Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mega 180 Pro Power Supply Bad - How do I order a new one?  (Read 9367 times)

leonardpa

A few days back, my Mega 180 Pro would not boot in PC mode but the Hi-Fi mode worked.  I searched these forums and folks indicated that it may be the power supply.  After reseating the CPU, pulling the graphics card etc. I removed the power supply and put in a power supply that I had on the shelf (460 Watt Thermaltake Silient Power) and hooked it up.  That worked like a charm with the following exceptions previously noted in the forum (no sound, no Hi-Fi, ugly power supply sitting next to my box, can't put the case cover on, etc.).  I'm going to throw a sound card in it tonight to get around the sound.  I searched the MSI web site and a number of vendor sites but I haven't seen a power supply for the Mega 180 for sale so where do you get one?

I just hit the tech support system with this question but I was hoping that someone here might know the answer as well.

The system is over 2 years old so it's not a RMA issue and rather not send it out for service since it's pretty easy to install and then I'd be out my gaming machine.

Thanks,
Phil

Mega 180 Pro
AMD Athlon 3000+
1 GB Kingston Memory
120 GB WD HD with 16MB Cache
ATI 800XL
Creative DVD/CDRW

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
Re: Mega 180 Pro Power Supply Bad - How do I order a new one?
« Reply #1 on: 15-February-06, 13:44:08 »
  • Best Answer

• you'd have to contact your nearest MSI office (which it sounds like you have done already)

the alternative is to try and pick up a faulty "spares-or-repair" unit, and hope the PSU is intact in it...

Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

leonardpa

« Reply #2 on: 15-February-06, 13:52:18 »

Actually I used the web based Global Technical Support for You web site.  Where can I get in contact to my local MSI Office?  I'm in Florida, USA.

Thanks for your quick response.
    Phil

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • Birmingham, UK
      • StuOnline.co.uk
    « Reply #3 on: 15-February-06, 14:27:04 »
  • Best Answer

Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

leonardpa

« Reply #4 on: 15-February-06, 14:53:13 »

Thanks again for the lightning fast response time.  I'm calling MSI now, will post back with more info when I get it.

leonardpa

« Reply #5 on: 23-February-06, 12:31:38 »

So far this has been fairly disappointing, I left a message through the global customer service web site that has gotten any response, I left a message with the US customer support which did get a call back and an email address but my email hasn't gotten any response in a few days.  I guess I go back to the phones and hope to get through....

twazzler

« Reply #6 on: 23-February-06, 14:08:26 »

This isn't very helpful but I contacted the UK support people using their email form and they responded very quickly ( I was after a new PSU too, coincidentally) -they told where to send a cheque and the PSU arrived sonn after that.

Maybe try contacting them, they might ship out to the US?!

leonardpa

« Reply #7 on: 23-February-06, 15:08:14 »

The saga continues, I got in touch with someone the sales department after tech service sent me that way (lets see RMA -> Tech Service -> Sales).  They didn't have any in stock but they were going to check for the availability of a rebuilt one in the warehouse.  I'm waiting for a call back from that sales rep, we'll see if that happens.  How much was the powersupply that you ordered?  It's too much I'll buy a new motherboard and a case and be done with this issue - and the Mega 180 all together :(.

twazzler

« Reply #8 on: 24-February-06, 05:42:53 »

Including VAT, delivery etc. it cost me about £35

leonardpa

So, the story moves along.  I got in touch with the Sales group on the phone, they said that they would have to try to track down a power supply because they didn't have any in inventory.  A few days later I got a call saying that they found one.  It was only $25 US + shipping!  I don't have it in my hands yet but I should have it by the end of the week or early next. 

On the upside I found out how amazing the sound on my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 is over the on board sound.  I play Everquest 2 and the difference was truely incredable.  The number of overlayed voices on the Audigy 2 is much richer than the nForce 2 sound.  I just hope the replacement power supply has enough juice to power it and my ATI 800XL because I really don't want to go back.

mallorcaben

• CORPORAL
    « Reply #10 on: 07-March-06, 03:25:11 »
  • Best Answer

• Dude,
    I'm having the same problem with obtaining a PSU for my MEGA 651.
    MSI never reply!
    I dont think they realise quite how important it is to us to get the machine running again.
    Ive got an intermittant fault which im convinced is the PSU after reading all the posts here. Sometimes the thing just wont turn on. Later, when I go back to it, it may or may not decide to power up. Great!!!
    Anyway,
    can you post an exact link or email address to obtain a new PSU. Im English, living in Spain. I dont mind where I buy the thing from.
    regards,
    Mallorcaben

radarengineer

« Reply #11 on: 07-March-06, 03:32:48 »

Please can you post the MSI extension number. Without that there seems to be no way into MSI sales.
    I've got the same problem, need a new PSU. The old one cuts out after a couple of hours use. I connected a standard XT PSU and it works fine, but obviously only the right part will fit the MEGA 180 (or 865).

MSI don't respond to any emails by the way, either thought their UK technical support form or sales.

mallorcaben

• CORPORAL
    « Reply #12 on: 07-March-06, 06:42:16 »
  • Best Answer

• Oh no, they responded to the online ticket thing. You wann knnow what useful advice they gave me? Do you?...
    Ok, here it is:

"About your concern, we would suggest you could contact your reseller to ask for a help. If your reseller can not help you for some reason, please contact MSI branch distributor or MSI office near your place, who will help you.
    MSI distributor
    MSI office
    Sorry for any inconvenience."
    Nice eh. They even included 2 links (one dead, one usless)

radarengineer

« Reply #13 on: 07-March-06, 07:13:27 »

I've left a message on their answerphone. There are no other options, apart from automatically getting cut off. The operator is never there!
    I'm thinking about ringing up and typing in a random number when they ask for an extension number.
    If I can get through to someone they might be able to forward me to Sales!

What great product support this is!

radarengineer

« Reply #14 on: 09-March-06, 02:39:04 »

MSI UK support finally got back to me yesterday, appolgising for the delay.
    They said they can supply a PSU, but wanted the PC serial number first to check if the unit is in warranty. I think it's out of warranty.
    Will post back when I know more.

leonardpa

« Reply #15 on: 12-March-06, 13:31:29 »

My PSU arrived this week and I'm putting it now.  I spoke to the US number that Dr. Stu linked to a few posts back in this chain and Sandy was the one who helped me out.  Unfortunately I have the contact info in my office and I'm going to be out for a few days.  I'll update the post when I get that (if I had to guess it was x217).  Actually I was coming online to see if I could sort out where the little purple wire from the Power Supply goes.  I'm fairly sure it's the one that runs the LED when the power is off so I'll look around there...

leonardpa

« Reply #16 on: 12-March-06, 14:22:54 »

Got the PSU installed.  Clock works, PC works, so far my recently added sound card still works.  All is well in the first 10 min or so of getting everything installed.  Also the little purple and white wire goes between the AGP and PCI card slots...

I'll forward up next week with the number and extension of Sandy at the US MSI sales that helped me get the PSU in.

Thanks!

radarengineer

« Reply #17 on: 14-March-06, 06:37:36 »

Received mail from MSI support. Apparently the PC is still in warranty so to had to send just the PSU to tech suport with a cheque for £10. Will take up to 28 days to turn it around.

leonardpa

« Reply #18 on: 14-March-06, 13:52:03 »

FYI here is the contact information that I successfully got the PSU ordered, US MSI phone number 1-626-913-0828.  x117 Sandy.  Props to Sandy she rocked!

The PSU worked like a charm.  The LCD and the PC mode comes up great now!  The only issue I've encountered a blue screen twice when suspending the system.  The issue was with an ATI driver but it didn't happen before putting in the new PSU.  I may need to reseat the video card - or update the drivers but it's good to put the cover on the case for the first time in a month or so.

mallorcaben

• CORPORAL
    « Reply #19 on: 17-March-06, 03:31:15 »
  • Best Answer

• Well I'm glad to hear you have your PSU at last. I've still not managed to locate one!
    I'm in Europe, do the phone number is not a lot of use to me. Mines a different voltage anyway (230 or 240v)
    Aaargh
    I really need my machine working reliably. This is terrible of MSI. The support ticket responded with usless links. No one has or can get the PSU for me

mallorcaben

• CORPORAL
    « Reply #20 on: 25-March-06, 01:24:38 »
  • Best Answer

• Think I've managed to locate a PSU at last.
    Midland Computers
    www.midlandcomputers.com
    Tel 01952 588688
    Fax 01952 588555

I spoke to Philip Brown
    philip.brown@midlandcomputers.com

we shall see, its on its way to me now

radarengineer

« Reply #21 on: 27-March-06, 07:07:06 »

Look back at my previous post. I am in England UK (240V) and have ordered one through MSI UK support. They will eventually get back to you through the support link. Keep trying!

D_River

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    « Reply #22 on: 18-April-06, 07:34:14 »
  • Best Answer

• radarengineer, any news?

Including VAT, delivery etc. it cost me about £35

I wonder what delivery to Sweden will cost.
    I suspect that it will atleast cost 55£.
    The PSU in my Mega180 has an unstable 3.3v rail when looking at PC Alert 4.
    V Core is stable at 1.64
    3.3V is around 2.99 to 3.05, it has earlier been stable at 3.15
    5V is stable at 5.12

SpeedFan 4.28 Reports these readings:
    +2.5V at 2.62V
    Vcore at 1.64V
    +3.3V at 3.03
    +5V at 5.13V
    +12V at 8.88V  :shocked: :angryfire: 12 hours ago it was reported as 12.8V  :confused2:
    +3.3V at 3.18V "2ndary 3.3V?"
    +1.5V at 1.52V
    +1.8V at 0.00V

PC works otherwise fine, except that I get following errors when trying to burn DVD´s:
    Track following error
    Power calibration error
    Focus or tracking error

An extern DVD burner would have been good. :idea:
    Oh well...
    MEGA 180 Deluxe
    AMD Athlon XP3000+ Barton 333MHz
    Kingston DDR 512MB PC2700 333MHz CL2.5 x2
    Maxtor 160GB IDE Diamondmax Plus9-Fdb (7200RPM) (8MB Cache)
    LG Extern DVD±RW 16x GSA-2166D (USB 2.0) (Dual Layer) (LightScribe)
    Mega TV Tuner-Card MS-8606
    Mega Sky 580 DVB-T Receiver
    Creative 3D Blaster® 5 GeForce FX5200 Ultra 128MB
    Asus GeForce N6600GT TD 128MB
    80mm Case Fan "above the Radio module, between DVD unit & air intake"

radarengineer

« Reply #23 on: 19-April-06, 10:17:58 »

Paid me £10, + cost £8 to send so was hoping that would solve my problem.

Got PSU back last Thursday.... with a letter....

"We have extensively tested the PSU and can find no fault with it"... so they returned the original PSU...

DOH!!

I have to ask my self a couple of questions here.

1. Why would they spend so much time extensively testing a £20 unit?
    2. Did they not read my letter pointing out that the PC is working perfectly fine with a standard AT PSU (even though it is hanging out of the case!)

Surely if they had some replacement stock they would have sent me one, especially as the PC is still in Warranty! I'm guessing that they don't have any to send out.

I've no idea what to do next.
     :wall:

D_River

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    « Reply #24 on: 19-April-06, 11:43:17 »
  • Best Answer

• That´s odd.

How to find out what Volts different components use?
    MEGA 180 Deluxe
    AMD Athlon XP3000+ Barton 333MHz
    Kingston DDR 512MB PC2700 333MHz CL2.5 x2
    Maxtor 160GB IDE Diamondmax Plus9-Fdb (7200RPM) (8MB Cache)
    LG Extern DVD±RW 16x GSA-2166D (USB 2.0) (Dual Layer) (LightScribe)
    Mega TV Tuner-Card MS-8606
    Mega Sky 580 DVB-T Receiver
    Creative 3D Blaster® 5 GeForce FX5200 Ultra 128MB
    Asus GeForce N6600GT TD 128MB
    80mm Case Fan "above the Radio module, between DVD unit & air intake"
    Pages: [1]   Go Up