Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bios file download is *.rar  (Read 975 times)

openchannel

Bios file download is *.rar
« on: 25-March-06, 23:01:07 »

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but the bios download file for the MSI 7030 board is compressed into a *.rar file for some reason.  Winrar will compress into .exe .sfx, and .zip.  Since both windows ME & XP can natively handle .zip files, that seems like a more appropriate file type.

Anyway if this .rar is file not correct it's located here

http://216.158.218.35/edoc/bios_uploads/7030v51.rar

syar2003

• HydroGen
Re: Bios file download is *.rar
« Reply #1 on: 25-March-06, 23:11:22 »

Not sure what your question is really .
Rar and Winrar always use rar archiving compression technology ,
Zip is another , now open standard developed originally by Phil Katz for his DOS-based program PKZip.
Hardware signature
-Nothing special-

openchannel

« Reply #2 on: 26-March-06, 08:54:31 »

I guess I'm not sure about the point either :) .  Except that I was looking through the bios flash directions to figure out how to back up my bios before I started flashing, and although the directions were kind of poorly cobbled together they did mention that the download would be in something like a .exe or .zip format. I wasn't sure if the .rar format was a mistake, just another inconsistency in the directions, or a correct file.

And again, since both XP and ME can handle .zip natively, in my opinion I wouldn't use a compression format that required people to go download a third party utility just to extract some files.  Anyway, that's just my opinion. 

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 26-March-06, 15:41:28 »

well i don't know where you downloaded that from, but MSI's official BIOSes are compressed in ZIP files from msi.com.tw

Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

openchannel

« Reply #4 on: 27-March-06, 05:15:06 »

Well, when I go to msi.com.tw, click usa, I get transferred to msicomputer.com.  I click computer products, then download center.  I select latest bios download, platform = AMD, model = K8N Neo V2.0 MS-7030.

The page then provides this link for the latest bios download for the above motherboard

http://216.158.218.35/edoc/bios_uploads/7030v51.rar
Pages: [1]   Go Up