVD-ROM with "unofficial" firmware- it worked perfectly, no problems ever.  I took a big risk, but it paid off handsomely :D :D :D.

HTH
    BIM2k

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #17 on: 27-July-02, 03:58:37 »

Thanks for the help bim. :]

I've never had to upgrade a cd burner before. Done other firmware from windows before,but not from floppy.

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #18 on: 27-July-02, 04:56:15 »

Hi J :)

Well my other half's Plextor 12x CDRW has firmware which is entirely upgraded within Windows (98, 2000, XP).  In fact, I think all new Plextors since then had Windows firmware upgrades.

Most other manufacturers don't spoil us like Plextor does :(

Hope it all goes well!
    BIM2k

woeque

Same Problems
    « Reply #19 on: 27-July-02, 08:04:43 »

Originally posted by rangove
    Has anyone had any problems writing at 40X with the new MSI CDRW?

CDR's I have that are rated for 32X will only write at 16X in Nero.  I went and bought some Philips 40X CDR's this afternoon and same problem Nero says max speed 16X.

I put a cheap CompUSA CDR in the drive and Nero says it is a 32X drive.  If I leave a cd out Nero will say the drive is 40X.

I have not had this problem before my 24X TDK always says 24X for all the CD's.

Thanks
    :baby:

I have the same problem with th MSI 40x. I cannot cd-copy on the fly. When not on the fly, it copies only at 4X.

I also could not copy data from harddrive at speed higher than 12x.

I upgraded the firmware as well as the Nero too but problem persisted. I tried it on two computers and same problem too.

My suspicion is definitely the firmware. If MSI can do the upgrade soon it will make a lot of us happier.

Can the Acer bios VPW be used for the MSI (VOW)?

rangove

(No subject)
    « Reply #20 on: 27-July-02, 08:09:35 »

Where did you see the VPW BIOS?  I only seen the current VOW on Acer site.

I un-unstalled Nero and re-installed same problem.  I tryed the same CD with Music Match and gave same results.

rangove

CDR Firmware site
    « Reply #21 on: 27-July-02, 08:37:15 »

There is a new BIOS VPW and it is a windows flasher.  I flashed the burner and was finally able to burn one of the CD's at 40X where as before Nero was only allowing 16X.

I have noticed the writing of the leadin and leadout is still slow.  To complete writing 699mb took 3:47 but stopped writing data around 3:17 so took 30 seconds to do the closing of the CD.

I hope they fix this also as my 24X TDK will finish at about 4:08 total for a 700mb.  Not a real big deal but I would think the difference between 24X and 40X would be more then a 20 second difference.

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #22 on: 27-July-02, 13:11:16 »

Rangove,

no 40X drive writes at 40X for the entire CD. 40x is the maximum writing speed.

They all start at a lower speed at the inside of the disk and increase to the outside.  There are 2 ways of achieving this - Zone CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) and PCAV (Partial Constant Angular Velocity).

Zone CLV writers start at a set speed on the inside (maybe 24 or 20 depending on the writer) and after a preset time they step up to a higher speed.  Finally they write at 40x.

PCAV writers start also at a lower speed, but they increase their speed continuously till 40x and then continue at 40X until the end of the disc.

The ACTUAL speed of the writing will depend therefore on the technology used, and the time at which the drive switches to 40X writing.

Drives rated at 40X will also deliberately burn certain discs at a slower speed if the drive believes that the disc isn't up to reliable 40X burning.  Most 40X drives have these "features".

HTH
    BIM2k

bim2k

(No subject)
    « Reply #23 on: 27-July-02, 13:14:13 »

I cannot cd-copy on the fly. When not on the fly, it copies only at 4X.

Woeque,

Is your Drive in UDMA mode?  It sounds as if your drives are running as PIO.  That would explain your transfer speeds.

BIM2k

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #24 on: 28-July-02, 11:13:40 »

Rangove, Where did you get that update?

woeque

(No subject)
    « Reply #25 on: 28-July-02, 16:56:41 »

To: BIM2k and others,

Yes, it is on UDMA mode. VPW firmward is on BENQ site to those who interested.

Rangove, did you flash the VPW on your MSI?

rangove

(No subject)
    « Reply #26 on: 28-July-02, 19:17:55 »

Yes I flashed the drive.  The drive will no longer know the speed down to 16X.

Still slow at closing a cd though.  I tred to copy a cd on the fly and worked fine.

Randy

woeque

It burns now
    « Reply #27 on: 29-July-02, 00:56:43 »

I flashed the VPW and it works fine now - I don't have 40X cds to try the speed but at 32x is 3.55.

rangove

(No subject)
    « Reply #28 on: 29-July-02, 01:32:03 »

I am hoping Acer/BenQ fixes the next version of the firmware to close the cd quicker.

When the CD is writing the data the speed seems fine but when the data is done and the cd is closed is were all the time is going.  Sometimes it seems to take 30+ seconds to close.

Like I was saying above I can write a full CD with my 24X in 4:08 this is complete.  

I like the drive as it rips ok.

Randy  

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #29 on: 06-August-02, 06:39:37 »

Woeque,

I flashed with the VOW and I'm still having the problem of the write speed options fluctuating.

Did the other firmware file solve this for you?

I'm only getting 4x and 40x. Then take disk out and get 32x. Put in another disk and get something else.

This is driving me CRAZY!  :O

Thanks in advance,

bim2k

try it
    « Reply #30 on: 06-August-02, 17:36:52 »

J,

It shouldn't maeke the situation any worse to try the VP.W
    firmware.

here you go

Let us know if it works :D
    BIM2k

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #31 on: 07-August-02, 03:53:18 »

Thanks bim. At work now, will try in the morning.

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #32 on: 09-August-02, 11:56:22 »

Well i tried it and now the damn thing is only writing partial disks.

The amount of data is well under but only wrote 18 out of 20 tracks. First only wrote 11 ot of 20.

I even slowed down the write speed. which, if there is no disk in will give multiple options, but only then.

This is insane. :O

J. X(

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #33 on: 10-August-02, 20:43:10 »

Well, I updated with the VPW firmware and it sucks ! :O

I went back to the VOW.

I kept burning costers. Don't have to worry about a place to put my drink now.

I think MSI needs to do somemore testing and get us some new firmware.

J. X(

bim2k

weird....
    « Reply #34 on: 11-August-02, 18:38:30 »

Hi J,

Sorry to hear it's still not working.  I just saw too that you're running WinME with a 20 GB HDD (not to mention the VIA chipset mobo :evil: ).  Have you tried  Nero Drivespeed or ATTO's HDtach on your HDD to see what the maximum data transfer rate you're getting from the drive is?

In one of my earlier posts I pointed to a V.QW firmware available for the drive, but I just checked and saw it's missing, which is strange.   Maybe they're still in testing, so here's hoping.....

BIM2k

bim2k

try another drive
    « Reply #35 on: 11-August-02, 19:02:04 »

J,

Another guy who had problems with even this V.O/P-W firmware made his life easier by exchanging the drive for one by another manufacturer.  Try the Mitsumi drives or the LG 40x ones.

HTH
    BIM2k

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #36 on: 12-August-02, 06:06:23 »

Ok, this is the message I'm getting after running simulation.

"There is a possible read error, do you wish to continue with the burn"

or something similar to that.

Question. Could this be related to the hard drive?

If I continue, It only burns about 11 tracks of a 18-20 track cd. There is plenty of room for this(MB).

Question. Could previous firmware versions work? Could the bios be the problem? Has anyone gotten this thing to work?

J. X(

rangove

(No subject)
    « Reply #37 on: 12-August-02, 06:29:56 »

Mine works a lot better after I flashed the bios to newest.

Sounds like you have either low grade cd's or hardware issues.

All dma is turned on for all drives correct?
    Have you done a scan disk of your drive?
    have you de-fragmented your drive?

I bought a batch of 100 Compusa cd's once and it seemed only 1 out of 8 would write correctly and this was my other cdrw TDK 24X this was happening on.

Jmedic

(No subject)
    « Reply #38 on: 12-August-02, 09:28:41 »

All DMA's are on, although I read on NERO site that I should run in PIO4 due to VIA chipset.

Defraged the hard drive. Should probably scandisk it though.

Using Memorex and Sony disks rated at 32x. I'm not worried about 40x right now, I just want the damn thing to write a full disk.

Also, there is no setting in my bios for DMA/PIO. AMI (3.5).

bim2k said he saw a VQ.W release for the firmware but it has dissapeared.

Think I have to start from scratch on this one.

J. X(

Jmedic

It's Fixed
    « Reply #39 on: 15-August-02, 03:36:41 »

Woo Hoo, I fixed it. I fixed it. :)  :]  8)  ;)

I flashed BIOS, installed new 4 in 1 drivers and left off the S.M.A.R.T. for the hard drive.

It's burning full disks, my car stereo can read them and I have full speed burning option. Although, my media is only rated for 32x, so I'm not pushing it.

Oh yeh, still using V.OW firmware also.

I really cant see how the BIOS upgrade helped, but I would recomend the new 4 in 1 and turning off S.M.A.R.T. I think that made the difference.

I don't get the "Possible read errors" anymore either.

I am all better now. :))

Good luck to all,  hope this helps.

bim2k

that old chestnut
    « Reply #40 on: 15-August-02, 17:46:17 »

V I A strikes again!

:evil:
    BIm2k
    Pages: [1]   Go Up