Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Massive TDR problems on new GT73VR Titan (GTX1070) - only when playing games  (Read 15290 times)

markusstoeberTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi,

so I got massive problems playing games, mainly with Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Shadow of Mordor.
With both I randomly get TDRs where the NVidia driver crashes.
I tried the latest drivers as well as older ones suitable for the chip without success.
I also reset the notebook to factory defaults.
I uninstalled Killer Network Suite leaving only the drivers, as I read this could cause issues as well.

All in, it's no temperature problem. The crashes come randomly, sometimes after minutes of play after a fresh restart, sometimes after hours.
I even got some smooth running gaming sessions as well without any problem.
I tried to lower the video settings without any result.

Today I tried some 3d benchmakrs to stress out the notebook. It took some temperature but ran all the test with not a single error. Multiple times. (I tested mainly the free 3D Mark tests).
After that I tried with the newest NVidia driver (372.90) - again without any errors.
But I still get the TDRs in game.

Next thing I'll try is to disable or upper the timeout to see if I get hangs.

Any more suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Markus

cuniac

• SERGEANT

I had this same issue with my GT73VR 1080, and tried to do troubleshooting with NVidia. They were unable to fix it and thought it may be a bad GPU.  I contacted MSI and they said the same thing and advised me to swap it. I returned the unit and am waiting to get its replacement but I am skeptical that this will fix it. In general it seems like the 10 series is having this problem from what seems like 5% of people that buy the new cards. I'm hoping the new Laptop fixes the issue but would not be surprised if it does the same thing.

SAiLO

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Let us know if the replacement works as expected. Good luck.
GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO 
SOLD: GT72S 6QF DRAGON G 29TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION - i7-6820HK, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB GTX 980 
SOLD: GT72 2QE i7-4710, 32GB DDR3 RAM, 512 GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB GTX 980M

warpedspaceman

• STAFF SERGEANT

I'm also having these problems :(

hacktrix2006

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Are you getting Blackscreen lockups? If so go into GFE and make sure the the Share option is disabled, Shadowplay seems to be the cause of it.

Horog

• CORPORAL

I have same issue with notebook MSI GT73VR 6RE Titan (with GTX1070).
Notebook is very sensitive to changes in graphics driver or game updates.

Now I have problem after latest Overwatch update.
Sometimes game crash after start, sometimes at end of match. But it's very frustrated with so expensive notebook.

Disabling "Share" functions and "Experimental features" inside Geforce Experience , little help.

I think the problem is in weak PSU.

Maybe help small voltage correction or Dragon Center update .... I dont' know, I've already tried everything :(
MSI GT73VR 7RE Titan  -  CPU Intel i7 7820HK  |  RAM 32GB DDR4  |  VGA Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5  |  SSD 2x256GB (RAID 0)  |  HDD 1TB (7200rpm)  |  Display 1920x1080 @ 120Hz (5ms) G-SYNC
MSI GE72 2QE Apache Pro  -  CPU Intel i7 5700HQ  |  RAM 16GB DDR3L  |  VGA Nvidia GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5  |  SSD 128GB  |  HDD 1TB (7200rpm)  |  Display 1920x1080

mr0aws

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I am having the same problems. Always crashing in games.  And I agree I  think there is something wrong  with power management.    Like Elder Scrolls Online the game will crash as soon as I log in. But if I lower the power mode to ECO
the game works with out crashing. But who wants to play at 20fps?    Any word from MSI about this?

primeshooter3

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Is this a joke? Does msi have a laptop line without some inherant flaw? I was just about to buy this now im put off.

ratto.michel

• SERGEANT

I really dont understand, these new series 10 gpu's are defective... i just awaited for it but now i can't play games without random crashes. i'm thinking to replace my gt62vr (gtx1070) with a 980m sli...

SAiLO

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Guys, I am having no problems with my GPU just to balance the negative posts out.
GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO 
SOLD: GT72S 6QF DRAGON G 29TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION - i7-6820HK, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB GTX 980 

damienholmes

• PRIVATE E-2

I'm having similar problems with my GT73VR-6RE.

- Installing latest Nvidia driver results in a black screen, only way to recover the machine is to restart or place it into sleep then wake it up
- Constant crashing in BF1 when running the laptop in "turbo" displaying DirectX error messages and booting back to desktop, doesn't seem to happen in "sport"
- During cold boot laptop goes to black screen with a single vertical white line, keyboard lights up white but doesn't display user specific color scheme, only way to resolve is hard reset

I have come from an overheating clevo to this machine and although I already love it to bits, I am also sick of issues and hope I can get this sorted ASAP.

SAiLO

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

I'm having similar problems with my GT73VR-6RE. - Installing latest Nvidia driver results in a black screen, only way to recover the machine is to restart or place it into sleep then wake it up - Constant crashing in BF1 when running the laptop in "turbo" displaying DirectX error messages and booting back to desktop, doesn't seem to happen in "sport" - During cold boot laptop goes to black screen with a single vertical white line, keyboard lights up white but doesn't display user specific color scheme, only way to resolve is hard reset I have come from an overheating clevo to this machine and although I already love it to bits, I am also sick of issues and hope I can get this sorted ASAP.

Can you still return it to your retailer and ask for a replacement?
GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO 

damienholmes

• PRIVATE E-2

Can you still return it to your retailer and ask for a replacement?

Yes I can.

I've been in touch with them today and a replacement is in the post. Once that arrives, they are happy for me to return the suspect unit.

warpedspaceman

• STAFF SERGEANT

I'm no longer getting any crashes, no idea why, only thing I can think of is nvidia drivers, as it's the only thing I've changed, oh and also I've set it to, 'let 3D application decide'. I also see someone else mentioned this here as well, that the nvidia settings don't like being changed for some reason. But if I let application decide no crashes. Very strange.

ratto.michel

• SERGEANT

I think these new gpu's are very unstable and most of them defective. Before crashing i noticed core clock jumps to 1800-1850 mhz and vcore reaches 1,065 v. I also hearing a little buzzing sound coming from it. In fact when a play without power supply it doens't crash because the gpu's voltage and power is limited.

jbchang91

• PRIVATE E-2

Are you getting Blackscreen lockups? If so go into GFE and make sure the the Share option is disabled, Shadowplay seems to be the cause of it.
Awesome ---worked for me, Thank you!

johnwilliams2022

• SERGEANT

I have a GT73VR 6RE Titan 32gb , 2x256,, 1070, 120mhz . bought from saveonlaptops

this machine is just a joke  , black screen on start up , crashes galore even in comfort mode , most of it is all to do with DXGI errors , and complete system crashes . my factory image has also vanished after windows anniversary update . This machine is not overheating .

games effected , battlefield 1 , 3 and 4 , Titanfall 2 , Battlefront, Doom  restarts machine . Modern warfare remastered just don't play full stop . random shut downs . PWM flicker sometimes very bad and can see it as clear as day .

somedays also the screen will just have these line going across the screen .

Maybe this is a PSU problem or a Gsync problem . or the drivers are just not upto it on these veery expensive machines

I have an RMA going through but cant be collected until 28th as with family for xmas . but just hope they dont fob me off like another computer company that says there monitors are perfect lol .

sylo

• SERGEANT

I've been having similar TDR issues. Playing games like TERA, Shadow of Mordor, and Darksiders WE crashes my GPU. After talking to MSI they suggested it was defective so I sent my laptop for a replacement GPU and guess what? The only thing they did (After waiting for 2 weeks) is restore MSI factory settings and update BIOS and EC, telling me they found the issue and fixed it. So I payed them a visit and ran Shadow of Mordor and within the first 2 minutes, the GPU crashes. That convinced them to replace my GPU but even after that I get few crashes here and there (not 100% sure they actually replaced the GPU).

According to MSI, they way they test their GPUs is without plugging in the laptop meaning they will never see a crash since GPU is not boosting.

johnwilliams2022

• SERGEANT

I've been having similar TDR issues. Playing games like TERA, Shadow of Mordor, and Darksiders WE crashes my GPU. After talking to MSI they suggested it was defective so I sent my laptop for a replacement GPU and guess what? The only thing they did (After waiting for 2 weeks) is restore MSI factory settings and update BIOS and EC, telling me they found the issue and fixed it. So I payed them a visit and ran Shadow of Mordor and within the first 2 minutes, the GPU crashes. That convinced them to replace my GPU but even after that I get few crashes here and there (not 100% sure they actually replaced the GPU).

According to MSI, they way they test their GPUs is without plugging in the laptop meaning they will never see a crash since GPU is not boosting.

my notebook is booked in for collection on 30th December from place of purchase  , my guess is they will switch it on do a bit of testing then tell me it works fine .  by the 30th my laptop will be 4 weeks old exactly . I cant play any graphical intensive games as they just crash . its just not fit for purpose . my guess is also there is also a PSU problem as when the GPU boosts its not getting the power .

sylo

• SERGEANT

If you look at my thread, you'll notice I've gone through a lot of trouble trying to pinpoint the cause of this problem. I reached several conclusions, among them was power shortage but soon realized it wasn't. Here is the link to the thread, you might notice something I missed. To sum it up, all my TDRs occurred at GPU power consumption around 95.5W but I was able to run over 30 minutes of 127W GPU power consumption without a problem. My conclusion is that either the BIOS is broken or the GPUs themselves are bad/defective. The only other source for this problem is a bad batch of motherboards from MSI.

klueber

• PRIVATE E-2

Did you update your BIOS? There is a new file for download. I´ve read in another forum something regarding changes in BIOS Settings e.g. deactivate C-State + enable Speedstep.

ratto.michel

• SERGEANT

Omg... what are you doing MSI? are you kidding us? no words...

Konstantin

• Global Moderator

Here is the GPU SPEC from Nvidia site. The maximum of Boost Clock is 1645MHz.  
http://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/laptops/

System should be alright if the GPU is running with stable clock/frequency. 

sportkung

• CAPTAIN

Not every game has the good designs for each of resolution options. System should run with suitable game settings. For example, we could adjust the resolution (Like 1920*1440, 60Hz), limit the FPS and open the V-Sync for Overwatch.

Besides, we could consider using some tool like (NVIDIA Inspector or MSI Afterburner) to set the proper frequency for GPU.

sylo

• SERGEANT

There is apparently another BIOS update for my laptop with this description:
'Open "Maximum Memory Frequency" option under Advanced interface and set the default value to 2133.'
So I thought maybe this has to do with unstable memory frequency but updating and running TERA still crashes.

helloworld1239

• PRIVATE E-2

Thanks for sharing. This solution could work with my new GT toy.:)

[Adjust the resolution (Like 1920*1440, 60Hz), limit the FPS and open the V-Sync for Overwatch]

johnwilliams2022

• SERGEANT

this problem still happening with this machine . mine was collected today and lets see if i get fobbed off .

and when trying to reset to factory all i get is to choose keyboard :censored: !!!

ayaya1111.ya

• PRIVATE E-2

My GT73VR got the same TDR on before and I spent a lot of time on searching why. Fortunately, I get an idea from Reply #22, #23 of this article. This solution is totally working for my laptop. Thanks guys.

There is no doubt that Boost Clock of GeForce GTX1070 is around 1645MHz. GeForce GTX1070 SPEC

Anyone knows that overclocking might cause unexpected behavior on system usage. Of Course, the system will get more stable if the GPU is running with proper clock/frequency.

Guess what? I searched and found Afterburner from MSI website and adjusted the GPU core frequency by this tool. So far as I could tell, the TDR trouble goes away and game performance doesn’t drop. Thanks god.

Here is the magic what I do for Nvidia GTX1070. I would recommend adjusting the [Core Clock] to [-150] and please remember to press [Apply] to make it work. You might wonder what will happen with this setting.

The maximum GPU frequency will remain on reasonable level (Around 1607MHz to 1645MHz).

After set the core clock to [-150], you could start the game again and enjoy it. I get pretty great results on my favorite games (Like Witcher3 and GTA V). The FPS is almost reaching the same score. Besides, the performance is also good on benchmarks (Like Furmark and 3Dmark).

GTA V

GPU Core Clock

Range

FPS AVG

original

1607-1645 MHz

Witcher3

GPU Core Clock

Range

FPS AVG

original

1607-1645 MHz

Just give it a try.

Download Link:
After Afterburner
NVIDIA Inspector

Hope this will help you, too.

Good Luck, guys.

tapa-rasa

• SERGEANT

Or just flash your VBIOS cause standart is corrupted. It overclocks your VCard to 1999 MHz.
Большому дракону - большая торпеда

george.mathews

• PRIVATE E-2

I have the same problem with my GT73VR TITAN. Constant Nvidia kernel crashes while ingame. I will try downloading MSI Afterburner and adjusting it to -150. Will let ya guys know! Also, how do you update Vbios?

george.mathews

• PRIVATE E-2

Tried MSI Afterburner. After about 2 hours of Total war warhammer it crashed with TDR error. I will look into Vbios as soon as I find out how to update Vbios.

sportkung

• CAPTAIN

Hi george.mathews,

I'm just curious. What is your maximum frequency when set [-150] with AfterBurner?

Maybe you could export the whole system information by latest Help Desk and post that info in here. Let forum guys to help you to check the system configuration and software environment.

dleigh.mail

• CORPORAL

I tried down clocking as far as afterburner lets me and I still get the crashes.  I am using the debug vbios at the moment and except for the terrible fps in games like witcher 3 and arma 3 it doesn't crash anymore though I haven't run a proper stress test yet.

huber_111690

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi everyone

I have a GT73VR TITAN SLI, and had similar issues. Actually, with SLI enabled the system was restarting itself instead of just crashing.

By using Afterburner's Voltage/Frequency curve editor I could make the system run stable.
All I did was to move all values greater than 1645 MHz down to 1645MHz, creating a flat region in the curve, and the system has been working perfectly since then, no more crashes.

A few things to have in mind:
- Even if you check "Apply at startup" option in Afterburner, it won't work. It seems that DragonCenter overrides Afterburner's settings. So you have to manually open Afterburner, or delay its automatic start up.
- Some events that shut down the screen also can cause Afterburner's settings to be overridden by original settings. E. g. after installing NVIDIA's driver, after waking up the system from suspension, changing resolution, etc. So don't forget to check/reapply Afterburner's settings for those cases.
- Having G-Sync enabled seems to make the system unstable too, no matter if Voltage/Frequency curve is adjusted so, preferently, disable it.

You can give it a try, hopefully it will work.

toro1979

• PRIVATE E-2

dolek3

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

This bios rly helped me... GPU clock doesn't go above 1745 (before it went over 2000 mhz). Now i don't have any problems in Guild Wars 2, Black Desert and Overwatch... I posted earlier a video with my problems... then i RMA notebook after new came i still had problems with GW2... now everything works smooth... I run 3DMark and 3DMark 11 and results are almost same (1k more points in 3D 11 fire strike 1920x1080... earlier i had 15k now over 16k but i think its due to new drivers... the old result was made in december.

Can you post a link to source of this vbios? I would rly track if there will be new (upgraded) version in future.
GT73VR 6RE Titan (Full HD 120 MHz 5ms)

guiot.lucas

• SERGEANT

http://benyouhui.it168.com/thread-5742581-1-1.html

i don't speak Chinese but if someone find a new version tell us :)

street

• STAFF SERGEANT

Here is the GPU SPEC from Nvidia site. The maximum of Boost Clock is 1645MHz.  
http://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/laptops/

System should be alright if the GPU is running with stable clock/frequency.
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]

Some manufacturers use their own cooling system, in this case, the 1070 should be working fine above 1645mhz.

The shift mode or turbo mode, are there for something.

This is not normal, that you cant OC the graphics card.

street

• STAFF SERGEANT

I had this same issue with my GT73VR 1080, and tried to do troubleshooting with NVidia. They were unable to fix it and thought it may be a bad GPU.  I contacted MSI and they said the same thing and advised me to swap it. I returned the unit and am waiting to get its replacement but I am skeptical that this will fix it. In general it seems like the 10 series is having this problem from what seems like 5% of people that buy the new cards. I'm hoping the new Laptop fixes the issue but would not be surprised if it does the same thing.

Your replacement works good?

Guys, I am having no problems with my GPU just to balance the negative posts out.

Whats your laptop? are you using default vbios?

--------

For those with chinese vbios 1650mhz, your graphics card was designed to reach 1900mhz with default boost mode.

Dont accept that solution to fix your 2000€ laptop, we need to show that we are not happy with this situation.

"The render test of GPU-Z was executed with up to 1900 MHz in the case of the GT62VR"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT62VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.171215.0.html

Nvidia "only" advertises a Turbo range of 1443-1645 MHz, but the chip can reach up to 1900 MHz (GPU-Z Render test)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-15-R3-Notebook-Review.196584.0.html

gincor89

• PRIVATE E-2

I used the 86.04.5B.00.8A.zip file, but now I am getting massive frame drops in all games. Anyone else having this problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up