Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K8N Neo 2 Platinum, NB Fan Issue  (Read 1559 times)

ZeshinXTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
K8N Neo 2 Platinum, NB Fan Issue
« on: 26-March-06, 10:06:25 »

Hey all.

First post here and I was hoping to see if any here might be able to throw a few ideas my way.  First, a little background on the issue.

I'd been noticing some serious performance issues in two games recently (Dungeons & Dragons Online and Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion).  Basically the framerate were total crap and that game would just stutter like mad, even on the character gen screens for both games.  Basic machine specs are:

K8N Neo 2 Platinum
Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB Dual channel OCZ PC3200
XFX Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB
DirectX 9.0c installed

Did the usual ts'ing, updating video drivers (even trying a beta vid driver that's reported to help increase the framerate in ES4), re-install DirectX, lowering video settings in the games, etc.  After the usual things didn't work, I looked in the case and it did need some cleaning.  Cleaned it out with some compressed air and the issue was still happening.  I also started to realize there was a rather odd noise coming out of the system, like a fan having trouble spinning freely (like a stressed whining).  I also then remembered hearing beeps coming from the motherboard while playing DDO (that really should've clued me in earlier, I know).  So, sounds like an overheating issue.  With the system powered up, I checked all the case fans, CPU fan and NB fan to see if those were causing the noise.

I noticed it was the NB fan.  All the others were working just peachy, but the NB fan was spinning eratically, would be spinning slowly, then when it tries to speed up, it generated that whining noise then spun slowly again, and repeated this.  I checked CoreCenter and it was reporting no RPMs, but then kicked in shortly and was showing around 1000 rpms, then stopped again.

This has been a recent prob, as I've had this rig for a while now and never had any issues playing intensive 3D games like FarCry or Half-Life 2, they ran smooth as ice.  I tried running those same games again and bingo, same stuttering, so I'm pretty confident that NB fan having difficulty spinning is my prob.

Now, when the system is idle (i.e. just surfing, email, blah, blah), the system runs fine and the temp levels are quite low (CPU and system pretty stable at 30-34 degrees).  Soon as I get into a game, the board temp gets too high (obviously) and the stuttering occurs.

So I opened up the case again to see if it was some hair or something causing the stress on the NB fan (I have a cat, so lots of hair  lol).  I couldn't see anything blatantly causing it, but when I gently spin the NB fan, I noticed it doesn't just slowly glide to a stop like any other fan, it just stops after a second or two.  I blasted it a couple more times with some air, but no effect.

So, after that long winded description, I'm wondering several things...

1. Is this a part I can replace?  I tried seeing if it would come off, but there was quite a bit of resistance and at the moment I don't have the $ to replace the board if I ruin it.  I'm a professional tech, but I've never encountered a situation where I needed to replace this type of fan, so I wanted to check with the community first to see.

2. If this type of fan is designed to come off relatively easily, what's the best method any of you have found?  (obviously take the board completely out, but I'm looking more for recommendations and personal experience, especially with this board if possible).

Thanks to any and all info you folks can provide.   :)

Richard

• nForce & GeForce Guru
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
Re: K8N Neo 2 Platinum, NB Fan Issue
« Reply #1 on: 26-March-06, 10:21:22 »

ZeshinX,

You can replace the northbridge fan if you want to. (The other option is to RMA the Mobo.)

Something like the Vantec Iceberq would do the trick:

Take Care,

Richard
Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
Athlon64 3700+ Sandy
(o/c'd 2.8Ghz)
Zalman CNPS9500LED
2-1Gb Mushkin Extreme PC-4000 (Slots 2 & 4)
(o/c'd 510Mhz)
2 x MSI NX6800GT-T2D256 (o/c'd Stock)
X-Mystique 7.1 GOLD - Dolby Digital Live
2-WD Raptors Raid 0
(16k Stripe)
NEC 16 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
Logitech Z-680 500W Dolby Digital DTS THX 5.1
Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

ZeshinXTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 26-March-06, 10:27:43 »

Hey Richard

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was just looking at that very product, believe it or not!  lol  I noticed it on the website of my usual comp store (shoprbc.com if you're keen to look).  I'm going to head in there today to see if they have it available, or something equally suited I can use.

Since I've never replace this type of fan, how would you gauge the difficulty in doing so?  I've been working deskside and hardware support for about 5 years, so I'm comfortable tinkering with the guts of a comp, but I've never replaced this type of fan, so I want to make sure I have all the info I need to do so and not fubar my board.  lol

Again, thanks for the quick reply.   ;D

Richard

• nForce & GeForce Guru
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #3 on: 26-March-06, 10:36:46 »

ZeshinX,

It is a very easy replacement. If you are going to also replace the heatsink part of the NB fan too, then when you go to remove it, do not pull straight up, twist it.

Take Care,

Richard
Richard J. Gentil, Pres.

LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
Athlon64 3700+ Sandy
(o/c'd 2.8Ghz)
Zalman CNPS9500LED
(o/c'd 510Mhz)
2-WD Raptors Raid 0
(16k Stripe)
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

ZeshinXTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 26-March-06, 10:40:42 »

Hi Richard

Excellent, thank you again. :)

Richard

• nForce & GeForce Guru
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
« Reply #5 on: 26-March-06, 10:43:49 »

ZeshinX,

Always glad to help. ;-))

Take Care,

Richard
Richard J. Gentil, Pres.

LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
Athlon64 3700+ Sandy
(o/c'd 2.8Ghz)
Zalman CNPS9500LED
(o/c'd 510Mhz)
2-WD Raptors Raid 0
(16k Stripe)
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

Tyrant

• SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 27-March-06, 09:54:09 »

ZeshinX,

Just wondering, what temps did you read from the NB after a gaming session?
MSI P6N SLI-FI
Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 3GHz
2GB GeIL DDR2-800 PC6400 @ 950MHz 4-4-4-12
256MB Sapphire Radeon X1900XT
150GB Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD
320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II NCQ
NEC AD-7170S SATA DVD-RW
ASUS DRW-1814BLT SATA DVD-RW
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks THX 550
Thermaltake Xaser III VM1000A
20" Samsung SyncMaster 205BW LCD
LifeView FlyTV Prime 34 FM
ASUS A-45GA 450Watt PSU
(+12V 29A combined, +5V 28A, +3.3V 30A)
Linksys WAG200G ADSL Gateway
Windows XP Professional SP2

ChakkaSol

« Reply #7 on: 28-March-06, 10:40:17 »

Another option is to a zalman fanmate 2 solution.  On my rig, I lowered the nb fan speed from over 6000rpms to just under 3000rpms (according to speedfan).  With the lowered speed, I can hear the nb fan anymore.  Its a cheap solution if you dont want to replace a nb fan.  I got it here:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=371022
Pages: [1]   Go Up