Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mulitple IDE Controllers (10) in Device Manager  (Read 540 times)

mustangsx2

Mulitple IDE Controllers (10) in Device Manager
« on: 16-April-06, 00:42:58 »

Hello everyone, first post so go easy.

Yesterday, got my Diamond Plus working just fine with a few minor gliches / annoyances. First is mulitple listings of IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the WinXP device manager.

Looks like this:

- IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
  Primary IDE Channel
  Primary IDE Channel
  Primary IDE Channel
  Secondary IDE Channel
  Secondary IDE Channel
  !! Secondary IDE Channel
  Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
  Standard IDE/EDSI Hard Disk Controller

I have 2 IDE DVD/CD drives on IDE2 and 3 Sata drives on Sata 1,2,3 all working correctly.  My last board, MSI K8T Neo2 which was rock solid, does not show any duplicates in the device manager.  I've unistalled the one with the annoying yellow exclamation point to re-install the drivers, but it comes back on next boot the same.  What do your device manager's show?  I have updated all drivers from the nVidia website.  All drives are functioning correctly.  Sorry, its a small thing, but I like to fix all loose ends.

2nd question: I had to disable the Marvell Lan in the Bios because it would show an unplugged cable in the tray. I had connectivity.  I am using the nVidia Network controller.  Any issues with the Marvel Lan?

Thanks.

syar2003

• HydroGen
Re: Mulitple IDE Controllers (10) in Device Manager
« Reply #1 on: 16-April-06, 01:33:32 »

There is not 10 mutiple controllers , there is four controllers
It's no error . You run microsofts ide controller drivers and it will be like that .
Lets brake it down for you :

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ( PATA IDE Controller )
Primary IDE Channel (primary master IDE , primary slave IDE )
Secondary IDE Channel (Secondary master IDE ,Secondary slave IDE)

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ( SATA Controller for sata1/2 )
Primary IDE Channel ( SATA 1)
Secondary IDE Channel (SATA 2)

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ( SATA Controller for sata3/4 )
Primary IDE Channel (SATA 3)
Secondary IDE Channel (SATA4 )

Standard IDE/EDSI Hard Disk Controller ( not sure about this one , SILICON IMAGE perhaps)

« Last Edit: 16-April-06, 01:35:23 by syar2003 »
Hardware signature
-Nothing special-

LutaWicasa

• Cyclone
« Reply #2 on: 16-April-06, 02:10:04 »

(storage, hardware) Enhanced Small Disk Interface - (ESDI) An obsolete hard disk controller standard, first introduced by Maxtor in 1983, and intended to be the successor to the original ST-506/ST-412. ESDI was faster and more reliable, but still could not compete with IDE and SCSI.

EDSI used two cables: a 20-pin data cable to each drive and a single 34-pin control cable daisy chain with the controller at one end and a terminator at the other. In PCs, it supported up to two drives at 1-2MB/s with drives up to 2GB.

;-))
MSI K8N Diamond Plus (3.0A)w/2x MSI 6600GTs SLI
AMD Opty 144 (9x) w/Zalman CNPS7000alcu
Kingston (2x256)PC2700 BH-5
Enermax EG465P-VE (24P)
Seagate 200GB Barracuda 7200.8 SATA NCQ
Caseless

syar2003

• HydroGen
« Reply #3 on: 16-April-06, 02:17:59 »

(storage, hardware) Enhanced Small Disk Interface - (ESDI) An obsolete hard disk controller standard, first introduced by Maxtor in 1983, and intended to be the successor to the original ST-506/ST-412. ESDI was faster and more reliable, but still could not compete with IDE and SCSI.

EDSI used two cables: a 20-pin data cable to each drive and a single 34-pin control cable daisy chain with the controller at one end and a terminator at the other. In PCs, it supported up to two drives at 1-2MB/s with drives up to 2GB.

;-))

Anyway , dunno' what it is doing there on a NF4 SLI . It's not SIL cause that should be under scsi controllers if it had drivers for 3132 loaded .

Hardware signature
-Nothing special-

mustangsx2

« Reply #4 on: 16-April-06, 04:13:07 »

Thanks syar2003.

Any ideas where to check on the one that's "not working properly" (according to winXP) ?  I've reinstalled the drivers a few time, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.  Everything's working, just a pesky idiot light.  Checking the properties of each one and they are identical in each group, not pointing to a particular device (that I could tell).

Thanks for the help.

syar2003

• HydroGen
« Reply #5 on: 16-April-06, 09:00:28 »

Try to disable the SIL controller in BIOS and see what happens (perhaps it's in SATA mode and thats's why xp picks it up as IDE).
If you have no disks on it you free up resources in xp , leave it disabled until the times comes when you are going' to use it.
Hardware signature
-Nothing special-
Pages: [1]   Go Up