Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: B450 Tomahawk not posting with Ryzen 3600  (Read 75582 times)

sdpclarkTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
B450 Tomahawk not posting with Ryzen 3600
« on: 08-July-19, 11:23:00 »

Hey Team,

Just asking you guys if you have any tips for me. I have a B450 Tomahawk updated to the latest v18 bios and am getting no display and a red EZ Debug CPU light. I've tried resetting CMOS, taking out the battery, one stick of ram, basically everything to no avail. I tried the board with my 1600 and it works and I took the 3600 and put it in an old ASUS b350 and that works.

Anyone else have this issue, or any pointers for me?

Thanks in advance!

Lithe_Leaf

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: B450 Tomahawk not posting with Ryzen 3600
« Reply #1 on: 08-July-19, 12:21:00 »

I'm in the exact same position. I've tried everything. First, I thought the mobo was faulty, but now I'm starting to think we might have to wait for an updated BIOS from MSI.

I've actually managed to get it to post twice, and the BIOS would display the right version. Upon reboot, however, it's back to the red "CPU" LED error, no post.

magzire

• SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 08-July-19, 12:46:12 »

Just great, this is exactly what I ordered.
The first time going AMD and i even said it to my friend jokingly probably won't boot. And now seeing this, pff.

magzire

• SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 08-July-19, 12:53:34 »

Has anyone actually got a working 3rd gen on this board?

Lithe_Leaf

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Has anyone actually got a working 3rd gen on this board?
Some people that I've talked with on reddit has. Seemed to work for them just fine, if not instantly, after a few attempts in flashing the newest BIOS.

sdpclarkTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 08-July-19, 14:48:56 »

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues too but glad it's not just me. I got it to post once as well, but once I turned it off and plugged all the peripherals in it stopped working again.

I'll keep trying to flash but I hope they rush another bios out the door quickly.

magzire

• SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 08-July-19, 17:05:45 »

Just wondering did you format the usb stick to fat32? I heard it took someone 3 times with flashback to finally work.

sdpclarkTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 08-July-19, 19:27:54 »

Yep flashed it multiple times. I've got my old 1600 in there now and it's fine. I'm going to wait for an updated BIOS or at least a response from the tech support team I think.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #8 on: 08-July-19, 22:05:41 »

how did you flash the BIOS?

sdpclarkTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 09-July-19, 09:05:52 »

From M bios multiple times, from Flashback multiple times - no dice.

anti-duck

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 09-July-19, 10:52:23 »

Can I just ask what lights on your motherboard illuminates, if any? My friend is having exactly the same issue as you, but the only light that illuminates is the CPU light. Surely during POST the other diagnostic lights should illuminate too?

Lithe_Leaf

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Can I just ask what lights on your motherboard illuminates, if any? My friend is having exactly the same issue as you, but the only light that illuminates is the CPU light. Surely during POST the other diagnostic lights should illuminate too?

The lights on the side of the motherboard, or the EZ debug LEDs for CPU/GPU/etc.? For the former, it has looked like this for me: blue = fail, red = success. For the latter, only the CPU LED has been on for me. Though I did have both a GPU and RAM installed the few times I managed to get it to POST.

anti-duck

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 09-July-19, 13:57:19 »

The lights on the side of the motherboard, or the EZ debug LEDs for CPU/GPU/etc.? For the former, it has looked like this for me: blue = fail, red = success. For the latter, only the CPU LED has been on for me. Though I did have both a GPU and RAM installed the few times I managed to get it to POST.

Nice one, cheers. Yep, my friend is experiencing exactly the same - Ryzen 5 3600 + B450 Tomahawk with v18 BIOS.

magzire

• SERGEANT
« Reply #13 on: 09-July-19, 14:28:49 »

Not contact msi support?

quiz

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #14 on: 09-July-19, 14:54:58 »

Not contact msi support?

I contacted MSI support yesterday during my lunch break, and I was told that they didn't plan on releasing anymore BIOS updates for the boards. I told the operator that I was not the only person having these issues, and that there is a multitude of people on Reddit and even their own forums having the same issue. She said that she'd talk to someone higher up about mentioning it to developers. I won't lie when I say that I'm pretty heated. I made sure I was one of the first people in line at microcenter Sunday just to have a brick with fans attached to it.

Lithe_Leaf

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #15 on: 09-July-19, 15:16:50 »

I contacted MSI support yesterday during my lunch break, and I was told that they didn't plan on releasing anymore BIOS updates for the boards
I really, really hope there was some kind of misunderstanding/information here, because if not, I need to know so I can return my mobo ASAP.

enervate

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #16 on: 09-July-19, 15:35:34 »

A couple people on Reddit have the Tomahawk b450 + Ryzen 3000 and what worked for them is to first use flashback for V17, THEN do the update with V18. I'm waiting for my 3700x or else I would try it.

Lithe_Leaf

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #17 on: 09-July-19, 15:38:09 »

A couple people on Reddit have the Tomahawk b450 + Ryzen 3000 and what worked for them is to first use flashback for V17, THEN do the update with V18. I'm waiting for my 3700x or else I would try it.
I've tried it twice for good measure, no luck.

Choega

• PRIVATE E-2

Exactly the same situation here. Same mobo + CPU. Got them today. At first, the CPU light turns red, then the VGA one and the CPU one turns off. The backlight also turns red. All this without even a second of screentime. I have no display at all, not even a MSI splash screen.

Tried the v17 and then v18 trick. With the v17 I again have no screen, but the backlight does not turn red. Either way, I can do absolutely nothing. If MSI does not fix this soon I am returning this board.

magzire

• SERGEANT
« Reply #19 on: 09-July-19, 16:31:53 »

Honestly dont see how that would make a difference what bios was before, its completely wiped new.

dezcallander

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I'm getting a similar problem with a B450 Carbon Pro no video after bios update for Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen 3600

quiz

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #21 on: 09-July-19, 17:42:07 »

Exactly the same situation here. Same mobo + CPU. Got them today. At first, the CPU light turns red, then the VGA one and the CPU one turns off. The backlight also turns red. All this without even a second of screentime. I have no display at all, not even a MSI splash screen.

Tried the v17 and then v18 trick. With the v17 I again have no screen, but the backlight does not turn red. Either way, I can do absolutely nothing. If MSI does not fix this soon I am returning this board.
This is the exact timeline of my boot sequence everytime, without fail. I was beginning to think that it was my GPU at fault, but it seems to be operating fine. This is really discouraging to me, as it is my first time building my own desktop. I know that we're kind of the guinea pigs for buying 3rd gen ryzen so early, but this is ridiculous. MSI could at least release some sort of statement in regards to this issue.

milanhundersmarck01

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #22 on: 09-July-19, 17:56:07 »

This is the exact timeline of my boot sequence everytime, without fail. I was beginning to think that it was my GPU at fault, but it seems to be operating fine. This is really discouraging to me, as it is my first time building my own desktop. I know that we're kind of the guinea pigs for buying 3rd gen ryzen so early, but this is ridiculous. MSI could at least release some sort of statement in regards to this issue.
Totally agree,
You know it's my first time building a pc. Spend a lot of money and when I was able to put it together I was so happy. But the moment you find out it doesn't work and its a fault of MSI it's just disappointing.  And how long do they expect us to wait? Days? Weeks? Months?

sdpclarkTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #23 on: 09-July-19, 18:54:09 »

I randomly just got mine to POST once. But then when you go into the bios and exit it won't load. Pretty clearly a BIOS issue with certain revisions on the board. I've emailed support but nothing yet, and I agree they better say something soon otherwise I'll return this as well.

sdpclarkTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #24 on: 09-July-19, 19:12:10 »

MSI on FB told me that the bios is "compatible but not stable" whatever that means....

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #25 on: 10-July-19, 00:06:06 »

can you try unplug 24 pins power connector from motherboard, let it sit for 5 mins and try again?

jordanalexearle

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #26 on: 10-July-19, 09:40:22 »

Have they announced that they are going to release an update yet?  I still cant get mine to work and I've flashed it multiple times.  It seems pointless and at this point Im going to return this motherboard.

Lithe_Leaf

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #27 on: 10-July-19, 14:25:45 »

Have they announced that they are going to release an update yet?  I still cant get mine to work and I've flashed it multiple times.  It seems pointless and at this point Im going to return this motherboard.

I heard Friday at the earliest from an MSI representative on their reddit page. Not sure if I'm allowed to link it here.

pjfsmith86

• CORPORAL
« Reply #28 on: 10-July-19, 15:24:22 »

I am having precisely this problem with my B450 Pro Carbon. It posted once and I got into BIOS and changed my XMP profile. Saved, restarted and now my system won't post. I've removed all of my components and reseated them, reset the CMOS about 15 times, reflashed the BIOS with the latest compatible version for the 3600. I'm going mad wondering if i've damaged my RAM or my motherboard or if it's 'just' a bios problem.

With the diagnosis lights - my CPU light comes on for about 5 seconds when I first power up, then goes off. There are no other warning lights. Anyone else finding this?

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #29 on: 10-July-19, 20:03:56 »

can someone at least list their full system config @@

buddyw53

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #30 on: 10-July-19, 20:34:38 »

When you are resetting CMOS are you also taking the battery out as well as disconnecting power?

This sounds like the 'soft brick' problem gigabyte boards had with early Gen1 BIOS'.  You had to pull the battery and wait a bit, doing CMOS reset, and then it would start.

quiz

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #31 on: 11-July-19, 07:32:45 »

I am having precisely this problem with my B450 Pro Carbon. It posted once and I got into BIOS and changed my XMP profile. Saved, restarted and now my system won't post. I've removed all of my components and reseated them, reset the CMOS about 15 times, reflashed the BIOS with the latest compatible version for the 3600. I'm going mad wondering if i've damaged my RAM or my motherboard or if it's 'just' a bios problem.

With the diagnosis lights - my CPU light comes on for about 5 seconds when I first power up, then goes off. There are no other warning lights. Anyone else finding this?
I picked up an X570 yesterday, and my system booted right away. It's definitely the B450 beta bios causing these issues. MSI lost a customer

anticake

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #32 on: 11-July-19, 09:22:33 »

Hm, I had some problems getting it to work at first--I had to take the 1500X out of my b350m board, flashback+ the earlier supported non-beta driver (so the 1500X would post), then I updated to 1.8 and booted with the 3600. However, there's definitely something wrong with the booting, because both times I've booted in the past two days I've turned the computer on, gotten the red LED and no splash screen... then held down the power button and turned it on again and it's booted normally.

I'm not sure if that's worth a try for anyone else, but maybe?

stephendeluce

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #33 on: 12-July-19, 10:55:23 »

I had exactly the same issue. As long as I had an xmp enabled...... No post. No xmp it was fine. Try it as default with no xmp enabled.

magzire

• SERGEANT
« Reply #34 on: 12-July-19, 11:59:23 »

Did someone mention that a new bios is coming out on friday?

martinhales1980

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #35 on: 12-July-19, 12:32:37 »

It's out now mate, I'm just trying it - if this doesnt work its all getting returned

pjfsmith86

• CORPORAL
« Reply #36 on: 12-July-19, 12:41:00 »

It's out now mate, I'm just trying it - if this doesnt work its all getting returned

Is it actually a new release? It has the same version number as the beta bios that's been causing problems for everyone.

pjfsmith86

• CORPORAL
« Reply #37 on: 12-July-19, 12:48:31 »

Someone on Reddit said Friday at the earliest. They've added a link to the 17M beta on the support page but as far as I can see it's not a new version. We may have to wait for the alpha release for anything to happen.

martinhales1980

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #38 on: 12-July-19, 12:53:09 »

Is it actually a new release? It has the same version number as the beta bios that's been causing problems for everyone.

it's version 18 mate, would have thought that they'd fix whatever was wrong with the beta - can't imagine they'd just sling a broken bios onto the mainstream

martinhales1980

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #39 on: 12-July-19, 12:55:22 »

Someone on Reddit said Friday at the earliest. They've added a link to the 17M beta on the support page but as far as I can see it's not a new version. We may have to wait for the alpha release for anything to happen.

Thinking about it they probably have :P I've just flashed version 18 on a b450 mortar and the board still wont post with a 3600.
I've just got everything ready to return to Amazon, MSI wont get a penny from me for a very long time - usless

pjfsmith86

• CORPORAL
« Reply #40 on: 12-July-19, 12:59:37 »

Thinking about it they probably have :P I've just flashed version 18 on a b450 mortar and the board still wont post with a 3600.
I've just got everything ready to return to Amazon, MSI wont get a penny from me for a very long time - usless

I've just RMA'd my B450 Pro Carbon and told them I don't want it back until they can get it working with a 3600. I'd rather stump up for an X570 than persist with this.

martinhales1980

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #41 on: 12-July-19, 13:04:58 »

I've just RMA'd my B450 Pro Carbon and told them I don't want it back until they can get it working with a 3600. I'd rather stump up for an X570 than persist with this.

Yeah it's rubbish for the b450 boards the launch is looking like a complete failure. The F-flash/diagnostic led's are next to useless (what happened to a beep?!) I'm not even sure F-flash has completed as the whole board turns off then on again.

I'm not made of money, if i have to RMA a board and get a new one, I'm out of pocket for two boards until I get the refund on one. Least MSI can do it make sure their s**t works

magzire

• SERGEANT
« Reply #42 on: 12-July-19, 13:07:39 »

My first MSI product and be the last. I was waiting till friday, now i'll just return it on monday.

pjfsmith86

• CORPORAL
« Reply #43 on: 12-July-19, 13:13:23 »

Yeah it's rubbish for the b450 boards the launch is looking like a complete failure. The F-flash/diagnostic led's are next to useless (what happened to a beep?!) I'm not even sure F-flash has completed as the whole board turns off then on again.

I'm not made of money, if i have to RMA a board and get a new one, I'm out of pocket for two boards until I get the refund on one. Least MSI can do it make sure their s**t works

No I'm totally with you on that. Theres no obvious way to tell if your flashback has been successful. It's a complete joke. I bought MSI on the basis that they said their B450 boards would be compatible and that a new bios would be made available. It's a complete farce that nothing they've released seems to work for most people and there's zero communication or reassurance that they're working to fix it. 

This must be affecting thousands of people and they appear not to care. Takes the :censored: that for a long time they had a snarky message on the support page saying "stop asking us when bios will be ready, well we'll announce it when it is" and then they release a non-working beta with reduced functionality AFTER the release date of the chips.

Won't be using MSI again.

martinhales1980

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #44 on: 12-July-19, 13:36:17 »

No I'm totally with you on that. Theres no obvious way to tell if your flashback has been successful. It's a complete joke. I bought MSI on the basis that they said their B450 boards would be compatible and that a new bios would be made available. It's a complete farce that nothing they've released seems to work for most people and there's zero communication or reassurance that they're working to fix it. This must be affecting thousands of people and they appear not to care. Takes the :censored: that for a long time they had a snarky message on the support page saying "stop asking us when bios will be ready, well we'll announce it when it is" and then they release a non-working beta with reduced functionality AFTER the release date of the chips. Won't be using MSI again.

Its a joke mate, actually false advertising as well. I bought my stuff on the premise that it will be ready and it seems like it's not even close. It's not like MSI only got hold of the chips on launce day, god knows how long they've had to get ready...

pjfsmith86

• CORPORAL
« Reply #45 on: 12-July-19, 13:53:12 »

Its a joke mate, actually false advertising as well. I bought my stuff on the premise that it will be ready and it seems like it's not even close. It's not like MSI only got hold of the chips on launce day, god knows how long they've had to get ready...

It is. The really stupid thing is these are THEIR FORUMS. Perfect place to reassure people that support is coming or offer advice. Instead it's just a wall of silence.

hyuc.nadie

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #46 on: 12-July-19, 13:54:59 »

I'm going to copy/paste the reply i left on reddit:

Happened to me on my msi tomahawk b450 with a ryzen 3700x: Flashing new bios apparently was ok (7C02v18).
  • First try the system didn't boot at all, CPU debug led was on, gpu fans didn't turned on.
  • After a CMOS reset the system started beeping, RAM led on.
  • Removed one stick of ram (ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB 3000 MHZ BLACK AX4U300038G16-SBG)
  • System went through to the bios, ram was set as 2666 mhz (from a 3000 mhz kit).
  • Enabled XMP profile to match my sticks, after the system restarted it was again stuck at the CPU led.
  • Lost count on cmos reset by removing the battery, after about 20 tries of booting, only 2 times i was able to boot into the bios, but nothing else i could do.

I've read that some people could make it work, even some famous tech youtubers have it working, i think wendell and epos vox uploaded a video about the performance of the ryzen third gen using this same board.
What are we doing incorrectly, or why does it work for some and not for others?

pjfsmith86

• CORPORAL
« Reply #47 on: 12-July-19, 14:08:29 »

• System went through to the bios, ram was set as 2666 mhz (from a 3000 mhz kit).
  • Enabled XMP profile to match my sticks, after the system restarted it was again stuck at the CPU led.
  • Lost count on cmos reset by removing the battery, after about 20 tries of booting, only 2 times i was able to boot into the bios, but nothing else i could do.
Exactly the same experience as me. What kind of Beta bios update bricks a motherboard if you enable an XMP profile? More to the point... what kind of motherboard can't actually be reset to factory settings by removing the cmos battery? It's like its just doing a soft reset and not actually clearing anything.

The only thing I can suggest is that probably the people (YouTubers etc.) who are simply running performance tests for the CPUs aren't bothering to go into the bios to change the XMP profile for their RAM as they're not interested in that side of the performance.

hyuc.nadie

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #48 on: 12-July-19, 14:18:21 »

Exactly the same experience as me. What kind of Beta bios update bricks a motherboard if you enable an XMP profile? More to the point... what kind of motherboard can't actually be reset to factory settings by removing the cmos battery? It's like its just doing a soft reset and not actually clearing anything.

The only thing I can suggest is that probably the people (YouTubers etc.) who are simply running performance tests for the CPUs aren't bothering to go into the bios to change the XMP profile for their RAM as they're not interested in that side of the performance.

I mean, whatever the case may be with them, they were able to fully boot to be able to install windows and run all the benchmarks they wanted, i can't even get it to reset after changing anything on the bios for it to decide it doesn't want to boot anymore.

urgelacko

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #49 on: 12-July-19, 14:28:10 »

I'm going to copy/paste the reply i left on reddit:

Happened to me on my msi tomahawk b450 with a ryzen 3700x: Flashing new bios apparently was ok (7C02v18).
  • First try the system didn't boot at all, CPU debug led was on, gpu fans didn't turned on.
  • After a CMOS reset the system started beeping, RAM led on.
  • Removed one stick of ram (ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB 3000 MHZ BLACK AX4U300038G16-SBG)

I've read that some people could make it work, even some famous tech youtubers have it working, i think wendell and epos vox uploaded a video about the performance of the ryzen third gen using this same board.
What are we doing incorrectly, or why does it work for some and not for others?
Exactly the same is happening here but a with a 3600. Twice got into BIOS, never again. I think I have tried everything...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up