Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I flash the BIOS without a CPU on the Tomahawk b450?  (Read 19679 times)

andrei391Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi, I've never purchased a MSI product before but this will be my first one, I'm wondering how do I flash the bios with the Flashback+ button.

I'm looking for the new Ryzen 3000 series and I don't have any older cpu to flash the bios and I've heard that with this Motherboard I can flash it without even a CPU on it!

Thanks beforehand
Marked as best answer by andrei391 on 25-June-19, 08:20:17

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
This mobo has Flashback+, so a CPU is not required to update bios. To use it do that:
- Download >>Bios V1.82<<.
- Extract then copy the file "E7C02AMS.182" on the empty root of the USB pen (no more than 16GB and FAT32 (not FAT) partition).
- Rename "E7C02AMS.182" to "MSI.ROM".
- Power off.
- Plug the pen in the Flashback+ port on the back panel:

- Power on and wait 5s.
- Press the Flash Bios button on the back panel (see upper figure).
   Does the Flash Bios LED (+ USB pen light if there is) flash (you could have to wait around 2mn)?
     . If definitvely not, try with another USB pen because Flashback+ seems to not recognize some model (I don't know why).
     . If yes, be patient because load process can run up to 10mn.
- If Flashback+ has goodly ended, power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait 10s after all mobo's leds light off.
To finish, one remark: if you do not use a Ryzen 3000, load rather >>Bios V1.50<< (E7C02AMS.150). V1.70 and 1.82 are buggy for current CPUs and AMD (not MSI) refuses any downgrade from them (fortunately a tool permit to do that).
Have a good day,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

andrei391Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello,
This mobo has Flashback+, so a CPU is not required to update bios. To use it do that:
- Extract then copy the file "E7C02AMS.182" on the empty root of the USB pen (no more than 16GB and FAT32 (not FAT) partition).
- Power off.
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
- Power on and wait 5s.
   Does the Flash Bios LED (+ USB pen light if there is) flash (you could have to wait around 2mn)?
     . If definitvely not, try with another USB pen because Flashback+ seems to not recognize some model (I don't know why).
- If Flashback+ has goodly ended, power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait 10s after all mobo's leds light off.
To finish, one remark: if you do not use a Ryzen 3000, load rather >>Bios V1.50<< (E7C02AMS.150). V1.70 and 1.82 are buggy for current CPUs and AMD (not MSI) refuses any downgrade from them (fortunately a tool permit to do that).
Have a good day,

Woooow! Really useful, thanks a lot!!

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR

You are :welcome: 
Have a nice day,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hello,
- Power off.
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
- Power on and wait 5s.
Have a good day,
-------------

I Have a question, i have a b450 gaming plus Mobo freshly bought, should i just download the **latest** bios and follow this procedure? (I have ryzen 5 3600 processor and no older gen processor). I am not sure if i have to download the latest driver or just the one that corrects that issue.. Thanks in advance

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR

I Have a question, i have a b450 gaming plus Mobo freshly bought, should i just download the **latest** bios and follow this procedure? (I have ryzen 5 3600 processor and no older gen processor).
Yes, you can use Flashback+ to load direcly >>Bios V1.B2<< (E7B86AMS.1B2).
Have a good day,

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Yes, you can use Flashback+ to load direcly >>Bios V1.B2<< (E7B86AMS.1B2).
Have a good day,
----------

Thanks my friend for the fast answer ! Anyway the latest bios is somewhy not available and i think they have realesed it today. So i will stick to the version right before the beta One that has just been released. Thanks again

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: How do I flash the BIOS without a CPU on the Tomahawk b450?
« Reply #7 on: 01-September-19, 04:51:24 »

Hi again.. i just wanted to be 100% sure.. so you said that i have to install the latest bios right and not just the one that implements new ryzen processors support? I am asking this because msi bios updates are very small sized and that makes me think that they are "progressive updates" which means that one update doesn't implement the features of the previous one..can you clarify this to me please?

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
No, they are not incremental but full updates. You can load directly the last available bios retailed version: V1.A0. Load the beta version (currently, V1.B4), who is also a full update, only if you have issue with the previous retailed one.
Have a good day,

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 04-September-19, 15:35:32 »

Okay man thanks a lot, i have another last question for you..the only usb pen drive with a led that i have is 32gb of memory..wil be that a problem? Or should i stick with a non led pen drive of 8gb? I am scared , i don't want to break the mobo thanks in advance !

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
Use the 8GB pen drive even it has not LED. Look at the bios flash LED to see if update process works:
- At start, the LED should flash quickly 3-30 times then light off 10-90s,
- During update (up to 10mn), it should flash slowly.
- At end, it should light off (for recent mobo models, the pc should even shutdown or restart).
I am scared, i don't want to break the mobo
Once bios file copied and renamed on the pen drive, it should be a good idea to verify it with CHKDSK. If there is error, format it, copy-rename the bios file and redo a CHKDSK.
Have a good day,

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #11 on: 04-September-19, 15:55:17 »

Thank you a lot !! ♥️You saved me !

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #12 on: 04-September-19, 16:18:49 »

You are :welcome: 

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #13 on: 05-September-19, 13:04:43 »

Hi i tried this procedure and Everything seemed to have gone well. Then i started my pc, it didnt't ask me to configure the bios or anything ,there was just a screen saying "plug in any data drive to install an operating system" or something like that. So i restarted and i started installing windows using my pen drive..at 50% of the installation the red ez cpu debug led lighted up and the screen(not the pc) shut down. Now i tried unplugging the power cord and restarting but now the cpu led is lighted up and i can't do anything..
I had this problem before(i thought to have tighten too much the heatsink to the cpu) and reinstalling the cpu with the heatsink seemed to solve that. But after the system crashed during the installation i am not sure
if it is a bios problem or if i have to configure something.
NOTE: i didnt't plug the reset switch into the mobo because i read that it could make conflicts.
NOTE #2: i installed the latest NOT beta bios.. i have a ryzen 3600.
What can i do??

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #14 on: 05-September-19, 13:10:50 »

In case i have to reflash the bios.. do i have to unplug everything from my mobo or just the processor(with the heatsink)?

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR

In case i have to reflash the bios.. do i have to unplug everything from my mobo or just the processor(with the heatsink)?
It is not required to unplug components, even the CPU. Flashback+ needs only the PSU but it can work will any other component in place.
Have a good day,

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR

Hi i tried this procedure and Everything seemed to have gone well. Then i started my pc, it didnt't ask me to configure the bios or anything ,there was just a screen saying "plug in any data drive to install an operating system" or something like that.
:biggthumbsup: Flashback+ has worked!
So i restarted and i started installing windows using my pen drive..at 50% of the installation the red ez cpu debug led lighted up and the screen(not the pc) shut down. Now i tried unplugging the power cord and restarting but now the cpu led is lighted up and i can't do anything..
I had this problem before (i thought to have tighten too much the heatsink to the cpu) and reinstalling the cpu with the heatsink seemed to solve that. But after the system crashed during the installation i am not sure
if it is a bios problem or if i have to configure something.
NOTE: i didnt't plug the reset switch into the mobo because i read that it could make conflicts.
NOTE #2: i installed the latest NOT beta bios.. i have a ryzen 3600.
What can i do??
Bios is not the culprit. I suggest to open another topic because your problem is not related to bios flash. Give all your configuration, including PSU and monitor models. Explains also the problem and what you have tried.
See you soon,

insanityrisel

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #17 on: 05-September-19, 18:11:41 »

:biggthumbsup: Flashback+ has worked!Bios is not the culprit. I suggest to open another topic because your problem is not related to bios flash. Give all your configuration, including PSU and monitor models. Explains also the problem and what you have tried.
See you soon,
hi, at the end i changed the bios with the beta one(latest) and now i don't have any problem at all ! Thanks again for all the support given !

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #18 on: 05-September-19, 23:42:33 »

hi, at the end i changed the bios with the beta one(latest) and now i don't have any problem at all ! Thanks again for all the support given !
Good news, happy for you! :pompom:
Glad to have been able to help.
Have a nice day,

rsigha03

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #19 on: 25-February-20, 13:22:43 »

Hi does it work on any msi motherboard and any processor ?

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #20 on: 25-February-20, 16:34:08 »

Hi does it work on any msi motherboard?
1/ Flashback+ is available only on some mobo, not all MSI.
and any processor?
2/ CPU is not required to run Flashback+.
Have a good day,
PS : if you have another questions, do not resurrect old topics but open a new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up