Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Unify - Low Write/Read speeds for SSD drives  (Read 2307 times)

mojehey398Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
MSI Unify - Low Write/Read speeds for SSD drives
« on: 28-December-19, 10:54:14 »

The issue:

My SATA SSD (Samsung Evo 850) is performing significantly worse on this board than it did in my old system (Intel Z97). Around 50-70 MB/s lower sequential Read and Write speeds and up to 100 MB/s lower for random Writes/Read.

The m.2 nvme drive (ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro) is also not performing up to specs, nearly 1000 MB/s lower Reads and Writes.

This seems to be a common issue among MSI X570 boards, including at least the MSI Gaming Edge. With different drives, even.

I have also asked other people using an MSI Unify to confirm this issue so this is not just a problem I am facing with my board. So there seems to be a more general issue among X570 MSI boards going on. Other mobo vendors do not have this issue.

What I tried:

CMOS reset, loading default values in bios, updating to the newest official bios or even trying AMD specific SATA drivers did not work. Changing ports did not work.

Not that I expected them to since - like I said - other people have the same issue. This appears to be an issue in the bios of the Mobo itself. Maybe an update could fix this, maybe not. I don't know.

Do any of you know what to do here?

Chike

• GENERAL
Re: MSI Unify - Low Write/Read speeds for SSD drives
« Reply #1 on: 28-December-19, 11:01:54 »

The first thing to do is contact msi and tell them how unhappy you are
>>How to contact MSI<<

What is bios version?
Latest chpset drivers from amd/msi site?
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K R2.0 BIOS ver. 0903 2/26/2016
CPU: i5-4670k
Cooler: CNPS10x Performa
Memory: F3-2400C11D-16GXM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 FTW ACX 2.0
SSD: 1. Samsung PM981 512GB, 2.  SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB
HDD: WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0
PSU: Antec 500W VP500PC
OS: Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Case: Compucase 6C60

mojehey398Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 28-December-19, 11:09:44 »

The first thing to do is contact msi and tell them how unhappy you are
>>How to contact MSI<<

What is bios version?
Latest chpset drivers from amd/msi site?

Bios is 7C35vA2 which is the latest public bios. And same for the AMD chipset drivers downloaded from the AMD site itself. But like I said, Windows 10 is not even using the AMD drivers for SATA. This isn't a software issue, I'm afraid.

I'll try using your link but I am not sure what to expect. Surely this is a known bug by now?

EDIT: Well, no clue why the formatting looks this weird.

Chike

• GENERAL

I don't know what is know or not, but there were 2 bios updates and it's still not fixed.
Won't do no harm to put a bit of pressure on them to speed it up.

When you quote you need to use down arrow until the caret is out of the quoted text, or click the right icon in editor toolbar and type after [/quote]
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K R2.0 BIOS ver. 0903 2/26/2016
CPU: i5-4670k
Cooler: CNPS10x Performa
Memory: F3-2400C11D-16GXM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 FTW ACX 2.0
SSD: 1. Samsung PM981 512GB, 2.  SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB
HDD: WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0
PSU: Antec 500W VP500PC
OS: Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Case: Compucase 6C60

mojehey398Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 28-December-19, 11:40:02 »

Thanks.

I created a web ticket, hope that'll help.

mojehey398Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 30-December-19, 07:00:22 »

MSI Tech Support replied to my ticket:

"Regarding your concern, we are sorry, from the image, the speed of the SATA SSD is in the normal range, different motherboards and devices may have a little difference in speed, which is normal."

Unbelievable. The drive lost 100 MB/s (nearly 50%!) of it's performance for random writes and reads. And they think it is normal?!

This doesn't happen on a Gigabyte, Asrock or Asus x570 board. Just MSI.

Very unfortunate. I can only recommend people stay away from this board if you value the performance on your drives that you actually paid for.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 30-December-19, 07:07:02 »

Hi

I have recently contacted MSI about this in regards to one of users on PL forum, and it appears that it's a case with AMD itself that needs to fix it. They have tested few drives with different SATA controllers on other branded boards and issue was the same.

I've attached a screenshot I got from my contact and it relates to Micron SSD. Got more, but no point including it. I can say that issue relates to controller Marvell 88SS1074 used by Micron, WD and some others, while issue didn't occur on controller Silicon Motion SM2258H used in Crucial SSD.

In regards to ADATA drive, I see it underperforming very often and not just on X570 chipset. Might be relating to its cheap design/components.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Errors are red, My screen is blue .I think I deleted, System32.
99% of issues would be solved if people would read the manual first.

mojehey398Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 30-December-19, 09:03:31 »

Thanks for your reply.

So far I have only seen people with MSI boards complain about the issue and on the Unify we don't have to deal with ASMedia SATA ports either.

You can also add Samsung SATA SSDs to that list then with the EVO series and probably more.

You'd think a system with a Mobo that cost three times as much as the previous and isn't 5 years old that it would perform better - or at least the same. Also having to deal with Wifi 6 errors on top of it really soured me on MSI.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator

Unify is affected as well. I don't have any more info but it's AMD that needs to do something about it.
Other brands' motherboards might be using different SATA controllers but can't really say.
Anyway, MSI is aware of this SATA controller issue and should be chasing AMD about this.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

mojehey398Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 30-December-19, 14:48:11 »

Thanks, that's good to know.

The web ticket response indicated anything but that MSI was aware of it or even bothering to do anything about it.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator

Support doesn't necessarily know everything really, they use what they have on hand. Issues we, moderators, find are reported to other people who usually seek to duplicate the issue and seek solutions.

Delta9K

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 04-January-20, 20:21:41 »

Hi,
just want to share my experience with SSD Read/Write performance on the MEG x570 Unify, and that is, that I have not experienced any losses of performance with this board vs others.
I have on the test bench several different x570 boards and using the same drive I've tested real quick just for curiosity sake after reading this thread.

Meg x570 Unify - latest release bios: vA2
Aorus x570 Master - latest release bios: F11
Dive tested: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB - installed into the primary socket on each motherboard (Connecting to CPU directly via PCIe 4.0 x4) using the heat-sink also provided from each board.

Capture 1 is from the Unify
Capture 2 is from the Master

I did not attach the captures from tests using a Samsung EVO 860 1 TB 2.5" SSD because well they were reflective of the other results i.e., with in testing tolerances and this post is already a candidate for TLDR. But, if anyone would like to see the results from that testing or using Samsung 960 or Western Digital NVMe drives, I can share.  I will tell you that the numbers are consistent across the Master and Unify x570s and a x470 Taichi and Asus Crosshair VII Hero (PCIe 4.0 not available on those boards but the PCIe 3 and SATA SSD results were on par)

Updated: Added Capture 3 - this is a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB  2.5" SATA - currently attached to x570 Unify
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, pg279q
CH VII Hero, 2700X, 32GB GSkill c14 @3200, 960pro 512, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, HX850, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

schrotty33

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #12 on: 10-January-20, 00:36:19 »

I have the same problem, The read speed is ok but the write speed is very low. On my Intel z390 i get with my SSD write speed over 530, with the Unify i have under 420. I use the latest Bios.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #13 on: 10-January-20, 03:22:50 »

your result matches what moderator posts here, better wait for solution from AMD. :bonk:

Bloot

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #14 on: 10-January-20, 13:31:27 »

Same problem here, with my two Crucial MX300 750GB drives, they scored around 1200 on AS SSD benchmark on my previous X370 Crosshair VI Hero motherboard, now they only score aorund 750 on the X570 Unify :(

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: 10-January-20, 14:21:53 »

Unfortunately X570 chipset is the problem. Or AGESA that it uses. Can't really tell, and got to wait for AMD's response.

Bloot

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #16 on: 10-January-20, 14:33:36 »

Thanks, hope it can get sorted soon because it's a huge loss in performance

Bloot

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #17 on: 05-February-20, 14:01:57 »

No solution yet? I installed today my C6H and the difference is really huge :(

Unify

Crosshair VI

Also noticed AS SSD does not detect correctly the model and firmware on the Unify.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #18 on: 05-February-20, 21:30:01 »

compare ssd performance on 2 different chipset (x570/x370) when it is clearly a chipset compatibility problem. not the most brilliant idea i've seen today though :cry: it's been confirmed ASUS X570 has the same problem so better start hunting AMD for this :bonk:

imwechs

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #19 on: 06-February-20, 00:18:37 »

I do not know where you come up with this general statement on ssd's speeds. I have a  2TB Sabrent NVMe pciE gen 4 drive. I benchmarked it on OTTO . I got maximum sequential read speed of 5.5 GB/ second and sequential write speed of 5 GB/second on my MSI MEG Ace X570.  I uploaded the Otto benchmark on overclock.net AMD motherboard forum on the MSI MEG X570 Ace thread and on the MSI X570 MEG Unify thread.

Bloot

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #20 on: 06-February-20, 03:47:19 »

compare ssd performance on 2 different chipset (x570/x370) when it is clearly a chipset compatibility problem. not the most brilliant idea i've seen today though :cry: it's been confirmed ASUS X570 has the same problem so better start hunting AMD for this :bonk:
I am asking because I can still return the Unify, I would like to keep it but in my case the ssd performance loss is unbearable, so I would like to know if anyone here knew if a fix was coming soon before returning it, I can't believe AMD couldn't sort it after so long.

Thanks.

Bloot

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #21 on: 06-February-20, 03:49:39 »

I am asking because I can still return the Unify, I would like to keep it but in my case the ssd performance loss is unbearable, so I would like to know if anyone here knew if a fix was coming soon before returning it, I can't believe AMD couldn't sort it after so long.

Thanks.
It does not happen on nvme devices (I also have a 970 evo and speeds are ok), it happens on sata 6gb ssd and depends on the ssd controller afaik. Bad luck for me.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 06-February-20, 15:47:12 »

Thanks.
There's many things AMD didn't fix for a long time, and never will. Who knows what will happen with this stuff.

mojehey398Topic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #23 on: 03-March-20, 09:22:18 »

So been sitting on this Support Ticket Reply for a month:

About this issue, we have reflect to the relevant department, they are working on it, it may take some time. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Doesn't look like anything is going to happen any time soon - if ever.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 03-March-20, 14:23:26 »

You could go and chase AMD with this. If AMD fixes their microcode, MSI will patch it in BIOS release.  There's nothing MSI can do without AMD's microcode. 

creativeimpulses

• SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 22-March-20, 08:42:13 »

The issue still exists. All my 860 EVO drives are castrated. The issue also shows itself on the X570 boards from Gigabyte but in a lesser severity. The Unify has really neutered it's sata ports more than other boards.

My B450M Mortar and Mortar MAX are running full speed. Shame on yourself MSI for not having fixed this yet. it has been months and people have reported the issue in tickets many times. 

The last response for us having to complain with AMD is kind of rude. It's MSI that needs to complain with AMD that it's products are not being able to perform for it's customers.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 22-March-20, 14:23:19 »

The last response for us having to complain with AMD is kind of rude. It's MSI that needs to complain with AMD that it's products are not being able to perform for it's customers.
MSI already done it. But it's AMD, I don't have any expectations from that "company".

Bloot

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #27 on: 23-March-20, 18:47:56 »

I ended up returning this board, and glad I did it, ssd performance is really really bad. Don't know if it happens on other boards too, but I agree we costumers should not deal with AMD, if MSI is selling this board with such a catastrophic bug or problem or wahtever it may be, MSI should find a satisfactory solution ASAP, and it is working like this since launch day... Such a shame, because otherwise the board is really good :(

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #28 on: 23-March-20, 21:34:16 »

so you ended up with another board with exactly the same problem! :confused2:  good luck then

creativeimpulses

• SERGEANT
« Reply #29 on: 07-April-20, 03:58:38 »

MSI already done it. But it's AMD, I don't have any expectations from that "company".
I have no idea how you became a moderator but your attitude towards other companies than your fanboyism allow you is just disgusting. 

As a moderator you are expected to be neutral and do your job moderating. Not showing bias to one or another company. I expect maturity and support from you. Not this childish attitude. It's great you have posters of intel on the wall but you can keep that private to yourself. 

I hope from now on you can show more support and do your job as a moderator. We all just want to enjoy our products as intended.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #30 on: 07-April-20, 05:06:27 »

not trying to choose side here but honestly, this problem is affecting all X570 platform, doesn't matter whether is this company or that company. What moderators is trying to tell here is the problem had been reported to AMD and until now, AMD hasn't really got back with any solution. 
both Intel and AMD could get user really frustrated sometimes ;-((

creativeimpulses

• SERGEANT
« Reply #31 on: 07-April-20, 05:54:07 »

I completely agree with that mate. Brands can all be frustrating. Just looking for a solution.

schrotty33

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #32 on: 08-April-20, 02:45:54 »

I have the same issues and i use the latest Beta Bios but this not fix the problem.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #33 on: 08-April-20, 03:09:34 »

everyone is waiting for solution here :bonk:
Pages: [1]   Go Up